Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
And I think Lucas empathizes with the indie filmmaker because that was his roots, and his continued dislike of the studio system.

Dude's a money grabbing rear end but some of his intents have good qualities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

RagnarokAngel posted:

And I think Lucas empathizes with the indie filmmaker because that was his roots, and his continued dislike of the studio system.

Dude's a money grabbing rear end but some of his intents have good qualities.

It'd be lovely if he'd actually leave a huge amount of money put aside in some small charity for strugging independents really.

I enjoy Pegg and Frosts films but come on guys get on the ball for Star Wars.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'd be lovely if he'd actually leave a huge amount of money put aside in some small charity for strugging independents really.

I enjoy Pegg and Frosts films but come on guys get on the ball for Star Wars.

It wouldn't surprise me if he donated a lot of money to film schools or film programs later in his life -- I think he's already donated a building or two at USC.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MauveTrousers posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if he donated a lot of money to film schools or film programs later in his life -- I think he's already donated a building or two at USC.

That I did not know. We spend way too much being jerks about George.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

MauveTrousers posted:

Yeah, but then he came back twenty years later and demanded they build a structurally unsound addition so it would match his idea of what the building should have been.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
He's commited half his fortune to the Warren Buffet give half your money away when you die thing that he and Gates set up.

He's also extremely picky about his movies. When the studio recut 5 minutes of American Graffitti he went insane. It was actually Gene Roddenberry that convinced him fan films and fiction were good ideas that would make him rich. If not for Gene we really couldn't goon about Jorge now.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBad posted:

He's also extremely picky about his movies. When the studio recut 5 minutes of American Graffitti he went insane. It was actually Gene Roddenberry that convinced him fan films and fiction were good ideas that would make him rich. If not for Gene we really couldn't goon about Jorge now.

I find that very ironic considering the only canon in Star Trek is the stuff released by Paramount on TV and the big screen. Even the licensed comics and books aren't considered anything.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 18, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Never said anything about canon, just that fan-fiction promotes the brand rather than dilutes it. It's not an instinctual sentiment for creatives.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I find that very ironic considering the only canon in Star Trek is the stuff released by Paramount on TV and the big screen. Even the licensed comics and books aren't considered anything.

I think that's because they realized what a bad idea it would be allowing extra material to enter the convoluted Trek canon. They already have a guy whose job it is to keep everything on screen canon.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Star Trek canon, there's a joke. Internal consistency, what's that?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I never said Star Trek had good canon, just that Paramount has that policy.

Sorry for misreading what was written. I assumed that fan material leading to more money was an inference of officially sold fan material bringing in revenue. Kind of like Larry Niven and Ringworld.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

He also was a big defender against colorizing B&W films. It sounds hypocritical but he chose to change Star Wars, even if we don't like it, it is legally his film to change.

I mean, I dislike George for the same reasons a lot of people do. He's closeminded, obsessed with style over substance, and loves to milk the cash cow. But I don't think he tries to be a bad guy, the plinkett reviews seem to have cause a huge surge in hatred that isn't totally warranted.

The worst thing he did was change some movies that he owned, it's hardly the worst thing to happen, even if we're just picking filmmakers.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, sometimes we forget that in the end, its thanks to the guy that we even have Star Wars. He's done some awful poo poo to the brand in the last decade, but without him we wouldn't have a lot of great poo poo we love.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

He also was a big defender against colorizing B&W films. It sounds hypocritical but he chose to change Star Wars, even if we don't like it, it is legally his film to change.

I mean, I dislike George for the same reasons a lot of people do. He's closeminded, obsessed with style over substance, and loves to milk the cash cow. But I don't think he tries to be a bad guy, the plinkett reviews seem to have cause a huge surge in hatred that isn't totally warranted.

The worst thing he did was change some movies that he owned, it's hardly the worst thing to happen, even if we're just picking filmmakers.

They're not just his movies, though. He just holds the copyright. This defense of "they're his movies, he can do what he wants" ignores the input of everyone else that took part in creating the movies.

Hate, dislike, it's all semantics. Bottom line: you don't agree with the things he's done to the franchise. I don't think there are any goons that do. If there are, they're definitely a minority.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah, sometimes we forget that in the end, its thanks to the guy that we even have Star Wars. He's done some awful poo poo to the brand in the last decade, but without him we wouldn't have a lot of great poo poo we love.

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Doesn't it seem a little short sighted to claim Lucas shouldn't be taking the sole credit, then giving it to another person? I agree the way George writes Marcia out of the picture is pretty scummy but she didn't do the whole drat thing either. George did have the initial spark. Marcia took it, refined it, made it something worth watching. Without her the films would have been, well, the prequels. But they probably share equal credit.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 18, 2011

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Doesn't it seem a little short sighted to claim Lucas shouldn't be taking the sole credit, then giving it to another person? I agree the way George writes Marcia out of the picture is pretty scummy but she didn't do the whole drat thing either. George did have the initial spark.

And that's why I never said that. I simply highlighted the most egregious example of Lucas' hubris.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Marcia took it, refined it, made it something worth watching. Without her the films would have been, well, the prequels. But they probably share equal credit.
How does this jive with your previous post?

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 18, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Divorce does poo poo to people. It's sad really.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Divorce does poo poo to people. It's sad really.

Straw man to red herring, nice.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I was not aware I was debating anything :confused:

Edit: I get your point really, I'm not trying to change your mind on anything though.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 18, 2011

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I was not aware I was debating anything :confused:

Well I posted a response that contradicted yours...Would you prefer to call it an argument?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

How does it contradict it? We both agreed no one person gets credit for it. All I had said was that without George we wouldn't have Star Wars, and you have to admit that's true. I didn't mean to imply that he was the end-all be-all. I'd easily agree that there'd be no Star Wars without Marcia, or no ESB without Kershner etc. Parts of a whole. I'm sorry if I seemed contradicting.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 18, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I don't think anyone could or would claim Lucas has sole credit for Star wars at all.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

How does it contradict it? We both agreed no one person gets credit for it. All I had said was that without George we wouldn't have Star Wars, and you have to admit that's true. I didn't mean to imply that he was the end-all be-all. I'd easily agree that there'd be no Star Wars without Marcia, or no ESB without Kershner etc. Parts of a whole. I'm sorry if I seemed contradicting.

I'm sorry, I should've been more specific. This is what I mainly take issue with:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Originally, I was basically just bitching about how he chose to exert his legal power as copyright holder. It must sound pretty :goonsay:, but I really think there's more to it than just who holds the rights. Imagine if the OT was made in the traditional studio manner. Had the studio bastardized the franchise to the amount that Lucas has, I'd be just as pissed at them, and for very similar reasons. It's not fair to poo poo all over other people's work like that.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
Regarding the whole "its his right to change his own film" I look at it like this: Leonardo painted the Mona Lisa and by all rights he can do whatever he wants with it. But if he took a huge poo poo on it and then rubbed his lovely rear end all over it, we all have the right to get pissed at him because he took something beautiful and totally ruined it.

Just because he has the rights doesn't make it right.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

That I did not know. We spend way too much being jerks about George.

I live in Connecticut and the local NPR station always mentions the George Lucas Educational Fund as one of its sponsors.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Mooktastical posted:

Originally, I was basically just bitching about how he chose to exert his legal power as copyright holder. It must sound pretty :goonsay:, but I really think there's more to it than just who holds the rights. Imagine if the OT was made in the traditional studio manner. Had the studio bastardized the franchise to the amount that Lucas has, I'd be just as pissed at them, and for very similar reasons. It's not fair to poo poo all over other people's work like that.

I think we can quote the ghost of a wise man in support of this:

George Lucas, testifying before congress, 1988 posted:

A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob
^^^Yeah, but he was talking about "art", not one long toy commercial like you know what has turned into.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

deadguy posted:

^^^Yeah, but he was talking about "art", not one long toy commercial like you know what has turned into.

Turned into?

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob

RagnarokAngel posted:

Turned into?

Well, the prequels. The OT was pretty legitimate wasn't it?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

deadguy posted:

Well, the prequels. The OT was pretty legitimate wasn't it?

I'm pretty sure we can get 10 different interviews that say ROTJ was intended to be a big toy commercial.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure we can get 10 different interviews that say ROTJ was intended to be a big toy commercial.

Hell, you can probably go back to interviews about Lucas seeing even Empire as a toy commercial. Probably why he dislikes it so much: it was a toy commercial that nearly cost him everything. Past schedule, overbudget, $30 million+ toy commercial that Lucas had to take out loans and risk his entire fortune and future on.

I kind of worry that Star Wars is a self-perpetuating entity now. Like, George Lucas makes Star Wars movies to sell action figures and comics and books and whatever to make money. And then he uses that money to make more Star Wars. It's almost frightening.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

During production of A New Hope George specifically negotiated for exclusive rights to merchandising contracts, and got them because at the time no one saw any money in it. It's no mystery honestly.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

^...the hell? Why are they using stormtroopers? Is there something I'm missing? :wtc:

To make up for that insanity, here's a pic of the EU's cutest Sith:

:devil::hf::3:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mahoshonen posted:

^...the hell? Why are they using stormtroopers? Is there something I'm missing? :wtc:
I'd guess it's the 501st people having a fundraiser.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Does anyone have that EU cover that is blatantly a LOTR photoshop with a lightsaber?

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
In the OP there's a link to a LP of KOTOR which links to a strange page that has an IP address as the webpage address and doesn't show me as being signed into SA and all the links are dead. Can anyone tell what's up with that?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Does anyone have that EU cover that is blatantly a LOTR photoshop with a lightsaber?

It's not cover art, it's from (I believe) The New Essential Chronology. As I recall it's either supposed to be the Great Hyperspace War from the Tales of the Jedi comics or the battle from the end of the Jedi vs. Sith comic, but I looked through the images category on Wookieepedia and didn't see it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I will never get tired of posting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Just noticed the triceratops :stare: how does that thing eat?