Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Ropekid, please tell me this is actually a Flight of the Conchords reference.

Edit: If it was, Germaine should have been Jemaine and he probably would have scribbled over Bret's name. Actually, I'm sure it was just coincidence now that I think about it.

I saw that, got excited, screencapped, then quit playing so I could post this. I could have cleared out the remainder of the Vault :(

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Did someone say rideable brahmin?

Also, the Gamebryo developers went bankrupt.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 17, 2011

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
To reply to my own post earlier, yes, that armor was overpowered, but not really regarding to the stealth field (The stealth effect is the same with FO3 Operation Anchorage Chinese Suit, the chinese stealth suits in New Vegas don't have any stealth fields, I don't know if it has been removed on purpose or if it was an oversight or explained storywise) It had too little weight, lazy "scrap metal" repair lists (I hate when they do that) offered too much protection for a light armor, and had too many SPECIAL and a +30 lbs carryweight bonus on one of it's decorative items, also it was too expensive and way too resilent. I fixed it up to be a marginal improvment over the New Vegas vanilla stealth suit, made new repair lists, adjusted all its values and removed all non-stealth suit bonuses, especially those on the decorative pieces. If anyone is interested I can probably throw up the .esp on some download service. I take no responsibility else tho.

EDIT: I guess it's because Fallout 3+NV is the only good and easily moddable open-world RPG in a somewhat modern setting, also the stealth suit is pretty much canon. I agree that all that ultraclean Soldier-camo tactical gear kind of sucks and sticks out in the game like a sore thumb. it's a very thin line where it's cool and where it starts to suck. I guess that line is someplace else for everybody.
\/\/\/\/

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 17, 2011

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think hi-tech magic science stealth suits and shiny black ops gear etc are lame as heck personally, I dont know why people are so obsessed with stuff that is so far off what the original game is like. I wanna see rusty piece of poo poo weapons, armor made of anything you can find and cool cowboy hats.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Pwnstar posted:

I think hi-tech magic science stealth suits and shiny black ops gear etc are lame as heck personally, I dont know why people are so obsessed with stuff that is so far off what the original game is like. I wanna see rusty piece of poo poo weapons, armor made of anything you can find and cool cowboy hats.

The beauty of the modding scene is that you can do just that and ignore the stuff you don't like. I like having modern weapons in my game instead of crappy rusty clones that I would never fire or clunky impractically designed ones that would probably never work since it was designed by an artist not by a gunsmith. That being said, I'm almost not much of a fan of the tactical vests and all that other current era armor so I guess I'm an odd one in that particular point of view.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The guy who does Desert Scorpion is pretty good at walking the line between "post-apocalyptic hellhole" and "tactical". Most of his stuff is wasteland-style stuff that's just modified to be more combat-useful. There's like one pack that's just silly poo poo.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The original stealth suit was way overpowerd anyways. Doing Anchorage at the start of a Fo3 playhthrough meant you had free permanent-invisibility forever pretty much. I forget how much stealth it added, but I remember the game going from intense shoot-outs to sneaking around one shotting everything.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

On the topic of bikes/horses: Rideable motorcycle.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40645

I am going to give it a go and write up a review now at tell you guys how it feels.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Naky posted:

The beauty of the modding scene is that you can do just that and ignore the stuff you don't like. I like having modern weapons in my game
this apparently includes flat-textured plastic bb gun replica mac11s :iceburn:

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The rideable motorcycle has already been reviewed in the last page or so. I tried it myself and I can honestly say that it has its flaws, not the least of which being that the NV engine isn't configured to load and dump objects out of memory that quickly and anything that results in a higher player speed is going to cause crashes. It is totally functional and everything and from a driving perspective works as intended, but the sound of the motorcycle is HORRENDOUS, it's literally the same 2 second clip over and over ad nauseum. I played around with it for 2 minutes, was like "huh, cool", and then disabled it just as quickly.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
Motorcycles in the future were fusion powered anyways. Why would they make that noise? They'd have to make the sound artificially. Which is why the sound clip repeats every two seconds because IMMERSION!

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this apparently includes flat-textured plastic bb gun replica mac11s :iceburn:

Not like I use it. The only other alternative is completely unanimatable.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
To be fair, the stealth field on the stealth suit isn't a perfect one, it just makes you "15% invisible" as opposed to the "100% invisible" the stealth boy does. How this is supposed to work I'm not sure either, but if I recall correctly enemies had still quite a chance to see you in FO3 with wearing it, it was hard to survive with only it in the Supermutant infested DC Area, as soon as they spotted you it was game over. (Well at least with FWE, I don't know how it was vanilla, never bothered with Anchorage on a vanilla install) From the same standpoint you can say that power armor is overpowered because it makes you almost unkillable. (and oh boy was this true in Fallout 1+2 you could murder the world and most people couldn't even hurt you, it was still kinda true in 3, no Idea how it is in NV, didn't have one yet)

Sneaking and everything stealth related is hosed in this engine anyways. Yesterday I picked off a camp (with my trusty nazi gun, the Gewehr 43) of seven Fiends without stealth gear and a stealth skill of about 30. They never noticed what was happening and none of them fired a single shot. I'm not sure anymore if it actually was that way under every circumstance, but in FO3 (at least in oblivion) the enemies just came running for you if you gave off one shot, no matter if you where sneaking or not. This wasn't perfect but it was better than what I saw yesterday, enemies running around in circles like chickens to their fallen comrades, no idea what was happening. It felt like I was out of their AI range or something, which was odd because I was even in VATS range. I'd rather have them come for me, so they at least have some chance, this was just too little effort.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 17, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Naky posted:

edit:

There any models with a proper 20 round magazine? That looks like a shrunken 30 rounder jammed in at an odd angle :shobon:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Capn Beeb posted:

There any models with a proper 20 round magazine? That looks like a shrunken 30 rounder jammed in at an odd angle :shobon:

All I have is a standard ar15 magazine mesh. I can use other meshes but it may not look right. The angle, however, is no different from the rest of the family of rifles.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Police Automaton posted:

To be fair, the stealth field on the stealth suit isn't a perfect one, it just makes you "15% invisible" as opposed to the "100% invisible" the stealth boy does. How this is supposed to work I'm not sure either, but if I recall correctly enemies had still quite a chance to see you in FO3 with wearing it, it was hard to survive with only it in the Supermutant infested DC Area, as soon as they spotted you it was game over. (Well at least with FWE, I don't know how it was vanilla, never bothered with Anchorage on a vanilla install) From the same standpoint you can say that power armor is overpowered because it makes you almost unkillable. (and oh boy was this true in Fallout 1+2 you could murder the world and most people couldn't even hurt you, it was still kinda true in 3, no Idea how it is in NV, didn't have one yet)

Sneaking and everything stealth related is hosed in this engine anyways. Yesterday I picked off a camp (with my trusty nazi gun, the Gewehr 43) of seven Fiends without stealth gear and a stealth skill of about 30. They never noticed what was happening and none of them fired a single shot. I'm not sure anymore if it actually was that way, but in FO3 the enemies just came running for you if you gave off one shot, no matter if you where sneaking or not. This wasn't perfect but it was better than what I saw yesterday, enemies running around in circles like chickens to their fallen comrades, no idea what was happening. It felt like I was out of their AI range or something, which was odd because I was even in VATS range. I'd rather have them come for me, so they at least have some chance, this was just too little effort.
In Fallout 3, 5% stealth field effectively halved the range of detection of high PER enemies. In NV the same effect doesn't seem to be as noticeable since everyone has a much higher detection range and angle (for the most part).

With regards to "shooting and nobody noticing", Fiends have a comically low PER by default (3) especially in comparison to the average Fallout 3 raider (5), sniping other factions is a lot harder because of it. Fiends also have sandboxing enabled, which makes them more or less single minded in comparison to "autohostiles" that comprise 95% of Fallout 3 NPCs. FWE happens to raise the detection range and player noise to ridiculous levels, so you experience more alert enemies in F3 because of it. (In vanilla, any silenced kill didn't alert at all.)

Also my games PC is down until I can find a cooler CPU and a better cooling solution :negative:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 17, 2011

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Stop overclocking so much. :colbert:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

In Fallout 3, 5% stealth field effectively halved the range of detection of high PER enemies. In NV the same effect doesn't seem to be as noticeable since everyone has a much higher detection range and angle (for the most part).

With regards to "shooting and nobody noticing", Fiends have a comically low PER by default (3) especially in comparison to the average Fallout 3 raider (5), sniping other factions is a lot harder because of it. Fiends also have sandboxing enabled, which makes them more or less single minded in comparison to "autohostiles" that comprise 95% of Fallout 3 NPCs. FWE happens to raise the detection range and player noise to ridiculous levels, so you experience more alert enemies in F3 because of it. (In vanilla, any silenced kill didn't alert at all.)

Ah that makes sense, thanks. I've started to think that it has something to do with the Fiends alone, because other enemies aren't this blind. I'll see how it works out with the stealth suit when I get to it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Police Automaton posted:

Ah that makes sense, thanks. I've started to think that it has something to do with the Fiends alone, because other enemies aren't this blind. I'll see how it works out with the stealth suit when I get to it.

If anything, try the suit out with a module like XFO's stealth overhaul, which reworks detection variables. Maybe the two will balance each other out. A little off subject, but my only problem with stealth overhauls is the end product, which is still relatively realistic:

You enter an interior cell. Immediately you encounter an enemy and blast him. The heightened awareness of enemies means that everybody in the building hears you and beelines for the front door. A significant firefight ensues as the remaining group shows up. You kill everybody in the interior cell and roam the remainder, unchallenged.

Unrealistically, it would be cool to have this happen, but still have the occasional "smarter" (or more cowardly / cautious) opponent lurking in a room, waiting for you. It would help alleviate the "dinner bell" scenario I just described.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 18, 2011

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I tested out the stealth suit already, after applying my nerfs to it. I didn't use XFO's sneaking overhaul because after all he(?) wrote about it it seemed to make sneaking easier and seemed to be in a still very experimental phase.

I'm playing a good character but for the sake of the test, I tried to kill the NCR in camp forlorn hope, without companions. I managed to squeeze a few kills off with my sniper rifle (something out of the armory, again great mod) before they knew wtf, but the NCR troops where able to pretty quickly find and dispatch me. I could make them lose my tail if I removed myself from the location I was in when I fired quick enough though. I don't know if that's caused by the stealth field or by sneaking or would happen if I'd just run away quick enough. If I went close enough to them while they where still in "search and destroy" mode, they could still spot me cloaked. (this was with a base sneak skill of about 30+15 from the armor + 15% stealth field) The whole thing actually felt very natural and not at all overpowered. In fact I'm wondering if the stealth field even works at anything below 100%. I'm using XFOs AI revamp and the more realistic damage thingie somebody posted earlier (everything but heavy armored people don't survive more than two hits to the head) though, so that might factor in too. For the books I'm still lvl 17 and tried to kill everyone in the camp about 4 times, I didn't manage, even if I inflicted some casualities.

Not only New Vegas has this problem like in the scenario you're describing, every shooter suffers to some degree from it. Player stands around a room, enemy comes in, player shoots enemy, other enemies hear it, come looking, player shoots other enemies, until at some point, you've a bunch of corpses stewn around a doorway and the entire level/area wiped clean of enemies. FO3/NV amplifies this problem by having VATS which makes it easy to make the first shot fired being deadly. I'm working on a game in my downtime (lately not much, because I'm a lazy, lazy man with an addiction to fallout) but I thought in fact often about this problem. I think the simple solution that would work the best would be for the AI to avoid areas with too many corpses of its buddies. Like "In a certain radius around a doorway there are 4 corpses of my buddies, just let me stand in front of that radius in the other room and wait for it", forcing the player to charge into the room and not camp it out. Can't imagine this to be horribly hard to implement when you're programming a game, even though it's probably impossible to mod in in New Vegas. drat that post got longer than I wanted it to.

tl;dr Stealth Suit feels fine balancewise.

EDIT: What would be cool to add to the stealth suit would be making the cloaking just work for a certain time until it needs to recharge and deactivates, like stealth mode worked in Crysis. It's probably easy to script but I don't know if it's worth it.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 18, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I ported the Crysis suit and with it comes a maximum armor, strength, stealth, etc script and I believe all are tied in to your AP IIRC. I don't see why something similar couldn't be applied to the stealth suit.

Also, I'm playing around with adding foregrips to several of the existing weapons to The Armory. We're also converting many of the sniper rifles to automatics (but not making them automatics) so we could raise their firing rates. I found one more gun I wanted to port and we have a few fixes to do. Anime Schoolgirl said he wanted to make all assault rifles more accurate at the cost of critical rates and some other balancing things so the next update could be small, but still a significant upgrade.

Would anyone be interested in a GECK tutorial on how to make your own Starter Pack using The Armory weapons, using one of the existing ones as a base?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Naky posted:

Would anyone be interested in a GECK tutorial on how to make your own Starter Pack using The Armory weapons, using one of the existing ones as a base?
Those starter packs are fun to make and it could be a good introduction to scripting sort of tutorial as well, I say do it.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unrealistically, it would be cool to have this happen, but still have the occasional "smarter" (or more cowardly / cautious) opponent lurking in a room, waiting for you. It would help alleviate the "dinner bell" scenario I just described.

There is literally nothing I enjoy more than hiding in a suitable crawlspace, container or blind corner, attracting the enemy's attention, and then cracking them over the head as they come to investigate. Doesn't matter what game it is, and it always scares the hell out of me whenever one of those 'hand-placed' enemies pops up behind you, like they were just waiting to do the same thing. I got that really creepy feeling after clearing out the roadside Police Station with NV Bounties, and was busily looting the prisoners corpse, and that metal-armoured bastard whispers in my ear... 'Who the gently caress are you' and cleaves my head open before I can draw a weapon. Disabling VATS ftw!

Oh and all this talk of Raider stats is awesome. That's something that Bethesda really could use to their advantage in future. If they're going to have a numerical system for skills, then it makes sense for all the NPCs to have an equal set, and for their relative stats to have effects on their behaviour more than just HP/damage/weapon skill and such.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I looked at the scripts of the coyote reflex armor, but I kind of didn't like how it added some things like hotkeys directly to reference objects, which could go really haywire if some objects would be added more than once to the world, so I scripted my own version of the toggleable stealth field for the armor, which uses a proper hidden quest to hold it's values. In it's current incarnation the field is toggleable by F12, only works if both helmet and armor are equipped and turns instantly off if one of them is removed. It has a slowly regenerating pool of energy which discharges itself depending on how fast the player moves or if he's shooting or jumping, just as the crysis armor. It also doesn't work in water (The command doesn't work). I also added a -1 CHR stat to the helmet, because it really doesn't look friendly. At the moment I'm adding an effect, "Headache" which will temporarily lower INT and PER when the Armor gets used too much, (and probably prohibit stealth usage until it's gone) maybe I'll even add some HUD gauge for how much energy is left in the armors reservoir, it's really interesting to learn scripting this way, the only difficulty in scripting for this engine seems to be to workaround it's limitations, haha.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 18, 2011

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Police Automaton posted:

I looked at the scripts of the coyote reflex armor, but I kind of didn't like how it added some things like hotkeys directly to reference objects, which could go really haywire if some objects would be added more than once to the world, so I scripted my own version of the toggleable stealth field for the armor, which uses a proper hidden quest to hold it's values. In it's current incarnation the field is toggleable by F12, only works if both helmet and armor are equipped and turns instantly off if one of them is removed. It has a slowly regenerating pool of energy which discharges itself depending on how fast the player moves or if he's shooting or jumping, just as the crysis armor. It also doesn't work in water (The command doesn't work). I also added a -1 CHR stat to the helmet, because it really doesn't look friendly. At the moment I'm adding an effect, "Headache" which will temporarily lower INT and PER when the Armor gets used too much, (and probably prohibit stealth usage until it's gone) maybe I'll even add some HUD gauge for how much energy is left in the armors reservoir, it's really interesting to learn scripting this way, the only difficulty in scripting for this engine seems to be to workaround it's limitations, haha.

Hey, that all sounds pretty good! The Reflex armor helped me learn how to script, but it's definately not optimized, so feel free to make it better because lord knows I don't know how to, haha.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I delved a bit deeper and can't stop being :psyduck: about what I'm seeing about the engine, or at least about the scripting. There's so much potential for bugs alone because of how things are set up and a lot of stuff just lacks consistency and screams for being implemented wrong. Also extra no-effort points for not even renaming functions that where there since oblivion (I know it isn't important if something is called a magic effect or whatever, but it somehow just screams :effort:, it kind of made me a bit of dissapointed about this awesome game, especially because it feels like there went so much thought into the story) I also loved how they went ahead and implemented functions to call for in scripts they probably just needed once in game for a quest, the whole thing just lacks common ground and consistency and the language is horrible, I even think I've seen GoTos. :gonk:

Sorry if you made the Coyote armor, I didn't want to rip into you for it or anything, but often it's only little things that can improve performance of scripts a lot. Take GameMode, something that gets executed every frame, if you do a lot of real time dependant stuff in GameMode, like keyboard input, it might be smart having the function only execute it's main body of code every 0.25 seconds for example, not every frame. It doesn't sound like a huge difference if something gets executed every frame or every quartersecond, but in a real situation it might be a huge difference for the computer to do something 60 times a second to do something 4 times a second, (In programming terms, a second can be an eternity and make a hell of a difference performancewise) or liberal use of returns if you're sure you're done in one loop if certain conditions are met. Avoiding superfluous Ifs. Stuff like this. I hope for Skyrim they'll use something more real and substantial like C# or Lua or whatever (They're all the same anyways) not this "Visual Basic gone wrong".

At the moment I'm trying to implent having the stealth suit working on companions, and it being disabled when the wearer gets hit. I'll probably upload the finished .esp at least here in the thread so it doesn't feel like I've completly wasted my time, I don't think I'll have energy for much more though and I can't really put it as an improvement on the Nexus because the author of the orginal reinforced stealth armor would probably throw a hissyfit, knowing the community there. (If you're the author and reading this and don't think that would be your reaction, then I'm sorry, but you sure can see where I'm coming from)

Edit: made some clarifications

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 19, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Who cares about hissyfits, nothing any of us do for this game is ours anyway and your intentions are good. Throw it up anyway.

Working on some more things for The Armory. We have some new foregrip variants of current weapons in and it makes guns feel and look far more powerful when firing. I've also gone back to trying to make the Vector TDI to work, but the best I can get has some fairly large clipping issues. If this wouldn't bother people, I can release it anyway. Also porting an ACR, and a DSR-1 I think.

Oh, and I'm making some new compensator mods to use with various weapons.

That's a preview of the first version I made for revolvers.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Police Automaton posted:

I delved a bit deeper and can't stop being :psyduck: about what I'm seeing about the engine, or at least about the scripting. There's so much potential for bugs alone because of how things are set up and a lot of stuff just lacks consistency and screams for being implemented wrong. Also extra no-effort points for not even renaming functions that where there since oblivion (I know it isn't important if something is called a magic effect or whatever, but it somehow just screams :effort:, it kind of made me a bit of dissapointed about this awesome game, especially because it feels like there went so much thought into the story) I also loved how they went ahead and implemented functions to call for in scripts they probably just needed once in game for a quest, the whole thing just lacks common ground and consistency and the language is horrible, I even think I've seen GoTos. :gonk:

Sorry if you made the Coyote armor, I didn't want to rip into you for it or anything, but often it's only little things that can improve performance of scripts a lot. Take GameMode, something that gets executed every frame, if you do a lot of real time dependant stuff in GameMode, like keyboard input, it might be smart having the function only execute it's main body of code every 0.25 seconds for example, not every frame. It doesn't sound like a huge difference if something gets executed every frame or every quartersecond, but in a real situation it might be a huge difference for the computer to do something 60 times a second to do something 4 times a second, (In programming terms, a second can be an eternity and make a hell of a difference performancewise) or liberal use of returns if you're sure you're done in one loop if certain conditions are met. Avoiding superfluous Ifs. Stuff like this. I hope for Skyrim they'll use something more real and substantial like C# or Lua or whatever (They're all the same anyways) not this "Visual Basic gone wrong".

At the moment I'm trying to implent having the stealth suit working on companions, and it being disabled when the wearer gets hit. I'll probably upload the finished .esp at least here in the thread so it doesn't feel like I've completly wasted my time, I don't think I'll have energy for much more though and I can't really put it as an improvement on the Nexus because the author of the orginal reinforced stealth armor would probably throw a hissyfit, knowing the community there. (If you're the author and reading this and don't think that would be your reaction, then I'm sorry, but you sure can see where I'm coming from)

Edit: made some clarifications

Hell no, I appreciate anything that could improve it. I know little about coding and really anything that better qualified people can do to help is appreciated. Feel free to upload anything based on the Coyote armor, man.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

dog kisser posted:

Hell no, I appreciate anything that could improve it. I know little about coding and really anything that better qualified people can do to help is appreciated. Feel free to upload anything based on the Coyote armor, man.

This is the attitude I like to see regarding mods, including my own. If you think you can do a bit better and contribute to it, all the better man. You aren't stepping on my toes at all so go ahead and release it. If you have suggestions and I happen to agree with them, I might even do it myself.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I fully agree. I can understand when people make software from scratch and don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry just take parts of their code, or lazily fork their project, I don't think software should always be open source, especially if some indie developers life depends on it, but mods? Come on, that wasn't even your work to begin with. I can't understand how horribly offended some people get when you just touch their stuff sometimes, who cares? I have no problem to give credit where credit it's due, but some modded armor for example isn't some holy cow that never should be changed. I wonder if there ever where lawsuit threats over stuff like this.

I'm not sure I'll come around to change anything about the coyote armor, as I said I'm horribly lazy and it seems to work the way it does, but if I do I'll upload it too. If I'll ever start a project of my own I think it'll be a proper, new Protectron companion... maybe me and Fisto can be finally together then.

EDIT: I moved some stuff off to object scripts in preperation to make the armor useable for npcs, I ran into quite a few bugs and assorted strangeness of the engine. Something what's really ticking me off is that the game just seems to dispose of some variables attached to objects at completly random intervals if they didn't get values assigned to, I need to look into this, it doesn't happen with quest variables. I can't imagine what's causing it. I have some variables I basically use as booleans, they get set true by some blocks and then get never assigned to again, still after a while they just randomly reset to 0, even if they get queried regularily by thight if loops, :wtc:

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 19, 2011

Fox_Spy
Mar 19, 2006
Lifeguard of the Apocalypse
In the Underground hideout, I've got a large red diamond by the snowglobe rack. I've also got a large red diamond in the red diamond in the bedroom opposite the door, to the left of the secret area in the bedroom. I had one to the right of the bed as well, but by juggling my load order, I managed to fix that, mainly making the dead money optional bit for Underground Hideout load first. Here is my load order.

FalloutNV.esm
TribalPack.esm
DeadMoney.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
More Perks.esm
More Traits.esm
Community Bugfix Compilation Patch.esm
AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
UHNV-Dead Money.esp
UHNV.esp
Fellout.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
LFox Missing Ammo Recipes.esp
sicknasty.esp
Purge Cell Buffers.esp
CASM.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
Lucky 38 Suite Expansion.esp
More Perks Update.esp
More Traits Update.esp
PerkEveryLevel.esp
Casino Anti Anti Cheat.esp
10mmPistol-SigSauer_Replacement_NewSounds_v1.0.esp
CaravanLooting.esp
better that gun 44mag.esp
that gun holdout.esp
Sorter - Combined.esp

Total active plugins: 31
Total plugins: 31

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't believe it took me all this time to realize that That Gun from this game is the same one from Blade Runner :catstare:

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't believe it took me all this time to realize that That Gun from this game is the same one from Blade Runner :catstare:

[nma]Ugh, it is CLEARLY the .223 pistol from the FIRST TWO GAMES. Which was based off of the blade runner pistol but THERE'S A DIFFERENCE. Clearly you aren't a true fan. :argh:[/nma]

I loved that gun in the first two game. A shame it doesn't hold up for long in FONV. Coolness factor can only offset the damage for a little while.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

UnoriginalMind posted:

[nma]Ugh, it is CLEARLY the .223 pistol from the FIRST TWO GAMES. Which was based off of the blade runner pistol but THERE'S A DIFFERENCE. Clearly you aren't a true fan. :argh:[/nma]

I loved that gun in the first two game. A shame it doesn't hold up for long in FONV. Coolness factor can only offset the damage for a little while.

New Vegas is the only fallout I could stomach.

Well up until the game railroads you into a choice of who to support. That's where I stopped playing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

New Vegas is the only fallout I could stomach.

Well up until the game railroads you into a choice of who to support. That's where I stopped playing.

Thanks for sharing.

Anyone know when the next "modules" for Project Nevada will be coming out? I'm curious to see their rebalance and equipment takes.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Lots of work done today - I completely re-did the Desert Eagles as well as added a new one today, so for fans of that particular gun you have a nice surprise coming in the next update. I also did a ton of work on the new high-end leveled lists assault rifle variants and pretty much finished porting the ACR over as well, which features three separate variants also aiming for leveled list integration. I cleaned up a couple of other meshes as well.

On another note though, the PKM from Nexus is a shitpile of things wrong. I finally decided to take a look at it today and it suffers from an amazing number of defects at the mesh level from inverted faces, to polygon overlaps that would require a rebuilding of mesh and re-UV mapping to fix. :argh: Nexus modders! Oh, and it's set up to animate as a sniper rifle...

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

UnoriginalMind posted:

I nearly posted pretty much this, then I realized how pedantic it sounded.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I downloaded the More Perks mod, and immediately picked a perk at level 28 that lets my weapons basically auto-repair themselves using my AP.

It's kind of game breakingly good, and I think I'll need to restore an older save to make sure I don't pick it again, as it is probably too good.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

jeeves posted:

I downloaded the More Perks mod, and immediately picked a perk at level 28 that lets my weapons basically auto-repair themselves using my AP.

It's kind of game breakingly good, and I think I'll need to restore an older save to make sure I don't pick it again, as it is probably too good.

You're level 28, you're already game breakingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I continue to have problems with variables attached to objects. Seemingly when you put on armor, all variables attached to it get reset, probably because the original object itself gets deleted, and a new object gets created which still runs the same script though. I needed a while to figure this out. This sucks in many, many, many ways. What the hell where they thinking? I also bet (without knowing, but I don't think I need to) that references change a lot between saving/loading/cell change and are NOT a reliable way to store anything. my feeling of :psyduck: gets worse by the minute.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 20, 2011