Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

As if an immobile tank with a single operable machinegun would've kept the infantry fighting?

As if they'd instantly let the hostages go and flee the field if the last tank died?

You've got it set up so that they're killing hostages one by one, not prioritizing the known VIPs, and are ready to flee at the drop of a hat. I know it's supposed to be intentionally rigged in the favor of the players, but you can't apply logic to one half of it and then not the other.

That said, if you've got some kind of backup plan to turn it into a Pyhrric victory even after the Cappellan infantry retreats, that would change my opinion a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Let alone one a few hundred feet away from anything worth shooting at.

There's mechs left! They're just on Cappella. :smugdassian:

Sair
May 11, 2007

This may be the first time I've seen the end stages of a battle and a Rifleman was in the best shape.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

As if they'd instantly let the hostages go and flee the field if the last tank died?

You've got it set up so that they're killing hostages one by one, not prioritizing the known VIPs, and are ready to flee at the drop of a hat. I know it's supposed to be intentionally rigged in the favor of the players, but you can't apply logic to one half of it and then not the other.

That said, if you've got some kind of backup plan to turn it into a Pyhrric victory even after the Cappellan infantry retreats, that would change my opinion a bit.

And Poptarts would care about the opinions of someone who supports child murder... why?
I kid. I kid.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

paragon1 posted:

And Poptarts would care about the opinions of someone who supports child murder... why?
I kid. I kid.

He murdered those 23 toddlers in self-defense!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

He murdered those 23 toddlers in self-defense!

Yeah, yeah, and I'm sure all his friends and neighbors would testify to that fact in a Capellan court of law (it's probably mandatory). Jeez, you probably think re-editing movie prints is a bad idea, too.

Though I have to say, you've got to be drat dedicated to murder to keep killing innocents off one at a time when your comrades (presumably the ones who just killed someone) just got shot in the loving face.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I'd explain myself, but why ruin the surprise?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ha, as always, I don't expect you to spoil it. I was just prefacing my remarks with the fact I'm basing it off incomplete information. =P

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Rifleman would need 10s and 12s at range 5. Gotta love regular pilots in 3025.

buuny, you should probably get to partial cover to hide the fact that your legs are looking a little skeletal just now.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Navajo Wolf is all that is :black101:.

That is all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maybe you'll get lucky and the 1st Regulan Hussars will hot-drop in and save the hostages. Out of all the FWLM Regiments, they are the one I respect.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

As if an immobile tank with a single operable machinegun would've kept the infantry fighting?
Technically that qualifies for the forced withdrawal optional rules twice over.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

buuny, you should probably get to partial cover to hide the fact that your legs are looking a little skeletal just now.

Screw that! It's a nearly dead Blackjack that needs to die this turn. I say advance to 1304 and alpha strike that motherfucker. If we kill him this turn, what condition we're in next turn doesn't matter.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Tempest_56 posted:

Screw that! It's a nearly dead Blackjack that needs to die this turn. I say advance to 1304 and alpha strike that motherfucker. If we kill him this turn, what condition we're in next turn doesn't matter.

Of course, since you'll be shutting down next to a building that almost certainly contains enemy infantry, if bunny loses a leg, you'll have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory....

You'll need a good deal of luck to kill it next turn anyway, since you're going to need 10s with the big stuff, and bunny needs, what, also 10s if he stands still OR runs to short?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is there no way to simply kill the infantry squad that's executing hostages?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

^ Not in one turn, and not without collapsing the building on top of the hostage's heads.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Of course, since you'll be shutting down next to a building that almost certainly contains enemy infantry, if bunny loses a leg, you'll have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory....

The only true victory is saving La Dama Muerta. :colbert:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

^ Not in one turn, and not without collapsing the building on top of the hostage's heads.

I agree. hole that Cappellan motherfucker.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

Is there no way to simply kill the infantry squad that's executing hostages?

Yes. You can shoot at them directly, building or no; but (a percentage of) the damage they should take has to be dealt to the building instead so you have to either overkill them or try to kill the building. You'd really need a flamer or machine gun for that sort of work, though, since infantry already take greatly reduced damage from other weapons.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes. You can shoot at them directly, building or no; but (a percentage of) the damage they should take has to be dealt to the building instead so you have to either overkill them or try to kill the building. You'd really need a flamer or machine gun for that sort of work, though, since infantry already take greatly reduced damage from other weapons.

Wouldn't that kill the hostages too?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Only if you were targeting them, or destroyed the building.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
La Dama Muerta is about to get it. Where's your Justice Foot now, Caballeros?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

/\/\/\/\/\ Looks like you better be ready to pay up, Hob! 50% chance the colonel's son lived, if half the hostages make it. Of course, if he didn't, I'll be paying you.../\/\/\/\/\

Wow, what a dramatic endgame! This has been a very, very characterful battle. Heroic sacrifice of Engine Joe, Justice Foot, Avenging Annie, poor Clueless's Hunchback, and the wolf blowing up the last operable mech like it ain't no thing.

Of course, there's still time for a victory-shattering upset (There's always time for that), and named hostages still to save, but it looks like the heroes may have pulled this one off.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

/\/\/\/\/\ Looks like you better be ready to pay up, Hob! 50% chance the colonel's son lived, if half the hostages make it. Of course, if he didn't, I'll be paying you.../\/\/\/\/\

Yes, but (and this is important) if the Lady of Death gets it, the Capellans can start offing the hostages wholesale. It looks like we'll be seeing at least two more rounds of this game, so one to kill the Lady and second to kill half of the remaining hostages...

It's still all hanging in the balance, and I'm enjoying every second of it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If I understand the situation correctly, (and the Goblin is indeed abandoned) then once the Blackjack is down the infantry should retreat.

Looking back at the previous posts, the Blackjack is down to 1 structure on his left arm, 2 armor on the right one, 10 armor on the center torso, and 7 armor on the head.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Interesting.

Were the 'Mech pilots also hostages, forced to fight the Caballeros under threat of harm to their families? That would be a rather nasty twist, what with the Caballeros unwittingly killing their own people to try and stop others from killing their own people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hob_Gadling posted:

Yes, but (and this is important) if the Lady of Death gets it, the Capellans can start offing the hostages wholesale. It looks like we'll be seeing at least two more rounds of this game, so one to kill the Lady and second to kill half of the remaining hostages...

It's still all hanging in the balance, and I'm enjoying every second of it.

She actually has been doing a pretty bad job of keeping hostages from being executed; I think that one was saved by her over 9 turns. Executing her won't cause the rest of them to be killed, but it will prevent a 1/6 chance of her stopping it.

Fully expecting PTN's die to actually fall off the floor and somehow become a negative when she's up.

Brandy Collins posted:

Interesting.

Were the 'Mech pilots also hostages, forced to fight the Caballeros under threat of harm to their families? That would be a rather nasty twist, what with the Caballeros unwittingly killing their own people to try and stop others from killing their own people.

My mustachio twirles in delight and anticipation!

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 17, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

I like to think that all her Distracting Tirades so far have just been reciting her full name at maximum volume, and she's only now gotten to the "Camacho y Camacho" part, so up against the wall she goes. All Texicans look alike to the Space Chinese, you see.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Volmarias posted:

She actually has been doing a pretty bad job of keeping hostages from being executed; I think that one was saved by her over 9 turns. Executing her won't cause the rest of them to be killed, but it will prevent a 1/6 chance of her stopping it.

In 12 rolls she came up with 3 saved hostages, 1 from the one 4+ roll, and 2 others from 6+ rolls, so 100% of her 4+ rolls succeeded, and 18% of her 6+ rolls succeeded. That's actually above average.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Without the dame our lovely death comandos can execute six at once. Only once though I think.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Nevets posted:

In 12 rolls she came up with 3 saved hostages, 1 from the one 4+ roll, and 2 others from 6+ rolls, so 100% of her 4+ rolls succeeded, and 18% of her 6+ rolls succeeded. That's actually above average.

Does mock and berate still work if she's the one on the chopping block? If so, what does she have to lose?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nevets posted:

Oh, huh. I thought she did worse than that, thanks for mentioning this.

Anyway, point is, if she gets killed then it's 1 hostage per round no matter what.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 17, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
One thing is for sure and that this has been a real knock down drag out brawl of a battle. Both sides are beat to hell.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Trast posted:

One thing is for sure and that this has been a real knock down drag out brawl of a battle. Both sides are beat to hell.

A real white-knuckle scenario, for sure. Without the lucky hit on the Cataphract and the Foot of Justice on the Warhammer this would likely result in Bad End, I'd say.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

LeschNyhan posted:

A real white-knuckle scenario, for sure. Without the lucky hit on the Cataphract and the Foot of Justice on the Warhammer this would likely result in Bad End, I'd say.

It's already looking like a pretty god drat bittersweet ending if the Dama Muerta bites it, after all the Caballeros have done to save her and the remaining hostages. This is kind of depressing.

Engine Joe's sacrifice turned out to be worth so little....

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Artificer posted:

It's already looking like a pretty god drat bittersweet ending if the Dama Muerta bites it, after all the Caballeros have done to save her and the remaining hostages. This is kind of depressing.

Here's hoping the loyal servants of our glorious Confederation can still pull this off!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Artificer posted:

Engine Joe's sacrifice turned out to be worth so little....

If even one child is snatched from foul Confederation hands, all the blood spilled shall be worthwhile.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

LeschNyhan posted:

The Death Commandos have had their share of lucky shots as well. This battle has been fierce.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

KnightLight posted:

The Death Commandos have had their share of lucky shots as well. This battle has been fierce.

Don't forget the Commando's MVP: Inferno Rounds.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm really enjoying how into character everyone seems to be getting. Screw tactics here at the end, lets rush them guns blazing.. Skinwalker's last attack was certainly something Begay would do.

Is anyone else surprised that the Blackjack is the last mech/vehicle still moving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I'm really enjoying how into character everyone seems to be getting. Screw tactics here at the end, lets rush them guns blazing.. Skinwalker's last attack was certainly something Begay would do.

Is anyone else surprised that the Blackjack is the last mech/vehicle still moving?

Not really. It lost most of it's weapons early on so it became a low priority target.

• Locked thread