Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Whats up with all the "Secret Tesla free energy" ads on facebook lately? I did a lot of Googling last night, and watched a few videos but I know limited amouts of things on electricity. I saw something called a school girl motor and a joe cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I meant "neutral" as in "somewhere between the word I'm looking for and snob," not neutral as in "has neither a positive or negative connotation". Sorry I was unclear. Those were the first two antonyms I found.

Maybe you need to be more descriptive about what are considered fancy things, and examples of things this person would or would not do. Does the latest and greastest roller coaster count as fancy? It takes some sophisticated tech to get one that can dive to 100+ mph. Something an old-fashioned wooden coaster couldn't do safely.

RDTSC
Dec 31, 2008
My clock has broken :(
Is any object in space stationary?

Simple question. Wait no it's not.

I mean reasonably within reason. I don't want "everything's vibrating" or "nothing's absolute zero" or "motion is relative, there's got to be something out there that's moving along the same vector" or "all galaxyies etc are spinning", or "universe is expanding".

It's just I was looking at my space desktop background. It's got a planet, a light source off camera (presumable nearby star), stars and nebulas in the background, and a couple of rocks (I can't say how big they are). Lack of motion blur gives the impression that they're just sitting there. But how does a rock come to be with out having some momentum. Also isn't light, dust, etc going to hit it and build up to some spinning/moving after a while.

So the intro to star trek tng (or was it voyger), when you go though Saturn ring and there's a little his sound. The particles that make up the rigs aren't moving at all. In reality would they be bouncing around and spinning and hitting each other and stuff, like molecules do. Why not?

Wait a minute why are Saturns rings rings and not orbs? Why that plane? oh crap.

e: I wasn't high. People always think I'm high, been like that since I was a kid. I had this one teacher who used to follow me around school and try and catch me out, like:
teacher: what day is it?
me: errm... thursday.
teacher: alright you win this time.
teacher walks off
teachers wife (who likes me): it's Wednesday *wink*.

I'm not high!:smith:
ee: I don't need drugs to be high.

RDTSC fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 19, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

how high is this guy? ^^^

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RDTSC posted:

Wait a minute why are Saturns rings rings and not orbs?

Orbs surrounding a planet instead of rings is gravitationallly unsuitable, rings in a thin plane around the planet's equator, however, can easily remain roughly stable for thousands and millions of years.

In fact were you to try to make a orb layer around say Saturn instead of the rings, most of the material would fall to Saturn with the remainder migrating out to form rings.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

a computer posted:

I Googled "che hilton" and turned this up. It's got the original artist's name there, so that should be useful at least.

Thanks a whole huge bunch!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Belligerent Monk posted:

I got a registration fix it ticket a while back, in Long Beach CA, and failed to appear on 2/27. I just got a letter dated March 15, saying that I owe $685 and it will increase to $985 if I don't pay within 10 days. I know I'm an idiot for not taking care of it right away, but is it possible to reduce this somehow? Thanks.

If it's a city fine, it's very doubtful you'll be able to reduce the fine.

What's your argument? When the Judge or Clerk asks to pay the full amount, and you say that you can't/won't, they just take your licence away and impound your car (on the taxpayer's dime, there's no true "cost of recovery" like CC companies) until you pay.

You can probably get set up on a payment plan though.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
What's magic about the magic flute from "the magic flute"?

Thanks.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
This wiki link says that the flute can change men's hearts. For a religious person, this means to remove all evil from a person. Anyone who hears the flute's sound is made good.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Are there any open source/free/affordable video editing programs that are even worth looking at? I have a degree in production, but haven't been able to get work doing it and I'm really getting rusty--but I can't afford Avid or Premiere.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

I'm not looking for a word that describes my attitude towards this person. I'm looking for a word to describe a person who won't try things they consider snobby (or fancy or not-simple-enough or whatever). You even admitted "won't try fancy things" is a simple description.

In English we have these things called sentences that are often used to describe ideas. May be you have heard of them?

Congrats on the English though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
How can I fall asleep during the day, for a good long nap?

It's been years since I've been able to sleep during the day. I know people that can can asleep in near anything, and I'm jealous.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

I'm looking for one word that could replace those four (one that's a bit more specific and less holier-than-thou/smarmy than philistine or luddite (no offense Binowru, thanks for the suggestions)).

I meant "neutral" as in "somewhere between the word I'm looking for and snob," not neutral as in "has neither a positive or negative connotation". Sorry I was unclear. Those were the first two antonyms I found.

Congrats on the Japanese, though.

A person shunning "fancy things" for the fact they are fancy is as much as a snob as a person who shuns "non-fancy" things in favor of the fancy ones. Grassroots could be an option, traditional, simplistic, thrifty (if you're going for a cost angle)?

RDTSC
Dec 31, 2008

thefoozl posted:

How can I fall asleep during the day, for a good long nap?

It's been years since I've been able to sleep during the day. I know people that can can asleep in near anything, and I'm jealous.

Have you tried sleeping pills? I get nytol or Boots brand "Sleep Eaze" (UK), it's 50mg doses of diphenyhydramine HCL (iirc). Don't take any more or you won't have useful sleep (more like the unconsciousness brought on by a general anaesthetic) and you also might start hallucinating (symptoms sound like those of sleep deprivation (like 3-4 days). Go figure, right?). it just kinda chemically creates the drowsiness of sleep deprivation to suggest to your mind "it's time to go to sleep." I'm an insomniac and, I dunno if they work for me but it's just like saying "I'm committing to sleep now" which is useful. What I'm saying is they're not a silver bullet, just use it along with other tips on how to sleep.
It makes sense that you can't sleep in the day if you get the right amount. Healthy people need 4-7 hours (each person has their own number). If you don't get enough you'll find it easy to drop off during the day, your freinds might be in that position.
You're also supposed to be falling asleep and waking at the same time every day and if you're in a pattern you'll find it hard to do otherwise. You might screw yourself up by doing this.
I get the feeling you're avoiding this if you are considering it, but that polyphasic sleep pattern thing isn't really what it's made up to be. It's not easy to do and will leave you feeling sleep deprived all the time. Read this if you don't believe me http://www.supermemo.com/articles/polyphasic.htm. Actually pretty good site, see http://www.supermemo.com/english/contents.htm#Articles . If you don't want to pay for supermemo btw, look up 'anki'.
But, erm, good luck or something.

RDTSC
Dec 31, 2008

fishmech posted:

Orbs surrounding a planet instead of rings is gravitationallly unsuitable, rings in a thin plane around the planet's equator, however, can easily remain roughly stable for thousands and millions of years.

In fact were you to try to make a orb layer around say Saturn instead of the rings, most of the material would fall to Saturn with the remainder migrating out to form rings.

Thanks.
But why? I mean isn't the equator define by the sun?
I like thermodynamics and kinetics so if you could link me to some mathsy stuff (mmmm) that'd be great. Cheers.

RDTSC fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 19, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

b0nes posted:

Whats up with all the "Secret Tesla free energy" ads on facebook lately? I did a lot of Googling last night, and watched a few videos but I know limited amouts of things on electricity. I saw something called a school girl motor and a joe cell.

Well if it involves magnets, it's bullshit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RDTSC posted:

Is any object in space stationary?

No, even if you account for every other type of movement there's still the expansion or contraction of the entire universe to take into account. Special relativity says the question is sort of meaningless anyway, there is no privileged frame of reference against which all other motion can be measured so that something can be labeled "stationary".

quote:

Wait a minute why are Saturns rings rings and not orbs? Why that plane? oh crap.

The entire solar system formed out of a rotating cloud of gas and dust, and rotating clouds of gas and dust tend to arrange themselves into discs rather than any other shape. When the planets formed out of this spinning disc, they kept their angular momentum, which is why all planetary axes of rotation tend to point in the same direction and why all their orbits are in roughly the same plane. The ring forming around Saturn is in the same plane for the same reason.

quote:

e: I wasn't high. People always think I'm high, been like that since I was a kid. I had this one teacher who used to follow me around school and try and catch me out, like:
teacher: what day is it?
me: errm... thursday.
teacher: alright you win this time.
teacher walks off
teachers wife (who likes me): it's Wednesday *wink*.

I'm not high!:smith:
ee: I don't need drugs to be high.

You are high as hell.

RDTSC
Dec 31, 2008

haveblue posted:

No, even if you account for every other type of movement there's still the expansion or contraction of the entire universe to take into account. Special relativity says the question is sort of meaningless anyway, there is no privileged frame of reference against which all other motion can be measured so that something can be labeled "stationary".
This is exactly what I asked you not to say. Maybe my question had no real answer.

quote:

The entire solar system formed out of a rotating cloud of gas and dust, and rotating clouds of gas and dust tend to arrange themselves into discs rather than any other shape. When the planets formed out of this spinning disc, they kept their angular momentum, which is why all planetary axes of rotation tend to point in the same direction and why all their orbits are in roughly the same plane. The ring forming around Saturn is in the same plane for the same reason.
Okay thank you. That's interesting.

quote:

You are high as hell.
I'm really not. It's lunchtime right not and I'm revising. My first post in this thread was last night, I'd have high for quite a while. I'm not the kind of guy who's irresponsible enough to just outright break the rules like that and expect to get away with it.
It's funny though. It is very difficult to persuade someone that I'm not high all the time. It's uncanny how many odd things about my there are that you can put together to make a safe sounding assumption that I'm high. It is rather irritating but I reframe it to "I don't need to be high" to comfort myself.
Just like people think I'm high, people think I'm American. I am in-fact British. So lets say I meet someone new they will always, without fail, say "Are you american." I say no. 50% of people will just say "that's wierd" and discuss it, the other half will have a full-on argument with me about my own nationailty, insisting that I'm american. Looks like you're the second half. Do you mind just stopping, all of you.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Even your rambling explanation of why you're not high makes you seem high.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
there was a technical/computer science book thread (somewhere in SHSC or YOSPOS I believe) but I can't seem to find it again and my google-fu fails me.

If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, please be kind and link it

RDTSC
Dec 31, 2008

cosmin posted:

there was a technical/computer science book thread (somewhere in SHSC or YOSPOS I believe) but I can't seem to find it again and my google-fu fails me.

If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, please be kind and link it

It's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2784975
Though in future you should probably use the Lost SA Stuff" thread in GBS.

RDTSC fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 19, 2011

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I have two bottles of cognac I'd like to sell. One is worth about $800 and the other is worth about $1700-2000. I've tried craigslist and ebay to no avail. Are there any other websites that would be good for this kind of thing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RDTSC posted:

This is exactly what I asked you not to say. Maybe my question had no real answer.

Maybe you shouldn't ask questions like that based on your observations of a) a still image that someone put together in Photoshop with a focus on aesthetics and not astronomical accuracy and b) the all-CGI introduction to an old sci-fi TV show?

A different answer- Everything in space is moving, but the speeds at which they move are so small compared to their sizes and the distances involved that they do not fit inside human intuition. We cannot personally observe the cosmos for the thousands of years it would take for their arrangements to visibly change, we can only determine that this will happen through math and simulation.

quote:

I'm really not. It's lunchtime right not and I'm revising. My first post in this thread was last night, I'd have high for quite a while. I'm not the kind of guy who's irresponsible enough to just outright break the rules like that and expect to get away with it.
It's funny though. It is very difficult to persuade someone that I'm not high all the time. It's uncanny how many odd things about my there are that you can put together to make a safe sounding assumption that I'm high. It is rather irritating but I reframe it to "I don't need to be high" to comfort myself.
Just like people think I'm high, people think I'm American. I am in-fact British. So lets say I meet someone new they will always, without fail, say "Are you american." I say no. 50% of people will just say "that's wierd" and discuss it, the other half will have a full-on argument with me about my own nationailty, insisting that I'm american. Looks like you're the second half. Do you mind just stopping, all of you.

If you talk like this all the time but don't use drugs, there's probably some medication you should be on.

Flay Minion
Sep 23, 2004

hepme

thehandtruck posted:

I have two bottles of cognac I'd like to sell. One is worth about $800 and the other is worth about $1700-2000. I've tried craigslist and ebay to no avail. Are there any other websites that would be good for this kind of thing?

There's a 'cognac lovers' group on FB. Maybe you would get some interest there.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Back in the day it was somewhat assumed that a woman would become a 'housewife' and raise the kids and care for the home while the man labored to support his family.

edit: Rather, that was the suburban nuclear family image masqueraded across television of the era...

How does the conversation between a couple take place where the man talks about raising the children and working as much as is feasible while the woman labors to support the family financially?

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 19, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I left my yahoo email logged in at work. (screen locked) but I think that is why I am not getting any updates of emails because it is still logged in. Is there a way to force a remote logoff?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Woodsy Owl posted:

Back in the day it was somewhat assumed that a woman would become a 'housewife' and raise the kids and care for the home while the man labored to support his family.

edit: Rather, that was the suburban nuclear family image masqueraded across television of the era...

How does the conversation between a couple take place where the man talks about raising the children and working as much as is feasible while the woman labors to support the family financially?

Not sure what you mean by how. Two mature adults who love each other should be able to work things out like a "traditional" family would.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Where does all the "goofy poo poo on the walls" in restaurants come from?

I mean, fridays, bennigans, spaghetti warehouse, lone star, texas roadhouse, applebees, chilis, fuddruckers, shenannigans, there's got to be thousands of those places and maybe thousands more of goofy-poo poo-on-the-walls places with names I don't know. Do they all really have real 100 year old bikes hanging from the ceiling and genuine antique beer and moxy cola signs, framed photos of the 1888 french lick ferrets baseball squadron and other bullshit? You won't find a contiguous square foot of empty wall at any of them and you'd think there's a limited supply of that crap. Or is it all fake and someone's manufacturing it new? gently caress all that stupid crap, esp. if it's fake.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
It's not fake, they just pay near collector prices for it. If they shut down after a few years, the stuff really isn't worth any less.
And to add to that - that could be a way for franchise owners to display things from their personal collections, also.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I feel I like I didn't give fair shake to one of RDTSC's questions, about an 'orb' around Saturn. For a satellite to maintain a circular or elliptical orbit around a larger body, that orbit needs to be on a plane that contains the larger body's center of gravity.

So there's no way you'd see what'd look like a disco ball or chandelier formation of rocks orbiting in formation with each other, since the pieces towards the poles would be going in circles not centered around Saturn's center. Which just wouldn't work. They'd need to be powered to maintain that kind of 'orbit.'

However, it is possible that you have a cloud of rocks orbiting at all different planar angles and speeds about Saturn. It wouldn't look pretty, but it would work. In fact, that's sort of what Saturn's moons do:

The red orbits are retrograde, aka counterclockwise with respect to the others.

There are other pratical issues -- the gravity these satellites exert on each other and the pull from other planets and the sun are real factors. Eventually, a fine spherical mist of small rocks in a cloud formation around Saturn would get disrupted by the larger moons and broken down into a simpler, more robust configuration.

RDTSC
Dec 31, 2008
^^ Okay thank you I think I get it now. I've wanted to know that since I was a kid.

TLG James posted:

I left my yahoo email logged in at work. (screen locked) but I think that is why I am not getting any updates of emails because it is still logged in. Is there a way to force a remote logoff?

No. No standard way at least. Try logging in and out, but I dought it.
I don't think that would stop you from getting your emails though.

Just to be clear you're talking about the webmail right.

VV More information! Cheers.

RDTSC fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 19, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RDTSC posted:

Thanks.
But why? I mean isn't the equator define by the sun?
I like thermodynamics and kinetics so if you could link me to some mathsy stuff (mmmm) that'd be great. Cheers.

The equator is defined by the planet's rotation around its own axis. One planet (Uranus, IIRC) even has its equator at nearly a right angle to its rotation around the sun.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

RDTSC posted:

so if you could link me to some mathsy stuff (mmmm) that'd be great. Cheers.

Seriously curious -- how can you talk like this (and presumably have an appropriate accent) and have someone from England think you're American?

RDTSC
Dec 31, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Seriously curious -- how can you talk like this (and presumably have an appropriate accent) and have someone from England think you're American?

Only english people think I'm american. Everyone else (who knows english) says English. The american accent's there (apparently) and also I say 'dude' and 'man' and other stuff like that. When people get to know me that start to admit that they see the english bits. It's more than that too. My cousins live in the US and send my clothes and stuff with the flag, etc on it. Also when I was a kid my family went to the US on holiday a few times. Since everything's so cheap there we stocked up on clothes and shoes and other things. I'm still wearing stuff like that now. The cut is baggier on american clothes and, well sport-strip-imitating tshirts is obvious (like basketball or american-footbal t-shirts with team names and sponsors on and stuff). I do not sound American at all to myself.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Woodsy Owl posted:

Stay at home dads are relatively common these days, at least more so than they used to be. Often, it happens because the wife has a very well paying job already and the husband is either unemployed or has a lower paying job (or is in school). I think most people tend to have discussions about this kind of thing while still pregnant so they can make plans before the baby comes.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Woodsy Owl posted:

If you're trying to figure out how to start this conversation, you can google "how to talk to your spouse about" and get tips as you go from there.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I've noticed that on cartoons whenever Jews celebrate something, they always play the same song. It's like a jaunty polka with a rising melody. IIRC some old man also sings it in Life Of Brian. Anyone know the name of the song?

vv That's the one. Thank you.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 19, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Spermando posted:

I've noticed that on cartoons whenever Jews celebrate something, they always play the same song. It's like a jaunty polka with a rising melody. IIRC some old man also sings it in Life Of Brian. Anyone know the name of the song?

Hava Nagila?

McGiygas
Sep 25, 2010

by T. Mascis
I remember talking in my ceramics class about vintage red Fiesta ware (the ones with the uranium oxide glaze) and the teacher mentioned that some university had a display of the red Fiesta ware. Which university is it and are there any pictures or videos of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Do viruses die of age, or are their natural "lives" pretty much interminable?