Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

rotaryfun posted:

Am I missing out on anything by running launcher pro in cyanogen rather than ADW that it comes with?

No, it's down to personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

Yeah...I got that much...

What about :
Interactive
Conservative
Userspace

Wile I'm asking, there's a checkbox for "Set on boot" - Restpre CPU Settings on Boot. Does this mean that whatever governor I select will not remain selected on a reboot unless I check that box?

I'll give those a go.

I don't understand the settings for the Custom Light Levels though...

Interactive is a bit fuzzy, but it apparently scales the processor speed using a more sophisticated algorithm than ondemand, which supposedly increases responsiveness. Conservative scales the processor up in steps based on load, rather than ondemand (which just goes to max once load crosses a certain threshold). According to the SetCPU coder, "The userspace governor is currently useless. It's another way for applications to set the CPU speed that SetCPU does not use."

I've become a fan of the smartass governor, which is available in some new kernels and automatically throttles back the max frequency when the screen is off. Saves the need for a SetCPU profile to do this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Yeah...I got that much...

What about :
Interactive
Conservative
Userspace

Wile I'm asking, there's a checkbox for "Set on boot" - Restpre CPU Settings on Boot. Does this mean that whatever governor I select will not remain selected on a reboot unless I check that box?
Honestly I couldn't find anything on those but here is the thread on it at xda. Feel free to look, it might be in there.

Ozmodiar posted:

I'll give those a go.

I don't understand the settings for the Custom Light Levels though...
Basically it's asking how many steps of brightness you'd like, then it's asking you to define the exact ranges and how bright you'd like it. The settings on the far right are for the button backlight (obviously you need these dim in bright light but need the screen bright, so that's why they're separate.) The settings outside of there asks how often you'd like it to poll, what amount of difference of light level means it should readjust, etc.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I couldn't find anything on those but here is the thread on it at xda. Feel free to look, it might be in there.

More specifically, you can find the full explanation here:

http://www.setcpu.com/#7

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

rotaryfun posted:

Welp it came up this time. All is well. Am I missing out on anything by running launcher pro in cyanogen rather than ADW that it comes with?

they are both fairly similar, LP has some widgets if you get the full version and it should be getting revamped soon, but if you havent tried it allready, id suggest Zeam. Its really light weight and it has a great dock bar on it, also lets you set swipe up and swipe down on the home screen to open apps or app draws or all sorts. The only downside to zeam is that you cant change the order of your homescreens if you decide to switch them around, but if you plan out where you want stuff first or you dont mind moving things one by one its not a big issue.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I recently purchased a Nook color and am looking for an easy way to root it so I can transfer my amazing apps over to it and just make it look pretty. Then show it off to everyone at my company who bought an iPad and laugh. Any help with this? The stuff I found online was about it being rooted but no real how to's.
I'm sure I could find some if I were to really dig into it, but I'm high on pain meds and about to go to sleep. Figured I would ask prior to passing out and see what comes up when I wake up. Thank you

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Penguissimo posted:

More specifically, you can find the full explanation here:

http://www.setcpu.com/#7
Here's a big ol' text file documenting on all the governors available in the CM kernel. This includes the interactive governor, which the SetCPU documentation doesn't cover, as well as a bit more detail on the userspace governor (which is indeed pretty much worthless).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ozmodiar posted:

Yes, it's a failsafe so if you gently caress up your phone, a reboot will fix it. The idea is you change it, run it for a while to see if it's stable, then check the checkbox.

Realistically, you're not going to be running anything unstable, so you can just put a check in the box.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Well I switched to MIUI. I am a huge fan of the lock screen but I don't really care for the launcher.

Is it bad form to use ADW with MIUI?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

Well I switched to MIUI. I am a huge fan of the lock screen but I don't really care for the launcher.

Go for it. Lots of people change the launcher.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Android Jesus will literally smite you. Literally.

(Use whatever launcher you want, it's all good.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tooter posted:

I recently purchased a Nook color and am looking for an easy way to root it so I can transfer my amazing apps over to it and just make it look pretty. Then show it off to everyone at my company who bought an iPad and laugh. Any help with this? The stuff I found online was about it being rooted but no real how to's.
I'm sure I could find some if I were to really dig into it, but I'm high on pain meds and about to go to sleep. Figured I would ask prior to passing out and see what comes up when I wake up. Thank you

Your google-fu is weak, old man.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942424

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Dirk Pitt posted:

Similar question: can you replace the dialer/contact list? Are there alternative apps for those functions? I loved MIUI, until I had to make a phone call or look up a contact.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Your google-fu is weak, old man.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942424

Thank you, I was on their forum but in a different thread, and the meds were hitting me hard. I appreciate the help. :)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Similar question: can you replace the dialer/contact list? Are there alternative apps for those functions? I loved MIUI, until I had to make a phone call or look up a contact.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jbapps.contact&feature=search_result

Go Contacts does this. I've not used it just yet but I use GoSMS and I love it. Made by the same people.

edit:
Played with it a little bit. I like it just fine. I probably won't switch but then I don't have a preference on what my dialer/contacts look like or operate. You can't change the themes like you can with GoSMS but I still like how it looks either way.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 17, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

What about it didn't you like? It's hard to recommend an alternative if you don't explain what you didn't like about it.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

I did on an old version of the rom with an old version of google talk. Make sure to update your gApps.

Ah, thanks.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.

rotaryfun posted:

This is pretty much the state I'm in now. It's pretty euphoric just how much snappier everything is with the OG Droid.

Have a lot of issues come up with over clocking the phones? I saw the other day that someone over clocked their OG Droid to 900MHz, which seems pretty ridiculous seeing as how it's at 550MHz now even though it's a 600MHz processor. What about overheating and the other stuff that you worry about when over clocking?

Im almost 100% sure the droid isnt a 600MHz processor. ive overclocked mine to 1100MHz, and while it was kind of a bitch on batterylife til i setup setcpu, it never got any hotter than normal unless setcpu stopped controlling it and let it run free. It is just clocked at 600 by default in stock kernels i think.

EDIT: ignore this, was using the awful app on my phone, thought I was at the end of the topic.

Primworm fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 17, 2011

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Casao posted:

What about it didn't you like? It's hard to recommend an alternative if you don't explain what you didn't like about it.

Sorry, I assumed that changing it wouldn't be an option in the first place.

The dialer screen is very bare, in that I cannot access the contacts list or favourites (or anything else) without first hitting the menu key. A silly nitpick, but it was something the "regular" dialer has, that I missed and was frustrated by, when it wasn't there.

The default for items in the recent call list when you tap them, is to dial the number, instead of bring up the contact (like the regular dialer/contact list). I found out later that this was an adjustable option.

In short, the dialer/contact list in miui just seemed far less integrated than stock android, and I couldn't see any reason they did that. In all cases it aggravated me.

Ignoring the dialer/contact list, I don't really have a preference between cm7/miui, they are both nice in their own ways. I use cm7 because of that dialer issue, and it has development for my specific device. I don't have to rely on some person being kind enough to port a current version.

I would love to use the Monitor application that comes with miui in cm7, but it always fails to install, unsurprisingly.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Sorry, I assumed that changing it wouldn't be an option in the first place.

The dialer screen is very bare, in that I cannot access the contacts list or favourites (or anything else) without first hitting the menu key. A silly nitpick, but it was something the "regular" dialer has, that I missed and was frustrated by, when it wasn't there.

The default for items in the recent call list when you tap them, is to dial the number, instead of bring up the contact (like the regular dialer/contact list). I found out later that this was an adjustable option.

In short, the dialer/contact list in miui just seemed far less integrated than stock android, and I couldn't see any reason they did that. In all cases it aggravated me.

Ignoring the dialer/contact list, I don't really have a preference between cm7/miui, they are both nice in their own ways. I use cm7 because of that dialer issue, and it has development for my specific device. I don't have to rely on some person being kind enough to port a current version.

I would love to use the Monitor application that comes with miui in cm7, but it always fails to install, unsurprisingly.

There's a contact button right in the button left corner

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

If you just want it for tracking usage, try Stats. It's not app-specific, unfortunately, but it will get overall details.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

travisray2004 posted:

There's a contact button right in the button left corner

There wasn't when I had it on a droid. I may give it another shot.

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Until I asked what you were thinking
I just bought the new HTC Thunderbolt and am ready to root the poo poo out of it. Any info about how to go about? or is it not an option yet considering its so new?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chronos13 posted:

I just bought the new HTC Thunderbolt and am ready to root the poo poo out of it. Any info about how to go about? or is it not an option yet considering its so new?
Here's where to poke around.

It seems like it's been rooted but obviously there aren't any ROMs or anything like that.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So i heard that the geniuses at cyanogen have managed to enable bluetooth on the nook. Are any of you running a rooted nook? What are your experiences?

So far i am just running the stock os with root and launcher pro. There are a few annoying quirks, which i have some hope of a non b&n os might fix.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Nerobro posted:

So i heard that the geniuses at cyanogen have managed to enable bluetooth on the nook. Are any of you running a rooted nook? What are your experiences?

So far i am just running the stock os with root and launcher pro. There are a few annoying quirks, which i have some hope of a non b&n os might fix.

Right now it's not that useful thanks to the range being so short. I don't have a wii controller, but I hear those work well enough to use for emulators, and that keyboards work well too. The range is too short for A2DP, my headphones cut out after barely a foot.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
:( MIUI 1.3.18 (Beta 6)is out for almost every other supported phone but the Invisible is still stuck on 1.3.5

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there something with the dialer for CM7 that does not allow me to longpress on a number to dial a contact?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Doctor Butts posted:

Is there something with the dialer for CM7 that does not allow me to longpress on a number to dial a contact?

Not sure about longpress, but you can change the settings of the dialer to put dial buttons on the right side of all the contacts. In preferences within dialer in the "call log" section, there is an option for "show dial button."

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't know what the thing with it is. When I was running CM7 I noticed that sometimes it'd recognize a longpress and dial but most of the time it didn't do anything.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Kazy posted:

Right now it's not that useful thanks to the range being so short. I don't have a wii controller, but I hear those work well enough to use for emulators, and that keyboards work well too. The range is too short for A2DP, my headphones cut out after barely a foot.

I"m kinda ok with that. I really am just interested in using a keyboard of a bluetooth-serial adapter.

What are you running? Do you have the nook suite installed still?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Nerobro posted:

I"m kinda ok with that. I really am just interested in using a keyboard of a bluetooth-serial adapter.

Theres a great app called wifi keyboard that lets you use a keyboard connected to a pc, its obviously not as good as having a bluetooth one but its free and since your bluetooth range is very limited it might be a better option

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Neat trick! However that's also only useful if you're in a place you could be using a PC. I use my Nook on the train, and while on lunch at work.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

:( MIUI 1.3.18 (Beta 6)is out for almost every other supported phone but the Invisible is still stuck on 1.3.5

Well the n1 is still on Froyo so now I have to wait another week! or maybe even longer!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

travisray2004 posted:

The only official MIUI roms:

Nexus One
Nexus S
GSM Desire
GSM Desire HD

If your phone isn't one of these, you're waiting on someone from MIUI-Dev or XDA to take one of these 4 and hack it to work on your phone.

So far, the only Gingerbread rom seems to be the Nexus S - looks like Mark wasn't right when he said the 18th would see GB N1/Desire roms.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Nerobro posted:

As long as you have a 2GB+ microSD card and an adapter to use it in a computer lying around, you can run both.

Nookdevs instructions to burn an image to an SD card
xda thread CM7 with experimental BT support

Just follow the instructions in the 1st link but use the image file from xda. It is a really simple process and after the SD card is setup, you just boot the Nook Color with the SD card in it to use CM7 and boot it with the SD card ejected to use your on-board OS. Thats all there is to it.

If you want Market/Google apps on CM7, you will have to run these steps (that involve adb), but you should be able to test your keyboard to see if it is worth the effort without that. If it works well, you could either continue setting up the SD card, or think about installing CM7 on the actual device.

Edit:
I currently have the default software on the device just because I have been too lazy to flash CM7 to it (and have been hoping that 3.0 AOSP is released so I can play with it before I go through the hassle). Running CM7 off the SD card is pretty smooth - even before overclocking it to 925MHz in the CM7 settings. I have only used the BT to attach an external GPS and it worked, but the range was only a couple inches.

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 18, 2011

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

As far as MIUI Gingerbread on the EVO goes, one of the devs says it's up and running pretty much. Just going through its testing phases.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Skeezy posted:

As far as MIUI Gingerbread on the EVO goes, one of the devs says it's up and running pretty much. Just going through its testing phases.

Hell yes. Thank you

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

traslin posted:

Not sure about longpress, but you can change the settings of the dialer to put dial buttons on the right side of all the contacts. In preferences within dialer in the "call log" section, there is an option for "show dial button."

You can do this, but it's not necessary. You can just tap on the colored arrow on the right side that shows if the call was incoming, outgoing, or missed and that will call that number as well. I like that way since there's more room to see call details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Droid here running CM6 rooted. Is CM7 nightly the way to go now? I see a lot of people saying they run CM7.

Also, do I just download and replace the update.zip on my storage card with CM7 and reboot the phone?

And with each nightly build do you guys just reflash your phones or something?

the fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 18, 2011