Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Secondly, Nebraska isn't exactly proportional. Each district is voted on separately, and whoever wins the majority in the state gets the two senate votes. Exactly like Maine.
Didn't know that. Thanks.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Not a chain e-mail, but I think it's appropriate for this thread, dealing with Tea Party folk.

5 Republican Presidents the Tea Party doesn't realize they're supposed to hate.

I imagine it would make for some amusing discussion among tea party friends and relatives.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

My mom just sent this to me. She converted to Beckism in a big, big way once Obama got elected, and now every interaction she has with me is veiled jabs at how stupid progressivism is. :smith:

Within the first five minutes I saw at least five old white people lamenting the loss of Rockwell's America, scary footage of with fear-mongering dialog, and the repeated assertion that judeochristian principles are the only thing that makes this the greatest country in the word.

I wanted to believe that the whole video was brilliant satire since it shows such contradictory images and narration as "they want to tear down our best institutions with rot!" is played over footage of a guy tearing down the Berlin Wall, and general "scary liberals suppressing ideas!" voiceover is paired with images from a book burning... in which titles from Lenin are plainly visible. :downs:

Edit: Fixed link

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 18, 2011

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

My mom just sent this to me. She converted to Beckism in a big, big way once Obama got elected, and now every interaction she has with me is veiled jabs at how stupid progressivism is. :smith:

Within the first five minutes I saw at least five old white people lamenting the loss of Rockwell's America, scary footage of with fear-mongering dialog, and the repeated assertion that judeochristian principles are the only thing that makes this the greatest country in the word.

I wanted to believe that the whole video was brilliant satire since it shows such contradictory images and narration as "they want to tear down our best institutions with rot!" is played over footage of a guy tearing down the Berlin Wall, and general "scary liberals suppressing ideas!" voiceover is paired with images from a book burning... in which titles from Lenin are plainly visible. :downs:

Why exactly is progressivism supposed to be bad? I've never met a Tea Partier able to coherently explain it.

Edit: Mr. Interweb, your link isn't working.

Brennanite fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 18, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Brennanite posted:

Why exactly is progressivism supposed to be bad? I've never met a Tea Partier able to coherently explain it.

Redistribution of wealth, giving my hard earned money to lazy blacks, killing babies with tax dollars, etc.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Brennanite posted:

According to my super libertarian history professor, progressivism is bad because of big government, and "the idea that the government is a magical fairy who waves her wand, and bippity-boppity-boop fixes anything." His words. I left out the condescending hand gestures that went with this.

To his credit, when he brought up eugenics, he tempered it by saying "But a lot of systems of government have their own screwed up horror stories. Progressivism's was eugenics, and that doesn't represent modern day progressivists."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Brennanite posted:

As I understand it comes from 2 sources, not surprisingly, it's often race based.

Blacks, women or the poor - want to take your money away and not work. Also want special treatment due to stuff that totally happened in the past and is over (racism, sexism etc.)

White, middle to upper class - Naive idealists who don't understand their movement is being controlled by the former group.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Brennanite posted:

It also helps that they only have a vague understanding of the underlying economics or history of a given position.

The best example is usually related to "BIG GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS RUINING THE FREE MARKET." When you point out that the utter lack of regulation lead to the McMansion-centric housing market crash, or the derivatives market crash, or the S&L scandals in the 80's; just about every economic crash or disaster going back to the Great Depression was almost directly caused by a lack of oversight, government or otherwise.

They blink for a second, you think you've finally gotten through, then they change the subject to unions or long-form birth certificates or whatever.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Brennanite posted:

It should be working now. The site seems to act wonky when it's late at night for some reason.

http://alphanovus.org/?p=256

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I didn't want to cloud up the Japan Nuclear situation thread with this. An environmentalist friend has been posting every single anti-nuclear news article he comes across. I started by pointing out it's very odd to see him linking to Daily Mail and Exxon press releases. After cussing me out on one post, he sent me a chat message:

quote:

Environmentalist: gotta warn ya...
I don't cotton to seeing misinformation such as "nukes are safe" on my facebook pages
and if you actually believe that...better believe I don't want to hear about it

XyloJW: I'm willing to have a discussion on this subject, if you're willing to be civil about it
i'm not closed minded

Environmentalist: absolutely not, thankls
that would be like having a discussion on whether homosexuality is a mental illness
there is no solution to the problem of nuclear waste, none.
and I'm not civil about stuff like this
but I thought I'd at least give you fair warnimng, if you care

XyloJW: Environmentalist, you know i'm not crazy, and i'm not a fanatic, and i'm not even conservative. is it really so hard to have a discussion, like reasonable adults, about a subject?

Environmentalist: not interested
I am staunchly anti-nuke, and have been since twice as long as there's been a you
I know a lot about this subject
and don't feel the need to type about it with you
sorry
lot of other things to do
just confine your promotion of nukes elsewhere, please and thank you.

XyloJW: i'm sorry too

I'm basically beside myself at how quickly the whole retarded mentality that leads to crazy political emails will spring out of someone.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Isn't there a plant in Sweden that processes nuclear waste?

It's always seemed like a silly excuse, that "we can't process nuclear waste, so we shouldn't even try." Just because there's no way now to fully process it doesn't mean there's A) No way to safely store it and B) no way to ever process it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
We sure can't if we're not even allowed to discuss it. I also like that he says he's been "anti-nuke" for twice as long as I've been alive. Which means about 50 years. He's been against nuclear power since 1960. According to wiki, the first commercial nuclear power plant was opened in 1958. He's basically had his fingers in his ears from day-one.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

XyloJW posted:

I didn't want to cloud up the Japan Nuclear situation thread with this. An environmentalist friend has been posting every single anti-nuclear news article he comes across. I started by pointing out it's very odd to see him linking to Daily Mail and Exxon press releases. After cussing me out on one post, he sent me a chat message:

I'm basically beside myself at how quickly the whole retarded mentality that leads to crazy political emails will spring out of someone.

Yeah, you're not going to get anywhere when he comes right out and says "I am not willing to even be civil towards you if you disagree with me" and "I have lots of reasons but I am not going to tell you what they are so nyah"

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

I am staunchly anti-nuke, and have been since twice as long as there's been a you
I know a lot about this subject
and don't feel the need to type about it with you
sorry
lot of other things to do
just confine your promotion of nukes elsewhere, please and thank you.

It's like a loving anti-nuke hipster. I can feel the disdain for mainstreamers that think nuclear power is safe

I was against nuclear waste disposal back when it was (buried) underground :smug:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 19, 2011

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

XyloJW posted:

Ugh, I hate "environmentalist"'s framing of this issue. By saying he's "anti-nuke" it makes it sound like he's anti-nuclear weaponry, not anti-nuclear power which probably makes people more likely to agree with him.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

revengeanceful posted:

Ugh, I hate "environmentalist"'s framing of this issue. By saying he's "anti-nuke" it makes it sound like he's anti-nuclear weaponry, not anti-nuclear power which probably makes people more likely to agree with him.

You'd be surprised how many literally think they're the same thing.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

This conversation sparked from my wife's status update. The religious individual is the curator for a crationist museum in a town in Alberta near my city.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
This loving guy came to open-air preach at my college a few days ago. You can imagine how it went. I could go into more detail if needed (and I'm quite sure I'm going to end up on his blog since we had some words) but at one point someone asked him, "Is there anything I could present to you that would ever cause you to doubt that God exists?" And he said, "No."

Then why the gently caress are we even talking to each other?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

the posted:

This loving guy came to open-air preach at my college a few days ago. You can imagine how it went. I could go into more detail if needed (and I'm quite sure I'm going to end up on his blog since we had some words) but at one point someone asked him, "Is there anything I could present to you that would ever cause you to doubt that God exists?" And he said, "No."

Then why the gently caress are we even talking to each other?

I dunno why you're even talking to him, or why there's a "discussion." It's not a dialogue. It's more of an interactive performance piece. Whose soul are you saving by talking to campus preachers?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

This conversation sparked from my wife's status update. The religious individual is the curator for a crationist museum in a town in Alberta near my city.

It's posts like this that remind me why I deleted my facebook account.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

The first mistake made was for some reason ceding the "marriage comes from the BIBLE!" point. A rational person can understand the argument that was being made there, but people like that are rarely rational.

When you argue, "well even if [X] was true, then [something else that negates their stupid argument anyway]" all they hear is the "[X] is true" bit. You can't concede anything to irrational people "just for the sake of argument" because they'll latch on to anything that supports what they're already thinking, including your hypotheticals.

The debate should have been about how marriage has been defined dozens of different ways by hundreds of different cultures (most of whom had never heard of the bible) and has been re-defined over and over again even in Christian-influenced Western cultures. Instead it turned into a biblical debate and the "beauty" of the Bible is they can interpret that poo poo however the gently caress they want to support their own arguments. (Though if you ever get trapped down that road again, perhaps you should ask whose interpretation of the Bible should be codified into law. Should a marriage have to be approved by the Catholic church? What about polygamy? Plenty of that in the Bible. Etc...)

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just got hit with a "One can only dismiss anecdotal information so much."

It's a shame there's no button on the internet that puts together all the points of a debate and displays the winner, because that line means it's me!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Talking with my stepmother this morning, she started going on about how academics can't possibly know what the real world is like. I asked her to explain what she meant, and asked her "They don't have jobs? They don't have to pay bills? They don't have families?" She refused to explain what she meant by it.

Asking her to defend the assumptions she lays out seems like it's worked pretty well in the debates I've had with her. So yeah, the idea that marriage comes from the Bible doesn't hold water.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

quote:

The first mistake made was for some reason ceding the "marriage comes from the BIBLE!" point. A rational person can understand the argument that was being made there, but people like that are rarely rational.

When you argue, "well even if [X] was true, then [something else that negates their stupid argument anyway]" all they hear is the "[X] is true" bit. You can't concede anything to irrational people "just for the sake of argument" because they'll latch on to anything that supports what they're already thinking, including your hypotheticals.

The debate should have been about how marriage has been defined dozens of different ways by hundreds of different cultures (most of whom had never heard of the bible) and has been re-defined over and over again even in Christian-influenced Western cultures. Instead it turned into a biblical debate and the "beauty" of the Bible is they can interpret that poo poo however the gently caress they want to support their own arguments. (Though if you ever get trapped down that road again, perhaps you should ask whose interpretation of the Bible should be codified into law. Should a marriage have to be approved by the Catholic church? What about polygamy? Plenty of that in the Bible. Etc...)

I was not a participant, but agree, I would have gone the route of marriage existing long before christiantiy. Trey is my brother-in-law so I only got to view it after the fact.

Thanks for the debate pointers, they'll come in handy in the future!

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Choadmaster posted:

You can't concede anything to irrational people "just for the sake of argument"

Debates are about rhetoric with sway-able people, not about reasoning with rational people. (and I reckon that those of us who pride ourselves on being rational are in fact misleading ourselves...)

I think it's a common rhetorical trope to agree with people for the sake of argument -- think "Brutus was an honorable man".

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

quote:

Can't pick and choose what religious rules to follow

Unless he never wore clothing of mixed fibre, ate shrimp, or looked at another woman lustfully, apparently yes you can! But hypocrisy is not a big deal if you're not gay, right?

Seeing as it's sort of on-topic, I'll post this here (especially 32 is relevant):

50 Best Reasons Gay Marriage is Wrong posted:

Irony is a form of expression in which an implicit meaning is concealed or contradicted by the explicit meaning of the expression. Irony involves the perception that things are not what they are said to be or what they seem.

Socratic irony is feigning ignorance in order to expose the weakness of another's position.

That said, let's move on to:

50 Best reasons Gay Marriage is wrong!

1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, birth control and air conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all: women are property, matches are arranged in childhood, blacks can't marry whites, Catholics can't marry Jews, divorce is illegal, and adultery is punishable by death

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9. If we look to the word of God, His punishment for sexual immorality is equal to that of murder. Therefore, teaching kids to tolerate homosexuality is equal to teaching them to tolerate murder.

10. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

11. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy (insurance, government, tourism, banking, retail, education, and social services), suburban malls, or longer life spans.

12. Gay marriage should be decided by people not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of the minorities.

13. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a “seperate but equal” institution is always constitutional. Seperate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as seperate marriages for gays and lesbians will.

14. There is no separation between religious marriage and legal marriage, because there is no separation of church and state.

15. Devout, faithful Anglicans should never accept same-sex marriage, because it is an affront to the traditional family values upheld by Henry VIII and his wife, Catherine of Aragon, and his wife, Anne Boleyn, and his wife, Jane Seymour, and his wife, Anne of Cleves, and his wife, Catherine Howard, and his wife, Catherine Parr. They all knew the meaning of marriage and none of them lost their heads over the matter.

16. Married gay people will encourage others to be gay, in a way that unmarried gay people do not.

17. Legalizing gay marriage will lead to legalizing dog marriage. This can be inferred from the history of other political initiatives for gender equality. For example, when American women got the right to vote in 1920, it led to terriers voting in 1925, and when Title IX was passed in 1972 to prevent sex discrimination in any federally-funded school, resulting in the creation of athletic opportunities for girls, it led to Bichon Frises on the basketball court during the Reagan administration.

18. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to legislative change in general, which could possibly include the legalization of polygamy, incest, medical marijuana, and unmuzzled pit bulls. Because we don’t know what might come down the next slippery slope, we should never change any law.

19. Legal marriage will inspire gays to mimic straight traditions, such as spiritual commitment ceremonies and celebratory parties, which is currently impermissible for them to do and which they have never done before.

20. Marriage is designed to protect the well-being of children. Gay people do not need marriage because they never have children from prior relationships, artificial insemination, surrogacy, or adoption.

21. Civil unions are a good option because "separate but equal" institutions are always constitutional. In fact, compared with marriage, civil unions are so attractive that straight people are calling dibs on them.

22. A man should not be able to marry whomever a woman can marry, and a woman should not be able to marry whomever a man can marry, because in this country we do not believe in gender equality.

23. If gays marry, some of straight people's tax dollars would end up supporting families whose structure they may find morally objectionable. Clearly, it is more just to continue taking gay people's tax dollars to support straight families, who are going to heaven regardless of what anyone else thinks of them.

24. Gays should hold off on the marriage question until society is more accepting of them, because they are not part of society.

25. The people's voice must be heard on this issue. Therefore, we must have a vote on a federal constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, because we can't think of any other way to discuss the issue.

26. Each state should decide for itself whether gay marriage will be recognized, because there is no "full faith and credit" clause that requires states to recognize each other's institutions.

27. Gay marriage attempts to replace natural heterosexual instinct with a cultural institution. Morality demands that we subordinate institutionalized commitment to raw, unfettered, biological impulse.

28. Gay marriages could very well suffer maladies like domestic violence and substance abuse. That's why we invented the Quality Control department to pre-approve the righteousness of all marriage applicants.

29. Those who support gay marriage aim to overthrow the dominant culture, as evidenced by their enthusiasm to participate in it.

30. If the state performs gay marriages, Christians might become more liberal and divide into more mutually opposed parties. Since the government is an arm of the church and is responsible for keeping the peace in Christian leadership councils, it should not get involved with gay marriage.

31. After gay marriage was legalized in Scandinavian countries in 2004, more heterosexual couples realized they wanted to live together and bear children without marrying first. Banning gay marriage is a good way to prevent this practice, as is banning independent thought and mandating straight marriage by age 21.

32. Heterosexual marriage was invented in the Biblical book of Genesis. Written somewhere between 1500 and 500 BCE, Genesis came as a great relief to people in many cultures, such as China, who, prior to 1500 BCE, sat around waiting for the Mesopotamians to invent the family unit.

33. Gay marriage would allow more partners and children to sign onto the family breadwinner's healthcare plan. Given that 44 million Americans do not have health insurance, it is safe to say that health insurance is not an American value.

34. The possibility of getting a gay marriage might encourage some married heterosexuals to divorce and seek a gay union instead. These marriages were obviously happy and successful, and the justices who provide gay second marriages should be charged with alienation of affection.

35. Gay marriage may hurl the populace into existential crisis and cause spontaneous divorces. Divorce triggers our moral hemorrhaging, but we will keep it legal. It is easier to seek the criminalization of gay marriage than the criminalization of divorce, particularly because most of us have had a few divorces.

36. Gay marriage is tainted because some of the applicants might be divorcees marrying for the second time. We oppose remarriage, and would like to ensure that no one marries more than once; therefore we will oppose the entire institution of marriage, to ensure that no one ever marries at all. That casts the net wide enough to catch all the would-be second-timers.

37. The people have the right to demand to vote on a Massachusetts constitutional amendment against gay marriage. There is no reason for proposed amendments to go through the state Legislature first, as is constitutionally required, because the Legislature doesn't spend all that many paid hours sitting around discussing the legal ramifications on behalf of ordinary citizens who are too busy with their own jobs to figure out everything at stake.

38. The arguments for gay marriage are flawed because Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry has made inconsistent statements about gay marriage, and he is known for his consistency on other issues.

39. Married gay couples will find it easier to adopt children, who might then be bullied and teased by other children for who their parents are. This reflects poorly on the judgment of gays who adopt children with the risk that their child could possibly be teased. It does not, of course, imply anything about the responsibilities of heterosexual parents, whose children only pick up rocks for geological interest and couldn't have been listening when their parents made those comments about their neighbors.

40. Children of married gay couples might suffer bullying and teasing more often than children of unmarried gay couples, because playground bullies are sensitive to the nuances of contract law.

41. It is reasonable and fair to institute "civil unions" that provide all the rights and responsibilities of marriage, but we cannot apply the holy, mystical word "marriage" to this contract. Deriving from the Latin maritare, "marriage" evokes the dignity of the typical Roman man who engaged in licentious sex with both sexes until he reached middle age, at which time he maritared a teenage girl to bear his children.

42. According to the three proposed "compromise" Massachusetts constitutional amendments defeated by the Legislature on Feb. 11 and 12, 2004, the best way to "protect the unique relationship of [heterosexual] marriage" is to institute civil unions that are in every way identical to it.

43. God created the institution of marriage, just after he created 2.9% APR automobile financing, student loans, HMOs, and divorce.

44. We must defer to the President's opinion on gay marriage, since the Republican party was given its authority by God. As it is written: "Republican and Democrat created He them." Paul elaborated: "Democrats, submit to the Republican."

45. In San Francisco, where renegade officials have married same-sex couples for the past several weeks, experts suggest that the city may suffer an earthquake in about ten years. Geological experts, that is. But good Christians don't recognize the opinion of Earth scientists, who falsely claim the Earth is 4.5 billion years old; they get their seismic information from their preachers, who say the earthquake's coming next week.

46. Allowing same-sex marriage could increase gay public displays of affection, because marriage has historically been proven to stimulate couples' interest in sex.

47. Making civil marriage available to same-sex couples could spur the wedding industry, and businesses would sure hate to pay taxes on all that profit.

48. Straight men are opposed to gay marriage because they would prefer that gay men try to be straight and compete with them for access to women, trimming down the pool of eligible dates to make courtship more challenging and exciting.

49. The country can't afford to provide benefits for any more married couples. That's why President Bush would never consider spending $150 million on programs that encourage more straight people to get married.

50. Gay marriage is wrong because children might be led to think that it is right and that would clearly be wrong.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Angry Avocado posted:

My favorite is number 50, because someone actually wrote it and thought it was good enough to be the stinger.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

My favorite is number 50, because someone actually wrote it and thought it was good enough to be the stinger.

It's not?

To crazy people one of the worst things about gay marriage is that schools will teach their children tolerance.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Did you actually read the list? It's not an actual anti-gay marriage list; it's a parody of one meant to show the irony inherent in those claims. I thought it was funny and well thought out.

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

ErIog posted:

Talking with my stepmother this morning, she started going on about how academics can't possibly know what the real world is like. I asked her to explain what she meant, and asked her "They don't have jobs? They don't have to pay bills? They don't have families?" She refused to explain what she meant by it.

Asking her to defend the assumptions she lays out seems like it's worked pretty well in the debates I've had with her. So yeah, the idea that marriage comes from the Bible doesn't hold water.

I do this with my dad all the time. I also fact check things that both of us claim.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

The Macaroni posted:

^^^ Nebraska distributes their votes proportionately, because the Lincoln/Omaha metro area was tired of getting lumped in with the rural western part of the state (or vice versa).

Only Omaha (the second congressional district) gets its own vote. Nebraska legislators are trying to change that though, because Omaha often votes for the disgusting commu-nazi liberals.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

It's not?

To crazy people one of the worst things about gay marriage is that schools will teach their children tolerance.

I'm gay myself and I think it's kind of a bad zinger, because the kind of people against gay marriage do literally think that with no hyperbole.

I'm down with 1-49 though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm gay myself and I think it's kind of a bad zinger, because the kind of people against gay marriage do literally think that with no hyperbole.

I'm down with 1-49 though.

I think the kind of people who are against gays (let's not kid ourselves) would unironically agree with 9 as well.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cjones posted:

Only Omaha (the second congressional district) gets its own vote. Nebraska legislators are trying to change that though, because Omaha often votes for the disgusting commu-nazi liberals.

Nope, all three get their own votes, and 2008 was the first time the electoral votes were actually split.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

Angry Avocado posted:

Unless he never wore clothing of mixed fibre, ate shrimp, or looked at another woman lustfully, apparently yes you can! But hypocrisy is not a big deal if you're not gay, right?

Seeing as it's sort of on-topic, I'll post this here (especially 32 is relevant):

Dayim. I remember when this was ten points long.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

White, middle class male from the suburbs. Shocking! Calls Maher a "gutter sniping loony left coward," & also thinks we should bomb Libya from the safety of our couches. What does he care? He's never going to have to actually fight in a war.

It only took one smart bomb to take out Hussein, right? Failing that, we can always send in a ground force to sit there indefinitely, right? We can also destroy the infrastructure and indiscriminately kill civilians, it worked out so well in Iraq for the past 8 loving years. Afghanistan became a picture-perfect democracy after we took out the Taliban, right?

Of course, if he read Reuters, CNN, or an actual news source, he would know that Quaddafi has surrounded himself with civilians to act as a human shield. But who cares, they're all brown Muslims after all. Barely even human!

I don't want to share the planet with these loving people any more.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The people aren't at fault, it's just their coping mechanism for living in, and therefore implicitly supporting, capitalism. If the defence industries have decided that America should purchase a trillion dollars worth of cruise missiles with which to throw against an arbitrary, easily isolated nation, then voters have to reconcile their implicit support of the system that allows that to happen by creating a narrative that gives a reason for that pointless destruction. To make things easier, capitalism often supplies narratives of its own accord that people can buy into without thinking too hard.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

red19fire posted:

White, middle class male from the suburbs. Shocking! Calls Maher a "gutter sniping loony left coward," & also thinks we should bomb Libya from the safety of our couches. What does he care? He's never going to have to actually fight in a war.

I don't want to share the planet with these loving people any more.

To be fair, Bill Maher is an rear end in a top hat.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

"Gutter-sniping" and doing "anything for a buck" are ironic terms to use, since those seem to be the two things that circulate Palin's entire existence.

From what I gather Maher used the term "dumb twat", which is a pretty stupid thing to say on his part, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

tek79 posted:

"Gutter-sniping" and doing "anything for a buck" are ironic terms to use, since those seem to be the two things that circulate Palin's entire existence.

From what I gather Maher used the term "dumb twat", which is a pretty stupid thing to say on his part, to be fair.

He's a political comedian with very well known hatred for the Right, why would anyone be surprised that he called Palin a twat?