Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The message is pretty much 99.99% poo poo. But it's more than likely Billy is just loving with people for fun.

http://popdust.com/2011/02/18/was-smashing-pumpkins-bassist-a-cover-model-for-siamese-dream/ - The photo shoot WAS specific for the record apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Happy Hippo posted:

Every time Corgan opens his mouth I like him less and less.

That's the problem with being a terrible singer :v:

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

The Black Stones posted:

The message is pretty much 99.99% poo poo. But it's more than likely Billy is just loving with people for fun.

http://popdust.com/2011/02/18/was-smashing-pumpkins-bassist-a-cover-model-for-siamese-dream/ - The photo shoot WAS specific for the record apparently.

If that's true why would they claim something so easily disproved? Either way it's idiotic but yknow... Billy Corgan...!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Billy is the gullible one here... ya know, cuz of all those chemtrails and such :downs:

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I can't believe there's this much discussion on an obvious Billy style joke. Has anyone not learned anything over the past 20 years?

Nicole was born in 1979. She would have been 13/14 when that album came out. Also, here's a picture of her as a kid:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pizza Club posted:

I can't believe there's this much discussion on an obvious Billy style joke. Has anyone not learned anything over the past 20 years?

Nicole was born in 1979. She would have been 13/14 when that album came out. Also, here's a picture of her as a kid:

Oh man, the rabbit-hole goes deeper! :allears:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Apparently Billy is promising a new song this March.

Also, Jimmy's new band Skysaw has a song up at their website if you want to hear what Jimmy is up to now - http://skysawmusic.com/

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
:woop:

Billy posted:

new SP song most likely coming out next week...putting final pieces in place now

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New song this thursday

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

New song this thursday

I so terribly want to be really excited for this. And my hopes are still high, but... well... :smith:

Listening to the Hello Kitty Kat demo from Mashed Potatoes.. christ I wish I could get that sound in Amplitube 3/Logic. Still working away. The fuzz is almost palpable; I feel like I could bite it right out of the air, and I love that.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Saw that this was bumped, checked in on where they were, progress-wise.

Billy's slowed down-- now it's gonna take him over 8 years to finish the record at this rate. He should probably just admit he was full of poo poo when he announced this project so he can relax. Unless he's planning on somehow tying it in with his 50th birthday.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hello Kitty Kat

That is such a superb b-side, and probably one of my favorite Pumpkin songs. It brings me back to that wonderful age where my late-teens early 20's co-mingled with angsty relationship drivel. Back then, Corgan was writing songs for you, and man did that poo poo click.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

That is such a superb b-side, and probably one of my favorite Pumpkin songs. It brings me back to that wonderful age where my late-teens early 20's co-mingled with angsty relationship drivel. Back then, Corgan was writing songs for you, and man did that poo poo click.

Yes! Precisely! I just can't find the same connection with the new stuff, but dammit, I'm trying.

Anyone have any amp-sim-specific tips to get a Pumpkins-esque tone? This might do better to be posted in ML, but it's somewhat on-topic, and I can't imagine this thread doesn't have its fair share of guitar players that love that sound.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Anyone have any amp-sim-specific tips to get a Pumpkins-esque tone? This might do better to be posted in ML, but it's somewhat on-topic, and I can't imagine this thread doesn't have its fair share of guitar players that love that sound.
http://glittercop.blogspot.com/2009/10/billy-talks-about-effect-pedals-used-on.html
I don't know about amp settings per say, but that blog post shows the exact settings (apparently) that Billy says he used while recording Siamese Dream. The blog is written by Kerry Brown, so the info is good.
Personally I have a Big Muff, and it definitely gets a fairly Pumpkins-esque sound. That being said Billy obviously had some other stuff going on that I can't imitate, though I do plan on picking up an Electric Mistress eventually. For nice quiet-loud switches (ala Mayonaise), the Big Muff is excellent.

But I know what you mean. That tone he had on songs like The Aeroplane Flies High and Drown (just a Big Muff does a pretty good job when I play those songs), and like all of Pisces Iscariot (the solo in Starla comes to mind), is a sound that I absolutely love. For me, as the Pumpkins lost that sound they started getting less interesting, disregarding Adore, Adore was awesome.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
If you're trying to emulate the recordings, keep in mind that there are like 50 guitar tracks layered over each other on most parts. (Totally made-up number, but still.)
A Big Muff should do pretty well, though, yeah; and here's a page with some gear specs.

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/117-smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-guitar-gear-rig-and-equipment

planets in space
May 25, 2007

So... what now then?
I'm stoked for the new song, but it's hard to maintain enthusiasm with such an inconsistent musician. It feels like Teargarden was just a passing idea he was super jazzed about for a brief moment, which then totally lost his interest. Probably regrets announcing a 44-song endeavor and now is pissed that he has to hold himself accountable.

But will he? I don't know if he'll follow through with the whole deal.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I am fairly confident that Corgan is capable of pulling the remaining 30 odd songs out of the Celestial Portal to an enlightened heaven that is his pretentious rear end if so tasked. However, it's a matter of quantity over quality. Is there really anyone posting in this thread that would rather have 44 mundane songs that maybe get tossed into a random shuffle on a very irregular basis over 8 or 9 songs that form a soundtrack to lost weekends and coveted like truly wondrous artifacts (cf. Siamese Dream).

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
aaaaaaaaand new song
http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/smashingpumpkins.html

e: and the first thing I notice is that Mike's drumming is actually excellent in this song.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dammit, it won't work from my office. Just continually loads.

EDIT: Facebook is blocked here. Ah well, I'll wait until I get home, unless it shows up somewhere else, or on youtube.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 17, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
:( I think my link is good, though they posted it on the facebook page so you can try the link there

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Definitely some great drumming.

I really like the song. It's great. If he continues with the quality of the songs since Freak, I think the Teargarden stuff will be my favorite stuff after Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie.

Also, the Link should be good.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Yeah, this is the first time the touring band has actually recorded together. I think it shows. The band actually sounds like the focus, as opposed to the first few songs when more Billy and his guitar were the focus.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, I agree. It definitely makes a difference. I wonder how long the wait will be for the next song now. I only hope that "My Love is Winter" gets put up soon because I really like that one from the youtube videos I saw of the live shows.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Uh, gently caress me, this song is awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: Finally worked! Listening now! I'm really liking it.

Still, I miss the old vocal mix.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 17, 2011

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

EDIT: Finally worked! Listening now! I'm really liking it.

Still, I miss the old vocal mix.

I think the vocals got better since Zeitgiest though. Billy's voice sounded loving loud there. As if it would drown out the music. With the newer stuff they ramped it back a bit I feel. But I do agree with you.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The song is okay, but the constant synths in the background add nothing to the song and are very annoying.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Really? I like the synths. Though it might be that I just like synths in general.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

DominoDancing posted:

The song is okay, but the constant synths in the background add nothing to the song and are very annoying.

I agree, it's nice that the vocals are dialed back from their dominance on Zeitgeist, but the synths are posing the same issues by blunting the effect of the guitars/drums.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

LtTennisBall posted:

Really? I like the synths. Though it might be that I just like synths in general.

I have a Pet Shop Boys avatar. Believe me, I LOVE synths. But they serve no purpose here at all, as kalensc said, they just make the mix a lot muddier. It certainly doesn't help that they synth sound is cheap as hell. Still, this is one of the better songs to come out of this project, I won't deny that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'm not the hugest fan of the synths either. But I can easily ignore them enough that it doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of the song.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

I have a Pet Shop Boys avatar. Believe me, I LOVE synths. But they serve no purpose here at all, as kalensc said, they just make the mix a lot muddier. It certainly doesn't help that they synth sound is cheap as hell. Still, this is one of the better songs to come out of this project, I won't deny that.

Ah, wasn't trying to imply that. For whatever reason though it doesn't interfere at all for me, but at the same time I can see where it is generally disconcerting.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Billy
Super major unreal happy SP news coming next week. Plus auction news too. Next week is gonna be big SP week. Thank you to all our great fans
(via twitter)
WHAT COULD IT BE! probably disappointment, but still.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Maybe it'll be that he'll have another song out soon and it won't be a 3-4 month wait this time around!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LtTennisBall posted:

Billy
Super major unreal happy SP news coming next week. Plus auction news too. Next week is gonna be big SP week. Thank you to all our great fans
(via twitter)

Everyone but Darcy is back in the band!

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Everyone but Darcy is back in the band!

Everyone except Darcy is out of the band!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Thanks to whoever posted that D'arcy mesh top/adore era photo. :swoon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Thanks to whoever posted that D'arcy mesh top/adore era photo. :swoon:

You're very welcome. Love it so much.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

LtTennisBall posted:

Billy
(via twitter)

He is going to announce that they are rereleasing all previous albums but now recorded with the current lineup and mixed the same way Zeitgeist was. There will be a recall of all previous versions and anyone caught with one will be arrested by the RIAA and subject to public lashings. At that point he will lash out at everyone saying that it is our fault that music moved away from his style and to other styles.

Alternately, the rest of the original band memebers have reunited under the name "picking up the pieces" and their album will be named "old forgotten gourds". It will be mixed by flood, produced by butch vig, and the new vocalist will be Shirley Manson. The bad news is that they are making Billy open for them on their world wide tour as an act of domination and to humiliate them. Billy will be invited back on for one song per show but it will always be a song that Iha sings. ALWAYS.

I can dream can't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
BILLY CAN SING TAKE ME DOWN
and he still wouldn't be able to save it.

• Locked thread