Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Eggplant Wizard posted:

The comment colors reflect different editing sessions or users. It can be helpful to have them in different colors so you know who's saying what, especially if they contradict one another. I don't know if you can change the color of other peoples' comments. Here is the MS tip on it, though: a help page hooray

The document is full of comments by myself and my lab mate. Both authors of the comments always have different colors, but every time I close the document and open it again they change. For example, my comments could be blue and hers red on one day, and when I open it again they could be swapped. It's irritating as gently caress. At the very least I want my comments to always stay the same color.

The options listed on the help page don't seem to help. There is a "by author" setting, but no way to specify what color I want my comments.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

What? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. What on earth else are you going to use DVI for?
I don't know, that's just what the manual said! If I knew enough about video to make an informed decision I'd have never posted in the first place.

Everyone posted:

Useful poo poo
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to go with those cables Jeffrey Colon linked to.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sudoku posted:

I don't know, that's just what the manual said! If I knew enough about video to make an informed decision I'd have never posted in the first place.

Don't worry, I was commenting on the manual, not you :)

Dave1000
May 16, 2006
nothing

b0nes posted:

Is uranium "hot" does it release thermal waves? I am trying to understand radiation. When you get an Xray it isn't heat, its electromagnatism correct. What kind of radiation does uranium and whats in a nuclear reactor release? Why do they call it radiation burn? I understand how the water is heated up, the grouping of the uranium pellets together causes their atoms to rub and collide together and the heat generated turns water into steam correct?

The heat comes from the kinetic energy of the reaction products, and it happens within the fuel. So yes, nuclear fuel is hot on it's own.

In a uranium 235 decay there are 2 daughter atoms, neutrons and gamma rays (electromagnetic radiation) produced. The neutrons are what cause other uranium atoms to fission, and the gammas are a byproduct and only a small fraction of the energy released is gamma radiation. They are essentially the same as X-rays, I think the difference is mostly semantic, given that most people are uncomfortable with radiation of any kind.

The daughter products are also going to decay too, so after a while there will be all sorts of different things in the reactor, and in spent fuel. The one that's getting the most response in the media that I've heard is iodine 131, but cesium 137 is another one that would be potentially a problem.

Whatever gets released will either be something that produces alpha, beta or gamma radiation. I don't think alpha radiation is an issue here, it's what makes your smoke detector work, FYI, and an effective shield against alphas is the air around it. Beta particles are electrons or positrons, and they are generally effectively shielded by your skin, but can be a problem if they get into the body. Iodine 131 produces beta particles, and has a tendency to get into people and stick around, and is in somewhat high concentrations in used fuel. Gamma rays are able to penetrate tissue and cause damage in high quantities. They are also what's being measured when someone takes a reading of the radiation levels in say, Tokyo. Cesium 137, which is prevalent in used fuel, is a source of high energy gamma rays, and is something that you don't want to be around large amounts of. I think it was the cause of most of the danger in Chernobyl. In the wrong circumstances and concentrations, any type of radiation can be dangerous.

I don't know enough about burns to say anything informed. They are potentially deadly, but I don't know what makes it a burn. The cause is radiation though, not heat.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Is there a goon-recommended site to get a pack of free fonts? There's a zillion hits on Google and I don't want to load up on spyware.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

b0nes posted:

Is uranium "hot" does it release thermal waves? I am trying to understand radiation. When you get an Xray it isn't heat, its electromagnatism correct. What kind of radiation does uranium and whats in a nuclear reactor release? Why do they call it radiation burn? I understand how the water is heated up, the grouping of the uranium pellets together causes their atoms to rub and collide together and the heat generated turns water into steam correct?

Now that you got a smart answer, there are some (to me) cool facts tangentally related to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

And (From Wikipedia article about the Earth:)

Earth's internal heat comes from a combination of residual heat from planetary accretion (about 20%) and heat produced through radioactive decay (80%).[75] The major heat-producing isotopes in the Earth are potassium-40, uranium-238, uranium-235, and thorium-232.

And from an article about the heat history of the earth: (from a James Madison University professor's website)

THE HEAT HISTORY OF THE EARTH
The earth is a heat engine. It remains geologically and biologically active, and evolves, because there are two great sources of energy. One source of energy is from the earth's molten core (that drives the geology), and the second is from the sun (that drives life and the atmosphere.)
However, considering the fact that the solar system began as a cloud of gas and dust that was near absolute zero we might wonder where the earth's internal heat came from to drive the plate tectonics. The problem is more perplexing when we realize that virtually every other planetary body in the solar system (including some moons that are larger than some planets) is geologically dead (they have no internal heat of their own). Similarly, the earth is the only planetary body we know at present that is biologically alive too.
Thus, we wonder, must a planet be geologically alive to also be biologically alive? The short answer is, yes! But that is another story.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Dave1000 posted:

I don't know enough about burns to say anything informed. They are potentially deadly, but I don't know what makes it a burn. The cause is radiation though, not heat.

Burns are from alpha radiation, which is composed two protons and two neutrons bound together (essentially a Helium nucleus) which is freaking HUGE compared to beta or gamma radiation. Since it's so huge, it can only penetrate a few layers of skin, and that's what causes the burn. They're very strong ionizers, and will eff you up pretty badly if inhaled.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm not very well travelled. Are there many western cultures where it's not common to have 3 meals a day? I mean ones where they have either less or more as standard, so I don't count my friends who often skip breakfast - breakfast is still a common thing.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Anjow posted:

I'm not very well travelled. Are there many western cultures where it's not common to have 3 meals a day? I mean ones where they have either less or more as standard, so I don't count my friends who often skip breakfast - breakfast is still a common thing.

Not quite a cultural thing, but I've seen a movement in the last few years towards many smaller meals instead of three large ones a day. Nothing to do with culture though - that's a health/lifestyle thing. It's still the minority, though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Knightmare posted:

Is there a goon-recommended site to get a pack of free fonts? There's a zillion hits on Google and I don't want to load up on spyware.

DaFont is legit.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dave1000 posted:

the gammas are a byproduct and only a small fraction of the energy released is gamma radiation. They are essentially the same as X-rays, I think the difference is mostly semantic, given that most people are uncomfortable with radiation of any kind.

They are the same in that they are both forms of electromagnetic radiation, but they differ in frequency. X-rays are lower frequency than gamma rays, though both are much much higher frequency than the visible spectrum.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Knightmare posted:

As well as Dafont, there's http://www.fontspace.com/

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Its pretty apparent that China is ridden with censorship and strict rulings. Documentaries on televison show opressive regimes and soldiers watching people, or maybe someone being arrested here and there. These are usually small nameless towns or medium sized cities. However, I do not hear anything about censorship or authoritian rules when people talk about Hong Kong or Beijing, or very large and developed areas.

Is there something odd about these areas?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Avocadoes posted:

Its pretty apparent that China is riddled with censorship and strict rulings. Documentaries on televison show opressive regimes and soldiers watching people, or maybe someone being arrested here and there. These are usually small nameless towns or medium sized cities. However, I do not hear anything about censorship or authoritian rules when people talk about Hong Kong or Beijing, or very large and developed areas.

Is there something odd about these areas?

Different censorship tactics are applied. But even in Beijing, you better believe that people can't simply shout out on the street. During the height of the Falun Gong activity, there was very heavy military police and plainclothes presence in Beijing. You also missed out on that recent news report where a BBC reporter got clobbered by plainclothes without warning or provocation. Obviously documenting such things are harder to get away with in urban areas more heavily frequented by outsiders.

Hong Kong is different only in that it benefits from some cultural and political distance from the mainland. The government of the Hong Kong Special Autonomous Region has certain rights and powers stemming partly from its former British rule.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kimbo305 posted:

Hong Kong is different only in that it benefits from some cultural and political distance from the mainland. The government of the Hong Kong Special Autonomous Region has certain rights and powers stemming partly from its former British rule.

It was probably stupid, but when staying in a Hong Kong hotel I searched google for Tiananmen Square and the same stuff came up as would do in the UK. So they certainly aren't censoring that there.

I believe Macau may be the same?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Anjow posted:

It was probably stupid, but when staying in a Hong Kong hotel I searched google for Tiananmen Square and the same stuff came up as would do in the UK. So they certainly aren't censoring that there.

I believe Macau may be the same?

google.com.hk is the widely used way on the mainland to reach Google. It's a matter of poor internet censorship on the government's part that things are more consistently blocked.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Stupid FIrefox Question:

In FF 3, you apparently have the choice to either have the session aautomatically restore, or be warned before you quit.

I need both because I tend to hit CMD−Q (instead of cmd-W) accidentally more often than I like and I am usually halfway through editing a wiki entry which quitting without warning then loses completely.

FF used to always warn if I asked it to. Since the upgrade to FF3, and even though I have changed the keyboard shortcut, cmd Q still quits without warning.

Is there an extension that handles sessions (and auto resumes them) so that I can make Firefox warn me before quitting?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 17, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a userscript or Chrome extension that would automatically load the story source if a Gawker post was clicked on? In other words, I click on a Kotaku post in my reader with a blurb that says "From Maximum PC" or "Via Valve's Development Blog", with both of those being links to the source, and the extension automatically clicks those to load the source?

Not sure that made sense, or, if it did, if it is possible.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kapalama posted:

Stupid FIrefox Question:

In FF 3, you apparently have the choice to either have the session aautomatically restore, or be warned before you quit.

I need both because I tend to hit CMD−Q (instead of cmd-W) accidentally more often than I like and I am usually halfway through editing a wiki entry which quitting without warning then loses completely.

FF used to always warn if I asked it to. Since the upgrade to FF3, and even though I have changed the keyboard shortcut, cmd Q still quits without warning.

Is there an extension that handles sessions (and auto resumes them) so that I can make Firefox warn me before quitting?

Post this in the Firefox thread. Someone will probably give you a hand there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are there any limits to flat-rate boxes/envelopes from USPS? I'd always heard the "if it fits, it ships" mantra from the ads. A company gave me a big flat-rate envelope to ship back a small box. The box easily it into half the envelope, so that you could fold over the loose half on top of the used half. I brought it into the post office only because it pushed the 13 oz weight limit for dropoff mailboxes.

The clerk was fairly vague about why the package broke the rule, but said that I shouldn't have used the envelope. I didn't complain much because he only charged me 20 cents extra over a free shipment, but I don't see how my package was somehow exceptional. I can imagine way heavier or way bulkier uses of the envelope.

A link to any official USPS fine print would be good; personal experience would also be interesting.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Are there any limits to flat-rate boxes/envelopes from USPS? I'd always heard the "if it fits, it ships" mantra from the ads. A company gave me a big flat-rate envelope to ship back a small box. The box easily it into half the envelope, so that you could fold over the loose half on top of the used half. I brought it into the post office only because it pushed the 13 oz weight limit for dropoff mailboxes.

The clerk was fairly vague about why the package broke the rule, but said that I shouldn't have used the envelope. I didn't complain much because he only charged me 20 cents extra over a free shipment, but I don't see how my package was somehow exceptional. I can imagine way heavier or way bulkier uses of the envelope.

A link to any official USPS fine print would be good; personal experience would also be interesting.

USPS posted:

The envelope may not be modified in any way - either cut apart, two envelopes taped together, reshaped, etc. The adhesive strip closure across the top must close securely on its own. You may not use tape, staples, or any other method to secure the envelope closed. The contents must be entirely confined within the envelope.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thanks. This is all I could find:
Whatever fits in the box or envelope ships for one low rate—anywhere in the United States. There's virtually no weighing or calculating.
Contents must reasonably fit within the Priority Mail packaging, and weigh less than 70 pounds.

That last sentence is a great weaselly catchall. Iirc, the clerk's argument was that the box was way too thick for an envelope type package, so he could stand on the reasonable fit rule to defend his call.

AceO
Sep 23, 2010

Pierce, I can see you're really upset about this. I think you ought to sit down, take a stress pill, and think things over.
Anyone have that url that looks like a link to a specific fb profile (profile?id=abunchofnumbers) but redirects whoever clicks it to their own page?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Aphasian posted:

Is there a userscript or Chrome extension that would automatically load the story source if a Gawker post was clicked on? In other words, I click on a Kotaku post in my reader with a blurb that says "From Maximum PC" or "Via Valve's Development Blog", with both of those being links to the source, and the extension automatically clicks those to load the source?

Not sure that made sense, or, if it did, if it is possible.

That is probably possible but would probably be a bit complicated. It would have to load the Gawker/Kotaku/etc post first to find the article to go to, but you might be able to get something that does it out of the folks in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898 or http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2946571

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

fishmech posted:

That is probably possible but would probably be a bit complicated. It would have to load the Gawker/Kotaku/etc post first to find the article to go to, but you might be able to get something that does it out of the folks in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898 or http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2946571

Thanks, I had forgotten about the tiny app thread. I'll post back here if anything comes of it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there some way to sort all of your favorites on stumbleupon by most views or something other than the default "reverse order they were added"? I know you can sort by individual category, but I don't know how to do anything else.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
What are some words that are the opposite of snob? Specifically, I'm looking for words that mean "won't try fancy things," not neutral words like "humble" or "down to Earth."

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
The other day, very briefly, I saw part of a program where someone was wearing a Che Guevara shirt, but instead of his face, it was Paris Hilton's. I've tried Googling it to find it, "paris hilton che guevara" "paris hilton as che guevara" "paris hilton che guevara shirt" etc etc. Nothing.
Where on earth can I find the shirt?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What are some words that are the opposite of snob? Specifically, I'm looking for words that mean "won't try fancy things," not neutral words like "humble" or "down to Earth."

Maybe provincial?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Anjow posted:

I worked in Germany as a volunteer for a couple of weeks when the Koln city archives collapsed in 2009. While my time there was short, the meals I had were shared with all of the workers there, the vast majority German, and appeared to be common and expected. We ate 5 times a day.

We had a light breakfast of bread/liverwurst/pastry/eggs (your choice, not like a served plate) before work.

About an 1.5 hours into work we stopped and went to a cafeteria for only what I could call second breakfast. It had yogurt, granola, raw meats, and some other things. Fairly small overall.

At noon we stopped to go back to the cafeteria and had lunch. This was a fairly big meal.

An hour and a half after lunch we had "coffee," again at the cafeteria. This was similar to 2nd breakfast only everyone also made sure to drink coffee.

And then around 7pm we had dinner, which was a fairly big meal but smaller than lunch.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

philistine, simpleton, luddite

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Post this in the Firefox thread. Someone will probably give you a hand there.

Helpful link there, thanks!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

binowru listed some good ones, but it is important to note that any word that expresses both the apparent attitude of the person described and your attitude toward not just that person but to a person who holds such an sttitude will be necessarily difficult to nail exactly, precisely because you are commenting on two separate things that the listener has to agree with in order for the label to fit in the listener's mind.

For instance, in your example "humble" and "down to the earth" are hardly neutral words, they describe a person, and the speaker's positive attitude towards such a person. "Snob" works the same.

"Won't try fancy things" is a simple description.

(Learning Japanese has made me much more aware of these distinctions, where almost every sentence includes 2 separate streams of information: the facts, and the speaker's attitude towards these facts.)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Philistine and Luddite are different and either could work depending on your meaning by fancy things.
A luddite would be more against technology.
A philistine would be more against high concept art. Philistines probably hate hipsters.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

Forgive me for this question, but I couldn't find a general dating megathread.

Is there a 'rule of conduct' on asking out a cashier? Is it ok to just flat-out ask her out for a cup of coffee or should I leave her a note? I think I could easily ask her out without coming over as creepy.

Btw, I am a regular customer. While we chat very briefly when I'm there, I have no reason to believe she is into me, but I would love to chat with her for >30 sec over a warm beverage.

Thanks goons.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

silversiren posted:

The other day, very briefly, I saw part of a program where someone was wearing a Che Guevara shirt, but instead of his face, it was Paris Hilton's. I've tried Googling it to find it, "paris hilton che guevara" "paris hilton as che guevara" "paris hilton che guevara shirt" etc etc. Nothing.
Where on earth can I find the shirt?

I Googled "che hilton" and turned this up. It's got the original artist's name there, so that should be useful at least.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

Forgive me for this question, but I couldn't find a general dating megathread.

Is there a 'rule of conduct' on asking out a cashier? Is it ok to just flat-out ask her out for a cup of coffee or should I leave her a note? I think I could easily ask her out without coming over as creepy.

Btw, I am a regular customer. While we chat very briefly when I'm there, I have no reason to believe she is into me, but I would love to chat with her for >30 sec over a warm beverage.

Thanks goons.

This comes up on pretty much a weekly basis in E/N Bullshit. If you want all the ins and outs, go dig up one of those threads. Bottom line, just ask her out (with your facehole, not a note) and if she says yes, settle the details, but if she says anything other than yes, drop it.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

An ascetic. Someone living a more ascetic lifestyle.

(Plain?)

(Prude?)

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 18, 2011

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

kapalama posted:

:words:

I'm not looking for a word that describes my attitude towards this person. I'm looking for a word to describe a person who won't try things they consider snobby (or fancy or not-simple-enough or whatever). You even admitted "won't try fancy things" is a simple description.

I'm looking for one word that could replace those four (one that's a bit more specific and less holier-than-thou/smarmy than philistine or luddite (no offense Binowru, thanks for the suggestions)).

I meant "neutral" as in "somewhere between the word I'm looking for and snob," not neutral as in "has neither a positive or negative connotation". Sorry I was unclear. Those were the first two antonyms I found.

Congrats on the Japanese, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belligerent Monk
Jul 29, 2006
I got a registration fix it ticket a while back, in Long Beach CA, and failed to appear on 2/27. I just got a letter dated March 15, saying that I owe $685 and it will increase to $985 if I don't pay within 10 days. I know I'm an idiot for not taking care of it right away, but is it possible to reduce this somehow? Thanks.