Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

LoKout posted:

Those aren't eSATA ports. eSATA doesn't have the L shaped connector. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#eSATA.

Physically, they're standard SATA ports. However, eSATA's more than just the connector: it also uses a higher voltage to drive signals, and can deal with weaker signals, in order to make it more reliable over long distances. An eSATA port like that one should be OK with a passive adapter and a 2m eSATA cable. The same passive adapter and cable, hooked up to an ordinary SATA port inside the system, would probably have trouble dealing with the cable length. Intel's board designs are fairly rare in that they actually handle the spec correctly; many board manufacturers just toss an eSATA bracket in the box and expect you to hook it to a standard SATA controller.

frunksock, you're fine. It's the same signal, it'll just work over a longer cable if it needs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So how many PCI-E lanes in total does the P67 have?

I want to run my single graphics card at x16, but I also have a PCI sound card and will use the onboard Realtek LAN (which uses a PCI-E x1 slot).

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

dud root posted:

I want to run my single graphics card at x16, but I also have a PCI sound card and will use the onboard Realtek LAN (which uses a PCI-E x1 slot).
No worries. There are more than enough lanes.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

movax posted:

VT-x support is more a function of the CPU than the chipset. The -K SKUs for example don't support VT-x, I believe. (they don't support one of the VT-* extensions, see link to my post in the OP). This is for extended page table support and the other.

K-sku chips don't support VT-d even if the motherboard does. They do support VT-x (i.e. instruction virtualization). As the memory controller is on the processor, I think that's why the chip can disable a chipset feature, as it controls DMA.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 17, 2011

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

dud root posted:

To answer my own question in case anyone else is curious: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=647&Itemid=69&limit=1&limitstart=1

16 PCI-E 2.0 lanes directly from the CPU for GPUs (can be 16x1 or 8x2 config) and,
8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes from the P67 chipset, which gets used for peripherals like lan, usb3 etc.
24 Lanes in total

So it seems you can leave usb3 enabled without degrading your x16 graphics connection. Having said all that, I'm sure a x8 link for graphics is still more than adequate

jwnin
Aug 3, 2003
If you're expecting a replacement sandy bridge motherboard to magically show up on your doorstep from newegg, please check your emails and don't make the same mistake I did. A little over a week ago I received an email saying that the new motherboards were starting to arrive, and to look for a notification when your replacement is avaialable.

The next day I get another email from newegg; I eyeball it and write it off saying 'why would they send the same email twice?'

Well, turns out that was my official notification that my replacement was in, and I had 7 business days to reply. Yesterday was day #7, and I just noticed this today.

I contacted newegg via chat, and they're going to talk it over with their returns team; I may have to send my motherboard to them and then they'll send me the replacement once they get the bad one.

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Thanks Space Gopher. So it seems like Q67 is actually the way to go, weird. It doesn't seem that H67 has anything that Q67 doesn't, as far as the chipset itself is concerned, and though I don't have immediate plans to use VT-d, I don't see why I wouldn't leave myself the option.

This is to replace my aging home server, so I need 6 SATA ports (4 spinning disks for RAID, optical drive, and one free for now, but that I may, down the road, use for playing with SSD caching). I don't care about overclocking, I want embedded graphics, and could conceivably, at some point, want to run an intensive VM on it. For these kinds of boxes, I usually like to stick with Intel motherboards, so it looks like one of their Q67 boards with a non-K CPU will fit the bill.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dud root posted:

To answer my own question in case anyone else is curious: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=647&Itemid=69&limit=1&limitstart=1

16 PCI-E 2.0 lanes directly from the CPU for GPUs (can be 16x1 or 8x2 config) and,
8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes from the P67 chipset, which gets used for peripherals like lan, usb3 etc.
24 Lanes in total

So it seems you can leave usb3 enabled without degrading your x16 graphics connection. Having said all that, I'm sure a x8 link for graphics is still more than adequate

Yep, I posted about it about a month ago. Your PEG link is x16, bifurcatable to 2 x8. Only 8 lanes from the chipset which sucks, with the widest you can get being x4 ganged.

Honestly the number of PCIe lanes is kinda lovely, but for your average consumer it is probably ok. Luckily we have X68 coming out which will have a glorious amount of PCI Express lanes, much like the X58 did.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
On the subject of the thread title change, is Ivy Bridge still coming out at the end of the year? And I keep reading we might get mainstream eight-core chips on socket 1155 with Ivy Bridge.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

movax posted:

VT-x support is more a function of the CPU than the chipset. The -K SKUs for example don't support VT-x, I believe. (they don't support one of the VT-* extensions, see link to my post in the OP). This is for extended page table support and the other.
VT-x is fully supported on the K variants, VT-d isn't. --e:f,b a page later.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Weee....

NCIX email:

quote:

we have an available replacement board for your GA-P67A-UD3

I guess this means I get to completely rebuild my system.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Anyone see a fixed P8P67 PRO (not the P8P67-M PRO) in the wild yet? I want that Intel network adapter... and don't want to shell out for the Deluxe.

I'd probably just get the MSI P67A-GD65, but only one front USB header? What the hell?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 19, 2011

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Tapedump posted:

Anyone see a fixed P8P67 PRO (not the P8P67-M PRO) in the wild yet? I want that Intel network adapter... and don't want to shell out for the Deluxe.

I'd probably just get the MSI P67A-GD65, but only one front USB header? What the hell?

Yes they have been coming in stock intermittently (mine just arrived today from amazon), but you have to act pretty quick when one shows up because it's one of the most popular boards.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Ouch, $250 on Amazon right now? Now that's a gouge. I'd rather get the Deluxe from NewEgg for less.

Guess I gotta wait.

Edit: I hope NewEgg at least lists the ATX-sized Pro; Amazon's search for technical items kinda sucks.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Tapedump posted:

Ouch, $250 on Amazon right now? Now that's a gouge. I'd rather get the Deluxe from NewEgg for less.

Guess I gotta wait.

Edit: I hope NewEgg at least lists the ATX-sized Pro; Amazon's search for technical items kinda sucks.

That's some third party gouger, when amazon.com actually gets it in stock its at the regular retail 189.95 price. Do people really still not understand how amazon.com works?

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

greasyhands posted:

That's some third party gouger, when amazon.com actually gets it in stock its at the regular retail 189.95 price. Do people really still not understand how amazon.com works?

Apparently not. I got mine from Amazon today too. :w00t:

mpeg4v3
Apr 8, 2004
that lurker in the corner
Are there any mATX P67 motherboards out there that have UEFI, USB 3.0, SATA3, and an onboard Intel NIC? The closest I can see is the Asus P8P67-M Pro, but it's missing the Intel NIC. I guess I could always just buy an Intel PCI-E NIC if need be, but I'd rather not have to.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mpeg4v3 posted:

Are there any mATX P67 motherboards out there that have UEFI, USB 3.0, SATA3, and an onboard Intel NIC? The closest I can see is the Asus P8P67-M Pro, but it's missing the Intel NIC. I guess I could always just buy an Intel PCI-E NIC if need be, but I'd rather not have to.

Yeah, that Asus board is one of the best mATX, except for the Intel NIC being missing. Not sure if anyone else has made a mATX board that gives you the Intel NIC.

I'd guess it's because of cost. :shrug:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I haven't had the issues with Realtek NICs that others have, but plenty of previous boards have used Marvell Yukon chipsets that worked just fine, is there a reason no one used those on their Sandy Bridge boards? I did some poking around and saw an Asrock board using an Atheros chipset, but that was it for variety. It would be interesting to know what the cost difference is between the Intel and other NICs.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
I had a terrible stuttering issue with the realtek chip, specifically the one that's on P8P67-M Pro. It can do large files transfers at a good speed, but as soon as you start streaming HD stuff off it, such as a 2160p test clip that uses 50+Mbps, it will slow down to a few megabits per second and the video stutters/freezes.

Tried different driver, cable, switches in every combination and it was still the same, including putting an intel nic into the host. In the end the problem just disappeared when I replaced the onboard realtek nic with the intel one on the client computer.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

mpeg4v3 posted:

Intel DP67DE?

mpeg4v3
Apr 8, 2004
that lurker in the corner

Ika posted:

Intel DP67DE?

I always forget about the Intel boards. What's the overclocking like on it? From what I've been able to find, it apparently is not too easy to overclock anything on it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mpeg4v3 posted:

I always forget about the Intel boards. What's the overclocking like on it? From what I've been able to find, it apparently is not too easy to overclock anything on it.

Probably not available on that board, but their enthusiast boards are fairly decent for non-extreme overclocking.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Why would they even produce p67 boards if they were going to disable overclocking?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Here is a Marvell Yukon based adapter that rocks hard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166015&Tpk=rosewill%20gigabit%20adapter

For the price these things are the best you can get.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Just got my bugged Gigabyte P67A-UD3 upgraded to a B3 Asus P8P67 Pro. What a difference. 4.8 GHz stable on the Asus at the same voltage as 4.7 on the Gigabyte, and looks like there's plenty of room to go up. 5.0 GHz, here I come.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

One thing you have to watch out for if you're going to purchase a motherboard with an onboard Intel NIC is if it supports Jumbo Frames. A lot of Intel reference boards I've purchased have the onboard Intel NIC, but research/drivers have often revealed a lack of Jumbo Frame support. I had to purchase a PCI Express Intel NIC that had Jumbo Frame support because the DP45SG's onboard Gigabit NIC couldn't do it.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

One thing you have to watch out for if you're going to purchase a motherboard with an onboard Intel NIC is if it supports Jumbo Frames. A lot of Intel reference boards I've purchased have the onboard Intel NIC, but research/drivers have often revealed a lack of Jumbo Frame support. I had to purchase a PCI Express Intel NIC that had Jumbo Frame support because the DP45SG's onboard Gigabit NIC couldn't do it.

Seems like the Sandy Bridge boards' Intel NICs support it fine.

edit: intel specs http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52963

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

mpeg4v3 posted:

I have the BA board, and it let me overclock the turbo multiplier, but not the base multiplier. It also is not possible to disable the autothrottle on the overclock, so it will throttle down after 10 minutes or so at turbo speeds. Other people have reported the exact same issue as well.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Should I care about jumbo frames as a home desktop user? Should I enable them if its disabled?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

dud root posted:

Should I care about jumbo frames as a home desktop user? Should I enable them if its disabled?

If you use a NAS or regularly transfer files between computers over the network, yes and yes. If you just do Internet stuff, meh.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

1.42V for 5.0 GHz. Worth it? :|

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
For bragging rights, sure, but not for 24/7 use. ~1.35 V is the highest you want for regular use.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

For bragging rights, sure, but not for 24/7 use. ~1.35 V is the highest you want for regular use.

Yeah dropped back to 4.8GHz after running the Aero evaluation at 5.0 :P

Didn't improve my previous CPU score though. Still 7.7. :sigh:

But wow. Things are so much easier on the P8P67 Pro. Such a nice board. I totally forgot got good Asus was because I haven't had an Asus board since my T-bird days (too many cheap Fry's ECS combos). 4 USB 3.0 ports too, and Bluetooth!

Wedesdo fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 21, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Not happy with my replacement board...BSODs left and right, with a far shittier overclock than I previously had. Think I got a bad one :(

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

movax posted:

Not happy with my replacement board...BSODs left and right, with a far shittier overclock than I previously had. Think I got a bad one :(

I know I got a bad p8p67-m pro. My b3 mobo kept locking. Switched the mobo out with the old rev and I haven't crashed since. Newegg can't switch it out until they get it back in stock and I have to keep track of their stock.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I'm surprised by all the Asus love in here. Out of dozen or so motherboards from a half-dozen brands I've had over the years, a Socket 478 Asus board was by far the worst. I haven't bought anything they've made since. Was that just a bad model or era for them, or have they turned it around or what?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Siroc posted:

I know I got a bad p8p67-m pro. My b3 mobo kept locking. Switched the mobo out with the old rev and I haven't crashed since. Newegg can't switch it out until they get it back in stock and I have to keep track of their stock.

Got stable now-ish, going through my crash dumps now in WinDbg. I have a feeling the Renesas controllers on this board don't like BCLK increases.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
The thing about brand loyalty or avoision is our minds are made up so long ago, and that doesnt take into account recent changes in manufacturing process.

eg I swear by western digital harddrives as I had a couple of segates & hitachis die. But that was 10 years ago, and ignoring the fact its only anecdotal/small sample evidence, the roles could be reversed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

I got a P8P67 Pro but couldn't post, the red led cpu light kept coming on. After digging around I found some bent pins on the motherboard. Amazon is offering me a refund but since they are out of stock they can't replace it. I guess I need to RMA through ASUS though I'm afraid it will take forever to get a replacement board.