Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dominic White posted:

The Battle Isle series is a close evolutionary cousin of the Advance Wars series. Hex-based, and with a few more stats to crunch, but otherwise very similar, right down to doing the whole animated combat sequences.

Battle Isle 1 has aged the worst - it was designed to be played with a joystick/keyboard, and while there's some basic mouse support, it's not so hot. Everything from BI2 and onwards is much fancier, though.

Incubation is a spinoff about infantry-vs-aliens close combat. If you've ever played Space Hulk, you know what to expect.

Hum, like a more complex, hex-based Advance Wars. Im sold.

As for Incubus: really decent squad-level turn-based combat, although I remember it being quite hard and kinda more like a puzzle game than a tactical one, like you have to find a solution to the map that involves making the exact right moves or you are just screwd. Thatīs how I remember it, but I played it a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Holy poo poo, Incubation? I've always wanted to play that but never got the chance :aaa:

Another :10bux: for GOG.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
So I won a free game in that Twitter spam contest thing, I just have to DM them with the game I want. I'm assuming I can't ask for The Witcher 2, I've narrowed it down to Battle Isle or Two Worlds. Two Worlds sounds like Elder Scrolls that doesn't take itself seriously could be a lot of goofy fun. I haven't played Battle Isle or Incubation, but I love Advance Wars and Space Hulk. How is it for someone who's never played?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Arcsech posted:

So I won a free game in that Twitter spam contest thing, I just have to DM them with the game I want. I'm assuming I can't ask for The Witcher 2, I've narrowed it down to Battle Isle or Two Worlds. Two Worlds sounds like Elder Scrolls that doesn't take itself seriously could be a lot of goofy fun. I haven't played Battle Isle or Incubation, but I love Advance Wars and Space Hulk. How is it for someone who's never played?

Although its entirely up to each owns taste. I would go for Battle Isle for the most bang for your buck.

TW is enjoyed the same way one would enjoy Dungeon Siege the movie. Lampoon all the crazy poo poo in it and just laugh along with the crazy aspects of it. Not for everyone but if it clicks for you, you'll have a blast.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

If you want a good RPG that doesn't take itself entirely seriously, Divine Divinity is well worth getting. The version on GOG is pretty heavily updated, with some bugs fixed and widescreen/high-res support added.

The sequel (Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga) is also very tongue-in-cheek.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Dominic White posted:

The sequel (Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga) is also very tongue-in-cheek.

Its gameplay is also really spiffy. You spend a lot of time actually flying around as a dragon, like in the old game Drakan.

About Two Worlds: My only experience was having a bitch of a time installing it, and when finally being ingame finding out that i literally could not get my character to walk in a straight line, in any direction. Mind, that was right after release, but i never bothered figuring out whether they made it less of a bug-ridden mess.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

Its gameplay is also really spiffy. You spend a lot of time actually flying around as a dragon, like in the old game Drakan.

About Two Worlds: My only experience was having a bitch of a time installing it, and when finally being ingame finding out that i literally could not get my character to walk in a straight line, in any direction. Mind, that was right after release, but i never bothered figuring out whether they made it less of a bug-ridden mess.

Hmm, is Divinity 2 on GOG as well? Or is it a newer game? My thinking about getting Two Worlds is based on that stream of "it's a horrible, buggy, cheesy game, BUY IT" a few pages back. I think I'll have to look up gameplay videos of Battle Isle too.

Edit: Hm, Divine Divinity looks interesting, and I was reminded that I still haven't played Total Annihilation...

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 15, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Arcsech posted:

Hmm, is Divinity 2 on GOG as well? Or is it a newer game?

Newer. It originally came out 2009, but was really rushed out. It got an expanded re-released version called Dragon Knight Saga in late 2010, which was a huge improvement.

As for Battle Isle, the first game is reaaaaly dated. Early 90s PC/Amiga strategy. BI2 is where it really started to form into something really distinctive (and dropped the split-screen/phase-based gameplay in favour of something more intuitive).

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Drakan should be on GoG. I know the sequel never made it to the PC. I remember loving the game although rose-coloured glasses may be getting in the way of my opinion.

Was it a good game? Or was my younger self too enamoured with torching people while riding a giant dragon.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

Drakan should be on GoG. I know the sequel never made it to the PC. I remember loving the game although rose-coloured glasses may be getting in the way of my opinion.

Was it a good game? Or was my younger self too enamoured with torching people while riding a giant dragon.

Drakan is an excellent game, and I say that having played it just last week.

It's also desperately in need of a GOG treatment as it crashes all the goddamn time on modern OSes.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Tufty posted:

I'm also having the MM7 running glitch thing, you get used to it. I think I've put in maybe 6 hours so far and I haven't noticed it since I got off of the Emerald Isle.

What party is everyone running with? I did have a Knight/Thief/Druid/Sorc party but I restarted and went with the traditional Cleric/Knight/Thief/Sorc instead. The cleric is my leader because he's got all the personality points and the merchant skill, my knight is an indestructable dwarf girl with about 50 might and 35 endurance and we're all only level 7 I think. My thief is a goblin who has ridiculous accuracy and speed plus all the utility skills: perception, disarm, stealing (hold ctrl+click to steal from a shop!), and my sorceror is an elf who's just magic skills and identify item.

I've got the itch to restart again and go with a more non-standard party now. I'd like to try a Paladin/Druid/Archer/Monk group I think. How can I have altitis with a singleplayer game? :(

Also, how can I get more money? Spells and skills are expensive.
Money is tight early in the game. But by the time you get Enchant Item spell (Water magic) and can do permanent enchants, it gets easier. It's pretty good idea to have a "traditional" team and especially have pure casters who are able to go grandmasters in magics, especially Light/Dark magic.

Protection spells of all varieties are a priority in this game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Tufty posted:

Also, how can I get more money? Spells and skills are expensive.

Acromage and quests. If you feel like grinding, there's the merchant runs. You can find vendors selling huge crates of various items and supplies all over. If you deliver the stuff you bought to some other vendor elsewhere in the world, you net a small profit for every box.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

scamtank posted:

Acromage and quests. If you feel like grinding, there's the merchant runs. You can find vendors selling huge crates of various items and supplies all over. If you deliver the stuff you bought to some other vendor elsewhere in the world, you net a small profit for every box.

I noticed a couple of the traders, I might do a few runs for some cash. How do I get an Acromage deck though? And how can I steal all the poo poo in the treasure room above the waterfall in Stonecity without getting the whole dwarven race on my rear end?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Tufty posted:

I noticed a couple of the traders, I might do a few runs for some cash. How do I get an Acromage deck though? And how can I steal all the poo poo in the treasure room above the waterfall in Stonecity without getting the whole dwarven race on my rear end?
Talk to the man of the Temper household, it's right next to the stables in Harmondale. His brother's gone missing in the caves up in... the mountains around the southeast or -west corner, I think? There's a rope bridge leading up there and a whole bunch of goblins, so it's pretty distinguishable. The caves themselves are full of troglodytes and a few physical attack-immune oozes that fight each other - running is an option. I may remember wrong, but I think you'll find the missing guy's remains (+deck) if you keep going left.

I don't think there's any way to avoid the Stone City alarm. You can get the goods and scram without incident using the Invisibility spell (Air, Master), but I'm not sure how long it takes for the city to reset to a non-hostile state.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Dominic White posted:

Newer. It originally came out 2009, but was really rushed out. It got an expanded re-released version called Dragon Knight Saga in late 2010, which was a huge improvement.

Yep, and I was one of the idiots who bought it the first time. But it's ok, I get a discount! I paid Ģ30 the first time and to get what's basically a big patch, it'll "only" cost Ģ20 thanks to the 33% discount (which doesn't stack on actual sales). So Ģ50 for DKS2... I think not lovely developer. :argh: (yes it still hurts even after all this time)

Still looking forward to playing it's predecessors on GOG when I have infinite free time.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

There's some stupid copy protection problem in Battle Isle 2 right now that makes the first mission unwinnable. Enemy units wipe out yours in every encounter. :argh:

BI3 is still playable though and the FMV is horrific.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

BillWh0re posted:

BI3 is still playable though and the FMV is horrific.

Might I direct your attention to BI3/SDI/DATA/SHOW/SHADOW.AVI

When I was little I thought this was the coolest thing. I am ashamed of you past-Furret Basket.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Furret Basket posted:

Might I direct your attention to BI3/SDI/DATA/SHOW/SHADOW.AVI

When I was little I thought this was the coolest thing. I am ashamed of you past-Furret Basket.

Early FMV was so cool at the time. Now, it's hilarious. Unfortunately there seems to be a small resurgence of terrible FMV adventure games, such as DarkStar. Whyyyyyy?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dominic White posted:

Early FMV was so cool at the time. Now, it's hilarious. Unfortunately there seems to be a small resurgence of terrible FMV adventure games, such as DarkStar. Whyyyyyy?

ehm, made by a large part of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew and narrated by Peter 'Biography' Graves? Colour me interested.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

ehm, made by a large part of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew and narrated by Peter 'Biography' Graves? Colour me interested.
Holy poo poo, so many MST3K people. That's weird. I even saw TV's Frank, Mary Jo Pehl, and Joel Hodgson in there. It could be terrible but I pretty much have to check it out.

EDIT: Maybe not! After seeing them goof on so many bad sci-fi movies you'd hope they'd know what to avoid. It would have been cool to see a tongue-in-cheek game with more practical sets and effects.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 16, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I watched Spoony playing it live. It's possibly the slowest, most turgid FMV adventure I've seen in at least 15 years. It's also very buggy and there's several ways to (intentionally or otherwise) back yourself into Sierra-esque no-win situations.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Yeah I discovered DarkStar a while ago and was reaaally interested in it due to the people in the cutscenes and just the idea of a modern FMV game.

Unfortunately the review at adventure gamers really put me off. Seems they use really archaic stuff like the whole game being built around the Quicktime player and having the same cursor for every single interaction, regardless of if it's simple movement or actually doing something.

Such a shame.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, it looks (and plays - I had Spoony on in the background for ages, so I saw most of it) JUST like a first-generation FMV adventure. You click somewhere, you get a looooooong 'walking somewhere' animation, it stops, you click something else and probably nothing happens. Or something very slow and pointless. It's largely trial and error, and a lot of the puzzles are shockingly illogical.

Also, that 'great, immersive sci-fi story' they talk about? I'll give them that for the background material, which is entirely optional and you can skip in-game. The actual plot itself is an incoherent trainwreck that ends with you being rescued by a Deus Ex Machina that happens to be a flirty toaster (no joke) and a complete anticlimax of an ending.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 16, 2011

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

You guys know everything about old strategy games: could someone give me a few hints for Incubation, like how the skill point system works and what gear to get? The manual is pretty unhelpful.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, it looks (and plays - I had Spoony on in the background for ages, so I saw most of it) JUST like a first-generation FMV adventure. You click somewhere, you get a looooooong 'walking somewhere' animation, it stops, you click something else and probably nothing happens. Or something very slow and pointless.
That's because it started development around the same time as most other FMV games, and all the footage was filmed years ago back when video needed to be compressed to fit on a single CD. The development studio fell apart and it was basically just one guy finishing it in his spare time for the past decade or so. Darkstar is basically the Duke Nukem of adventure games.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Thompsons posted:

You guys know everything about old strategy games: could someone give me a few hints for Incubation, like how the skill point system works and what gear to get? The manual is pretty unhelpful.
Don't know what to say about the skills, but about the guns: get rid of the dinky starting pistols and get things with bayonets on them the first chance you get. The assault rifle should become your basic tool, the two-barreled stormbolter thing heats up slowly and is great for guard moding against hordes and the heavy armor isn't worth it without the servo upgrade. Any particular questions?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

kuddles posted:

That's because it started development around the same time as most other FMV games, and all the footage was filmed years ago back when video needed to be compressed to fit on a single CD. The development studio fell apart and it was basically just one guy finishing it in his spare time for the past decade or so. Darkstar is basically the Duke Nukem of adventure games.

Do you suppose that guy never noticed that everybody else quit?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'm thinking about picking up Gothic 2 (I assume that's the best point of entry to the series?) and was wondering if there was any reason to get it on GOG (my preference) vs. Steam?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

h_double posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Gothic 2 (I assume that's the best point of entry to the series?) and was wondering if there was any reason to get it on GOG (my preference) vs. Steam?

I don't know if the steam version is any better, but play gothic 1 first. 2's definitely a better game imo but 1 definitely has it's moments.

Oh forget about 3 and 4 happening. Well maybe play 3 if you can deal with how they changed the game mechanics. Or you could play Risen instead (what I'm doing).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

GoldenNugget posted:

I don't know if the steam version is any better, but play gothic 1 first. 2's definitely a better game imo but 1 definitely has it's moments.

Oh forget about 3 and 4 happening. Well maybe play 3 if you can deal with how they changed the game mechanics. Or you could play Risen instead (what I'm doing).

They really screwed the combat on Gothic 3 (dumbed down to boring click feast), but it has a huge open world full of detail and tons of poo poo to do, so its also a great game, although not has good as 2. Or can be, if you can bear the endless loading times.

Still, better than Oblivion, or The Witcher.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Gothic 3 is only playable with the huge community patch, but with that it's actually pretty drat good.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Wow, Incubation is a lot like X-Com. Except really not fun.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Speaking of X-Com-y games, any word on Shadow Watch? I played it once or twice back when Gametap was good and loved it. It had a neat art style and while not really being very X-com-y in terms of anything but the fact it's turn based and isometric it was really fun. I'd love to see it on GOG.

Hell, who even owns the license?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Considering it's Tom Clancy, I'd imagine it's probably under Ubisoft's control now. Maybe we'll see it added to the roster at some point.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thompsons posted:

It's really very little like X-Com (aside from trying to keep recruits alive between missions), and much more like Space Hulk.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Man, I've just been playing through the other Battle Isle games and this feels like ten dollars I'm never getting back: all of these titles are really clunky and tedious versions of much better games I already own (Advance Wars, X-Com, etc.).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Thompsons posted:

Man, I've just been playing through the other Battle Isle games and this feels like ten dollars I'm never getting back: all of these titles are really clunky and tedious versions of much better games I already own (Advance Wars, X-Com, etc.).

I suspect GOG's biggest asset is nostalgia: Hardly any of these games are as good as we remember them, and specifically for those of us who haven't ever played these games in the first place, a title has to be REALLY well made to not feel dated 10 or 20 years later.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Thompsons posted:

Not true, that game owns.

Major tip that I can remember: Alternate fire on flamethrowers (once you get them) is really powerful. There's a mission where you fight a big baddie that's pretty much impossible otherwise and quite simple with flamethrower alternate fire.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Centipeed posted:

I suspect GOG's biggest asset is nostalgia: Hardly any of these games are as good as we remember them, and specifically for those of us who haven't ever played these games in the first place, a title has to be REALLY well made to not feel dated 10 or 20 years later.

I don't know; that's certainly the case with some, perhaps even many of their games, but they also have enough legitimately excellent games that have aged well that I wouldn't be comfortable calling the selection "hardly any".

I mean, just off the top of my head -
- Ground Control 1 and 2
- Descent 1 and 3
- Age of Wonders SM
- Fallout 1 and 2
- Arcanum
- Planescape Torment
- Psychonauts
- Freespace 1 and 2
- HoMM 2 and 3
- Myst and Riven
- Total Annihilation
- Unreal, UT and UT2k4
- King's Bounty TL
- Independence War 1 and 2

...and those are just the ones I can think of in thirty seconds and have personally played. (And it's not all nostalgia; about half of those I didn't play until they showed up on GOG.)

Granted, some of them have only aged as well as they have or are as good as they are thanks to unofficial patches (Arcanum, Torment) or engine remakes (Descent, both Freespace games), but my point stands.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Thompsons posted:

Yeah Incubation is really no-money-for-license Space Hulk and it does it brilliantly. You have high powered weaponry and ludicrously frail units fighting stuff that dies quickly but can tear you apart if they ever flank you.

As for the Battle Isle games, #1 is very clunky compared to modern games, but #2 is still incredibly fun especially in multiplayer.

#3 is when the series started to go super-hardcore, but if you want to fight with dozens of different units that all have their niche on a giant map where terrain, ammo and fuel matters it's the best thing ever.