Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

TrixRabbi posted:

#51 Saving Private Ryan - Sorry.

Watch this, enjoy it, become frustrated with Spielberg's tricksiness, and then go watch the wholly superior Thin Red Line.

400 blows. I was largely unmoved by the story. Of course, one feels pity for the lad, the ending is masterful, and it's easy to spot the innovations for the time, but really, it seemed a character study without fully exploring the characters. A disappointment for me.

So my list becomes ...

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Battleship Potemkin Silent movies scare me.

Jules et Jim I'd like to practice my French.

Enfants du paradis Another French classic.

Pierrot le fou more Godard.

Days of Heaven The Malick I've yet to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

knees of putty, let's see what you think of Enfants du paradis.

Head-On is a great film. It takes a few turns I didn't expect and has a surprising amount of levity for such a dark depressing film, I'd almost call it a black comedy. Whatever you call it, it's fantastic and makes me want to check out more of Akin's work.

Updated list:

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

The Hawks and the Sparrows Salo aside, I think I like Passolini so I should check this out.

The Color Purple Another piece of Americana that I guess I should see.

The White Ribbon I've tried not to put many recent movies here, but I've been wanting to see this since I first heard about it, but by the time it was available my enthusiasm had faded.

A Brighter Summer Day I want to watch this, but 4 hours sure is a long running time, so I need a push.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Beat you to it dude; you're choosing for me.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

knees of putty posted:

Beat you to it dude; you're choosing for me.

I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

A Brighter Summer Day I want to watch this, but 4 hours sure is a long running time, so I need a push.

There you go.

1. The Bicycle Thieves. I don't know why I've never seen this, it's always seemed very interesting

2. Cinema Paradiso. Tried twice to watch this, interrupted both times and never been back

3. The Big Lebowski. Got bored once and never went back to it, it didn't really click for me

4. Manhattan. I've seen Annie Hall several times and most of the newer stuff, but never this.

5. Easy Rider

6. Raging Bull - both of these were regular suggestions at uni film nights, neither of them ever got seen.

7. Gregory's Girl. Everyone who's seen this film seems to rave about it, but I've not seen it.

8. Some Like It Hot. I don't know why I haven't seen this yet, had it mentally queued up for a while.

9. The Fountain. Seems like one of those cult films that I totally missed

10. The Other Guys. Not as classic as the others, but supposedly very very good

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FYI, the version of Brighter Summer Day floating around is extremely poor quality (at least the one I saw about 5 years ago). Criterion is rumored to be working on it, you may want to wait for that.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
In that case feel free to try Yeelen, Peaceful Anarchy

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I'm sorry, I just loving hated The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I tried, but it just don't work for me. Something about it made my skin crawl. I hated the color scheme and the tableau look, so it was kind of an uphill battle. Clooney and Murray should voice act more, though. "This is actually a big deal, so don't just say 'okay!'" is a great line, too.

delicious beef, give The Bicycle Thieves a shot.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

Gertrud I keep forgetting I own this.

Red Riding 1974 I can't decide if this looks very good or totally lovely.

Comradeship I hope this is Pabst's BLUE RIBBON film!!

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Our Hospitality I thought this was a short. It's not.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

New one: Diabolique I think I'd really like this.

The Awful Truth I don't have any interest, but I'm tired of it turning up on every "see this loving movie" list.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/.10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 17, 2011

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

penismightier posted:

Clooney and Murray should voice act more, though. "This is actually a big deal, so don't just say 'okay!'" is a great line, too.

There's always a silver lining I guess. :D

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

penismightier posted:

Red Riding 1974 I can't decide if this looks very good or totally lovely.

I liked this a lot, but you know it's part of a trilogy, right? While each film is self-contained, the series as a whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts. What's more, the true "answer" only really comes in the final volume.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

I liked this a lot, but you know it's part of a trilogy, right? While each film is self-contained, the series as a whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts. What's more, the true "answer" only really comes in the final volume.

Yeah, I know. If the first catches me I'll watch all three for sure.

EDIT: This is the first one, right?

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
penismightier, when Dreyer is an option, Dreyer should be watched. Gertrud it is.

I'm having a hard time separating The Godfather Part II from Part I in my mind, what with the way it complements, challenges, and expands on the themes of the latter. It's kind of remarkable. I've never been a massive fan of Pacino, and he's so understated here that I have a hard time calling it a "Great Performance", but it works for the film, and De Niro does so much with so little. That last shot killed me though, it would have been perfect to just end with him alone at the table. 9/10

Updated:

1. The Battle of Algiers - I love films dealing with social conflicts, and gritty black and white photography, so the images I've seen from it are enticing.

2. Bringing Up Baby - I have no idea why I haven't seen this, I'm a fan of everyone involved.

3. City Lights - I've only ever seen The Great Dictator, but it was years ago. Bad, I know. I do love Buster Keaton.

4.Double Indemnity - Wilder, Chandler, I have no idea how I missed it. It's the only one of the "big name" noirs I haven't seen.

6. L'atalante - I love visually creative silent films, and the couple of scenes I saw in a documentary once were gorgeous.

7. Modern Times - Ditto re: Chaplin.

8. Sansho the Bailiff - Ugetsu blew me away; I've been meaning to explore some more Mizoguchi.

9. Some Like it Hot - I'm steadily working my way through Wilder, but man, the guy was prolific.

10. Sunrise - Note for #6 applies here, too.

11. My Darling Clementine - The ever-promising 3 F's: Ford, Fonda, and...Walter Brennan, I guess.

Mission accomplished: The Godfather Part II - 9/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Aorist posted:

I'm having a hard time separating The Godfather Part II from Part I in my mind, what with the way it complements, challenges, and expands on the themes of the latter. It's kind of remarkable. I've never been a massive fan of Pacino, and he's so understated here that I have a hard time calling it a "Great Performance", but it works for the film, and De Niro does so much with so little. That last shot killed me though, it would have been perfect to just end with him alone at the table. 9/10

I disagree, for me it's the last shot that really brings both films to a perfect circle, and without it wouldn't have the same effect. Showing how much Michael changed through the years, he gained so much but ended up the same or even worst. Still in his father shadow, completely alone and miserable. I guess money and power don't buy you love.

Also the no sound in the background, the colour filter and Pacino just staring into the nothingness is haunting. Really the perfect ending to any story.

P.S: Thank the gods Coppola never tried to do something silly and pointless like a Part Three to these two movies. :rolleyes:

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 17, 2011

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Electronico6 posted:

P.S: Thank the gods Coppola never tried to do something silly and pointless like a Part Three to these two movies. :rolleyes:
Sofia Coppola is a good director. I wonder what would've happened if she ever decided to get into acting.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

CloseFriend posted:

Sofia Coppola is a good director. I wonder what would've happened if she ever decided to get into acting.

Ruin her dad's career even more maybe, cause filming Apocalypse Now left the job half finished.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Electronico6 posted:

I disagree, for me it's the last shot that really brings both films to a perfect circle, and without it wouldn't have the same effect. Showing how much Michael changed through the years, he gained so much but ended up the same or even worst. Still in his father shadow, completely alone and miserable. I guess money and power don't buy you love.

Also the no sound in the background, the colour filter and Pacino just staring into the nothingness is haunting. Really the perfect ending to any story.

See, for me, everything you mention was in the shot of him at the table. And the shock of it, to suddenly find yourself in the midway between the two timelines, the space you've been visiting mentally the whole time, seeing the fruit and the seeds of both...the final shot just felt redundant.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

penismightier posted:

Yeah, I know. If the first catches me I'll watch all three for sure.

EDIT: This is the first one, right?

Yeah, it is. I figured you knew, but I just wanted to double check.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Aorist posted:

See, for me, everything you mention was in the shot of him at the table. And the shock of it, to suddenly find yourself in the midway between the two timelines, the space you've been visiting mentally the whole time, seeing the fruit and the seeds of both...the final shot just felt redundant.

Wouldn't you say that seeing Vito's climbing of the ladder is also a tad redundant? It's just there to counter point Michael's rising to power after all.

Vito was more of a family man and had a sort of passion, if you will, for everything and everyone around, he tried to play things clean.(As clean as you can when you run a crime family)
Michael was the opposite. Cold, ruthless and acted more on revenge and bloody machinations.

But you already knew this from the last movie, Vito tried the diplomatic route to fix the problems, while Michael just murdered the people opposed to him and then packed up and left NY.

But Coppola left the young Vito scenes anyway, just to heighten the contrast between the two characters and the overall tragedy of what would come up to them in the end. Both Vito and Michael were "defeated" by their own personalities in a manner. Vito got upstaged, cause he was in a way to soft and old fashioned for the New World, and Michael let his cold psychopath personality interfere with his personal problems, which lead him to be alone.

The final shot is just to drive that point home and conclude the events that happened in the movie in "real time", not to add that in that final scene Michael just looks old, tired and lost, this was his moment of triumph but he had nothing to celebrate.
In the flashback he looks just as sad and alone, but he also looks a bit envious and there seems to be a bitter taste left in the air, cause his brothers didn't take him serious and his big decision in life got overshadowed by the presence of his father.(One of the things I like about this scene is that Marlon Brandon isn't there but you can feel his character, talk about good acting :D) Both scenes are aiming at the same point, that is true, and they play each other off, but are also telling different things about Michael(and Vito) at those particular moments in time in his life.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Aorist enjoy Some Like it Hot

2046 is a beautiful movie. I love Kar-Wai's ability to make every shot seem like poetry. Tony Leung is the coolest man alive that wants what he can't have and rejects what he can. I do feel like it's a bit unfocused though. I like what he is trying to do and enjoy his ruminations on love, longing and regret, but i feel like he can't quite hammer down what he wants to say. The result is he says everything on his mind. I still loved it, as Kar-Wai has never let me down. I could watch it over and over again and probably take something different away each time.

1) Frankenstein- back to the Universal Monsters, I hope this is better than Dracula
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Sleeper- I've somehow missed this Woody Allen film
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) The Battle of Algiers- seems to be right up my alley
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Wings of Desire- picked this up in the latest Criterion sale because it intrigued me
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

1) Frankenstein- back to the Universal Monsters, I hope this is better than Dracula
I haven't seen any of your films, but Frankenstein interests me and I'd like to gauge your reaction.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is a fine little film. While it really wasn't much until the accusation, the entire 3rd act was very well done. Worth its watch I'd say. The terrible part about this is that a lot of it does hold up well, and this is the one movie you don't really want to hold up.

New List:

1. The Great Dictator - All I know is Chaplin and the man the title represents. I have never seen Chaplin.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me (I love a good action movie).

4. The King's Speech - Number 4 goes to the most recent best picture I haven't seen. And this one is about as recent as you can get.

5. Dial M for Murder - Hitchcock all day every day.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Cars - The only Pixar movie I've never seen. I know it's not a CD favorite, but I've still heard good things.

8. American History X - All I know is swastika tattoo, curb stomping, and Fight Club like fanbase.

9. The Philadelphia Story - I know nothing about it other than the 3 stars of the movie.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

marioinblack, you've never seen Chaplin? Go watch The Great Dictator.

FitFortDanga posted:

FYI, the version of Brighter Summer Day floating around is extremely poor quality (at least the one I saw about 5 years ago). Criterion is rumored to be working on it, you may want to wait for that.
Not sure if it's the same one you watched but the quality of the copy I watched was pretty good. It certainly could have better detail and colour but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone watch it. And hasn't Criterion been rumored to be working on it for a few years now?

Anyway, the film was a bit tough to get into, with a lot of characters that are hard to distinguish because Yang makes little effort to introduce them, instead just throwing the viewer into the middle of a bunch of highschoolers, gangs and family relationships and letting them figure out who's who from context as it goes by. Things did come together, though, and while the film was slow it never felt boring or tedious. It has some sweet moments and some levity but the more it continues the clearer it becomes that tragedy is the film's main thrust, and the lead character's slow deterioration is representative of all the other characters in the film and Taiwan as a whole.

Updated list:

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

The Hawks and the Sparrows Salo aside, I think I like Passolini so I should check this out.

The White Ribbon I've tried not to put many recent movies here, but I've been wanting to see this since I first heard about it, but by the time it was available my enthusiasm had faded.

Husbands More Cassavetes, should be good.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy, enjoy The White Ribbon.

Sideways wasn't bad but it wasn't anything special. I like Giamatti in this though, he's very natural and really fits the character well. When all is said and done I thought the plot was a little basic and, barring some quirks, the film was really generic and it's kind of baffling to me that it got so much award consideration. It felt like an average comedy. Reminds me of The Kids Are Alright in that way. I don't know, I feel like it seems that I'm just disappointed with the movies that have been chosen for me lately. Ah, well.

List:

1. To Have and Have Not - All the trappings of greatness!

2. Three Colors: Blue - Curious about this trilogy, seems to be highly regarded so I'm looking forward to it

3. La Notte - Oh boy, I love L'avventura!

4. Midnight Cowboy - I'm a little unenthusiastic about this one, but it's probably near-essential

5. MASH - Rented once but never watched it, sounds enjoyable enough

6. Faust - Pretty excited for this one, I'm very fond of the Murnau I've seen and this one has intrigued me for a while

7. The Philadelphia Story - I've "seen" this movie (mostly in bits and pieces) probably five times but I honestly don't remember it; I remember being so disappointed because I expected to love it but I don't think I did

8. *NEW* Stranger Than Paradise - Never seen a Jarmusch

9. Night and Fog - I need more documentaries under my belt so why not a Resnais? It sounds fairly intriguing

10. The Blue Angel - It's probably an issue that I have never seen a Josef Von Sternberg film...

Watched:

Dawn of the Dead - 3/5; Adaptation - 5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 4/5; Almost Famous - 5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 3/5; Sideways - 3/5

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
PDMChubby, watch MASH, one of my all time favorites.

Sullivan's Travels didn't really work for me. It started out as a zany comedy, which I was enjoying a lot, but it eventually got darker and the slapstick stopped coming. The DVD I had was scratched, so I missed the last five or so minutes. Can anyone tell me what happens at the end? At least I know where the title for O Brother, Where Art Thou come from now. 3.5/5

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
A Bittersweet Life
The Koreans haven't let me down yet.
Mona Lisa
Don't know much about this, but it sounds good.
Beauty and the Beast
Seen a lot of love for this.
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
This sounds very similar to Deathtrap. I hope its better.
Brief Encounter
Its gonna be a Lean night.
Night of Cabiria
I haven't seen enough Felini

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump you get The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

I liked M but was also expecting a bit more out of it to be honest, maybe it was because I was expecting another kind of movie, I dunno.
The first part dragged on for to long, while the meaty part of the film(The chase and trial)is fantastic, and the transition from slow build up to the chase scenes was a bit jarring.
The questions raised by the movie are quite the food for thought, even if it has been done to death since 1932. Also this was a quite dark movie for the time, wonder how he got away with it(I guess the Nazis liked it). Still it's a good movie, but the first part is very sloooooow.

The Shame List:

Yojimbo I seen the Dollars trilogy which one of the movies in it, is a remake of this, but due to laziness never got around to see the original.

Once Upon a Time in America It's so long...

Vertigo Saw a big chunk of it ages ago, didn't see it till the end for whatever reason.

The Trial I read somewhere that Orson Welles thought this to be his best.

Magnolia I'm not sure what it's about, only that it was made by the same guy who made There Will Be Blood, and that movie was brilliant. This should be too, hopefully.

Infernal Affairs Now that I have seen The Departed, got to watch the original!

La Grande illusion Sounds like a good place to start Renoir as any other.

On the Waterfront No excuse really...

Days of Heaven Only saw TTRL from Mallick, need to get around the rest of his catalog.

Brazil Another movie that I just keep delaying from watching for no real reason.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Electronico6 posted:

The Trial I read somewhere that Orson Welles thought this to be his best.

And I agree with him.

The Prestige - My favorite Nolan so far, which isn't saying a lot, but it's something. Nolan is immensely popular among certain types (let's just say "nerds" for simplicity's sake) for two reasons: Batman, and puzzle movies. This is really the ideal example of the latter. Nerds love movies that give you little bits of mindbender business to sort out (especially if you have to watch them again to catch all the "clues"), and this movie not only contains them, but is about them. And on an additional level, it opens up thoughts about the trickery of filmmaking itself. So it's a fun mental exercise with some nice meta touches. I'm neither a Jackman fan nor a Bale fan, but I found both of them enjoyable in their roles (Caine, Johannsen and Bowie are largely forgettable, however). And there's certainly a fine level of craftsmanship involved. But it's the same old problem with Nolan... his movies are neither soulful enough to be emotionally involving nor insightful enough to be very thoughtful. There's craft to it, but very little art. But I did like the craft of it. Rating: 8

new list:

Braveheart - It's on 17 lists, it's got to be good, right? I can't imagine myself liking this.

The Lion King - Not a Disney fan.

Beauty and the Beast - See above. But the Cocteau film is a favorite, so maybe?

Aladdin - gently caress me, there's a lot of Disney.

The Wrestler - Aronofsky is hit and miss with me.

The Phantom of the Opera - Thankfully the 1925 version that has nothing to do with Andrew Lloyd Weber.

Chariots of Fire - I've always liked that Vangelis tune.

Dodsworth (checklist: "1930s") - Looks okay. I like some Wyler.

One Way Passage (checklist: "1930s") - If nothing else, it's short.

Mutiny on the Bounty (checklist: "1930s") - I'm on a boat!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

She's marginal at best. While I really love The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation for the atmosphere and style, she completely blew Marie Antoinette and I will never forgive her for that. How do you make a boring movie about someone who is so incredibly NOT boring?

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

The Lion King - Not a Disney fan.

I was going to recommend The Wrestler, but with so many Disney films on your list I think I'll choose this one to whittle them down.

I thought The Big Sleep was the epitome of film noir that I've seen so far. The atmosphere was great, although it's taking me a while to put together the links between all the characters. In particular, it is difficult for me to understand why so much emphasis was being placed on the missing dude Regan. The blackmail involved Carmen and "picture proof" of her with the murdered Geiger. That was Joe Brody's blackmail scheme, separate from Eddie Mars who was apparently blackmailing the family due to Carmen's involvement in the murder of Regan. Regan had some kind of relationship with one of Sternwood's daughters, but he also tried to run off with Mars' wife, who is later seen in the movie in the company of Mars' gangsters. What?

Anyway, I realized this is the first movie I've seen with Bogart as a noir detective, so I'm going to add The Maltese Falcton to my list at a later time.

Updated list:

The 400 Blows One of those classics I'm obliged to watch at some point

Army of Shadows The description for this movie sounds incredible, especially after watching Melville’s subtle direction of Le Samourai

The Bicycle Thief Languishing at the top of my queue

La Dolce Vita I have never seen this or any other film by Fellini.

On the Waterfront Marlon Brando gives a magnificent performance as a longshoreman. It doesn't sound immediately gripping but I know it has an extremely good reputation.

Reds Going through Warren Beatty’s films; this one seems to be the most epic in scope.

Annie Hall Adding a comedy to this list

Gandhi Can this movie hold my attention for the running time? The Academy believes it’s worthy.

Barton Fink Recommended to me as a Coen brothers film.

The Insider I can get down with Michael Mann and Al Pacino any time, plus, intriguing subject matter.

Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

She's marginal at best. While I really love The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation for the atmosphere and style, she completely blew Marie Antoinette and I will never forgive her for that. How do you make a boring movie about someone who is so incredibly NOT boring?

You star Kirsten Dunst in it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Noctaurus, Army of Shadows is incredible, enjoy it.

I want answers damnit! Actually The White Ribbon is great movie and, going in expecting to have the film not give me answers, I was actually surprised by how lucid and relatively understandable the plot and the themes were. It was well shot but the most intriguing part to me was the sinister air that pervades the film, at times in the foreground at others nearly imperceptible in the background, but always there showing you two generations and their complex relationships. It's definitely interesting to consider the film's chief mystery on its face, but ultimately the underlying conditions that caused the tragedies depicted are far more interesting. Definitely a wonderful film and I'm glad I didn't keep putting it off.

Updated list:

Husbands More Cassavetes, should be good.

Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray Criticker says I'll love this, it's French and it won the best Foreign Film Oscar.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Hmm, Marie Antoinette was a fun, playful movie. I loved the juxtaposition of the period drama with Siouxsie, Gang of Four and all the rest.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy watch The Color Purple.

As for The Trial, I'm quite not sure what to think of it. It was weird, bizarre and in some way very fascinating. Loved the cinematography, Perkins is great and the surreal nature of it all left my mind in a couple of knots, in the good kinda way. But it didn't leave me floored, like F for Fake did.(Another forgotten gem by Welles) Though it could have been the lovely version of the movie that I got, or that I never read Kafka. Maybe reading the book it's based on and rewatching it the movie in a better version would help.'
Either way i'ts an Orson Welles movie and it's worth watching, cause it's an Orson Welles movie.

The Shame List:

Yojimbo I seen the Dollars trilogy which one of the movies in it, is a remake of this, but due to laziness never got around to see the original.

Once Upon a Time in America It's so long...

Vertigo Saw a big chunk of it ages ago, didn't see it till the end for whatever reason.

Bicycle Thieves Never finished watching this one, should watch the rest of it but I'm lazy. Way to lazy.

Magnolia I'm not sure what it's about, only that it was made by the same guy who made There Will Be Blood, and that movie was brilliant. This should be too, hopefully.

Infernal Affairs Now that I have seen The Departed, got to watch the original!

La Grande illusion Sounds like a good place to start Renoir as any other.

On the Waterfront No excuse really...

Days of Heaven Only saw TTRL from Mallick, need to get around the rest of his catalog.

Brazil Another movie that I just keep delaying from watching for no real reason.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Just watched 7 Samurais, a fine movie, cool story, overall nice camera shots, also, good characterizations, there are a few things that bring it down, though, for example, the over-the-top acting from the Non-Samurai, the bad exposition on the Wife deal with the peasant, the bad action scenes, the obviously outdated effects (they haven't aged well, basically) and some weird dialogue, as well as a pace way too slow for my taste in the last hour and half, over rated.
6/10

Electronico, you're watching Vertigo

My list:

Shawshank Redemption - I am 100% sure it is incredibly over rated, and the concept bores me

The Godfather Part 2 - Enjoyed the first one, never got around to watching the second one, probably because I read the book and lost interest.

12 Angry Men - Actually don't know anything about this one

One Flew Over at the Cuckoo's Nest - Sounded boring

Once Upon a Time In The West - Not a big fan of Westerns, the Man With No Name trilogy being the exception

Rear Window - Been spoiled, know everything that happens in this movie, from start to finish, saw parodies of it, overall, I have absolutely no reason to watch this movie.

Usual Suspects - I was gonna watch this movie once, but for some reason, I just didn't watch it.

Memento - Now with the Cristopher Nolan craze due to Inception and The Dark Knight, I heard of this movie, which is apparently one of the best movies ever according to IMDB, and I was interested in it.

The Lives of Others - Never heard of it, read the concept now, sounds interesting

The Departed - Seems like a badass movie, was gonna watch it on the Cinema, but ended up watching another thing.

BTW, also doing a list: Pulp Fiction 8/10 Goodfellas 7/10 Seven Samurais 6/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SGRaaize posted:

the bad action scenes

:psyduck:

please elaborate

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Honestly, I don't wanna sound like a Gore-Fan, but I found the action scenes pretty distracting with its lack of blood (except for the part where the badass samurai died), and also bad, not can't-see-poo poo-level, but nothing-seems-to-be-happening level. The only two memorable scenes were when the Non-Samurai let people enter the post and there was a carnage of villagers and the last scene with the gun. Everything else was too drawn out and none of the characters involved in it seemed good that good at battling, the peasants, the samurais and the bandits alike.

Its a shame one of the most interesting concepts was the off-screen one (When the badass samurai went to pick up one of the guns)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SGRaaize posted:

Honestly, I don't wanna sound like a Gore-Fan, but I found the action scenes pretty distracting with its lack of blood

You don't watch many pre-1968 movies, do you? Blood is a rarity.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
Maybe so, regardless, it has aged badly, and I call them as I see them. I'm not gonna give it the benefit of being made 50 years before. The combat looked clunky and distracting.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

SGRaaize posted:

Everything else was too drawn out and none of the characters involved in it seemed good that good at battling, the peasants, the samurais and the bandits alike.

That's Kurosawa's style, and part of why his fights are so memorable. The best example is the fight in Rashomon. Everybody is scared shitless and trying not to die because people are swinging sharp metal at their faces. It's unique and really human.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
*Shrugs* I don't like it, lol

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
lol *shrug* all right then I guess that's a valid argument and you don't totally seem like a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

SGRaaize posted:

Usual Suspects - I was gonna watch this movie once, but for some reason, I just didn't watch it.

After watching The Seven Samurai, this faster paced film should change things up a bit.

The Godfather- Shameful. The mob, kissing rings, flashbacks, and guns. That's about all I know.

Dog Day Afternoon- Dustin Hoffman, right? I love that guy. edit: I'm totally wrong.

Network- I know there's a prophetic speech about television. Or cathartic. One or the other.

Taxi Driver- A man likes to talk to himself and carry a gun. Maybe he drives a taxi?

Bonnie and Clyde- I know how this one ends.

The Maltese Falcon- I really want to see this one.

The Searchers- A good John Wayne movie. I like westerns.

Cabaret- Let's do a musical.

Fatal Attraction- A thriller featuring an obsessive psychotic?

Popeye- Yes. The one with Robin Williams.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 18, 2011