Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part is that photoshop lets you create a new document sized by inches if you want.

You type in "8.5" and "11" and presto, you're good to go!

(which makes me realize, the request was for 8x11, which isn't the standard paper size in the US)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ringo R posted:

Maybe not so photography related but I just have to share this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080531184239AAmmRxf

OVER 1500 PIXALS!

Can't you just choose inches as the unit of measure if you want 8.5x11? I guess you'd have to know the DPI you are printing at, but that still seems a lot easier than trying to convert it to pixels.

Edit - Oops, I didn't realize there was a new page

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

Did he make up those numbers?
It's Yahoo Answers, so who knows?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
From reddit:

Photographer who has shot for National Geographic is in Libya, got shot in the leg but continues to photograph using his iPhone

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Oh crap:

quote:

Nikon shuts down Japan quake DSLR factory: Canon update 4.00pm

Nikon has shut down its production facilities in northern Japan, including the factory that makes flagship DSLR cameras such as the D700, following the earthquake and tsunami disaster. The news comes as the company today confirms injuries to 'some' of its group employees and gathers information on other staff and their family members.

'We have no reports of any fatalities or seriously-injured employees so far,' a Nikon spokeswoman told Amateur Photographer this morning. 'We are committed to investigating any personal injuries.'

The Nikon plant at Natori in Sendai, which has made top-end cameras such as the D3, is among the factories forced to close after damage to equipment and buildings. Nikon's Sendai plant is where cameras including the D3S, D3X, D700 and F6 are made. 'We are suspending operations there and continuing to evaluate further details of the damage,' Nikon said in a statement. 'We are unable to announce how soon the operations will resume due to the regional interruption of life-lines…'

There is no word on whether cameras waiting for shipment oversees have been hit, though it is reported that Japanese ports in the area have been badly hit by the disaster. The latest situation regarding product distribution is currently 'under investigation', according to Nikon's UK office.

Nikon's Sendai plant, which lies in the Miyagi Prefecture, opened in 1971 and made Nikon's legendary F-series of film-based SLRs. It is understood to employ around 500 workers, plus hundreds of temporary labourers. Meanwhile, Nikon has set up an Emergency Headquarters for Disaster Control, headed up by its president, and donated 100 million yen (around £750,000) to the Japanese Red Cross Society. 'Nikon Corporation would like to express its profound sympathy and condolences to the victims of the earthquake in Northern Japan, on March 11 2011,' added the company statement. Yesterday there had been no reports of British casualties at hospitals in nearby Sendai City, according to the British Ambassador to Japan, David Warren. Two thousand bodies are reported to have been found along the Miyagi coast.

Meanwhile, Canon's factory in northern Honshu, which is understood to make lenses, remains closed with no word on when production will resume. Fifteen people were reported injured there. Canon today said that, at plants where operations 'may be suspended for one month or more', it will seek to make use of alternative sites that escaped damage, in order to maintain production.

Canon has donated 300 million yen to relief efforts.

Nikon statement, published at nikon.com today:

quote:

Notice on the damage hit by Major Earthquake in Northern Japan (Japan's Tohoku region)

March 14, 2011

The Nikon Group would like to express its profound sympathy and condolences to the victims of earthquake in Major Earthquake in Northern Japan (Japan's Tohoku region) on March 11. The effects to our group companies are as follows.

Measures to cope with the situations

We have set up the Emergency Headquarters for Disaster Control headed by the President on March 11 immediately after the earthquake, and are taking the necessary steps. We are currently endeavoring to normalize our business as early as possible through our BCM (Business Continuity Management) teams established in each in-house company.

Damage to our group companies

2-1. Damage to equipment and buildings

Our group companies, including Sendai Nikon Corporation, Natori, Miyagi Pref., Miyagi Nikon Precision Co., Ltd., Zao-machi, Katta-gun, Miyagi Pref., Tochigi Nikon Corporation, Otawara, Tochigi Pref., Tochigi Nikon Precision Co., Ltd., Otawara, Tochigi Pref., and other subsidiaries as well as our Plants suffered damage to some part of the equipment and buildings. We are suspending operations there and continuing to evaluate further details of the damage. We are unable to announce how soon the operation will resume due to the regional interruption of life-lines although endeavor for restoration are under the way by some of our maintenance personnel.

For the list of our group companies

For the list of our plants

2-2. Damage to personnel

Injury is reported to some of our group employees. We are currently continuing to gather safety information of our personnel and its family members.

Forecast of effect by the damage to our business performances

We are concentrated in evaluating how the immediate damage by the disaster and controlled interruption of electricity started from March 14 will result in our group companies and business performances. We will advise our findings immediately when it is revealed that the damage would further expand.

The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.

That sucks for both Canon and Nikon. I wonder what that's going to do to any upcoming releases. It was predicted that Nikon was going to unveil some new stuff this year, like a D3/D3S replacement.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 16, 2011

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Martytoof posted:

I haven't seen a single Lensbaby photo where I said to myself "wow, that really adds to the photo". They all end up looking like a lame photoshop effect.

Just my two cents, though.
I used one once for a shot in a music video (if you want to call it that,) so it does have some applications... they're just very limited.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Mannequin posted:

Oh crap:

That sucks for both Canon and Nikon. I wonder what that's going to do to any upcoming releases. It was predicted that Nikon was going to unveil some new stuff this year, like a D3/D3S replacement.

Really? Over 10,000 dead and missing and you're worried about the D3S replacement being set back?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

I HATE CARS posted:

Really? Over 10,000 dead and missing and you're worried about the D3S replacement being set back?

This has been repeated ad nauseum on every photography website. Who says he isn't also concerned with the people of Japan at the same time? Are you only able to think about one thing at a time?

Nothing he can post here will help or hinder the people of Japan.
It's a photo forum, so we're talking about the photography aspects of the disaster.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Canon donated 300 million yen to Nikon's 100 million. Take THAT Nikon fanboys. :smug:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

tuyop posted:

Canon donated 300 million yen to Nikon's 100 million. Take THAT Nikon fanboys. :smug:

Nikon should build their new factory out of a giant D3S body. Weatherproof!

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
So I've decided I wanted a small film camera to keep with me as I'd like to shoot film, as I haven't done it since like the first year I was into photography, and I find a Yashica Lynx-5000 for 20 bucks with a 45mm f/1.7 and a hotshoe flash. Worth it Y/N? It seems that the Yashika Electros are quite desirable but I can't fin much about the Lynx-5000.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Four Banger posted:

So I've decided I wanted a small film camera to keep with me as I'd like to shoot film, as I haven't done it since like the first year I was into photography, and I find a Yashica Lynx-5000 for 20 bucks with a 45mm f/1.7 and a hotshoe flash. Worth it Y/N? It seems that the Yashika Electros are quite desirable but I can't fin much about the Lynx-5000.

It's only 20 bucks. I almost bought a Holga with like five lenses for 100, but I really needed that 100 dollars. Maybe in a few months. :(

So I looked into renting a 100mm macro, but it was 60 bucks for the 2.8L and 55 for the regular 2.8. For four days

That's like 1/6th the cost of a used lens. Renting lenses must be very lucrative.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HPL posted:

Nikon should build their new factory out of a giant D3S body. Weatherproof!

I have been incredibly tempted to throw in a vibration reduction technology joke out there for the past few days because I'm a horrible peson, but I just can't bring myself to :(

Though I guess I did just now, in a passive kind of way. I'm going to hell.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Four Banger posted:

Watch out for the size of the camera. Those rangefinders with fast lenses aren't exactly the most compact of cameras. If you want a sidekick camera, I'd recommend the Olympus XA because it's small and fast to deploy because there's no lens cap. IF it had manual shutter speed ability it would be just about perfect, but there's the 35RC if you want that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I have been incredibly tempted to throw in a vibration reduction technology joke out there for the past few days because I'm a horrible peson, but I just can't bring myself to :(

They're the ones who continue to live on an island that is widely regarded as the most seismically active area on the planet. :colbert:

It's terrible that it happened, but everyone living there is willingly placing a bet that a big earthquake won't happen in their lifetime.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for this. I was forcing myself not to do that last night, but now you're clearly a worse person than me so I don't have to feel bad.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

They're the ones who continue to live on an island that is widely regarded as the most seismically active area on the planet. :colbert:

It's terrible that it happened, but everyone living there is willingly placing a bet that a big earthquake won't happen in their lifetime.
:goonsay:

It's also where the grew up, where all their friends and family are, and the seat of their language/culture.

tuyop posted:

It's only 20 bucks. I almost bought a Holga with like five lenses for 100, but I really needed that 100 dollars. Maybe in a few months. :(

So I looked into renting a 100mm macro, but it was 60 bucks for the 2.8L and 55 for the regular 2.8. For four days

That's like 1/6th the cost of a used lens. Renting lenses must be very lucrative.

Don't buy a Holgaaaaa :negative:

The shipping really kills it for me. I wish there was a place in town, but the one place (that was like an hour and a half drive away each way) moved to Kansas or something.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
The title is "Easiest $50 you'll ever make.."

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/evg/2255186072.html

Craigslist posted:

My fiance and I are eloping on the 17th.....yes next week we'll be in Williamsburg! and we need someone to take pictures of it for us. We can't afford a photographer for hundreds of dollars and only want someone to take pics for like less than an hour during ceremony. It is simple and low key- just us and our young kids( we couldn't leave them out) and the officiant. We have a digital camera all you would need to do is show up and take a few pics and get $50 bucks.
You don't have to be a famous photographer, but we don't want all headless pics either! LOL Please send me an email if your up for making us some nice memories!

I like the part where they just give you the camera, they just want a warm body to press the button. The whole ad is so funny to read. This came up at a photo meetup tonight, and we joked that we should all go and split the $50 five ways and then bring all our gear, motor drive it, and have non stop flashing from all angles.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 17, 2011

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I like the part where they just give you the camera, they just want a warm body to press the button. The whole ad is so funny to read. This came up at a photo meetup tonight, and we joked that we should all go and split the $50 five ways and then bring all our gear, motor drive it, and have non stop flashing from all angles.

You should go and take really awesome, legit photos. For $50. Just imagine the looks on their faces.

:3:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

You should go and take really awesome, legit photos. For $50. Just imagine the looks on their faces.

That would be great :)
Do it guy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Pretend to be totally incompetent with the camera while your friend lurks further away taking shots with a telephoto. When you're done, show them the horrible photos on the back of the camera and be all like: "Sorry man, I'll see what I can to fix it in Photoshop" then e-mail them the photos your friend took.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The title is "Easiest $50 you'll ever make.."

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/evg/2255186072.html

Do it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HPL posted:

Pretend to be totally incompetent with the camera while your friend lurks further away taking shots with a telephoto. When you're done, show them the horrible photos on the back of the camera and be all like: "Sorry man, I'll see what I can to fix it in Photoshop" then e-mail them the photos your friend took.
This. This would be awesome.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Or be Not A Literal Child and don't gently caress with other people irl

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

pwn posted:

loving with people irl, through the medium of art = art.
Do it. It's the kind of beneficial trolling that could easily turn into a human-interest newspaper story.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

pwn posted:

You must be fun at parties.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

pwn posted:

You're "that guy," aren't you?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

pwn posted:

gently caress you.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

pwn posted:

This would require a Literal time machine fyi.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

You're "that guy," aren't you?
If "that guy" fucks himself in the rear end in the shower until pieces of his anus fall out, then yes he's "that guy."

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
A slow motion video of aperture and shutter action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG5QedhroYQ

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 21, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Spectracide posted:

Found this on reddit, a slow motion video of aperture and shutter action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG5QedhroYQ

How did they get the camera inside the lens to catch the shutter? :downs:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If "that guy" fucks himself in the rear end in the shower until pieces of his anus fall out, then yes he's "that guy."

C'mon, leave the GBS stuff out of the Dorkroom.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So I figured out that I can sell my 28-135, which I never use, and use the money to mostly pay for a used 100mm f/2.8. So I'm selling it, here's the thread in SA Mart if anyone's looking for a new lens.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3397809

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I just found a local guy selling a Canon 200mm/f1.8 for $2000, but when I contacted him he said he just sold it a few minutes before. :(

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, that's wild. You hardly ever see those for sale, people seem to hang on to them forever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Seriously, if you guys have nothing better to do then you should totally make this couple's day :3:

Consider it your good deed for the year :haw:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Seriously, if you guys have nothing better to do then you should totally make this couple's day :3:

Consider it your good deed for the year :haw:

Just don't cry when they ask if you can do some of that "hudder" stuff they saw on the internet. The colors are so nice!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

http://www.gizmag.com/permanent-anti-fog-coating-developed/18163/

Hope to see this on camera lenses and glasses soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I just found a local guy selling a Canon 200mm/f1.8 for $2000, but when I contacted him he said he just sold it a few minutes before. :(

I've always been a fan of this guy's shots with that lens. Looks like a pretty sweet lens if you can find it, let alone afford it.

Rated PG-34 posted:

http://www.gizmag.com/permanent-anti-fog-coating-developed/18163/

Hope to see this on camera lenses and glasses soon.

Wow, that would be nice. As a wearer of glasses there's nothing more annoying than walking around outside for a while and then stepping into a cafe for a cup of coffee and having them completely fog up. :)