Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

FlyingFish posted:

I want to print a black pattern (mostly fine black lines) over a darkish grey background and have it appear sort of like the photoshop multiply blending mode... I did just that and test printed on a regular laser printer, and of course it comes out completely dark. The thing is I have to hand the file over to the client since they already sourced a local printer, and I'm all the way on the other side of the continent so I won't be able to communicate with the printer. Is there any rule of thumb when it comes to setting such a file up, or am I SOL? :smith:

If the local printer is more than just one of their buddies with an Epson, they'll provide a color proof before actually printing the file so the client can approve the colors or have a chance to tweak them if they aren't up to spec. They can then have you make any adjustments needed or the printshop might do them, whatever your agreement is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there a thread for people to discuss Photoshop, share work, etc? I did a search and didn't see anything.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I picked up some stuff from the art supply store near me.

A couple of 'Factis' erasers, as I didn't like the marks being left behind using cheap dollar store ones, a 8B and H4 pencil, a 'gum art' Mercur eraser and a template circle drawing tool.

Whats the difference between the two erasers?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Raenir Salazar posted:

I picked up some stuff from the art supply store near me.

A couple of 'Factis' erasers, as I didn't like the marks being left behind using cheap dollar store ones, a 8B and H4 pencil, a 'gum art' Mercur eraser and a template circle drawing tool.

Whats the difference between the two erasers?

Wikipedia has some info on the different types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eraser

After a quick google on the Factis, I think it is vinyl.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm planning to do a medium sized (about two feet tall, but crouched) figure sculpture with Sculpey, and I've been working on the armature and I've run into a dead end trying to figure out a good material with which to build up (bulk-out) the armature. Everyone recommends aluminum foil, but on something this big I feel like aluminum foil will be far too weak. Does anyone know what would work?

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

RobertKerans posted:

The original quote is supposedly "Any man who would letterspace blackletter would shag sheep." Or gently caress sheep. There's not any hidden typographic in-joke held in the stealing sheep bit, it's pretty straightforward, it literally means stealing sheep

Oh, OK. So it's just an insult.

That makes me feel stupid, but also better.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

triplexpac posted:

Is there a thread for people to discuss Photoshop, share work, etc? I did a search and didn't see anything.

There used to be a PS sub-forum here in CC that seemed to have been geared towards Photoshop Phriday work, but most of those just end up coming from GBS. If there's something specific with which you need some help or guidance, you could try making a general Photoshop Help thread yourself. (Just don't try too hard with the name; nothing drives business away quite like a lame headline.)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Pantothenate posted:

There used to be a PS sub-forum here in CC that seemed to have been geared towards Photoshop Phriday work, but most of those just end up coming from GBS. If there's something specific with which you need some help or guidance, you could try making a general Photoshop Help thread yourself. (Just don't try too hard with the name; nothing drives business away quite like a lame headline.)

Haha fair enough. There's nothing in particular I need help with in Photoshop right now, I just do design work in Photoshop all the time and thought it would be cool to discuss techniques and stuff. Maybe I'll make a thread sometime if there is interest in it.

Or is there another forum somewhere that is geared towards more professional Photoshop work? I tried searching google, but it's mostly just high school kids making awesome sigs and wallpaper.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The dorkroom post-processing thread might have some stuff you are interested in: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Haha fair enough. There's nothing in particular I need help with in Photoshop right now, I just do design work in Photoshop all the time and thought it would be cool to discuss techniques and stuff. Maybe I'll make a thread sometime if there is interest in it.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of that subforum, but it was probably one of the most least active in all of SA. If you want, definitely feel free to start a general Photoshop discussion thread, though. I think there'd be enough interest to make it work in a sort of single-source "megathread" format.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have been playing around with graphite and turpenoid lately with some mixed results. I have a very soft graphite stick that cam with a pencil set that works perfectly. The it very soft (and slightly sticky and leaves jet black marks like charchoal. The problem is, I can't seem to find any more of them. Even 9b still leaves a much more silvery and compressed mark and there is nothing on the stick saying what it is.

I even thought I mistook charcoal for graphite but charcoal has a totally different result. Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? I'd like to buy some more of these but am coming up dry.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
If it's at all sticky it's probably not graphite or charcoal. Is it a rounded or square stick? What brand was the pencil set?

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

NESguerilla posted:

I have been playing around with graphite and turpenoid lately with some mixed results. I have a very soft graphite stick that cam with a pencil set that works perfectly. The it very soft (and slightly sticky and leaves jet black marks like charchoal. The problem is, I can't seem to find any more of them. Even 9b still leaves a much more silvery and compressed mark and there is nothing on the stick saying what it is.

I even thought I mistook charcoal for graphite but charcoal has a totally different result. Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? I'd like to buy some more of these but am coming up dry.

You sure it's not conte? If it's a black rectangular stick, conte has kind of a plasticky and "sticky" feel to it, I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Its square. Hm. I'm thinking its not graphite either. It's a Creatacolor set.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I saw this picture in the Minecraft thread:

And was wondering how this was done. Is it something I can do in Photoshop with a bit of practise?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Something like this may work: http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/create-your-own-panorama-planets/

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

triplexpac posted:

Something like this may work: http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/create-your-own-panorama-planets/

That's awesome, thank you so much!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I'm trying to learn comic-book-style inking and I ended up buying these brushes, this pen, and this ink. Will this work for a beginner? Are there any other materials or even websites to buy from that I should try to "graduate" to as I get better?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Does anyone know if it's safe/non-irritable to be covered in tonic water w/ quinine? I am planning a shot in a short film that calls for an actress to be entirely submerged in it. I imagine it will be okay since we drink tonic water all the time, but I don't wanna hurt the poor girl.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

CloseFriend posted:

I'm trying to learn comic-book-style inking and I ended up buying these brushes, this pen, and this ink. Will this work for a beginner? Are there any other materials or even websites to buy from that I should try to "graduate" to as I get better?

Those all look fine. Read Comic Tools for really great guides to using those tools and others, and come by the Comics Shop Talk thread to show us how things are coming along.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

the Bunt posted:

Does anyone know if it's safe/non-irritable to be covered in tonic water w/ quinine? I am planning a shot in a short film that calls for an actress to be entirely submerged in it. I imagine it will be okay since we drink tonic water all the time, but I don't wanna hurt the poor girl.

Why don't you just use club soda or something fizzy but non-sweetened? I'd be more concerned about bathing in sugar myself.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Locus posted:

Why don't you just use club soda or something fizzy but non-sweetened? I'd be more concerned about bathing in sugar myself.

Because, tonic water with quinine glows a very striking blue color under a blacklight. Glowing water is the effect I'm going for.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

Locus posted:

I'm assuming it's got something to do with quinine's UV luminescence — though I don't even know if grocery-store tonic does that these days. Either way, I have no idea about the health risks.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
The model will be fine. You could also cover her in semen, as that glows under a black light. If you tell her it's for art she might go for it.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Anything better and cheaper than prisma color markers. well maybe not better but but close enough for a lot less money. my girlfriend needs some for school and I figured you guys would know best.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
A friend of mine does some sculpting as a hobby and has been using wax as a mold, making duplicates out of epoxy resin. They are model-sized walls and columns and stuff for a board game. I'm attempting to find a good way to transport them properly since the bases that hold the walls up are quite thin. Carrying them around loosely in a box would probably damage them.

I've found stuff that would do the job well, but I don't know what it's called!
Given that I could find some that is 1-2 inches thick, I'm looking for the same type of foam that I found in my old chess set:

(my apologies for the crappy picture quality, it's the best I could come up with right now)

It's a very soft foam that offers some amount of resistance. I think the hole for the pieces were stamped out (and the edges possibly burned?), offering a snug fit for the pieces. The closest I could find on google was expanded polypropylene, but I'm fairly sure it isn't the same stuff.

Does anybody know what this foamy red stuff is?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gimbal lock posted:

A friend of mine does some sculpting as a hobby and has been using wax as a mold, making duplicates out of epoxy resin. They are model-sized walls and columns and stuff for a board game. I'm attempting to find a good way to transport them properly since the bases that hold the walls up are quite thin. Carrying them around loosely in a box would probably damage them.

I've found stuff that would do the job well, but I don't know what it's called!
Given that I could find some that is 1-2 inches thick, I'm looking for the same type of foam that I found in my old chess set:

(my apologies for the crappy picture quality, it's the best I could come up with right now)

It's a very soft foam that offers some amount of resistance. I think the hole for the pieces were stamped out (and the edges possibly burned?), offering a snug fit for the pieces. The closest I could find on google was expanded polypropylene, but I'm fairly sure it isn't the same stuff.

Does anybody know what this foamy red stuff is?

Not off-hand, but I use Sabol design's Army Transport system for my miniatures. The cases are kind of expensive, but the foam trays aren't too bad.

http://www.saboldesigns.net/figurefoam.html

If you want to go cheaper, and if you're in the US, gun cases can be had cheap as hell at Walmart or what have you. They're typically foam lined hard plastic. You can cut the foam to fit. Or you could look up a local foam sheeting supplier and get it really, really cheaply (in a per sq. foot manner).

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
Oil pastels question.

I'm going to New Mexico from mid-May to mid-June. Most of this will be a camping trip, and it will be hot and sunny with little air conditioning.

I would like to pick up oil pastels again, and I liked some Sennelier La Grande soft pastels I saw the other day. But I don't want to sink that kind of money into the individual colors I want if they're just gonna melt in the heat.

Any tips?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

AltoidsAddict posted:

Oil pastels question.

I'm going to New Mexico from mid-May to mid-June. Most of this will be a camping trip, and it will be hot and sunny with little air conditioning.

I would like to pick up oil pastels again, and I liked some Sennelier La Grande soft pastels I saw the other day. But I don't want to sink that kind of money into the individual colors I want if they're just gonna melt in the heat.

Any tips?

Where in New Mexico are you going to be camping? Southern or in the northern mountains?

I'm asking because the northern mountains, in the forests anyway, can be pretty cool and pleasant. Southern NM (where I live) is pretty hot, it's alreadhy approaching 90 degrees during the day here. Albuquerque, about 3 hours north in the center of the state, is generally around 10 degrees cooler than the border areas.

Maybe you could carry a little cooler with some ice packs in it or something?

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

gmc9987 posted:

Where in New Mexico are you going to be camping? Southern or in the northern mountains?

I'm asking because the northern mountains, in the forests anyway, can be pretty cool and pleasant. Southern NM (where I live) is pretty hot, it's alreadhy approaching 90 degrees during the day here. Albuquerque, about 3 hours north in the center of the state, is generally around 10 degrees cooler than the border areas.

Maybe you could carry a little cooler with some ice packs in it or something?

I'm going all over, making a loop around the state. The longest stretch will be in Carlsbad for a week. My concern with ice packs is that once they run out, I will have no way to refreeze them, and using plain ice might be disastrous as it melts. Would a fishing tackle box with ice in the bottom and pastels in the top trays be feasible, do you think?

Edit: It is entirely possible that my best option may be to just settle for using colored pencils, and doing pastels when I get home. There are worse fates, I suppose.

AltoidsAddict fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 1, 2011

Titanium_Lass
Apr 6, 2011
Can anyone please assist me with rigging a dolphin in 3D StudioMax? I've tried looking for rigging tutorials for sharks or fish, but can't seem to find any. And rigging tutorials for bipeds just don't translate well; I'm a modeler/texturer, not a rigger. I thought a dolphin would have a fairly simple rig, but it's proving a real bitch. I'd really appreciate any help.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Titanium_Lass posted:

Can anyone please assist me with rigging a dolphin in 3D StudioMax? I've tried looking for rigging tutorials for sharks or fish, but can't seem to find any. And rigging tutorials for bipeds just don't translate well; I'm a modeler/texturer, not a rigger. I thought a dolphin would have a fairly simple rig, but it's proving a real bitch. I'd really appreciate any help.

Ask in the 3d thread.

Loarfy
Mar 14, 2011
I guess this is relevant... Can anyone help me find Joanna Estep's article on Timing in Comics? I found an old link to it on newsarama, but it's all 'page not found' now. I tried Wayback Machine, but naturally all the images were broken.

I think the article was an excerpt of her book, "Timing: Expressions of Time in Sequential Art and Design", but I can't find the actual book anywhere either. This is driving me bonkers, 'cause that guide was really helpful. :(

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Does anyone have any resources for scientific illustration? I'm not talking about the highly polished stuff you see in text books, I'm simply looking for a way to make quick, accurate illustrations in my field journal.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

PoorPeteBest posted:

Does anyone have any resources for scientific illustration? I'm not talking about the highly polished stuff you see in text books, I'm simply looking for a way to make quick, accurate illustrations in my field journal.

For the work I do, MATLAB has been the easiest way. If you want a program that is a little more like drawing, Autocad is also a great and mathematically precise way to draw.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I just stumbled across the most irritating behaviour (or bug?) in Photoshop. Using my Intuos, every so often it'll interpret a stroke as maximum pressure. This happens with both size or opacity pressure. As an example, this is just drawing a series of lines from left to right with very light pressure, using a square brush with combined size+opacity on pressure:

Obviously those thick lines shouldn't be happening. I don't know how long this has been going on, and it only happens in Photoshop -- installed Paint Tool SAI to test and it works fine. I checked the brush settings or preferences for anything that might explain this, to no avail. Any ideas?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Not sure if this thread or the 3dcg thread is the appropriate place to put this, but does anyone know how to achieve this effect?

From what I can tell it's a composite of what is most likely a sketchup model and a photograph. But what was done to create the hand drawn look?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Not sure if this thread or the 3dcg thread is the appropriate place to put this, but does anyone know how to achieve this effect?

From what I can tell it's a composite of what is most likely a sketchup model and a photograph. But what was done to create the hand drawn look?

I think the paper texture has a lot to do with what makes it hand drawn.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

But what was done to create the hand drawn look?

Photoshop watercolour filter with the darkness whapped up on the photograph. Foreground covered with several blended layers (either warped to fit the photograph, or dropped in bit by bit), of the sketchUp version (full, outlines, with shading, without shading, shadows, etc.). The flat coloured layer/s have then had one or several sketch filters applied in Photoshop, and probably another watercolour filter/s, much lighter. And then the paper texture layered over the top with multipy.

S/he might have done it differently, but that would produce the same result.

EDIT: The Display Template plugin for sketchUp (from http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rld/) lets you export a series of views. Then it's a case of working out which adjustments, blend modes and filters to apply to the layers, and in which order to place them, etc etc

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

RobertKerans posted:

Photoshop watercolour filter with the darkness whapped up on the photograph. Foreground covered with several blended layers (either warped to fit the photograph, or dropped in bit by bit), of the sketchUp version (full, outlines, with shading, without shading, shadows, etc.). The flat coloured layer/s have then had one or several sketch filters applied in Photoshop, and probably another watercolour filter/s, much lighter. And then the paper texture layered over the top with multipy.

S/he might have done it differently, but that would produce the same result.

EDIT: The Display Template plugin for sketchUp (from http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rld/) lets you export a series of views. Then it's a case of working out which adjustments, blend modes and filters to apply to the layers, and in which order to place them, etc etc

Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for. Gonna try it out on a render later this week. Thanks so much.