Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Helter Skelter posted:

The automatic brightness setting doesn't seem to work at all for me with CM7, so I turned that off and use a series of toggles with SwitchPro (10%/30%/70%) instead.

That bothered me about CM7. stock 2.3 seems to be pretty good about autobrightness, but the CM7 options never quite got it right, even after setting up custom lux levels and hysteresis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Casao posted:

Basically, ondemand is the best, unless you underclock you don't magically see better battery life from CPU changes.

Ondemand on a CM7 nightly on my Evo resulted in me having to hit the power button 3x to wake it up. Once, no response, twice, it turns on and back off, third time it actually comes on.

Is it possible to set custom percentages within the brightness setting in the notification widget, aside from the preset groups CM7 has coded in? I want to remove the Auto option from the rotation since I never use it.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Is anyone having issues with google talk not synching on cm7?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

rotaryfun posted:

Can I get a recommendation on a Rom? I'd prefer a more stable one if possible. I was looking at CM7 but I guess they just came out with release candidate 2? How is it on the OG Droid?

I'm running CM7 RC2, it may just be on my phone but I have problems with apps sometimes not installing and I once had to pull the battery after using the camera. Aside from that it's nice and snappy.

There's a lot of love for MIUI in this thread but when I tried it for the Droid it was pretty sluggish even with overclocking.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Thornes posted:

There's a lot of love for MIUI in this thread but when I tried it for the Droid it was pretty sluggish even with overclocking.
To be fair, the droid has half the ram of almost any other phone in this thread. MIUI might be more RAM dependent than other ROM's, as it was originally developed for the N1. I'm surprised the droid is still so well supported, despite its limitations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm having a really tough time flashing to a rom. I decided to go with cyanogenmod v6 until v7 was in stable release.

I go into Rom Manager and went to download rom. Went through the download and it came up that it was going to restart and install. Sweet. Only when it restarted, the stock recovery image was in place rather than the clockworkmod recovery image. Went back into Rom Manager and reapplied clockworkmod recovery image and was able to reboot into it no problem. But anytime after that initial reboot, it's like the recovery image gets overwritten back to the stock. Any ideas with this one?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

rotaryfun posted:

But anytime after that initial reboot, it's like the recovery image gets overwritten back to the stock. Any ideas with this one?

ROM Manager is a goddamn pain in the rear end on every Droid I've tried. Download the ROM manually and put it on your SD card somewhere where you can find it (a directory named ROMs perhaps?). Run ROM manager and tell it to flash the recovery twice and then tell it to reboot into recovery, then do whatever it is you want to do in clockwork.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Ok cool. The thing I'm worried is what happens if after the first time that I run clockworkmod to install cm6, the kernal isn't correct so it just sits there at the M. I wont be able to get back into clockworkmod would I to run a restore?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it possible to set custom percentages within the brightness setting in the notification widget, aside from the preset groups CM7 has coded in? I want to remove the Auto option from the rotation since I never use it.
Sadly, no. As mentioned earlier, I use the extremely customizable SwitchPro Widget for it.

rotaryfun posted:

Ok cool. The thing I'm worried is what happens if after the first time that I run clockworkmod to install cm6, the kernal isn't correct so it just sits there at the M. I wont be able to get back into clockworkmod would I to run a restore?
The ROM (CM6 in this instance) and the recovery (clockworkmod) are two entirely separate entities. You'd have to try very hard and very specifically to break the phone enough that you couldn't get back into recovery. And even then you could probably still get back into HBOOT and reflash a working recovery image.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

I've never used a Droid, but on the N1 you can't reboot the phone with the stock ROM without restoring the stock recovery.

What you should do is put the ROM.zip and GApps.zip in the root of your SD card, install Clockwork Recovery (however that's done on the Droid), boot into recovery, wipe (data/cache/dalvik), flash the ROM, flash the GApps, then reboot.

If you want to save your call log and SMSs, make sure you back those up first using apps on the Market.

Like Doctor rear end in a top hat, I wouldn't use ROM Manager to do things- just boot into recovery to do nandroids, wipes, flashes, etc. To me it just seems easier to do everything from recovery with the added benefit of knowing it got done correctly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

rotaryfun posted:

So you can't get into recovery by holding down X (at least I think it's X) when you reboot? If you can't get to recovery and can't boot, you'll have to SBF.

e: That link to the SBF might not be the right file. I've never done it before on an OG droid, but you probably need to find the right SBF for your bootloader version (displayed when you go into bootloader mode).

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 16, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TheReverend posted:

Is anyone having issues with google talk not synching on cm7?

I did on an old version of the rom with an old version of google talk. Make sure to update your gApps.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

rotaryfun posted:

If doing a backup through rom manager, what is the need for the titanium backup app? TB will allow to just restore all your apps from the previous rom to a new rom while the rom manager backup with restore a whole rom, if I understand it correctly?

just bear in mind that rom manager is a piece of poo poo and any backups you make with it a liable to not work. always backup with titanium first. Or use RA recovery its piss easy to install.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

just bear in mind that rom manager is a piece of poo poo and any backups you make with it a liable to not work. always backup with titanium first. Or use RA recovery its piss easy to install.

This is completely not true, FYI.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

LastInLine posted:

What you should do is put the ROM.zip and GApps.zip in the root of your SD card, install Clockwork Recovery (however that's done on the Droid), boot into recovery, wipe (data/cache/dalvik), flash the ROM, flash the GApps, then reboot.

This is what I did. However, I forgot to wipe (data/cache/dalvik), before I flashed it. It's now sitting at the cyanogen boot screen. Been here for the last 20-30 mins... help?

EDIT: I was able to hold x this time to get into clockworkmod. I wiped all the data/cache/dalvik and am currently going through the cyanogenmod flash again. I was worried because previously I was only able to get into clockworkmod the one time before it reset.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 16, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Casao posted:

Yeah....what? I've only had one backup not work and I'm pretty sure it had something to do with user error at the time.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

travisray2004 posted:

Yeah....what? I've only had one backup not work and I'm pretty sure it had something to do with user error at the time.
I will say that I've taken to using RA Recovery over Clockwork on my EVO lately because (a) for a while I couldn't even reboot into Clockwork; it would take me to the hboot thing instead and (b) RA Recovery will backup wimax keys [although maybe Clockwork does that now, too, I don't know]

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

travisray2004 posted:

Especially considering ROM Manager just throws you into a NANDROID from your recovery.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Casao posted:

out of 5 backups I have tried guess how many have worked? gently caress all. And im sorry but backs up correctly most of the time is not adequate for something that you rely on to back things up. Whats the point of a backup if there is a chance it didn't work?

Edit: not forgetting clockworks half assed sd formatting and complete lack of the full wipe wiping anything but the user data.

Solly fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 16, 2011

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I flashed my first ROM yesterday. I'm running CM7 RC2 on my OG Droid and holy poo poo is it smooth. Glad I did it.

The one problem I've found is that apparently there's no WMA support? I've read that this may be a Gingerbread thing but regardless it's a bummer as a large portion of my music is older stuff that I'd ripped as WMA files back in the day. Anyone know of a simple, free mass format converter? I don't want to have to drag my CDs out of storage and re-rip all this stuff.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm completely loving new to ROMs and I thought that ROM Manager was a god send. It gave me no trouble and made the process very, very easy.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Solly posted:

out of 5 backups I have tried guess how many have worked? gently caress all. And im sorry but backs up correctly most of the time is not adequate for something that you rely on to back things up. Whats the point of a backup if there is a chance it didn't work?

Edit: not forgetting clockworks half assed sd formatting and complete lack of the full wipe wiping anything but the user data.

Your weird hiccups are not even close to the norm, Cyanogen wouldn't include something lovely that barely worked in his ROM. I've made a ton of backups over the past 6 months or so via CWR and never had a single one not work.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

Your weird hiccups are not even close to the norm, Cyanogen wouldn't include something lovely that barely worked in his ROM. I've made a ton of backups over the past 6 months or so via CWR and never had a single one not work.

This is true I have been through just about everything that can go wrong with the whole rooting/rom process. Ra is still much better laid out and I see no real need for the rom manager side of clockwork other than the fact that it looks less scary to new people. And RA has the bonus of actually wiping everything with one click instead of just saying its doing that.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

This is true I have been through just about everything that can go wrong with the whole rooting/rom process. Ra is still much better laid out and I see no real need for the rom manager side of clockwork other than the fact that it looks less scary to new people. And RA has the bonus of actually wiping everything with one click instead of just saying its doing that.

Wipe wipes /data and /cache, that's what it's supposed to wipe. What the hell else do you expect it to wipe?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Casao posted:

Wipe wipes /data and /cache, that's what it's supposed to wipe. What the hell else do you expect it to wipe?

This. Are you referring to formatting the sdcard? There's an option for that in the preferences and in my opinion, I'd rather that the recovery not touch my sdcard

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Plus if you're lazy, automatic nandroid and flashing of an update.zip is a pretty great set it and forget it feature.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Plus if you're lazy, automatic nandroid and flashing of an update.zip is a pretty great set it and forget it feature.

Yeah, being able to say "Download this rom, do a backup and flash it" all at once is 100x better than doing it manually.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Actually while we're on the topic of recoveries, I've always done this for I don't know what reason but I always wipe my phone, reboot recovery, then install rom but read on the MIUI forum this morning that you should wipe and install new roms in the same session. Any ideas as to why or why not this might be better?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm returning my Desire soon, and I'm trying to flash it back to a stock ROM, only I can't get it to work.

I've tried unrooting using SuperOneClick, I've tried to flash a stock Desire RUU (with a goldcard it gives me ERROR [132] SIGNATURE ERROR and without a goldcard just won't work because it's not the same CID as my Orange UK Desire).

I just basically want to unroot, unflash clockworkmod recovery, undo literally everything I've done to it so far, but nothing I can find seems to work. Any ideas?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

travisray2004 posted:

Actually while we're on the topic of recoveries, I've always done this for I don't know what reason but I always wipe my phone, reboot recovery, then install rom but read on the MIUI forum this morning that you should wipe and install new roms in the same session. Any ideas as to why or why not this might be better?

No, won't matter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Solly posted:

While I can't speak for anything before about 9 months ago, CWM has never failed a backup for me. I went through ROMs like candy, trying a new Sense ROM every few weeks and occasionally checking in on CyanogenMod, until Team Win did their WiMax stuff and made AOSP usable for me. Not once did a backup fail to restore properly.

I'm on Amon Ra now, but only because it was either that or the early Clockwork 3.0 builds which were risky on Evos to run CM7 and I don't really have a good reason to switch back now that Clockwork 3 is stable. As recoveries alone they're both equal as far as I see. ROM Manager is pretty nice too, so if you like it CWM has an advantage, if not who cares?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Casao posted:

AR formats the sd ext and batt stats as well also I can't say this is true for everyone but I've always had to wipe everything manually with clockwork to make it actually wipe anything. This discussion is pointless anyway since your so incredibly set in your ways. I'm just gonna throw this out there but I also dislike miui, not getting into that though, but whatever my phone seems to act very differently to everyone elses, but its stable since AR and it never was with clockwork. Maybe I just had a dodgey install who knows

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

AR formats the sd ext and batt stats as well also I can't say this is true for everyone but I've always had to wipe everything manually with clockwork to make it actually wipe anything. This discussion is pointless anyway since your so incredibly set in your ways. I'm just gonna throw this out there but I also dislike miui, not getting into that though, but whatever my phone seems to act very differently to everyone elses, but its stable since AR and it never was with clockwork. Maybe I just had a dodgey install who knows

You're in here complaining every day about something being wrong, I'm pretty sure your phone is hosed or you're managing to break your every install.

I'm not incredibly set in my ways, either - I've change my tune repeatedly on numerous different things when there was more than "IT DOESN'T WORK :mad:" to go on.

Edit: CWM 3.0 doesn't wipe SDEXT on a wipe, that's a bug he's apparently working on.

And I wouldn't want it wiping battery stats honestly, that would mean it has to recalibrate every single time you wipe and would give you poo poo battery life.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 16, 2011

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
I thought battery stats were in /data anyway?

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
In Solly's defence, I've also had similar problems from CWM and ROM manager. Things worked so much better after switching to AmonRA's recovery.

Maybe it's something specific to Desires, I dunno. Prefer doing everything from the recovery anyways :)

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

I Dont Like You posted:

I thought battery stats were in /data anyway?

I was wrong about the statts, just assumed something that was incorrect. I still stick by my statement that I personally prefer AR, but arguing about this sort of stuff with people on the internet is pretty loving pointless.

Anyway sorry for the derail.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Casao posted:

Those are not predetermined configurations, they're governors. They're the same ones you'd use with SetCPU, but they don't touch the actual clock speed min/max.

Basically, ondemand is the best, unless you underclock you don't magically see better battery life from CPU changes.

Is there somewhere I can find a description of how the governors are supposed to act? I think they're probably pretty self-explanatory, but I'd like some further information on it.

Helter Skelter posted:

SetCPU is really nice since you can set up profiles based on a number of conditions. I have it set up on my Evo with CM7 to clock down to 245MHz (the minimum) while the screen is off, and then a bunch of profiles based on whether or not it's plugged in and what the battery level is at. Once it gets below 70% I have it drop the top-end clockspeed down and switch from using the ondemand governor to conservative, which is a lot like ondemand except instead of jumpting instantly between minimum and maximum it ramps more gradually based on CPU load. This means that if something hits the CPU just briefly, it's not immediately maxing out the CPU speed if it doesn't need to. This can mean the phone sometimes feels a bit sluggish for a moment upon waking up, but it's still smooth under continual use and does wonders to help with battery life.

I may have to give SetCPU a look then...I wouldn't mind setting something like this up.

Helter Skelter posted:

Another thing is to make sure your screen brightness is set sanely. The automatic brightness setting doesn't seem to work at all for me with CM7, so I turned that off and use a series of toggles with SwitchPro (10%/30%/70%) instead.

Weird...the automatic brightness works just fine for me...though the "minimum brightness" isn't as dim as I'd like it to be. Is there a setting anywhere in CM7 that allows me to adjust this? I haven't come across one...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Is there somewhere I can find a description of how the governors are supposed to act? I think they're probably pretty self-explanatory, but I'd like some further information on it.
Performance = constantly running at 100%
Powersave = never running above minimum
Ondemand = on... demand

Ozmodiar posted:

Weird...the automatic brightness works just fine for me...though the "minimum brightness" isn't as dim as I'd like it to be. Is there a setting anywhere in CM7 that allows me to adjust this? I haven't come across one...
Settings > CM Settings > Display > Automatic Backlight settings

I personally like these settings.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

LastInLine posted:

Performance = constantly running at 100%
Powersave = never running above minimum
Ondemand = on... demand

Yeah...I got that much...

What about :
Interactive
Conservative
Userspace

Wile I'm asking, there's a checkbox for "Set on boot" - Restpre CPU Settings on Boot. Does this mean that whatever governor I select will not remain selected on a reboot unless I check that box?

LastInLine posted:

Settings > CM Settings > Display > Automatic Backlight settings
I personally like these settings.

I'll give those a go.

I don't understand the settings for the Custom Light Levels though...

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

EDIT: I was able to hold x this time to get into clockworkmod. I wiped all the data/cache/dalvik and am currently going through the cyanogenmod flash again. I was worried because previously I was only able to get into clockworkmod the one time before it reset.

Welp it came up this time. All is well. Am I missing out on anything by running launcher pro in cyanogen rather than ADW that it comes with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huh. Apparently the 3x power press with ondemand power settings was fixed in a nightly because I just checked my settings and it was back on ondemand, but I don't have the issue anymore.