Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
One steel legion commissar.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1490651&prodId=prod1140113

Always check the GW collectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SRM posted:

:siren:Attention Helldiver!:siren:

Your face tutorial is awesome. Is your technique for painting bare skin basically the same? I just got my Catachans for April's oath in the mail today, and I'm lookin' for some pointers :madmax:

Funny you should mention this, because I've just started painting my Catachan and I can post pictures of a couple WIP here in a few hours.

Essentially yes. Except to get some more separation around the muscles you can take some watered down dark flesh/terracotta and paint really thin lines in the muscle recesses. Catachan are actually pretty tricky to do skin on, and it taking me a little bit of time to get back into the groove of it.

Either way, I'll post some pictures like I said and point out how I did a few things on them.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Flipswitch posted:

This is one thing I was actually going to ask my local GW, where to can you pick up some of the Steel Legion models such as the Commissar? I've been making a series of masked up guardsmen and the only model in my army that doesn't have a mask of sorts is the Commissar (I'm using the Krieg forgeworld model for my Lord), where to can you get the models from?

For some reason there's no links to it on the site anymore, but this is the full list of all Guard models that are available if you're having trouble finding anything else: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/listProducts.jsp?catId=cat180002

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Flipswitch posted:

Steel Legion Commissar?
The collector's section on the GW site has them. I got mine as part of a huge trade with a guy on Dakka.

Hell Diver posted:

Funny you should mention this, because I've just started painting my Catachan and I can post pictures of a couple WIP here in a few hours.

Essentially yes. Except to get some more separation around the muscles you can take some watered down dark flesh/terracotta and paint really thin lines in the muscle recesses. Catachan are actually pretty tricky to do skin on, and it taking me a little bit of time to get back into the groove of it.

Either way, I'll post some pictures like I said and point out how I did a few things on them.

Bitchin. Looking forward to em!

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
I would kill for some early-edition SPACE ORKS.

The reason is because some early SPACE ORKS apparently wore power armor. But not like Mega-Nobz, Power armor much like the Terran Marine armor from Starcraft. If thats not awesome, I dont know what is.

Im intrested in having 3d-prints of 28mm figures, is such a thing possible? I been poking around and the only ones I have seen are apparently 28mm starcraft figures. Just the idea of making a 3d mesh and having it deliverd to your door is all kinds of awesome

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Hell Diver posted:

thank you for this, I got used to cadians and just got my first box of Catachans in like 10 years the other day, the muscles were killing me.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Milkbags posted:

Anyone know where I can dig up some papercraft or paper doodads to cut out with cardstock and littler the battlefeild with? Stuff like easy to assemble bunkers or even crates and all that

Wizards of the Coast actually put a few nice ones up years ago on their D&D page: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fpm/archive

I also found a few other websites that might be of use for free cardstock terrain:
http://www.davesgames.net/wfrp2/
http://www.ss42.com/pt-buildings.html

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Aranan posted:

Wizards of the Coast actually put a few nice ones up years ago on their D&D page: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fpm/archive

I also found a few other websites that might be of use for free cardstock terrain:
http://www.davesgames.net/wfrp2/
http://www.ss42.com/pt-buildings.html

Quite honestly thoose are very good terrain peices to the point of where I may at one point decide to go ahead and buy some of theese, Free and newbie-freindly stuff is preferable.

I had this one site that had stuff like M.A.S.H. units contsructed in white cargo containers, but sadly I didnt bookmark it :smith: If by chance I do find it I will post it here, or on anouther thread if theres one for paper models. I have a feeling I am asking the right question in the wrong place

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
My brushes came :sbahj:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Milkbags posted:

Quite honestly thoose are very good terrain peices to the point of where I may at one point decide to go ahead and buy some of theese, Free and newbie-freindly stuff is preferable.

I had this one site that had stuff like M.A.S.H. units contsructed in white cargo containers, but sadly I didnt bookmark it :smith: If by chance I do find it I will post it here, or on anouther thread if theres one for paper models. I have a feeling I am asking the right question in the wrong place

I'm not sure if you're thinking the stuff I showed off was for sale, but it is all free. Just download the PDFs, print it on cardstock paper, glue it together and ta-da.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
:siren: Aw right, here we go. Once again they're lovely cellphone pics of early stage models, but the skin is pretty much the one thing done so I can point that out.

Anyhow, first up is my Marbo showing off the basecoat. In this case I started with Dark Flesh, mainly to help the later color application.

Next up my RTO shows off Layer 2, where I've applied tanned flesh and only let the smallest of slivers of dark flesh show through.

Then an officer and a sniper to illustrate the finished skin tone and my camo pattern a little better.

Couple other shots showing the officer's skin off a bit better. This is just an application of Dwarf flesh with highlights from dwarf mixed with white. I don't have elf flesh here, but I'd normally use that. Careful to not go overboard on the elf flesh because they shouldn't really look pale.

Another picture of my sniper. He's got camo pattern painted on with just really thinned black, with a slight greycoat grey highlight.

Bonus extremely grainy close-up of the camo pattern.

- It was done by painting the pants Catachan (or Cayman) green as a basecoat.

- I then painted on random stripes with black, Camo Green, and Bootstrap Leather. After that's done I give the whole area a Devlan Mud wash to help blend it together.

- After that I go back and highlight each strip slightly. I would normally use Rotting Flesh for the camo green, but in this case I just added bleached bone to the Leather and Green, and a little darkened Shadow Grey on the stripes.

- Finally I went back through with Badab Black and painted back into the folds and along the pockets to help separate them and give the whole thing a bit more depth again.

It seems a little complex, but it looks a lot more realistic than the studio brown splotch camo, and as an Army dude it really bugs me when you've got lovely camo (See also: ACUs)

I've still got a ton more to do on them: weathering, gear, etc. so stay tuned for actual finished pictures in the near future. Either way, it's nice to not have be painting gray marines for a change, and also to go for a little bit more realistic of a scheme from the big bold armor.

E: More pictures of the snipah.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 17, 2011

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The catachan arms just look too silly for me. Are even the new ones in the command squad boxes that comically oversized?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Bhyo posted:

The catachan arms just look too silly for me. Are even the new ones in the command squad boxes that comically oversized?

Those... are from the new set. :ohdear:

To be fair, though, they're not as bulging as the regular older ones.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Deathworld regiments issue synthol to all their soldiers.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Hell Diver posted:

Bonus extremely grainy close-up of the camo pattern soldier crotch.

You've been away too long.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You've been away too long.

We all see what we want to see, weirdo.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Hell Diver posted:

We all see what we want to see, weirdo.

I'm just saying I like catachans too.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
That dude in the carapace sports bra needs throwing away.

The camo is great though, love the sniper.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Miles O'Brian posted:

That dude in the carapace sports bra needs throwing away.

I really dislike that body because it's stuck in that static pose with the body armor and no undershirt look. The strangest part is that he's got a cloth collar like he's wearing a jacket, but nothing around his mid-section. So either he's wearing a half-shirt or the the armor has a random cloth collar attached to it.

It's pretty baffling, and I doubt I'll end up using him at all. I've got more than enough metal officer models.

I actually just started painting him first because I was interested to see how it looked after I had worked on it some.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 17, 2011

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SRM posted:

The collector's section

Buffalo squeeze posted:

GW collectors.

ghetto wormhole posted:

For some reason there's no links to it on the site anymore, but this is the full list of all Guard models that are available if you're having trouble finding anything else: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/listProducts.jsp?catId=cat180002
Didn't even think of looking there, cheers gents.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hell Diver posted:

:madmax:
Awesome dude, this is going to make my Catachans look boss. Tanned Flesh seems to be out of production - would Tallarn Flesh suffice? The swatches don't look too similar on the GW site.

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest
I'm a dumbass for staying up this late to paint but I've completed the bulk of the my March Oath. This is the first full squad I've ever painted, much less painted and Based. I'm quite happy that they're done though.

And this is my irongob wheeee heee

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

They look good. Nice work, man.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Now I want pumpkin pie.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Working on a test model for my Dark Eldar. I'm a little perturbed because I had the dribblings at the end of a pot of Mechrite Red, which is super thick, chalky and has phenomenal coverage. I opened up a new pot of Mechrite I bought to replace it, and the red inside is this super watery, more magenta batch that's a lot closer to Scab Red. So now I'm not sure, because the only reason I liked painting Red over black primer so much is that with great foundation coverage it's very painless. This new pot is going to take me like three coats whereas my old paint would do it in one.

Anywho, struggling with learning the settings on a new camera. Here's the test model I painted.

using as inspiration

I need opinions on the base. It's currently Charadon Granite with a lighter grey drybrush, then Ash-wastes flock over the top. The rim is graveyard earth or whatever the corresponding foundation is called, not sure if I like it. The Ash wastes flock REALLY doesn't like PVA glue, and this mini is using superglue which didn't go much better I'm afraid.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

frest posted:

I opened up a new pot of Mechrite I bought to replace it, and the red inside is this super watery, more magenta batch that's a lot closer to Scab Red.

I'm sure you already did this, but shake the gently caress out of that thing. Your pigment's probably just settled.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Found this beauty on Advanced Tau Tactica

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Could use a little drybrushing.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

pw pw pw posted:

Tubtau!

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I like how he is propelled into the air by a jet of poo poo.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
Looks like I might still need someone to do some painting for me.
Anyone else US based taking commissions?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Chenghiz posted:

I like how he is propelled into the air by a jet of poo poo.

Oh ok, so this is where this is from about the specter. The table top game subforum is so meta. :sigh:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Oh ok, so this is where this is from about the specter. The table top game subforum is so meta. :sigh:
I literally have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm also okay with that.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

pw pw pw posted:

This little dude looks like he should be Disney's "The Black Hole"

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SRM posted:

Awesome dude, this is going to make my Catachans look boss. Tanned Flesh seems to be out of production - would Tallarn Flesh suffice? The swatches don't look too similar on the GW site.

No, it's a little more of a cold tone. I think the Vallejo equivalent that I use is just called Tan.

Here's you go: http://www.thewarstore.com/product43679.html

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hell Diver posted:

No, it's a little more of a cold tone. I think the Vallejo equivalent that I use is just called Tan.

Here's you go: http://www.thewarstore.com/product43679.html

Okay, cool. There's a bitchin hobby store about an hour from me that has this and the dullcote stuff I need to get, so I'll pick it up before I start working on my Catachans. Thanks!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Milkbags posted:

The reason is because some early SPACE ORKS apparently wore power armor. But not like Mega-Nobz, Power armor much like the Terran Marine armor from Starcraft. If thats not awesome, I dont know what is.

Like these?

(top two rows)

(middle row)

These are from the 1991 Citadel Blue Catalogue, you can have a poke around it and more here.

e: I can practically hear Bionik Eye saying "Zog, it's about toime."

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 19, 2011

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Edit; whoops, wrong thread

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 19, 2011

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

adamantium|wang posted:

Like these?

(top two rows)

(middle row)

These are from the 1991 Citadel Blue Catalogue, you can have a poke around it and more here.

e: I can practically hear Bionik Eye saying "Zog, it's about toime."

Yes, Yes and a thousand times Yes. drat theese guys look badass. Would I by any chance be able to find some prefferably unpainted RT Spaceorks for a relitivly affordable price or would I be expected to pay upwards of say, 30-50$ for just one? "Yagh wan a peice o dis 'ere, grot?" "WAAAGH 'n Roll!"

Any tips for speedpainting or assembling? I want to fully assemble my army by tommarow and I need to construct 4 boyz, not to mention touch up a bit on my Assault on Black Reach boys who are tragicly incomplete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

pw pw pw posted:

It's a Crisis Poot!

• Locked thread