Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That wears off eventually though if you get out of retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

Who the hell designs this poo poo, and for what reason other than essentially degrading the visual presence of their workforce?

The worst uniform I ever had to wear was the one they introduced while I worked at my first ever job in a small town supermarket. There wasn't a standard uniform for guys, just black trousers, white shirt and company tie. The deli people had the aprons and the hats and the female supervisors had suit jackets, they looked smart. So all was well, until they decided the guys needed some specific uniform too. Imagine our faces as we arrived one day and were handed a full-length grey coat. It was horrible cheap material, went down to your ankles and was the most awful depressing grey colour. It was completely impractical and everyone hated them. Endless customers commented about how depressing they looked. I have no clue who possibly thought they were a good idea.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Where I am now is one of the absurdly few retail places where I genuinely like all my employees. The manager, who sucks in most ways, did a really good job of hiring these kids. Apart from a few screw-ups, like the one I mentioned the other day, they're a sold team and good workers. Now, some of the people we have to call in from other stores when we get low on help... THEY are terrible.

My company uniform is slacks and a company polo with the most hosed up sizing system I've ever seen. Seriously, I normally wear a XL-2XL in daily life, depending on the brand of the shirt. I wear a 4XL in the store shirt. Anything else is either way too tight or way too short. Even this shirt is absurdly short, and unless company is coming, I tuck in my undershirt and leave my polo un-tucked if I'm doing something physical, because otherwise it will come out in the back the instant I kneel down to work on something. Otherwise, as a manager, my only option is to wear a shirt and tie, and gently caress messing up some actual nice clothes for this goddamn company...

TShields fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 18, 2011

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
Working with food, I wear a kind of while labcoat style thing over whatever I like. Surprisingly, it's actually not bad at all. Now, the girls have to wear these horrible black and grey checked aprons. At least I have pockets on my 'uniform'.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Luquos posted:

Working with food, I wear a kind of while labcoat style thing over whatever I like. Surprisingly, it's actually not bad at all. Now, the girls have to wear these horrible black and grey checked aprons. At least I have pockets on my 'uniform'.

Not having pockets would be like suicide to me. I need my comfort items.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Trast posted:

That is up there with answering your home phone with your basic "Thank you for calling Generic Widgets my name is Trast" line that has been burned into your brain. :suicide:

Oh god I've done that too. Then there's the long silence...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Back from a worktrip, nothing really special happened but I have to say to customers who speak Spanish:

While I may flub up and not say "I don't speak Spanish" and "I don't work here" properly in Spanish, I've been insulted enough in Spanish to know when you are poo poo talking me cause I'm not bilingual :argh:

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

TShields posted:

Where I am now is one of the absurdly few retail places where I genuinely like all my employees. The manager, who sucks in most ways, did a really good job of hiring these kids. Apart from a few screw-ups, like the one I mentioned the other day, they're a sold team and good workers. Now, some of the people we have to call in from other stores when we get low on help... THEY are terrible.
Totally, totally understand this. I once worked at a Big Giant Books location that had the best employees; most of them were grandfathered in from a time when the hiring manager was worth a drat and corporate policy was not totally retarded, and my colleagues were reliable, knowledgeable and generally a pleasure to work with.

We were a tiny store, though, and sometimes we had to call one of the other Big Giant locations in the same district if they had a title and we didn't. One store featured a GM who did not have a lick of sense and everyone knew it, and she had a habit of hiring the worst kind of ignorant mouth-breather as floor staff. I used to dread calling that place because the person who picked up the phone was liable to be an illiterate goober who needed to be talked through the most basic aspects of the search software. I never thought I'd say this, but I felt bad for their customers.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Me answering the phone "Hello"

him - "Ya do you have a calculator?"

Me - "Nah man we dont sell calculators..."

Him - "nah do you have one?"

Me - "umm yes?"

Him - "Can you add this up for me.."

Me cutting him off - "Are you serious?? Get a paper and some pen"

Weirdest phone call ever...this is a convienence store why the gently caress would you call me to punch numbers into a calculator and what makes you think I would?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Nosaj posted:

"Are you serious?? Get a paper and some pen"

Weirdest phone call ever...this is a convienence store why the gently caress would you call me to punch numbers into a calculator and what makes you think I would?
That's not very... convenient. :downsrim:

Speaking of WTF phone calls, I did get this one a few weeks ago:
:zombie:: "Yes, hello, I was hoping you could look up <a competitor's> phone number for me, I can't seem to find it."
:v:: "I can, but was there something that I might be able to help you with? We offer a lot of the same services."
:zombie: "Well, when I bought my computer, the whole experience made me constipated. I wanted to see if they would pay for my laxative because I had to go buy some last night."
:v:: "Uh, right. Here's their number."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I really hate the bullshit "Customer Service Number" that they compute for each department. I think it's a combination of call box response time + customer survey score + phone answering response time.

So for the past few weeks I've watched as our number slowly falls. We're down to 3.10 out of 4 and anything below 3.5 is bad.

The reason for this is that there is only 1 of us scheduled for the entire electronics, media, home improvement, automotive, stationary, seasonal, and kids bedding section of the store which covers quite some distance. So if I'm at one end of the store helping a customer and the phone is ringing, I don't hear it. If I'm at the same end of the store and the electronics call box goes off, I usually can't get there until the 2nd of 3 calls go out.

The worst part though is that I provide excellent customer service. I don't mean to pat myself on the back or anything but when asked where something is, most of my coworkers give an aisle number and that's it. I on the other hand walk the customer to the aisle, ask if they need any more help or have any questions, and then go from there. The other day I read a good section of a house phones manual because a customer had a very specific question I wanted to answer for her. She even went to a manager afterward and commended me and I got a little piece of paper saying how great I was, but this doesn't affect our customer service score AT ALL. I provide that kind of customer service and I can tell that they all appreciate it but the only time anyone remembers to hang onto their receipt and then go online and fill out the survey is if they feel wronged for some ridiculous reason.

Like the other week I had a lady that wanted me to call EVERY other store in the area to double check the stock numbers in the computer. Normally I would have no problem doing this but at this time we were very busy and I had people lined up around the counter needing help so I told her I was sorry but I couldn't and then I provided her with a list of the stores phone numbers so that she could check herself. This week our score dropped another .1, probably from that bitch.

So it's really bullshit and I hate it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
My favorite moron phone call came back when I worked at Tower Records:

:cool:: HI, thanks for calling Tower, how can I help you?

:downs:: Yeah, Hi, I'm looking for a CD, can you look it up?

:cool:: Of course! What's the artist and title?

:downs:: Oh, I'm looking for the original cast recording of [old broadway musical] from 1954

:cool:: I'm... not seeing that anywhere in our system but...

:downs:: Noooo! Really? You don't have it? how can you not-

:cool:: But, we do have the soundtrack for the movie version that was produced a few years later. Do you want me to pull that for you?

:downs:: The... Movie soundtrack? What?

:cool:: Yes Ma'am, they made a movie of the musical in question, and we have the soundtrack from that in stock.

:downs:: The soundtrack... does it have... music and singing and stuff?

:cool:: No ma'am, just dialogue and sound effects.

*click*

The only good thing about working at Tower was that standards were so low we could be complete jerks to anyone that deserved it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've had a situation crop up from the other side of the fence and I figured I'd ask retail folks if my anger is justified (don't worry, I haven't yelled at anyone...yet).

A month ago I bought a home theater system (by components, not HTiaB) at Best Buy and went with their Geek Squad installation because while it is probably overpriced, I have zero knowledge about running wires and my wife isn't willing to let her walls be the guinea pigs for me learning that stuff, so I really don't want to argue about that aspect.

Anyhow, the subwoofer was on back-order so we set the installation date for today, a full month after the purchase date.

Now fast forward to Wednesday, when I get an automated call reminding me about my service appointment Friday. Wait... I set it up for Saturday because I have to work during the week. So I call and apparently this was just a glitch. Thursday I get a call confirming for Saturday, so I assume all is well. The arrival window is between 8 and 12.

Today, I get a call at 11:45, not from the tech that was supposed to come out, but from a customer service person at the store I purchased everything from. Apparently the subwoofer is still on back-order, but she's going to make some calls and see what's up. She was also shocked that the tech didn't call me to let me know.

Here is where I stand. It is not Best Buy's fault the sub is back-ordered; poo poo happens. However, I feel Best buy completely dropped the ball with regards to communicating that to me. At the absolute minimum I feel the tech should have called when he arrived at the store and all of my order wasn't ready to go. More to the point, though, I feel I should have been called Thursday or Friday when the sub wasn't showing up with a delivery date. To make matters worse, the girl that did call said she'd get back to me this afternoon, but when I finally broke down and called the store, the person I spoke to said she'd made a note to call me back Monday.

I've essentially wasted an entire day (and a gorgeous one at that), first waiting for a delivery that was never going to show up, then waiting for a phone call that was never going to come. Again, it's not that the sub is back-ordered that is pissing me off, it's that no one wants to give me any information of any kind. Would it be unfair of me to voice my complaints Monday when either someone from Best Buy calls me or I have to call them?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
They have this thing called "My Publix, My Part" which is basically where if you get caught doing "your part", you get a voucher for a free lunch. Each time after that, you get something bigger, usually gift cards upwards of $100. I hate this loving thing because no one ever notices when I'm going above and beyond the call of duty, but the laziest cashiers and baggers, who NEVER DO THEIR JOB, are getting $25 Publix gift cards and vouchers out the ying-yang.
I know that you shouldn't do things with the expectations of getting something out of it, and that's not why I do it. I do it because I genuinely enjoy helping people. But sometimes it's nice to be called out when you're doing a great job. How come I am invisible.
On top of that, things have been extremely awkward lately because someone I thought was my friend keeps avoiding me, and we've been working together a lot lately. She intentionally avoids eye contact with me, which is kind of hilarious in a way, because if I look at her to say hi, she immediately freezes up and turns away. I'm not sure what I did but hell if I care anymore.
Hate this job.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

silversiren posted:

I know that you shouldn't do things with the expectations of getting something out of it, and that's not why I do it. I do it because I genuinely enjoy helping people. But sometimes it's nice to be called out when you're doing a great job. How come I am invisible.

I'd bet that said lazy cashiers are friends of the manager, who doesn't give a poo poo about actually rewarding good work, they just want to give their buddies free stuff that's sanctioned by the company. In most retail situations, you really should assume the worst.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'd bet that said lazy cashiers are friends of the manager, who doesn't give a poo poo about actually rewarding good work, they just want to give their buddies free stuff that's sanctioned by the company. In most retail situations, you really should assume the worst.

A thousand times this. It's clearly no coincidence that the sales associate with the most hours every week is also the one that's the manager's #1 smoking buddy.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I've had a situation crop up from the other side of the fence and I figured I'd ask retail folks if my anger is justified (don't worry, I haven't yelled at anyone...yet).

A month ago I bought a home theater system (by components, not HTiaB) at Best Buy and went with their Geek Squad installation because while it is probably overpriced, I have zero knowledge about running wires and my wife isn't willing to let her walls be the guinea pigs for me learning that stuff, so I really don't want to argue about that aspect.

Anyhow, the subwoofer was on back-order so we set the installation date for today, a full month after the purchase date.

Now fast forward to Wednesday, when I get an automated call reminding me about my service appointment Friday. Wait... I set it up for Saturday because I have to work during the week. So I call and apparently this was just a glitch. Thursday I get a call confirming for Saturday, so I assume all is well. The arrival window is between 8 and 12.

Today, I get a call at 11:45, not from the tech that was supposed to come out, but from a customer service person at the store I purchased everything from. Apparently the subwoofer is still on back-order, but she's going to make some calls and see what's up. She was also shocked that the tech didn't call me to let me know.

Here is where I stand. It is not Best Buy's fault the sub is back-ordered; poo poo happens. However, I feel Best buy completely dropped the ball with regards to communicating that to me. At the absolute minimum I feel the tech should have called when he arrived at the store and all of my order wasn't ready to go. More to the point, though, I feel I should have been called Thursday or Friday when the sub wasn't showing up with a delivery date. To make matters worse, the girl that did call said she'd get back to me this afternoon, but when I finally broke down and called the store, the person I spoke to said she'd made a note to call me back Monday.

I've essentially wasted an entire day (and a gorgeous one at that), first waiting for a delivery that was never going to show up, then waiting for a phone call that was never going to come. Again, it's not that the sub is back-ordered that is pissing me off, it's that no one wants to give me any information of any kind. Would it be unfair of me to voice my complaints Monday when either someone from Best Buy calls me or I have to call them?

You have a right to be a little pissed. I don't know how Best Buy does it, but at other retail stores, there aren't dedicated people that sit and answer the phone. Where I work, when someone calls customer service, it's a cashier that picks up, usually with people in their line. If you're ringing people through and you take a call and write a note, you might forget to hand it to whomever or it could get lost in the chaos.

As for the techs, I don't know what their workload is. I know where I work, we're completely swamped right now, people are spending their tax money on everything and we've got an absurd amount of work, we just don't have the time to check every work order. Where I work, when a part is back-ordered, we don't get notified when it comes in. We have to manually check for it, which doesn't always happen. If Best Buy is the same way, the techs have to check every day if the part came in. If they're overloaded with work, that may get overlooked. If it's going to be delayed, it could very well be overlooked, much less you getting notified. I'm thinking the techs just looked, saw the subwoofer wasn't in yet, and left it at that.

If they have a normal workload, there's no excuse for not keeping on top of things and keeping the customer in the loop. Some retail places (like mine) are understaffed, and with the crazy purchases lately, there just isn't time to hit everything.

I'm dealing with this situation now actually. I'm the only tech on tomorrow from 10-6. Because we're understaffed, I have to double as a salesguy if it gets crowded (it will). I've got 6 computers due tomorrow that are only halfway done. I've got 8 due Monday that haven't even been started yet. As it is, I'm going to have to call customers during my break to tell them it's going to be an extra day or two. My Sunday responsibilites are:

- Tech work (fixing and setting up computers, we've got about 40 computers in the bins as of tonight, they're all due within a week), this is top priority, as it is my job description to do this, but I'll maybe get an hour or two over the entire 8-hour shift to do this. It's going to be in 5-minute increments before I have to go out on the salesfloor again.

- Sales. Sunday is the day that the new deals start, and that's when everyone is out to shop. We have a grand total of 3 sales guys on tomorrow. There's always a queue of people waiting to speak to a sales guy. Usually a sales guy has the person he's dealing with, and 2 more on deck. I work in a pretty big store, and pretty much anything over $50 is in lockup, which needs a manager to get into. This isn't even counting the general questions people have. If there gets to be more than 3 people per salesman, I have to step out and do sales. Because I always have a line of people waiting to talk to me, it's hard to get out once you start. I have to redirect customers to another sales guy if I want to get back to tech work (again, I am a tech, that's supposed to be my only job).

- Ringing. Cashiers double as office supply and general labor guys. If there's no one in their line, they're out back unloading a shipment or something. One person usually stays cashiering, if they get more than 3 people in line they call for backup. If a cashier/office supply/general labor guy is busy, they can't cashier. They're doing everything from helping people find stuff, to unloading shipments (which come in on Sunday of course), to carrying stuff out to customer's cars. There's maybe a 30% chance they're available to ring at any given time. I think we have 3 of these people on tomorrow. 1 of which is a trainee. So, I'm going to have to cashier if for some reason I'm not doing sales.

We're just so understaffed it isn't funny. Everyone has at least 3 duties they have to juggle. It's easier for the sales or office supply guys as they can easily jump from cashiering to answering questions. I have tech work to do in the office, every time I get called out I lose my train of thought and forget what I was doing.

I'm ready to take an hours cut to get another job. Even though I'm a tech, I make the same wage as the sales guys, and only $1.50 more than the cashiers. I've got a good amount of experience and schooling under my belt, but that doesn't mean poo poo I guess. I'm looking to work at a local used bookstore maybe, they pay the same wage.

Fake edit: I forgot about answering phones. As I said earlier, customer service questions go to the cashiers, who are always doing something. Tech or sales questions go to the salesmen or myself, who are also always doing something. Given that it's Sunday, people want to see what's in stock. The phones are usually ringing off the hook. If a phonecall in the queue isn't answered within a minute, all phones in the store start ringing. You have to pick up the phone and put the person back in the queue, at which point you have another minute before all phones start ringing again. I've seen the managers simply hang up on people when there's just too much. If there's 5 people in the queue and everyone's tied up, they're just going to hang up on you instead of micro-managing the phones so they don't ring all over the store driving the customers nuts. For whatever reason, corporate decided phone calls are very important, so you can't not answer a queued call or put someone on hold for more than a few minutes before all phones in the store start ringing again. The hope is that if people get hung up on, they'll just drive to the store instead of calling. At least in the store we can tell them it'll be a few minutes before we can help them.

Raere fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 20, 2011

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Raere posted:

You have a right to be a little pissed. I don't know how Best Buy does it, but at other retail stores, there aren't dedicated people that sit and answer the phone. Where I work, when someone calls customer service, it's a cashier that picks up, usually with people in their line. If you're ringing people through and you take a call and write a note, you might forget to hand it to whomever or it could get lost in the chaos.

As for the techs, I don't know what their workload is. I know where I work, we're completely swamped right now, people are spending their tax money on everything and we've got an absurd amount of work, we just don't have the time to check every work order. Where I work, when a part is back-ordered, we don't get notified when it comes in. We have to manually check for it, which doesn't always happen. If Best Buy is the same way, the techs have to check every day if the part came in. If they're overloaded with work, that may get overlooked. If it's going to be delayed, it could very well be overlooked, much less you getting notified. I'm thinking the techs just looked, saw the subwoofer wasn't in yet, and left it at that.

If they have a normal workload, there's no excuse for not keeping on top of things and keeping the customer in the loop. Some retail places (like mine) are understaffed, and with the crazy purchases lately, there just isn't time to hit everything.

I didn't think of it in this way, but the tech shouldn't have just "left it at that" in this situation, regardless of how overworked he may be. I know from talking to someone in the store that he called them up bitching about things not being ready to go - there was literally no reason he couldn't have hung up with them and then called me to say he wasn't going to make it. That's his job.

With regard to the phone calls, it was Best Buy that called me, and the girl I spoke to (this was not the tech, I never spoke to him) said she'd call me back and never did. I'm sure it was just a cashier I spoke to later in the day, and I didn't get irate with her because she didn't do anything. Hell, the other girl probably couldn't get in touch with anyone that could answer any questions and just forgot to call me back, but than that's kind of what this who issue is about because that seems to be what's happened at every juncture.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I wouldn't be nearly as pissed if I hadn't already paid for everything. As things stand right now, I have a surge protector and a Harmony remote that I paid several thousand dollars for because Best Buy has jacked the rest of my stuff and it's going to be a loving nightmare if they keep jerking me around, because the sale was made over a month ago so I'm sure I'm going to run into bullshit with their return policy if I start demanding a refund. I don't want to go that route, I'd rather chill out in my living room and watch some movies with surround sound, but my patience can be stretched only so far.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 20, 2011

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Worked 35 hours the past 3 days doing make up for women

"Oh is it free?"
"Do I have to buy anything?"

Seriously? You think I'm doing make up for middle aged women who live in Columbus, Ohio for my enjoyment?

I did make up for around 20 people yesterday alone and out of that half of them bought poo poo. :tipshat:

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 20, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

miscellaneous14 posted:

This is probably actually very true. I've heard that it's not like this at every Publix, I'm probably going to transfer somewhere else soon.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

SpartanIV posted:

The worst part though is that I provide excellent customer service. I don't mean to pat myself on the back or anything but when asked where something is, most of my coworkers give an aisle number and that's it. I on the other hand walk the customer to the aisle, ask if they need any more help or have any questions, and then go from there.

See that's great and all, until you get bitched at because those call buttons are going off and phones are going off and your zone aint done and little kids are pissing all over toys and registers need backup cashiers since they cut everyone's hours thanks to last years snowstorm and there's like 30 carts of reshop for every department and the guest wants the display camera that is missing every piece which requires you to call the LOD cause they are bitching for like a 75% discount who then comments on your zone looking like poo poo in the most passive aggressive way possible.

gently caress that, see, light bulbs are aisle C17, this is E, next is D then C, and its about inline with where we are standing now.

Do I sound bitter?

Oh yea, guess what this week is! Inventory! :suicide: At least I work Electronics, so I can just shift the blame on my unfinished zone to the constant stream of customers which always happens when I have to get perfect zone done.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 20, 2011

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Why does everyone think that I personally make the decision to put something on sale just to maliciously gently caress up their "excludes sale items" coupons?

Kimoosabi X
Nov 8, 2006

I used to work retail, but thankfully left that behind about a year ago. I managed a family-owned DVD rental store for about 9 years. Since it wasn't a franchise or corporate-owned, I had significantly more leeway in dealing with customers than a lot of other retail managers. This led to me behaving like a dick on a handful of occasions, but I was young and a majority of the time the customer had it coming. Still, with the store being owned by family, I couldn't exactly turn away everyone I took issue with. I still had to play nice with plenty of customers I couldn't stand, but the experience definitely taught me a lot about choosing which battles really matter in all aspects of life.

Anyhow, I have lots of stories about idiotic customers from my retail years. Keep in mind this occurred in 2008, waaaaay after DVDs had become the standard format. It was also a customer with an account that was a few years old with 100+ rentals on it.

:) (On phone): Movie Store, how can I help you?
:v:: Yeah I rented this movie from you, and it only plays for about ten seconds, then rewinds back to the beginning and repeats.
:): Huh, that's definitely weird. Bring it back in and I'll try it on the store's demo player.

So he brings it in and I take a look at the disc. Like most rentals it has some scuffs, but nothing too bad. It was the movie The Barbarian Invasions if I recall correctly. I pop it into the player, and we look up at the television as it boots up.

:v:: Ok so yeah it starts playing then.. see? Aha! It just cycles back to the beginning and doesn't go any further.
:): Well, you realize this is the menu, right? The movie hasn't actually started playing yet.
:v:: This is the menu?
:): Yeah, I mean.. there's a clip playing behind the text but you need to select "Play" right there before the movie starts.
:v:: But there's music playing!
:): Yes.. there are loads of DVD menus that have sound and visuals playing in the background.
:v:: Oh.. well that's a bit deceptive.
:): The big text that says "Play" and "Scenes" and "Setup" kind of give it away.
:v:: Well.. I won't have time to watch this tonight now so can I just return it for a credit?
:): Um.. no.

He didn't put up any argument afterward, but still. I can't figure out if he somehow forgot how DVDs work after tons of other rentals, or if he didn't like the movie and figured if he brought it back with a sad story I'd let him receive a credit. Either way, this was the one and ONLY time in the 9 years I worked there that someone confused the DVD menu with the actual film.

haybee
Nov 3, 2008
Ah, they early days of DVD. I remember when customers would get all confused about why the movie had subtitiles when the characters were already speaking english...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

TShields posted:

Why does everyone think that I personally make the decision to put something on sale just to maliciously gently caress up their "excludes sale items" coupons?

I can understand this if your last name is 'Macy' -- god they have the worst coupons. It would be easier to list the two items the coupon applies to than the long list of items that don't apply in -2pt microprint.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

TShields posted:

Or that you also personally made the decision to rearrange the items in the store. I got that all the time where I worked.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
I like that all my department's product is placed on easily moved tables, so the store manager who works during the mornings and early afternoons can move it all over the place and leave me looking like a jackass when I work my usual evening shifts and have no idea where the gently caress my own department's stuff is.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

haybee posted:

Ah, they early days of DVD. I remember when customers would get all confused about why the movie had subtitiles when the characters were already speaking english...

Or tricking people into rewinding it before they return it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Or explaining to people why they still have black bars even with their new widescreen TV.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Or explaining to people why they still have black bars even with their new widescreen TV.

A new version of this cropped up during the world cup. I was passing by Electronics where a guy was angrily demanding a return on his TV. When asked why, he said he was trying to watch the World Cup but all he could hear was this horrible buzzing noise.

No, we didn't take it back.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chicken Doodle posted:

A new version of this cropped up during the world cup. I was passing by Electronics where a guy was angrily demanding a return on his TV. When asked why, he said he was trying to watch the World Cup but all he could hear was this horrible buzzing noise.

No, we didn't take it back.
Is that a joke or are you being serious because that's pretty :stare:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Is that a joke or are you being serious because that's pretty :stare:

100% serious. Heard it with my own ears. Had to run back to my department so I could laugh.

If it's one thing retail teaches you it's that people are DUMB.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
If there's one thing I certainly don't miss about my old petrol station job, even back when it was relatively cool with the awesome boss, it's the shift pattern. We did a set rotation of two early shifts, two late shifts and two days off. The main downside to this was the fact that this meant you only had a full weekend off once every seven weeks. Also the tight schedule meant it was tricky to swap shifts around if you had an emergency or whatever, although if we could work it out between ourselves the boss didn't care, as long as someone was working each shift. Yep, once or twice I did a late and early back to back, that's four hours sleep right there.

On the plus side, it did mean you only had to do the dreaded Sunday early shift twice in a seven-week rotation. Sunday opening was hell, for one reason. The newspapers. Normally we get the bundles of papers, we stick 'em in the boxes and that's that. On a Sunday we get the HUGE bundles of enormous Sunday editions, AND bundles of the magazines you get inside. We then had to manually put the inserts into each and every paper. All while doing the rest of the opening procedures, and usually well after customers have started rolling in. I always dreaded Sunday opening because of it. Hell, I STILL have newsprint on my fingers five years later...

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Hey dickhead shift supervisor/server, I've worked here for nearly a goddamn year, you don't have to constantly address me as if I don't know what I'm doing, especially when you're a lazy poo poo half the time anyway and if I ever bring a problem to your attention, your response is always "whatever, it'll sort itself out".

I can't stand the fact that because I don't bro out and go drinking with idiots like him, it'll take me twice as long to get anywhere as it would for anyone else. It also doesn't help that the building is small and cramped as hell, to where I can never have a moment of quiet away from these people. It's not that I simply don't share the same tastes, it's that I'm constantly surrounded by people who never shut up about sports or Call of Duty/Madden. When word got out about my orientation, they acted like loving 4th-graders about it. I poo poo you not, one of them seems to just not understand the concept of homosexuality, like it's a mystery to him, and I constantly get pandering questions like "hey do you think he's hot", and I can never get away from it, ever. One of them made fun of me for using the word facetious, because they didn't know what it meant. I just have no loving words for that.

I simply don't believe that there could be any retail/food service other job in the world where 95% of everything wrong with it came from having to deal with horrible coworkers. Sure, I get annoying customers often enough, but it's absolutely nothing compared to basically working in a high-school environment.

Trying to get an entry-level business position without any kind of college degree is asking a lot, I know, but my friends and family have been trying to help me find one as best they can (one of them even told me about availability at BioWare, and goddamn if that wouldn't be a dream come true), and I sincerely hope something comes out of it. I'm sick of this job, and I haven't even been here an entire year yet.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

miscellaneous14 posted:

I can't stand the fact that because I don't bro out and go drinking with idiots like him, it'll take me twice as long to get anywhere as it would for anyone else.

I hate to break it to you, but this really isn't limited to retail environments. I work for an engineering firm and because I don't like to spend my weekends getting hammered on a golf course (I do like golf, I just don't use it as an excuse to drink), I get passed over for a lot of stuff in favor of people that do go out on weekends.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Chicken Doodle posted:

When asked why, he said he was trying to watch the World Cup but all he could hear was this horrible buzzing noise.

What I love about this is that it means he never tried another channel. :v:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Ornamented Death posted:

I hate to break it to you, but this really isn't limited to retail environments. I work for an engineering firm and because I don't like to spend my weekends getting hammered on a golf course (I do like golf, I just don't use it as an excuse to drink), I get passed over for a lot of stuff in favor of people that do go out on weekends.

Confirming this to be true. My husband is an engineer too, and he was told specifically to socialize more by his manager, because his manager really wanted to be able to promote him soon.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Meow Cadet posted:

Confirming this to be true. My husband is an engineer too, and he was told specifically to socialize more by his manager, because his manager really wanted to be able to promote him soon.

But guys, I thought the Private Sector (tm) was a bastion of meritocracy and fair play!

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Megera posted:

What I love about this is that it means he never tried another channel. :v:

"I DID try other channels! THEY were fine, but what's the point if the one I want has the problem?!"

As for the "socialise for promotions" thing, I guess you have to put yourself in the manager's position. Given a selection of people to choose from, do you pick the friendly sociable guy you've had plenty of face time with, or the quiet guy who is never social and doesn't seem to have good people skills or whatever? Pretty sure I know who I'd pick. If you really want to move up then you've got to make those with the power aware of you as much as you can, and they'll remember your face a lot more from a social setting than from trying to recall it based on a name on a list of figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Solkanar512 posted:

But guys, I thought the Private Sector (tm) was a bastion of meritocracy and fair play!

Literally everyone bitching in this thread works in the private sector :D.

Edit: An update to my Best Buy situation: I am now watching the manager of the Magnolia section and the warehouse manager play hot potato with the blame. Meanwhile, nothing is actually getting accomplished and I'm still out a ton of money. This is so awesome :bang:.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 21, 2011