Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

It's on 4+1 if you want to watch it in all it's glory yourself, but basically the segment was going on about how sensationalised everything is relating to nuclear power.

Oh I see. Jon Snow has been tweeting lots of bollocks recently about how hopefully this incident means a nuclear free future and how it's a wakeup call etc etc so I'm too annoyed with him to actually watch C4 news right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

marktheando posted:

Oh I see. Jon Snow has been tweeting lots of bollocks recently about how hopefully this incident means a nuclear free future and how it's a wakeup call etc etc so I'm too annoyed with him to actually watch C4 news right now.

Really? gently caress.

I used to think you were cool, Jon Snow. :smith:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Really? gently caress.

I used to think you were cool, Jon Snow. :smith:

jonsnowc4 posted:

Cannot imagine a free population ever permitting another nuclear power plant built in our time fukushimas legacy to humanity..objectivity? 3:29 AM Mar 15th via Echofon

http://twitter.com/jonsnowc4

Yeah, it's a shame he has Bad Opinions about nuclear power but he generally otherwise seems cool as hell.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Jon Snow wants your children and grand kids to die in pointless resource wars. Prick.

Also, while we're at it get a h in your name jesus. Or a fat cat that eats Italian food.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kin posted:

Why would you like Lily Allen if you havent listened to either of her albums?

Why would you like Lily Allen if you had listened to any of her albums?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

Why would you like Lily Allen if you havent listened to either of her albums?

Judging by the his inability to use capitalisation or structure a sentence, I'm going to put my money on foetal alcohol syndrome.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
I felt so sorry for Lily Allen. I really like her and that bitch in the focus group angered me so much.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

NaDy posted:

I wish I could get into Doctor Who but I just can't get over how tacky it all seems. I know it's made so kids can enjoy it too but I think the concept of it is awesome. If it was more mature and darker like a sort of cross between BSG, The Dark Knight and almost film noir style I would definitely get into it. Alas that will never happen.

Perhaps you might enjoy Doctor Who's "mature-themed" sibling, Torchwood. :v:

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Kerbtree posted:

Oh come on, that's just cruel.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Zorba the Greek posted:

I felt so sorry for Lily Allen. I really like her and that bitch in the focus group angered me so much.

Which bitch? The ginger one on the same side as Lily who was rightfully shocked that this idiot, who thinks she can run a business, is incapable of taking any kind of criticism without throwing a tantrum and running away; or the "bitches" on the focus group side of the mirror who honestly and accurately displayed, at best, an indifferent desire to wear anything officially tied to a Lily Allen brand?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Kerbtree posted:

I saw one episode and wanted to throw up. Do people actually non ironically like it?

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Kin posted:

Which bitch? The ginger one on the same side as Lily who was rightfully shocked that this idiot, who thinks she can run a business, is incapable of taking any kind of criticism without throwing a tantrum and running away; or the "bitches" on the focus group side of the mirror who honestly and accurately displayed, at best, an indifferent desire to wear anything officially tied to a Lily Allen brand?

Not Mary Portas who I think is amazing, and I'm not talking about the fact that Lily wants to run a business because I think that's bit of a stretch but the bitch in the focus group who liked the idea until the woman leading the focus group said that it was Lilys idea and then got bitchy that it was her idea. Being a member of the group that she is trying to appeal too I think it's very good idea. She even said that she doesnt want to appeal to her fan base much and that she isn't interested in being in the spotlight anymore so to reveal the fact that it's her idea was loving stupid in my idea.

For all you know she might be fantastic at running a business so lets not prejudge her based on her previous actions for gently caress sake. I personally like Lily Allen and her music.

Onion Vanguard fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 17, 2011

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Lily Allen is cute and everybody knows looks are everything so I like her.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
---

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 26, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

NaDy posted:

I saw one episode and wanted to throw up. Do people actually non ironically like it?

Charlie Brooker seems oddly facinated by it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

edit: in the same show that half an hour earlier declared the stuff going on in Japan as "the worst nuclear disaster in history, after chernobyl" followed up by Jon Snow slyly trying to call the Japanese politician he's interviewing a giant loving liar.

Well technically, it IS. But really that's probably more of a statement about how loving well we're doing. I bet coal fired stations had a hell of a lot more problems in their first 50 years.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
"As a background to the ongoing crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant I am putting up a film I made a while ago called A is for Atom. It was part of a series about politics and science called Pandora's Box.

The film shows that from very early on - as early as 1964 - US government officials knew that there were serious potential dangers with the design of the type of reactor that was used to build the Fukushima Daiichi plant. But that their warnings were repeatedly ignored.

The film tells the story of the rise of nuclear power in America, Britain and the Soviet Union. It shows how the way the technologies were developed was shaped by the political and business forces of the time. And how that led directly to inherent dangers in the design of the containment of many of the early plants.

Those early plants in America were the Boiling Water Reactors. And that is the very model that was used to build the reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant. Three of them were supplied directly by General Electric. "
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/03/a_is_for_atom.html

It's an hour long but well worth it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lily Allen lives just up the way from me :smug:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Zorba the Greek posted:

Not Mary Portas who I think is amazing, and I'm not talking about the fact that Lily wants to run a business because I think that's bit of a stretch but the bitch in the focus group who liked the idea until the woman leading the focus group said that it was Lilys idea and then got bitchy that it was her idea. Being a member of the group that she is trying to appeal too I think it's very good idea. She even said that she doesnt want to appeal to her fan base much and that she isn't interested in being in the spotlight anymore so to reveal the fact that it's her idea was loving stupid in my idea.

For all you know she might be fantastic at running a business so lets not prejudge her based on her previous actions for gently caress sake. I personally like Lily Allen and her music.

She agreed/involved herself in making a TV show about her new clothes shop; she ripped off the name of the shop from The Beatles and it's fashion, where brand means a hell of a lot. Of course she's spinning the whole "i'm a musician, buy/rent my clothes now i'm famous" angle and it was a 100% valid piece of information to bring up during a focus group because as you saw, it did indeed cause a massive negative reaction to the idea.

The idea may or may not be a good one but no-one would want the clothes if they were associated with her because she's not as cool or popular as she delusionally thinks she is.

She's a moderately good musician who made 2 albums then gave up before she became like "Madonna" :rolleyes:.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I saw a show pop up on ABC Australias iView called Strike Back. Starred Andrew Lincon (the walking dead, teachers) and Richard Armitage. I thought it was pretty good, a little bit silly in points but a pretty well made drama. It was loosly about SAS in Iraq and the next epsiode looks to be set in africa and such. I don't know anything about the show but it was something new to Iview to check out instead of watching re-runs of Black Books (I lied, I still watched them) on Iview.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
I ignored the recommendations in this thread for too long, now it's past 5am and I've just watched the first 3 episodes of Misfits back-to-back. I only meant to start an episode before bed but it's utterly compulsive TV.

Lots of talk about how Britain can't do sci-fi well, but this show plays incredibly well on the stuff we can do with a sci-fi bent.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

NaDy posted:

Watch Children of Earth. Avoid nearly everything else unless you have some kind of masochistic streak but seriously, Children of Earth was brilliant. And had Malcolm Tucker in it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

MisterLizard posted:

I ignored the recommendations in this thread for too long, now it's past 5am and I've just watched the first 3 episodes of Misfits back-to-back. I only meant to start an episode before bed but it's utterly compulsive TV.

Lots of talk about how Britain can't do sci-fi well, but this show plays incredibly well on the stuff we can do with a sci-fi bent.

I gave the first series of Misfits to my Turkish sister in law, and she thought it was amazing, and is in the process of lending it to lots of other people she knows in Istanbul, all of who love it as well. I've yet to meet someone who doesn't like it, even my bosses 50 something very senior civil servant husband loves it, and he barely watches any TV at all.

If you are reading this, and haven't watched it, go watch it, it's one of the best TV shows ever.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ibroxmassive posted:

Watch Children of Earth. Avoid nearly everything else unless you have some kind of masochistic streak but seriously, Children of Earth was brilliant. And had Malcolm Tucker in it.

The one episode I saw was part of Children of Earth. I'm sorry but I was almost too embarrassed to get through the whole thing it was so bad. Even Malcolm Tucker can't save something like that.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

NaDy posted:

The one episode I saw was part of Children of Earth. I'm sorry but I was almost too embarrassed to get through the whole thing it was so bad. Even Malcolm Tucker can't save something like that.

Funnily enough, Children of Earth is the only part of Torchwood that's even remotely watchable. The rest of it is irredeemably awful.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

ibroxmassive posted:

The premise behind Children of Earth was fine. The execution was dreadful. Dreadful.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

RTD is very good at coming up with ideas, but terrible about executing them, especially resolving plot threads in a satisfactory manner.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

NaDy posted:

I know a lot of people who actually think Children of Earth is one of the greatest pieces of televised science fiction in broadcasting history.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was poo poo. Laughable poo poo.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sion posted:

I know a lot of people who actually think Children of Earth is one of the greatest pieces of televised science fiction in broadcasting history.

That's insane, they must have never seen any other piece of science fiction media ever.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh god it's coming back.

RTD posted:

“The premise is a miracle happens in the world,” Davies says. “One day, on Earth, no one dies. The next day, no one dies. The day after that, no one dies. The [people who are] dying, keep dying … but don’t actually die. The possibility of death ceases to exist. Which is great for some people. But it’s an instant overnight population boom. The earth relies on people dying … What is society going to do now? Some of the answers are beautiful and brave. Some of the reactions are terrifying.”
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/07/torchwood-plot-miracle-day/

It's set in America. And Rhys is still in it. I see no possible way that they can handle something like this sensibly. If it's anything like Torchwood/Doctor Who I imagine that people will just keep carrying on their lives and maybe talk about it casually. Anything other than the complete and instant collapse of society would strike me as a massive underreaction.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Isn't one of the new main characters a convicted child molestor who was about to get a lethal injection?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh god it's coming back.

It's set in America. And Rhys is still in it. I see no possible way that they can handle something like this sensibly. If it's anything like Torchwood/Doctor Who I imagine that people will just keep carrying on their lives and maybe talk about it casually. Anything other than the complete and instant collapse of society would strike me as a massive underreaction.

Its BBC Sci-fi so it'll be about the personal lives and histories of 5 people, completely ignoring the implications for the other 6783323243.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Isn't one of the new main characters a convicted child molestor who was about to get a lethal injection?

Yeah it's going to be great. It will either be car crash tv at its finest, or it will actually be legitimately good like Children of Earth was. So it can't fail to entertain.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

marktheando posted:

So it can't fail to entertain.

You say that, but RTD is involved so I'm pretty sure it can.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh god it's coming back.

The way it's described just reminds me of that Steve Coogan sketch.

"In 1977, no-one died. In 1978, no-one died. In 1979, no-one died. In 1980, someone died...

In 1981, no-one died."

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Gram-O-Phone posted:

The way it's described just reminds me of that Steve Coogan sketch.

"In 1977, no-one died. In 1978, no-one died. In 1979, no-one died. In 1980, someone died...

In 1981, no-one died."

If Coogan was in it as the pool attendant then I would definitely watch it.

Also with Chris Morris as the obligatory news reporter.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

They missed a trick in that Lily Allen show by not having Pulp's Common People as the theme tune. It fits her to a loving t.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Been watching Limmy's show. The Scottish BBC2 ident goes on for loving ever, what's the deal with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

"I've been doing it every week"???

(Lauren Laverne right at the start of 10 O'Clock live)

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 17, 2011