Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevilOnYourShoulder
May 17, 2007
Tour guide on the road to damnation

Encryptic posted:

Yeah, my computer is fairly old so streaming doesn't work very well (I've got broadband so that's not an issue). Planning on upgrading soon or possibly getting an XBox + new TV.

Just FYI, if you go XBOX, you'll need a XBox Live Gold membership/account to watch Netflix streaming. Playstation 3 has no such requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In The Virgin Suicides, why did Lux invite the boys over to their house while they were in the process of killing themselves? Why would she want them to see that?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
In Last Tango in Paris, what was Jeanne's rationale for staying in the "relationship" with Paul? I figured that it was due to some unresolved daddy issues, and that being a 20-year old girl, she doesn't fully realize the consequences of her actions.

Also, why is the butter scene often cited, when the Brando rear end scene is weirder?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Twin Cinema posted:

In Last Tango in Paris, what was Jeanne's rationale for staying in the "relationship" with Paul? I figured that it was due to some unresolved daddy issues, and that being a 20-year old girl, she doesn't fully realize the consequences of her actions.

Also, why is the butter scene often cited, when the Brando rear end scene is weirder?

IMDB posted:

According to Maria Schneider, the famous "butter scene" was never in the script and improvised at the last minute by Marlon Brando and Bernardo Bertolucci without consulting her. Though the sodomy act was faked, her real tears in the film clearly testify her state of shock.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
Are there any particularly nice examples of moments in film production where an accident/mistake/budget limitation has led to a moment of serendipity that actually made the film better?

I'm drawing an absolute blank. The larger an impact it had on the film or the more iconic the mistake became the better but anything interesting.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

rorty posted:

Are there any particularly nice examples of moments in film production where an accident/mistake/budget limitation has led to a moment of serendipity that actually made the film better?

I'm drawing an absolute blank. The larger an impact it had on the film or the more iconic the mistake became the better but anything interesting.

Annie Hall

Skip to #4: http://www.cracked.com/article_18644_5-world-changing-decisions-made-ridiculous-reasons.html

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

rorty posted:

In Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, they were originally going to have an elaborate fight scene between Jones and that one guy with the scimitar. But Harrison Ford had food poisoning on the day of shooting, and the end result is better than anything they could have come up with at the scripting stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLIOtBLqoU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

But Harrison Ford had food poisoning on the day of shooting

Bad dates?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

rorty posted:

Pretty much everything about the shark in Jaws.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, that's unreal.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

rorty posted:

In Boogie Nights, William H Macy says "My wife has an rear end in her cock in the driveway, Burt! I'm sorry if my thoughts aren't on the lighting of the film we're shooting tomorrow!"

I would have thought it was scripted, but no, it's a genuine flub by Macy and they decided to run with it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

rorty posted:

Is it cheating to say the entirety of Apocalypse Now?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

ClydeUmney posted:

Is it cheating to say the entirety of Apocalypse Now?

Definitely the scenes with Kurtz. Brando didn't lose the weight he was supposed to, so they hid him in shadows for most of his shots, and the result is amazing.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Rake Arms posted:

Definitely the scenes with Kurtz. Brando didn't lose the weight he was supposed to, so they hid him in shadows for most of his shots, and the result is amazing.
Also, if I remember right, he refused to memorize his lines and basically came up with all of his own dialogue.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
George C. Scott's tumble and fall in Dr. Strangelove was apparently unscripted, but it works brilliantly. Also, Peter Sellers was supposed to have a fourth part as Major Kong, but getting Slim Pickens at the last minute and telling him it was a serious movie was such a better way to go.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Almost the same thing happened with Blow Up supposedly:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19990210/COMMENTARY/70731003

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Bobfromsales posted:

Pretty much everything about the shark in Jaws.

That all applies to the alien in Alien too, doesn't it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This question applies mostly to people who, like me, speak only English. When you guys say out loud the name of a movie with a foreign language title, such as Au Revoir Les Enfants or Le Cercle Rouge (just to name a couple that spring to mind), how do you go about pronouncing them? Do you do your best to say them with the proper accent and pronunciation? When I try doing that I just feel like a pretentious rear end. Unless I could learn to pronounce them flawlessly, I typically say, "that movie with the foreign title I can't pronounce," but then I feel like an uncultured philistine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

caiman posted:

This question applies mostly to people who, like me, speak only English. When you guys say out loud the name of a movie with a foreign language title, such as Au Revoir Les Enfants or Le Cercle Rouge (just to name a couple that spring to mind), how do you go about pronouncing them? Do you do your best to say them with the proper accent and pronunciation? When I try doing that I just feel like a pretentious rear end. Unless I could learn to pronounce them flawlessly, I typically say, "that movie with the foreign title I can't pronounce," but then I feel like an uncultured philistine.

I try and say the foreign title as it should be said, usually followed by "or however it's pronounced"

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Why's that? If you know vaguely how to say it for real, do it. gently caress 'em if they can't handle hearing another language.

Also, in response to the other query, didn't Peter Sellers not get the role of the pilot simply because he couldn't do the Texas accent? Slim Pickens owns anyhow.

TonTon
May 1, 2008

big business sloth posted:

Also, in response to the other query, didn't Peter Sellers not get the role of the pilot simply because he couldn't do the Texas accent? Slim Pickens owns anyhow.

I thought it was because he broke his leg, but I may just be misremembering something I read.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caiman posted:

Always do the comedy stereotype accent, over-enunciating every syllable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TonTon posted:

I thought it was because he broke his leg, but I may just be misremembering something I read.

I thought they weren't satisfied with Sellers' attempt at a Texas accent.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Always do the comedy stereotype accent, over-enunciating every syllable.

This is what I imagine SubG does.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FitFortDanga posted:

And then add, `...or ze movie, whatever she is called. Hwah, haw-haw-haw.'

Edit: How do you correctly transliterate the French laugh?

SubG fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 17, 2011

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

caiman posted:

Would you rather dumb people think you're a snob or smart people think you're a rube?

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
After exploring a link in the Blade Runner thread, I've been reading up on a bunch of fan edits of films. Some of them are cleanups where they fix minor things, others fix stories or eliminate threads or characters that distract from the film. Some try to change the overall tone of the film. While most of us know of the Star Wars edits, there are a whole bunch of minor to major edits out there.

The ones I'm really curious about now are the ones that change the style. There's a bunch of movies that have been edited into grindhouse style movies (I really want to see the grindhouse version of Jaws).

I haven't actually managed to watch any of them, apart from some star wars clips on youtube. What's your experience with them?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FitFortDanga posted:

Aww Rehvwahh Lay Unnfunn[1987]

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Regarding the Sellers thing, he was reluctant to play Kong, saying he could never get the accent right. Kubrick had Terry Southern record some of the dialogue so Sellers could listen to it and try to get the accent down. Sellers got the accent down pretty good, but ended up breaking his ankle and, doing a run through of a scene where Kong has to climb down a ladder, hurt himself further after falling off the ladder. The insurance people wouldn't insure him if he went on playing the part, so they had to recast. Here's an article by Southern. He starts talking about it a little ways down, so scroll down to where you see the indented section that's a quote from a telegram.

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0081.html

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Aww Rehvwahh Lay Unnfunn[1987]

I'm pretty sure that would be "Lay Zuhnfuhn."

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm pretty sure that would be "Lay Zuhnfuhn."
`Our Revwar, Lay Zunfun'. By Lewis Mallay.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

IMDB posted:

The title for the film came to Quentin Tarantino via a patron at the now-famous Video Archives. While working there, Tarantino would often recommend little-known titles to customers, and when he suggested Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987), the patron mockingly replied, "I don't want to see no reservoir dogs!"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SubG posted:

Edit: How do you correctly transliterate the French laugh?

"awhn-awhn-awhn-awhn", but the h is silent or emphasized depending on order

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Okay, question about Fires on the Plain - very early on in the movie (right after the opening credits), the protagonist meets a guy living in the woods who offers him some yams. He says he has to go get them. After he leaves, our protagonist calls him a bastard, sees he's disappeared, and kicks over the pot that was cooking.

So, I'm really confused about that scene. Why did he freak out when the guy ran off? Why not eat the guy's food? Am I missing something really obvious?

codyclarke posted:

Stuff about the title for Reservoir Dogs

I once sent that trivia to Ebert, who was having a discussion about the title for the movie. He actually wrote me back and said he had heard that story, and could easily see Tarantino telling it himself, but that he couldn't really see how you could get Reservoir Dogs out of any mispronunciation of Au Revoir Les Enfants.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ClydeUmney posted:

I once sent that trivia to Ebert, who was having a discussion about the title for the movie. He actually wrote me back and said he had heard that story, and could easily see Tarantino telling it himself, but that he couldn't really see how you could get Reservoir Dogs out of any mispronunciation of Au Revoir Les Enfants.

I choose to believe that story, though, because I can't think of any other rational reason why someone would title their movie Reservoir Dogs.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
A friend told me it was a mixture of Au Revoir Les Enfants and Straw Dogs.

As for the pronunciation I'd say aim more towards the middle ground. It's really pretentious to be speaking English and then drop into a French accent to sound smart, plus a convincing French accent is tough to boot. If you're conducting the whole conversation in French feel free to pronounce them properly but as someone who speaks French, if I had to fit them into an English conversation I'd say 'o ruh vwar lay zahn fahnts' and 'luh sare cluh rooj' where in actual French it would be closer to 'orvwar lay zahnfahn' and 'luh cer clrooj'.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

morestuff posted:

I choose to believe that story, though, because I can't think of any other rational reason why someone would title their movie Reservoir Dogs.

I've read some people say it's an homage to a scene in Body Double. I've never seen it, so I can't comment.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

It's really pretentious to be speaking English and then drop into a French accent to sound smart, plus a convincing French accent is tough to boot.

I'm calling bullshit on this. Where do you live where pronouncing French words properly is considered "pretentious"? If you're accusing people of speaking French "to sound smart" then can I accuse you back of butchering French words so you can sound stupid? It doesn't make sense.

(if it matters at all, I speak both languages too)

EDIT -- and I don't really mean in this a nasty way ... I feel bad for you if you're living somewhere where people have such a lovely attitude to languages that aren't English. If not, then gently caress this "am I being pretentious" poo poo, you speak both languages so make no concessions, man.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 18, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At least try to get the phonetics right. Even rednecks don't call the Formula One championship "grand pricks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
^^^^
I don't think it's necessary to call it the 'grahn prhi' either. They're sort of borrowed words now.

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this. Where do you live where pronouncing French words properly is considered "pretentious"? If you're accusing people of speaking French "to sound smart" then can I accuse you back of butchering French words so you can sound stupid? It doesn't make sense.

(if it matters at all, I speak both languages too)

EDIT -- and I don't really mean in this a nasty way ... I feel bad for you if you're living somewhere where people have such a lovely attitude to languages that aren't English. If not, then gently caress this "am I being pretentious" poo poo, you speak both languages so make no concessions, man.

Haha, I've actually never gotten it from anywhere else it's entirely my feelings. I live in Colorado where few people speak French but I think it comes from a fear of saying something like, "Oh have you checked out Diner pour les cons (giving the raspy 'r' for pour and the nasality in 'cons') and having someone think, "Oh gee, glad he could subtly drop his second language into conversation." or making someone feel uncomfortable if they can't pronounce something correctly.
Plus it's almost on a level of correcting someone by saying, "Breathless? Oh, you must mean 'Au bout de souffle' :smug:

Although a friend did pronounce Truffaut like trumpet with an f in the middle and I think that's unacceptable.

Plus (if you're American) don't you agree that French is up there on the pretentious language list. My friend's middle name is Yves and I taught him how to pronounce it and he kind of scoffed and disregarded it and then dogged me for pronouncing the h in horchata. I think it's more acceptable to have good Spanish pronunciations than good French ones.

Sorry for this enormous tangent. I just watched Manhattan a few nights ago and it was my first Woody Allen movie. I thought it was tremendous. Where should I go next? I'm assuming Annie Hall but I've heard there's two types of Woody Allen movies: the neurotic Jewish New Yorker films and the genre parodies. What's a good way to approach both of these?