Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mine's on the way! :dance:

Nice, thinking about picking one up with my tax return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Re-posting from the general gear thread- basically I need to upgrade to a wider hip/shoulder bag that will fit my new gripped 60D and a telephoto zoom. I like the ThinkTank line, but wondering if there is something similar that is cheaper and/or not quite as tall...

---
Looking for a bag recommendation- I have a ThinkTank Speed Demon (beltpack/shoulder bag), and this barely fit my gripped T2i+17-50 and 70-300IS. I love the bag though, and have a few modular bags for macro lens, ring flash, etc that I don't usually walk around with.

I just blew my tax refund on a 60D (gripped) and 70-300L bundle. This now doesn't fit in the Speed Demon, which is one of the smaller packs in the line. It looks like the next size up isn't any wider, which would put me at the Speed Racer which might be a little taller and longer than I need (e.g. >10 inches tall instead of the <7 that I have now). I'm leaning towards it anyway because the pack I have has been super comfortable. Also, I might grow into it with more gear in the future, since I apparently have little to no self-restraint. However, just thought I'd see whether anyone here had any other recommendations for a similar product that might be a little smaller and/or cheaper.

if it matters- this is mainly for hiking/personal enjoyment/wildlife research, and I'm a little leary of moving to a sling pack because I'll usually have binoculars around my neck already and it seems like they might get in the way.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Bongodrums posted:

Just got a Black and Tan Billingham Hadley Pro in the mail today. Worth every penny looking at the materials and fit and finish.
These Billingham bags look SO nice.

I want to get a Hadley Small now :( for $300.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh god it's here it's here it's here!

Gonna take some photos in the AM.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

Miko posted:

These Billingham bags look SO nice.

I want to get a Hadley Small now :( for $300.

$300 is a lot for a small. What currency is that and where are you located?
I priced out the Pro at my local store in Canada and they said anywhere from 300 to 350 + tax and they will have to order it in from England.

I went on ebay and found a seller in Korea selling for $250 shipped, but backed out because I was a little afraid of getting a replica. Went online shopping and found a place called RoberWhite photo in England.

With shipping + duties, it came to $300 to my door in three days.

Picture is the bag minus the shoulder pad and side pouch.

Bongodrums fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 16, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Initial reaction to the ONA Union Steet: it's awesome. I managed to snap a few shots this morning before work, but haven't really loaded the bag up yet and put it to use.

Some very quick impressions:
  • The build quality is phenomenal and not disappointing in any way, even for an almost-$300 bag. The stitching looks great, and the materials all feel rugged while still looking classy.
  • It has a handle at the top so it can be carried like a briefcase.
  • Fits a 15" MacBook Pro perfectly.
  • The styling is very subtle, without any large ONA logos on the front. The only logos on the exterior are the two at either end near the strap attachment.
  • It won't really fit a gripped camera with a lens attached. You'll have to remove either the grip or the lens.
  • There are 4 card pouches in the front pocket, but they're for SD and just barely don't fit CF. I'll have to put DS games in there I guess. :shobon:
  • The strap and attachment points feel very solid. I'm not concerned at all about weighing this thing down.
  • There's a hidden magnetic clasp on the document pocket at the back. Nice touch.
  • No metal surfaces in the large pocket to scratch up your laptop or camera equipment.
  • All of the inserts are removable, including the laptop divider, so you can just use the bag with one big pouch, if you want.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 16, 2011

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Anyone want a Crumpler 7 million dollar home? I'm thinking of switching to something else.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Would someone explain the appeal of the Billingham bags? They look like something a wealthy old woman would carry around to me. Which is a style and all, but still. Now the Ona, that's a sexy bag.

[*]It won't really fit a gripped camera with a lens attached. You'll have to remove either the grip or the lens.

Noooooooooo. Well, actually that saves me about $200. Yay.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Noooooooooo. Well, actually that saves me about $200. Yay.
You might be able to reconfigure it to fit like a gripped Rebel with a nifty fifty, but there's no way in hell my gripped 7D fits with the EF-S 17-55 attached.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
That bag looks like such a better street walking around all day bag than my Think Tank. I need my think tank for work, but man I'm going on Vacation and would absolutely love that bag to take walking around for hours and hours, bet I'd take the DSLR out a lot more than I will with my bigger bag. Or even the smaller bags they have in camera stores, mother fuckers are so nerdy...

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

You might be able to reconfigure it to fit like a gripped Rebel with a nifty fifty, but there's no way in hell my gripped 7D fits with the EF-S 17-55 attached.

Yeah, I've got a gripped 7D too. drat, I really like that bag, but the whole reason I was looking to get a second bag was for a smaller one for when I don't need a ton of gear and just want to go downtown or something. Having to take off my grip and switch the battery or fiddle with lenses any time I take it in or out of the bag would pretty much defeat the purpose of a smaller, more convenient set-up. Looks like I'll stick with the Retrospective 10.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If you're not carrying a laptop, you could probably make it work. I'll fiddle with it tonight and see what sort of arrangement I come up with. It seems like there would be enough room. You'd just have to get the partitions arranged properly. Unfortunately I don't have a wide array of gear to test different configurations out for people. I only have the gripped 7D with the 17-55, and a 580EX II.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If you take out the laptop partition, the bag is just wide enough to accommodate a camera in this orientation. Pardon the iPhone picture in a dim room:

From the top it looks like it completely throws off the shape of the bag, but I think that's just the angle, and once the flap is closed you can't tell. I could definitely see myself forgoing the laptop partition.

edit: I rearranged it so the camera is in the middle now, which I think is a lot better for a single-lens setup. In this case I have my 580EX II on one end, and a Rode SVM on the other. I won't continue to inundate the thread with pictures though. My conclusion is that as long as you aren't carrying a laptop, you can have a gripped camera with lens attached.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 17, 2011

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

God dammit. I know I'm going to buy one eventually.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just got a Black Rapids RS-7 strap with the BRAD attachment today. Haven't shot with it yet. I have worn it with a 5D MKII with a 70-200mm F2.8L USM and it feels extremely secure with good weight distribution. Thumbs up.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

mr. mephistopheles posted:

God dammit. I know I'm going to buy one eventually.

Yeah I just paid off one of my credit cards and I am having to resist a very strong urge to buy one on that card.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZoCrowes posted:

Yeah I just paid off one of my credit cards and I am having to resist a very strong urge to buy one on that card.
It was a lot easier to resist when there were backordered for 2 months, too. Once they hit "Available Now" I couldn't help myself.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
How heavy does that Ona Union Street bag feel without anything in it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just comparing to the weight of my Timbuk2 Blogger which is supposed to weigh 2 lbs. and 6 ounces, I'd say the Union Street's a little bit heaver but not by much. It's not as much of a burden as I thought it might be, based on the materials used.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HeyEng posted:

Just got a Black Rapids RS-7 strap with the BRAD attachment today. Haven't shot with it yet. I have worn it with a 5D MKII with a 70-200mm F2.8L USM and it feels extremely secure with good weight distribution. Thumbs up.

Yeah they are solid as hell. Have put a 5x7 SLR on my RS7, solid as a rock. Need to buy the quickrelease plate accessory though, they were out of stock when I got my RS7.

One of you needs to get this and tell me how much room it has for an NEX-3. :colbert:

Tetrad
Nov 3, 2002
I really wish BlackRapid sold something like the Joey, but large enough for my 580ex II flash.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I didn't like how my Crumpler sat on my back (or rather, didn't) or that I didn't have a dedicated iPad space and I ended up with a 30% off code to Incase, so I bought the bag that I had been lusting after since I started looking at them.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/ari-marcopoulos-camera-bag-cl58033/11

Dedicated iPad space, hangs on your back (more like a sling), and seemingly a built in grey card (silly, but I think it's a nice touch).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How much does that signature stand out? That's a nice bag but that bugs me a little. Maybe it's just me.

E: Whoa there's a crazy looking face on that rain cover :stare:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

DJExile posted:

How much does that signature stand out? That's a nice bag but that bugs me a little. Maybe it's just me.

E: Whoa there's a crazy looking face on that rain cover :stare:
Not sure yet, I have to wait a few weeks before it ships, and yeah the face is something...it's apparently Lil' Wayne for some reason? I won't be using it often...haha.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ouhei posted:

and yeah the face is something...it's apparently Lil' Wayne for some reason?

Holy poo poo that is great

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I may be looking for something that doesn't exist, but what I want is a sturdy backpack with comfortable shoulder straps which can be worn all day and can carry a small consumer camcorder with a moderate amount of accessories as well as a somewhat large tripod (Manfrotto 755xb).

For those not familiar with the dimensions the tripod (with 701HDV head) is 29" long and weighs about 9 pounds, so it would require a fairly substantial backpack to carry it on/in comfortably, but the camera itself is very small. At the moment I carry it and all the accessories in a lowepro edit 120 bag, though since I got an external mic I need something a bit bigger than that, preferably with some room to expand.

The issue is, all the bags I've seen that look big enough for the tripod to be slung from them comfortably are far bigger than what I need for the camera, and quite expensive. Does anyone have a recommendation of a moderately sized backpack which can handle having a 9 pound 29" tripod slung from it (or inside it) and be carried in decent comfort for several hours? I'm thinking something tall and slim would probably be best, given my relatively modest internal space needs.

Face of Boe
Aug 8, 2010

Goodbye Blue Monday
I'm sure there has been one posted before, but I don't know if I want to go through all of the pages. I'm looking for a new camera bag. I want a messenger type bag big enough to hold a Canon 5d, 50mm 1.8 lens, 24-70mm 2.8 lens, flash, couple memory cards, cell phone and maybe a wallet as well. I would love it if the bag was semi-padded with at least a couple pockets or separations for the lenses and flash. Any suggestions?

*edit* something that doesn't scream camera bag either would be great. In the meantime I'll be going back a couple pages to see if there has been something recent.

Face of Boe fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 23, 2011

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I may be looking for something that doesn't exist, but what I want is a sturdy backpack with comfortable shoulder straps which can be worn all day and can carry a small consumer camcorder with a moderate amount of accessories as well as a somewhat large tripod (Manfrotto 755xb).

For those not familiar with the dimensions the tripod (with 701HDV head) is 29" long and weighs about 9 pounds, so it would require a fairly substantial backpack to carry it on/in comfortably, but the camera itself is very small. At the moment I carry it and all the accessories in a lowepro edit 120 bag, though since I got an external mic I need something a bit bigger than that, preferably with some room to expand.

The issue is, all the bags I've seen that look big enough for the tripod to be slung from them comfortably are far bigger than what I need for the camera, and quite expensive. Does anyone have a recommendation of a moderately sized backpack which can handle having a 9 pound 29" tripod slung from it (or inside it) and be carried in decent comfort for several hours? I'm thinking something tall and slim would probably be best, given my relatively modest internal space needs.

I would take a look at the F-stop Loka or Tilopa. The Loka is out of stock until next month, but that is what I'm aiming for when it gets back into stock.

Otherwise lowepro or Thinktank make some alright backpacks that are specific for photography.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Face of Boe posted:

I'm sure there has been one posted before, but I don't know if I want to go through all of the pages. I'm looking for a new camera bag. I want a messenger type bag big enough to hold a Canon 5d, 50mm 1.8 lens, 24-70mm 2.8 lens, flash, couple memory cards, cell phone and maybe a wallet as well. I would love it if the bag was semi-padded with at least a couple pockets or separations for the lenses and flash. Any suggestions?

*edit* something that doesn't scream camera bag either would be great. In the meantime I'll be going back a couple pages to see if there has been something recent.

What about the Incase bag posted 5 posts above yours?

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, check out this thread on another forum. 233 pages of bags to check out.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36952

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Face of Boe posted:

The Thinktank Retrospective that I have, the Ona Union Station bag posted above on this page, any Crumpler that isn't bright green or something - there's lots more than that in this thread too.

Just start from the beginning of this thread and glance through the pages for pictures, there's bound to be some that you like. What you have isn't all that uncommon and should fit most good bags. Price would be your biggest limiting factor.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

Face of Boe posted:

I have a Think Tank Retrospective 10 and it will fit all of that easily. If you want your large lens to be mounted when packed you might want to look at the Retrospective 20 since its deeper.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Falco posted:

I would take a look at the F-stop Loka or Tilopa. The Loka is out of stock until next month, but that is what I'm aiming for when it gets back into stock.

Otherwise lowepro or Thinktank make some alright backpacks that are specific for photography.

The Loka seems like it would do the job nicely but it's larger than I really need, not to mention being far above what I was hoping to spend.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The Loka seems like it would do the job nicely but it's larger than I really need, not to mention being far above what I was hoping to spend.

I feel you on that. Most camera specific bags are really expensive. One option would be to buy one of the f-stop ICU's and fit it into a different backpack. That way you get the protection for your camera gear and possibly a much cheaper backpack. If you have any REI stores near you check out their used gear sales. You could potentially pick up a $40-50 backpacking or snowboarding backpack that would work perfect with an ICU. Just an idea.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Does anyone know anything about the tripod bags made by Kinesis?

http://www.kgear.com/store/index.php/t/bags.html

I'm thinking I may get one of their bags and harnesses to make it into a backpack, then use a shoulder bag for my camera and gear. I don't always bring my tripod everywhere, and a shoulder bag would offer faster access to my camera.

Edit: I've decided to go with the Tamrac express 7 shoulder bag mostly because it's the only thin camera bag I could find that is also fairly tall and wide. Most of the bags designed for DSLRs are too deep for a small camcorder to fit securely, and this bag will let me put the camera in with the external mic attached. Still undecided on the tripod bag.

Edit again: Here's another interesting option, unfortunately it is only available from the UK and it would make me look like an even bigger dork than I already do.

http://www.scopac.co.uk/scopaclite.html

It straps to a tripod and lets you carry it as a backpack, even with the legs deployed if you want. It can even be carried with your camera mounted to it, and you don't have to remove it to use the tripod.

Edit the third: I've decided to go with the dorky UK option, because it seems like the best way to have a tripod ready for use at a moments notice as well as being able to carry it comfortably. There are other backpacks that would also be comfortable, specifically one by manfrotto which they call the bucket backpack, but it's out of production, significantly more expensive, and probably takes a lot longer to get the tripod out of and set up. I'll let you guys know what I think of it when I get it. My Tamrac express 7 arrived today and it's almost perfect. The one thing I would change if I could is the velcro strips inside are kind of easy to catch the edge of something on when putting it into the bag or taking it out.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 25, 2011

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

I noticed some of you guys don't mind tossing your lenses into your bags without a rear lens cap. Does this really not bother you that much? Not knocking the choice, just curious. I kind of get annoyed with having to take my rear lens cap off all the time anyway.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ballistic Photon posted:

I noticed some of you guys don't mind tossing your lenses into your bags without a rear lens cap. Does this really not bother you that much? Not knocking the choice, just curious. I kind of get annoyed with having to take my rear lens cap off all the time anyway.

If I'm not going to be putting anything on top of it (like a 70-200) then I don't bother. The underside of the bag (the only thing that would touch it) doesn't have anything sharp/hard.

For smaller lenses that I stack I'll put one on.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!
I got a job at a summer camp in Colorado in the mountains (camp Cheley if anyone knows it) and I need a photo backpack for two bodies, 4 lenses, one strobe, a laptop, and gear for hiking/camping with groups. I've been looking at the Tilopa BC by F-Stop bags, but it's really expensive ($325) however it is an awesome backpack in the true sense of the word. http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/tilopa-bc

Any other recommendations for something cheaper or better suited to my needs?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rubbersoul posted:

I got a job at a summer camp in Colorado in the mountains (camp Cheley if anyone knows it) and I need a photo backpack for two bodies, 4 lenses, one strobe, a laptop, and gear for hiking/camping with groups. I've been looking at the Tilopa BC by F-Stop bags, but it's really expensive ($325) however it is an awesome backpack in the true sense of the word. http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/tilopa-bc

What size of lenses? Do the bodies have battery grips?What kind of hiking gear? This is a hell of a lot of stuff that's going into one bag.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

rubbersoul posted:

I have that bag and I doubt it would be big enough. I have been meaning to do a review of it. What type of hiking gear are you taking with you? I bet the camera gear would fit (depending on the gear you have) fine in that bag but I doubt you would get get your camping gear in there. I am thinking you are going to need a much bigger bag and/or reduce the gear you are taking. You may want to consider getting one of the ICU's from fstop and put it in a large hiking bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

http://lonewolfstrap.tumblr.com/

Super indie camera straps!

• Locked thread