Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

i don't understand this graph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

just a box and whisker + outliers i guess

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i'll tell you what length does fluctuate though,

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

tom collins posts?

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
regretfully, yes

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Laptop_dust.jpg

Full resolution‎ (2,986 × 1,114 pixels, file size: 483 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
The dust on the laptop CPU heat sink after three years of use has made the laptop unusable due frequent thermal shutdowns. By Audrius Meskauskas, Audriusa 13:25, 30 January 2006 (UTC)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

need pics of girls in tank tops? 13 of them right here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeveless_shirt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey look mayim bialik ran into a door

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
that's a tubetop idiot

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

welp, I better go look it up on Wikipedia, the Free encyclopedia that anyone can edit

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

got dat wmd posted:

that's a tubetop idiot
Tubetops#In_Anime

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

tuburutopuu~~~~

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
RapeLay also has a "nakadashi" (internal ejaculation) counter, which carries a danger of pregnancy.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

quote:

Even if your work ends up being better suited to using Unicode and XeTeX (and in the long run LuaTeX may end up superior here too, it also supports OpenType), it is still better than the latex -> dvi -> ps/pdf model.

I sense a great deal of hostility here about a build cycle that TeX users have used, and with great success, for more than a decade. While it may be true that pdftex works for your needs --- many apparent further above --- it is in no way clear that it is appropriate in the scenario given, where pdflatex seems to be exhibiting its intrinsic difficulties and gyrations. If Lonely Bridge is trying to make it work (and that, it sounds, in short order), and has a working Postscript file, then ps2pdf is likely the shortest error-free path if PDf is needed.

quote:

This is only sort of true. There are reasons to use the dvi -> ps -> pdf route, but they are pretty isolated and can lead to some problems. In particular some packages only work this way, such as pstricks. This is because they include literal Postscript code so a direct to PDF won't work...

There's a big reason that this document build path hasn't been removed from the world: Because the other doesn't necessarily work. Every negative point that you've made about DVI/PS applies to PDf as well (and you conveniently missed dvipdfm in your discussion). PDf specials can be included within, rather, transported through, Postscript files, producing your aforementioned clickable links, and all other manners of PDf madness. Errors with images abound with any input type, as neither system supports all image types natively.

In fact, the biggest problem is that which you've pointed out above: PDf doesn't support Postscript. There are documents that PDf cannot render. There are things that can be done easily in Postscript (and with xypic, pstricks, Metapost and other Meta-applications, all of which are very powerful applications due to the sheer man-hours invested in their development) which would require significantly more work in pdflatex. I have PS documents that are smaller than their PDf equivalents, and gzipped Postscript that's a good dozen times smaller still. For all the sound and fury PDf has going for it, Postscript is often the better choice for designs intended for print.

A priori, very specific tasks may benefit from one build path over the other, but it's also clear that Lonely Bridge is trying to solve a problem, not redo the entire paper. A posteriori, one knows that the TeX world is vast and diverse, with users creating documents and typeset beauty in what, to others, must appear "the most difficult way". A tempo, TeX users should probably just stick with what works and realize that their earlier decisions have heavily influenced their knowledge of the systems therein, and that any change will require the next learning curve to be attacked. That might require the discomfort of going to a document format that is more supported in the present, but, for most people, I expect that will require the discomfort of realizing that most people have chosen the path of least resistance and it will work only in 90% of cases, and progressing much beyond that will require a strong understanding of the firm foundations on which the systems are built, along with a keen practice of more things that look less like the written word and more like "arcane programming languages".

compuserved fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 19, 2011

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

quote:

You never view PDFs in your browser?

You never should. Get yourself a nice Postscript viewer.

compuserved fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 19, 2011

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
mad mad mad about file formats

arghfist
Nov 4, 2009

B-smooth posted:

that's no lady ;)

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

amazing observational skills. :)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

B-smooth posted:

slowly growing smug with a beard made of little smugs

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
let's sperg the gently caress OUT about a mediocre sci fi channel miniseries from 2007

e this loving talk page

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Shoelace, left
Description: Unknown
Power: Unknown
Last known location: Unknown

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_mode

lol

was this adjusted for time zone diffs

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

I like the blurb, but does it really belong at the top of the page as the FIRST introduction to these glorious and fascinating objects?
   /
:shepface:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

when i watched that a second time it was way worse than i remembered it being

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The usage of the term "Welcome to Macintosh", and not Welcome to The Macintosh was intentional.[citation needed] In this case Macintosh is a Proper Noun, reflecting Apple's belief that Macintosh is a sentient being, so he should be referred to as if he were a person: For example, "Let me introduce you to Michael." Not, "Let me introduce you to the Michael."

Further evidence of the Mac's sentience is the Happy Mac icon that is first to appear when a Mac is powered on, which then progressed into the Mac logo of the 1990s.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

9 Fingerprint? MacGuffins?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Luigi Thirty posted:

The usage of the term "Welcome to Macintosh", and not Welcome to The Macintosh was intentional.[citation needed] In this case Macintosh is a Proper Noun, reflecting Apple's belief that Macintosh is a sentient being, so he should be referred to as if he were a person: For example, "Let me introduce you to Michael." Not, "Let me introduce you to the Michael."

Restart iPhone

To restart iPhone, first turn iPhone off by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until a red slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider and iPhone will turn off after a few moments.

Next, turn iPhone on by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
Press and hold sleep/wake button
Is iPhone not responding? To reset iPhone, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
In addition to your examples, I have to ask about Professor Frink being classified as an Atheist. Is it just because he's a scientist and many members of the scientific community are atheistic? I'll have you know that there are many true men of science who are religious. Supernerd 10 20:37, 31 March 2007 (UTC)

Frink may be atheist or deist. In The Monkey Suit he indicates God could be reconciled with evolution, but that this would make God powerless. At the same time he is clearly a pro-evolution speaker in the case. Also his attitude of "could" seemed skeptical of the notion an intelligent person could believe in a God that has any actual power. However I said "atheist or deist" as the idea of a non-intervening deity is not treated by him one way or the other. The mobsters and Quimby being Catholic seems to be mostly based on who they are based on. No one is recognized as Catholic, except one-off characters, and for unknown reasons Catholicism in the Simpsons never had a Second Vatican Council. (Catholics all still pray in Latin, practice more intense forms of fasting, etc)--T. Anthony 10:10, 20 April 2007 (UTC)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
serious question: how can anyone seriously argue anything should be deleted from wikipedia for "non-notability"

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

serious question: how can anyone seriously argue anything should be deleted from wikipedia for "non-notability"

That's a valid question RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

tripwire posted:

That's a valid question RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS.

ty

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

The usage of the term "Welcome to Macintosh", and not Welcome to The Macintosh was intentional.[citation needed] In this case Macintosh is a Proper Noun, reflecting Apple's belief that Macintosh is a sentient being, so he should be referred to as if he were a person
loving sexists

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

loving sexists

i cannot believe i just used the pronoun 'xe' but it's wiki "corrections" so i dont have too much to worry

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard
Found this while surfing the scotch Wikipedia. I am surprised it doesn't have an anime article yet.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

lucky13pjn posted:

Found this while surfing the scotch Wikipedia. I am surprised it doesn't have an anime article yet.

what language is that

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard

Nevergirls posted:

what language is that

old english

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lucky13pjn posted:

http://ang.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocc:Anime

even our englisc is not safe from animes

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
there should be an engrish wikipedia. illustrated entirely with animes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hammerite posted:

there should be an engrish wikipedia. illustrated entirely with animes.

http://en.wikipedia.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

Anime is Japanese for "Animation", or cartoons. In some places, the term anime refers to Japanese Animation or Animation similar in style to Japanese Animation. But in Japan, anime means all animation in general. This article is about Japanese animation.

The filmmakers in Japan did not have a lot of money to make their movies and not a lot of places where they could film their movies. The people that the filmmakers could use as actors in their movies was also a problem for making Japanese movies. Japanese people look different from people in other places in the world, and it was hard for filmmakers to make a movie about places other than Japan with Japanese actors. Movie makers liked animation because then they could have animator draw other places and people that could not be filmed in a normal movie, and the animators could be very creative with the cartoons they made.

Very popular stories in anime and manga are often translated into other languages, and the words used in the anime or manga will be put into another language where they mean the same thing. That way, people who live outside of Japan and who do not understand Japanese (the language used for dialogue in anime and manga in Japan) can also understand the stories. If a manga or anime is not translated by a company in another country, sometimes people in that country will translate the story to share with other people for free before a company translates it for the general public.

edit:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_convention

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 20, 2011