Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Since college is so heavily financed with federally-funded loans these days, there should really be a law requiring disclosure of career prospects in the form of stats on previous classes. A "nutrition facts" for university, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Enigma89 posted:

But but but but... their international law program is ranked #5 in the country? :negative:

Hey, it got SWATJester a job as a diplomat!

Actually, his time in the Army probably counted more than the JD. . . .

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

gvibes posted:

There are other little bullshit things people can do in the IP or "internet" area, but they are generally side shows, time-wise (unless I am missing something).

So far I've done a lot of trade secrets work. I wouldn't call it bullshit. The technologies at issue are almost by definition cutting edge stuff if you're working for a tech company. Patent tech is old news in comparison by the time it gets to litigation.

Trade secret work is much more like general litigation, with a generous helping of employment law. But it's still IP and understanding technologies, how they are distinct and secret, and why they are valuable has some cognitive similarities to patent work.

The damages side of trade secrets and patents has a lot in common too -- reasonable royalty is an analysis in both.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vander posted:

For Reals law question time!

Does an S Corp that has never been a C Corp need to worry about the Accumulated Adjustments Account?

Generally, no, because AAAs are only required if the S Corp has accumulated earnings and profits, which are C Corp concepts that don't come into play if the S Corp was never a C Corp, but:

quote:

If an S corporation has no accumulated E&P, it technically is not required to maintain an accumulated adjustments account (AAA) since the taxability of distribution is determined solely by reference to stock basis.

However, for presentation purposes, the Form 1120S requires all S corporations, with or without accumulated E&P, to track their S corporation earnings through an AAA. (n. 866) In addition, the preamble to the regulations (n. 867) under §1368 advises that an S corporation without accumulated E&P should consider tracking AAA in the event that the S corporation inherits E&P from a C corporation in a transaction to which §381(a) applies (i.e., a reorganization under §368 or liquidation under §332).

For example, in PLR 9046036, an S corporation without subchapter C [accumulated] E&P was merged into another S corporation with subchapter C [accumulated] E&P. The target S corporation had accumulated losses from its inception. The IRS treated the target as having maintained an AAA, which was negative at the time of the merger.

As a result, the successor corporation was forced to combine its positive AAA with the target's negative AAA under §381(c)(2). This meant that the surviving corporation's ability to make tax free distributions was diminished by the target's deficit AAA balance. Unfortunately, the regulations do not provide for a “hovering deficit” rule upon the combination of positive and negative AAA accounts like they do for positive and negative E&P balances. (n. 868)

Footnotes: posted:

866 Instructions for Form 1120S, Schedules L and M.
867 T.D. 8869, 65 Fed. Reg. 3843 (1/25/00).
868 Contrast Regs. §1.1368-2(d)(2) which simply adds the AAA of the acquiring and distributing S corporation with Regs. §1.381(c)(2)-1(a)(5) which prevents an immediate combination of E&P balances when one is positive and the other is negative. Of course, this rule makes sure that any current positive accumulated E&P is taxed as a dividend as soon as distributions are made. A similar rule would have had just the opposite effect (current tax free distributions) and therefore was not adopted under the §1368 regulations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

doing the Lord's work :c00l:
Blessed are the lawgoons.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I was lurking the thread, and this banner showed up:

What exactly does one do with an LLM in American Indian and Indigenous Law?

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
At first reading this thread made me feel better about my document review job. After reading through a bunch of random back pages, I now almost feel guilty.

I just worked 10 hours, out of my own free will, and made nearly $40/hour for the last two hours of that. For work that is essentially glorified data entry. Sure I'm not making that much all day, but it really reinforces the fact that I'm doing better in terms of dollars per hour than a lot of lawyers who work way harder than me doing actual legal work that involves writing and briefing and poo poo.

Incidentally, will sitting on a nice doc review job for a while have any negative impact on my prospects of getting a public defense or county/city attorney position at some point down the line? 'Cause I'd still like to do that some day.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 17, 2011

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Kefit posted:

Incidentally, will sitting on a nice doc review job for a while have any negative impact on my prospects of getting a public defense or county/city attorney position at some point down the line? 'Cause I'd still like to do that some day.

Sadly, from everything I've heard(anecdotal), doing doc review gets you cast as "one of those" and it's hard to make the jump into actual non-doc review legal work.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

FrozenVent posted:

Either you get to learn ancient theories of justice or you learn the legal systems set up on reservations.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

FrozenVent posted:

Remember that many American Indian reservations are essentially their own countries operating within the borders of the United States. In states with a lot of reservations (like Oklahoma) this can be pretty useful area of law to know as sovereignty and jurisdictional issues come up a lot, especially in family and civil law.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

GamingHyena posted:

Remember that many American Indian reservations are essentially their own countries operating within the borders of the United States. In states with a lot of reservations (like Oklahoma) this can be pretty useful area of law to know as sovereignty and jurisdictional issues come up a lot, especially in family and civil law.

Hadn't thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

FrozenVent posted:

-Wait until one of the Tulsa Law School Indian Law professors retires and teach.
-Try to hang out your own shingle in a very small and very insular niche practice - the LLM won't make a jot of difference; actually practicing in the trial courts is the only way to become competent. However, you can put "LLM" in your ads and on your business card. The biggest town you'd get to practice in is Ada, OK - population 16,000. The most active courts are in Tahlequah (15,000) and Okmulgee (12,000) Better have another practice area or two.
-Work for one of the tribes. But since they are allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, your CDIB (Certificate of Degree of Indian Birth) is paramount - an LLM's practical effect approaches zero.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

-Wait until one of the Tulsa Law School Indian Law professors retires and teach.
-Try to hang out your own shingle in a very small and very insular niche practice - the LLM won't make a jot of difference; actually practicing in the trial courts is the only way to become competent. However, you can put "LLM" in your ads and on your business card. The biggest town you'd get to practice in is Ada, OK - population 16,000. The most active courts are in Tahlequah (15,000) and Okmulgee (12,000) Better have another practice area or two.
-Work for one of the tribes. But since they are allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, your CDIB (Certificate of Degree of Indian Birth) is paramount - an LLM's practical effect approaches zero.
There are a few decent firms that do this kind of work and do pretty well, but it is an extremely niche area that an LLM from University of Tulsa ain't breaking you into.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

So I know there's a few posters in here that know about intellectual property law, and I know Petey has mentioned Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic. Is it even worth looking into the Berkman Center Cyberlaw Clinic given that I don't have an engineering/hard science undergrad background? Are there decent "soft" intellectual property jobs out there, or am I going to be completely hamstrung by an inability to sit for the patent bar? I haven't really had a huge interest in intellectual property until looking into Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic, but it's definitely not something I would want to pursue if it's poor employment without being able to sit for the patent bar.

If you know how to market yourself as a solo, there are clients out there. I took an IP law clinic and consider the majority of my practice to be some sort of cyberlaw, but I'm not patent eligible.

It'd be much easier if I was, and ultimately I'm taking a government job for a while to build up a bit of a bankroll first. But if you can fund it, it's a perfectly viable way to go.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Business of Ferrets posted:

Hey, it got SWATJester a job as a diplomat!

Actually, his time in the Army probably counted more than the JD. . . .

I think they were about equal though; my JD time showed I wasn't a slacker and could manage poo poo, while the Army was all the substantive good things.

Enigma89 posted:

<<<Just got put on the waiting list at America University. Law School numbers ranks it at #46. Should I be excited or should I just kill myself?
http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/schools?rank

American is good for a few things. Our IP and Cyberlaw courses are really really good, especially if you take certain professors as mentors and leverage their contacts, and do the clinic. If you take the time to get involved with certain organizations, you can definitely get your foot in the door in a lot of places (I didn't get any of the jobs, but I interviewed a fair bit).

International/NGO/Human Rights panda poo poo is also big there, but it's also competitive there. If you know a language you can probably find work (especially if you go do UN stuff with the Dean-who-is-never-here).

Surprisingly quite a few of my friends placed very well in big law, though in many cases it wasn't their first job after graduation.

If you can afford the dick-crushing tuition, and the fact that the administration is both non-existant and incredibly incompetent, it's actually not a bad school at all.

-e- It's still a bad idea to go there. Retake your poo poo until you can go to a T14, or don't go at all. It's not worth a $200,000+ gamble.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Kefit posted:

At first reading this thread made me feel better about my document review job. After reading through a bunch of random back pages, I now almost feel guilty.

I just worked 10 hours, out of my own free will, and made nearly $40/hour for the last two hours of that. For work that is essentially glorified data entry. Sure I'm not making that much all day, but it really reinforces the fact that I'm doing better in terms of dollars per hour than a lot of lawyers who work way harder than me doing actual legal work that involves writing and briefing and poo poo.

Doc review is retardedly easy money. However, if you have any ambition whatsoever it will eventually make you hate life. Also, you will never make more than you are now. Eventually those other lawyers, if they are any good, will be able to make a lot more money than you.

Doc review is easy money when you're on a good long term project, or the market is great and there's always another project with OT available. When things are slow, or you keep getting put on projects that end early, and it takes a week or so to get on something new, it can suck. I've only worked two 40 hour weeks in 2011. Only had a couple weeks totally off, but I've had several 20-30 hour ones.

From everything I've heard, yes, doc review is a black mark. But it won't automatically sink you for government work or small firms (forget biglaw, they probably won't touch you, but if you were competitive for biglaw you probably wouldn't be working doc review). A friend of mine just got a job as a PD after spending 3 years doing doc review. Another got an in-house counsel job, but he never put doc review on his resume, just made it look like he was still working at his small firm he and his friend had in another state (he was still doing work for it). Every once in a while someone leaves a project for a permanent job. Its usually the person with some decent experience that makes you think "why the hell couldn't this person do better than doc review?"

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 17, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mrtoodles posted:

So far I've done a lot of trade secrets work. I wouldn't call it bullshit. The technologies at issue are almost by definition cutting edge stuff if you're working for a tech company. Patent tech is old news in comparison by the time it gets to litigation.

Trade secret work is much more like general litigation, with a generous helping of employment law. But it's still IP and understanding technologies, how they are distinct and secret, and why they are valuable has some cognitive similarities to patent work.

The damages side of trade secrets and patents has a lot in common too -- reasonable royalty is an analysis in both.
Trade secrets fall into the "I am missing something" category. I agree that there are a bunch of big trade secret cases out there. IME, they typically fall to general litigators or patent litigators.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
hey guys I finally figured out what to do with my mondo bonus from 2010--check out my sweet new wheels

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 17, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

So I know there's a few posters in here that know about intellectual property law, and I know Petey has mentioned Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic. Is it even worth looking into the Berkman Center Cyberlaw Clinic given that I don't have an engineering/hard science undergrad background? Are there decent "soft" intellectual property jobs out there, or am I going to be completely hamstrung by an inability to sit for the patent bar? I haven't really had a huge interest in intellectual property until looking into Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic, but it's definitely not something I would want to pursue if it's poor employment without being able to sit for the patent bar.

YES. As a former Berkman RA you should do as much as possible with them. It is an absolutely incredible place.

e: I have no idea about patent/IP careers but you should spend time at Berkman Just Because. You are correct that the experiences and connections are fantastic.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

entris posted:

Generally, no, because AAAs are only required if the S Corp has accumulated earnings and profits, which are C Corp concepts that don't come into play if the S Corp was never a C Corp...

Thanks!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phil Moscowitz posted:

hey guys I finally figured out what to do with my mondo bonus from 2010--check out my sweet new wheels

i assume the bonus is to pay someone to murder that guy right?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ya right, that guy owns. When the engine starts up on that preemptive nation-builder, the neighborhood runs off to hide their WMD. When he pulls up to the drive-thru, the cashier knows he wants freedom fries with that. World Bank pays his girlfriend whatever the gently caress he says she should be paid. He never needs an oil change because you drive to work with the corvette you have, not the corvette you might want in the future.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Fuckin Shell Station blows up and spews gasoline straight into his tank as soon as he drives up to the pump. BMWs see him coming and file a formal protest with the UN. Pop open that hood and sparkplugs be lookin like they hooked up to a detainee's balls. When he rolls up on a bitch he yells out the window "Tits or GTMO"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dude's middle name is "The War Against Terror" but he usually just goes by its acronym

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Dude's middle name is "The War Against Terror" but he usually just goes by its acronym

drat.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
Phil, you are my loving hero.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I wish I could work for someone as funny as you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I hate this guy because he is why I can't have a corvette (used, they are fairly cheap). Awesome track cars ruined by 50 something midlife crisisers with bad combovers and a convertible automatic vette doing 20mph under the limit.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What's the equivalent of "LOL" for that sort of snort you make to stop laughing while browsing at work. Because that.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Phil Moscowitz posted:

when he rolls up on a bitch he yells out the window "Tits or GTMO"

loled irl

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lol

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Berkman has an amazing array of projects going on. Last semester I helped out with an access-to-justice thing, plus a little copyright/defamation on the side.

Chris Conley at ACLUNC once told me that it's not so much whether you understand the technology at the nuts-and-bolts level, but whether you understand what it means in a social/legal sense. I think that's very much the case at Berkman, too.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

poo poo from this retard Enigma89, including: posted:

Jesus christ I am hosed (saved?) I just got rejected from Santa Clara university. They were one of my safety schools.

Since Phil posted a really sweet :iceburn:, your latest string of posts may have been overlooked. I see a need to reiterate that if you got waitlisted at American and rejected from Santa Clara, then you're way way way way way under qualified to make law school a rational/intelligent choice. If you scored a 150something on the LSAT, then you are way way way under qualified to go to law school. I know a lot of people have called you a troll in the past, but just in case you are not a troll (and, lord have mercy, I hope you are) do not go to law school. Please. Jesus was tortured and gave his life so poor souls like you can learn from your extraordinarily retarded ways. Do not go to law school you goddamn idiot.

If you go to law school, then you will be personally responsible for using up the entirety of the Lord's sin-forgiving-ness. You will be the personification of the sin that broke the camel's back. Your sin will be minor - sheer, complete and utter stupidity - but you will doom all of humanity to an eternity of horrific and perpetual torture if you go to law school. I'm not kidding, I'm not exaggerating, I'm not trolling you. If you go to law school, you will be the personification of the anti-Christ. That's how under qualified you are, and that's how terrible of a mistake it would be for you.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 18, 2011

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Red Bean Juice posted:

Berkman has an amazing array of projects going on. Last semester I helped out with an access-to-justice thing, plus a little copyright/defamation on the side.

Chris Conley at ACLUNC once told me that it's not so much whether you understand the technology at the nuts-and-bolts level, but whether you understand what it means in a social/legal sense. I think that's very much the case at Berkman, too.

yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't need to be sold on Berkman being awesome. I'm just worried about the employment opportunities without being able to sit for the patent bar.

There's a seminar thing for admitted students on Berkman though so I'll definitely be checking that out. They'll probably have some answers, although I suppose it will be along the lines of "berkman is awesome, you'll be fine," which isn't too helpful.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: BMWs see him coming and file a formal protest with the UN.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't need to be sold on Berkman being awesome. I'm just worried about the employment opportunities without being able to sit for the patent bar.

They will be limited. You will just have to learn to do other stuff in addition to your IP. For me, it was selling myself as an entertainment attorney -- that way most of my clients don't expect patent work, and those few who have any I can outsource.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Dude who got waitlisted at American: I went through a bad cycle myself. My advice is to buckle down and give the LSAT another go - in a year. Even two if you are still undergrad, I don't remember if you said you were or not. Work for a while, try to save some bucks, hang out, and be a grown up for a bit. You gotta trust me when I say it's the right move to wait this one out. Then, take the February test, hopefully kick some rear end and apply on day one in September 2012 or whatever. It's not that I think American is a bad school - I'm advocating the gap between undergrad and law school.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

sigmachiev posted:

Dude who got waitlisted at American: I went through a bad cycle myself. My advice is to buckle down and give the LSAT another go - in a year. Even two if you are still undergrad, I don't remember if you said you were or not. Work for a while, try to save some bucks, hang out, and be a grown up for a bit. You gotta trust me when I say it's the right move to wait this one out. Then, take the February test, hopefully kick some rear end and apply on day one in September 2012 or whatever. It's not that I think American is a bad school - I'm advocating the gap between undergrad and law school.

As someone who took no time off, I am also advocating the gap (at least one) year - if I hadn't graduated college with basically two options, go home to Kentucky and try to find work or go to YLS, I might have done so myself.

However, look very seriously at your application. Was it just the LSAT that tanked you, or do you have a bad GPA? I don't know your numbers, but honestly if it's the LSAT you can do better and if it's the GPA you're just not going to get into a school that can get close enough to the level of job prospects you need to justify the debt. Don't go.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

The Warszawa posted:

As someone who took no time off, I am also advocating the gap (at least one) year - if I hadn't graduated college with basically two options, go home to Kentucky and try to find work or go to YLS, I might have done so myself.

However, look very seriously at your application. Was it just the LSAT that tanked you, or do you have a bad GPA? I don't know your numbers, but honestly if it's the LSAT you can do better and if it's the GPA you're just not going to get into a school that can get close enough to the level of job prospects you need to justify the debt. Don't go.

Yeah, take a year off, find a temporary job, and then seriously think about keeping it. Travel a little. In my gap I went to Australia for a month, saved enough money to carry me through my upcoming unpaid internship, hosed around, and got an offer to stay at my job permanently. Having some work experience will give you a tiny bit of credibility in interviews and in life. It may also make you hungrier for school.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Enigma89 isn't a troll. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

sigmachiev posted:

I'm advocating the gap between undergrad and law school.

I'm an advocate of this myself. I don't truly regret going to law school yet, but I do regret going straight from undergrad, as it prevented me from making an informed decision on the matter. I might have been able to find a career in that time, or figure out something else that I actually wanted to do in life, or simply had more time to figure out how law schools really operate. It would also have been really nice if, my 1L year, I wasn't competing for jobs with a resume that had all of two retail jobs on it, whereas many of my peers had business, legislative, or other professional experience.

I also wouldn't have started law school in 2007 only to watch the stock market tumble in 2008 and ruin a lot of my job prospects because now all the highly overqualified students from top schools had to come and take my state AG and state appellate clerkships etc. Well OK that's not something you can reasonably use to advocate the gap between undergrad and law school, hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

By the way, sigmachiev are you a UW Law student? I ask because that's where I went, but I've learned that avatars don't necessarily mean anything on SA.