Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

What's what website that lets you compare lenses/bodies side by side? You can choose lens and body combos from a drop down menu and then choose focal length and aperture etc. I can't remember what it's called and I can't find it on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Anmitzcuaca posted:

What's what website that lets you compare lenses/bodies side by side? You can choose lens and body combos from a drop down menu and then choose focal length and aperture etc. I can't remember what it's called and I can't find it on Google.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx

brad industry
May 22, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

I too am surprised and annoyed that frame manufacturers haven't picked up on the 3:2 ratio that's been the most common aspect ratio in consumer cameras for 50 years, yet. Custom framing is very expensive, I was quoted $70-100 per picture at a nearby custom framing shop; I didn't ask at the Michael's.

You're doing it wrong, frame sizes correlate to paper/mat board sizes. Buy an Ikea frame, buy mat board, have framing place cut mat board for a couple of bucks (or just buy a cheap mat cutter), combine.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I could certainly do that, but I'm annoyed that it's necessary. Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense that weirdo dimensions (like 11x14 - a loving prime number?) are based on something from inside the industry that I'm not exposed to. Are picture frames in metric-using countries (Europe) more commonly available in other sizes?

I don't understand mats at all. Presumably this is just me and my total ignorance of all things artistic, but I want my photos to go all the way to the edge of the frame, and not have an inch-wide border of empty space. This is easily achieved at 4x6, but not at larger sizes without cropping.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

ExecuDork posted:

... I don't understand mats at all. Presumably this is just me and my total ignorance of all things artistic, but I want my photos to go all the way to the edge of the frame, and not have an inch-wide border of empty space. This is easily achieved at 4x6, but not at larger sizes without cropping.

Mats provide a visual buffer inside the frame, a quiet negative space to help emphasize the print itself. Carefully chosen colored mats can boost certain colors in the print by proximity, or make it seem darker or lighter as needed. It's a little bit of surrounding environment that you can personally control, regardless of what the display wall ends up looking like.

They also prevent the print from touching the glass, which in certain circumstances can end up wrecking the print. Some paper coatings and inks can stick to the glass and get torn off if there's any humidity present. Acid-free mats provide a bit of protection against that. I don't recommend using the cheaper decorative mats, those can actually ruin the print over time.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Rockin' my way through Singapore Airport on the way (and return from) to England next month and I was wondering if I can get gear cheap in duty-free shops there? Had a google and can't really find any information. I'm from NZ and for me the cheapest store (online) is DWI Digital followed by B & H. Even though shipping for each costs roughly around $100 gear from there is 2/3-1/2 the price of the same gear here in NZ. Will ye shops of Singapore Airport be equal or less than that of those stores I listed?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Auditore posted:

Rockin' my way through Singapore Airport on the way (and return from) to England next month and I was wondering if I can get gear cheap in duty-free shops there? Had a google and can't really find any information. I'm from NZ and for me the cheapest store (online) is DWI Digital followed by B & H. Even though shipping for each costs roughly around $100 gear from there is 2/3-1/2 the price of the same gear here in NZ. Will ye shops of Singapore Airport be equal or less than that of those stores I listed?

I've yet to see cheap or even decent prices at any airport, despite how much they advertise tax free. See if you can get into the city itself.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
Have a look on the Club Snap forums, they are Singapore based and love discussing prices there, although the above poster is right, you are gonna get much better prices in the City itself. If you do make it there, avoid the shops around Orchard Road and head somewhere like Sim Lim Square. Insane density of shops all trying to out do eachother.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hiking season is coming up, and I'm hoping to do a few multi-day hikes and a couple of technical mountain climbs with a friend. I'd like to bring my DSLR (Canon 40D) but I have no idea how to protect something that's shaped like that and that fragile.

Weight and space are at an absolute premium, so I'm not considering an otterbox or some kind of kayaking dry case. For anything more than 3 days I try to carry everything in a 22 litre pack.

I may crosspost this to the W&W hiking thread if this isn't the kind of thing most people do.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

tuyop posted:

Hiking season is coming up, and I'm hoping to do a few multi-day hikes and a couple of technical mountain climbs with a friend. I'd like to bring my DSLR (Canon 40D) but I have no idea how to protect something that's shaped like that and that fragile.

Weight and space are at an absolute premium, so I'm not considering an otterbox or some kind of kayaking dry case. For anything more than 3 days I try to carry everything in a 22 litre pack.
I'm not sure how much my experience compares, but I've taken my camera skiing and hiking and if I'm ever doing something that needs two hands I just wrap the camera in a light sweatshirt and stick it at the top of my back pack. I'm sure it's not 100% safe but if my pack takes a hit it would be in the bottom or middle.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

tuyop posted:

I may crosspost this to the W&W hiking thread if this isn't the kind of thing most people do.

What about a Holster style carrier?

It wouldn't hold extra lenses and such but I don't think you'd be taking those anyways. It's light and compact and you should be able to attach it to other bags/belts/whatever.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

If its just the DSLR with one lens on it then just buy a basic case for that. One that fits it snugly. Then just put batteries/cards in your bag as they are pretty tough.

As long as your not falling off a cliff onto your back your camera won't have any problems. A rain cover for your bag though is a good idea if it doesnt have one.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Shrinking Universe posted:

Have a look on the Club Snap forums, they are Singapore based and love discussing prices there, although the above poster is right, you are gonna get much better prices in the City itself. If you do make it there, avoid the shops around Orchard Road and head somewhere like Sim Lim Square. Insane density of shops all trying to out do eachother.

Alright, I won't have time to go into the city and even then by the sounds of it I can get lenses about $200 cheaper on the internet stores I named.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

tuyop posted:

I use one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Cirrus-TLZ-15-Black/dp/B000TY1EES/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1VVKAYEZNPMHB&colid=3ME9OG4HVG34O
And I strap it up like a front pack most of the time. The rest of the time it's strapped to the back. I lightened it up a little by cutting off extraneous things and it's not horribly heavy.
My dry weight is at 15.4lbs with a T2i and lens, so it's a really nice setup.

e: Holy poo poo 22l is tiny. I'm using a 3600ci pack and that's jjuust enough.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 15, 2011

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I do backpacking and I do the same thing as that other person, wrap it up in a sweatshirt at the top. But I don't like the balance of a waistbelt, it bothers me when I'm walking, but you might be different. Honestly though, when weight is so important, I ended up ditching (on future hikes, not on one of them) the dslr and going with something smaller and much more manageable. It was just never worth the weight to me, that could've been like 80 bags of chips! Or you know, water.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fists Up posted:

If its just the DSLR with one lens on it then just buy a basic case for that. One that fits it snugly. Then just put batteries/cards in your bag as they are pretty tough.

As long as your not falling off a cliff onto your back your camera won't have any problems. A rain cover for your bag though is a good idea if it doesnt have one.

I just line the whole bag in a contractor garbage bag. It helps it to double as a raft when fording rivers in the spring!

Bonus picture of the pack I use before I went hiking in Kingston for four days. I just brought my S90.

As you can see, space is at a premium.

I just tried repacking with the 40D instead and I had to ditch a bit of food. Maybe I'll just try eating dry and leave the stove behind next time I go out. :ohdear:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

tuyop posted:

I use a Sea To Summit 15L drybag when I go rafting with my camera. Kind of a pain to undo and redo every time I want to use the camera, but it gives me absolute peace of mind about the camera staying dry.

I light fires
May 12, 2001
This is kind of an odd request and I hope its in the right thread, but does anyone have any familiarity with photo booth software and the like. I work for a non-profit whose finance exec went to a wedding, saw a photo booth there and has since convinced the rest of the board of directors that they need a photo booth for their events to be as successful as possible. Of course, they want to pay as little as humanly possible which rules outs renting a pro and as such I have been tasked with essentially building one for us to operate at all of our events.

What I have already

T2i
T1i
a reasonable assortment of lenses
1 canon 430ex II
reasonable quality tripod
mac book pro
lovely but working Acer windows 7 laptop
enough usb cables to hang myself with
plethora of regular windows computers I can destroy for parts
0-300 dollars CAD maybe 400 if I kiss rear end a bit

What I need

Printer
method of taking a series of 3-5 photos
method of automatically printing those photos

I know getting a decent printer is going to eat most of my budget, so really what I need help with is on the software side of things. I've looked into a few examples I found with some pretty basic googeling and most of them are either expensive as hell, cheap looking or a combo of both.

These are some of the ones I have found so far
http://www.breezesys.com/ cheap looking and I get scammy feel from the site
http://www.ptbooth.com/ no opinion
http://photoboof.com/ cheap looking site makes me weary of plunking down 600 bucks
http://www.seemonkey.net/ reasonably priced but has a licensing fee

I've fired up the Canon EOS utility on my macbook and had some success with its built in controls in taking the 3-5 photos I wanted with a 5 second interval between each photo and I'm more than happy using it as the "taking" portion of the photo booth but still lack the print automatically or print with very little user input part.

If anyone knows anything or has any suggestions I would love to know as I have 23 cranky know nothings breathing down my neck about how awesome the next fund raiser might be if only I would get off my rear end.

I have till late Juneish to come up with something. Also check out this cool photo booth a guy built in a pelican case http://www.tomsguide.com/us/diy-portable-photo-booth-webcam,news-8208.html

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why not just use the acer and that photoboof software that the guy you linked to used?

richard gearhead
Jun 1, 2005

My new penis is a gigantic monster!

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Perhaps SnapSort and LensHero?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I light fires posted:

I work for a non-profit .... they want to pay as little as humanly possible which rules outs renting a pro .....
What I have already

T2i
T1i
a reasonable assortment of lenses
1 canon 430ex II

Are they paying you for the use of your personal equipment for business use?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
For people waiting on the X100, from my local discount camera store:

quote:

A word on the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami Disasters:

As you would be aware, the current grave situation in Japan has resulted in wide-scale destruction and loss of life.

Our thoughts and well-wishes are with all those affected in Japan and we hope for the speedy recovery of their beautiful country.

During this time please be aware that several of our suppliers have been affected, namely Panasonic’s LUMIX factory, several Sony factories and Nikon. Please be aware that Fujifilm has also been affected, and there will be delays on shipments of the new X100. Please take this into consideration when placing orders for out of stock items.

I light fires
May 12, 2001

tuyop posted:

Why not just use the acer and that photoboof software that the guy you linked to used?

I probably will end with something like that. I guess I was hoping for some personal experience with any of these just so I don't end up with a 600 dollar piece of poo poo and 23 angry bosses.

Basically I'm excited to have my personal interests, my political interests and my career intersect at something I'm going to have a lot of fun with and I don't want to end up trying to explain why I wasted a few months and a few hundred dollars only to need both more money and more time to get what they wanted.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

I don't understand mats at all.

They protect the print, pretty much always look a lot better, and make it so you can just swap your standard sized mat out of a standard sized frame without having to buy new custom frames every time you print something.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
My CF card died on the second to last day of vacation and causes a "Card Error" message to appear. Everything I put it in just wants to reformat the card. Are there any free programs for trying to save the pictures that were on it?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

aricoarena posted:

My CF card died on the second to last day of vacation and causes a "Card Error" message to appear. Everything I put it in just wants to reformat the card. Are there any free programs for trying to save the pictures that were on it?

Shoot me an e-mail, I've got a code for a license of SanDisk's RescuePro software you can use. It's worked well for me in the past.

ryan@ryanmkelly.com

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

aricoarena posted:

A lot of recovery programs are destructive. Image the card before trying to recover anything, keeping the card as a backup.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Sorry if this is too off topic but it has been driving me nuts for a while now. Why is it that when I click on a flickr link in firefox I get three tabs or three new windows (depending on my settings)? The same links only open one new tab in safari - is there something I can change so that I don't have to close two tabs every time I want to see a larger version of something someone posts?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I get that, too. I am also interested if anyone knows what's going on.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
That happens to me when I click on quoted Flickr links.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
So if every photo recovery software I have tried either cant even see my flash card, or finds no recoverable files on it should I just format the card and move on with my life or is it worth putting more time into?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I have the opportunity to get a really great lens for cheap, but the lens was dropped at one point and took a bunch of damage. Owner says the lens was sent for repairs and works flawlessly now, but looks rough. It's a local deal so I can go and put my own body on the lens and run some tests, but I'm not sure what to check for really. If you guys were in the same situation what would you look for to ensure the lens is completely fixed?

(it's a 200/1.8)

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

InternetJunky posted:

I have the opportunity to get a really great lens for cheap, but the lens was dropped at one point and took a bunch of damage. Owner says the lens was sent for repairs and works flawlessly now, but looks rough. It's a local deal so I can go and put my own body on the lens and run some tests, but I'm not sure what to check for really. If you guys were in the same situation what would you look for to ensure the lens is completely fixed?

(it's a 200/1.8)

Maybe a laptop so you can take a few shots and pixel peep? Make sure to point it towards and away from light sources at various apertures, that should give you a good idea of whether there are any bad spots.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

aricoarena posted:

So if every photo recovery software I have tried either cant even see my flash card, or finds no recoverable files on it should I just format the card and move on with my life or is it worth putting more time into?

Can your OS see the card? Because if it cannot, you cannot use it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

InternetJunky posted:

(it's a 200/1.8)

That's a rare enough lens, that if you have use for it, you should hop on it if it all works on your camera and is a good price.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

(it's a 200/1.8)

IIRC Canon doesn't have parts for them anymore, so any future problems might not be fixable.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Yeah, on second thought I think I might pass even given the ridiculous price.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

InternetJunky posted:

Yeah, on second thought I think I might pass even given the ridiculous price.

What's the price? I might want it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

poopinmymouth posted:

What's the price? I might want it.
$1800 Canadian. I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth it. That gaping hole seems like a pretty bad thing for keeping out fungus/dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

InternetJunky posted:

$1800 Canadian. I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth it. That gaping hole seems like a pretty bad thing for keeping out fungus/dust.

Just put some gaffers tape on it. It fixes everything.