Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for all of the replies, guys. When I start packing up this weekend I'll take pictures of everything and make a big post about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

Louisgod posted:

Definitely post it here. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how much money you actually get for a lot of the figures.

This is good to hear. I'm cleaning through a bunch of toys now, and it's a damned nightmare. Gonna have a big post hopefully in the next month or so.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Found, and bought, the entire second GL wave at Wal-Mart today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

Holy poo poo, already out? That's awesome.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, already out? That's awesome.

I like the head-swap features, but it makes me really want to buy two so I can display both ways.

He's a fuckin' tree!

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 10, 2011

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

I saw that stuff at Emerald City last weekend, and it looked so good, but it was all $20+ and I had to pass, although I did snag 5/6 of the Validus line for $10 each, so it wasn't a total loss.

In fact, I'm really surprised by just how much I like Golden Pharaoh.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

G'hu really gives me a hasbro Star Wars vibe. I don't think I'll be picking up any movie figures if this is what will be offered.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Stel is pretty bad-rear end. I'll have to fix the crooked logo, and the ab crunch is loose, but I can deal with that.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Are those 6inch or 3 1/2 inch?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Jet Ready Go posted:

Are those 6inch or 3 1/2 inch?

6 inch scale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

Stel is pretty bad-rear end. I'll have to fix the crooked logo, and the ab crunch is loose, but I can deal with that.

drat. That's a badass figure.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nite-Lik is a pretty good monster. I like his tendrils down, instead of wrapped around the torso. I hope they stay that way.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I've been slowly collecting some random GI Joes (up to 12 now) since I missed out on the 25th Anniversary and was wondering if there's a site better than yojoe for looking up figs. I don't mind the sorting by year, but it takes me forever to find some things and was wondering if theres a site that has pictures/headshots of the different runs that would make it easier to find ones that look cool without going through 50 billion Snake Eyes/Storm Shadows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Check your local Suncoast, I just found all four Arkham figures there for $19 each.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Suncoast still exist?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Satsuki posted:

Suncoast still exist?

Indeed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Canopus250 posted:

So I've been slowly collecting some random GI Joes (up to 12 now) since I missed out on the 25th Anniversary and was wondering if there's a site better than yojoe for looking up figs. I don't mind the sorting by year, but it takes me forever to find some things and was wondering if theres a site that has pictures/headshots of the different runs that would make it easier to find ones that look cool without going through 50 billion Snake Eyes/Storm Shadows.
Generalsjoes.com is another good site. Between them and yojoe I've been able to find all the info I've wanted.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Xenomrph posted:

Generalsjoes.com is another good site. Between them and yojoe I've been able to find all the info I've wanted.

Yep, the reviews section of generalsjoes has everything 25th and tons of photos.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I got a PM recently asking about my custom Mega Man figure and how I went about making it, and after writing what ended up being a very long reply, I figured I might as well paste it to the rest of you:

quote:

It's a little tough to explain my working process since it varies like crazy from one project to the next, and I'm pretty bad about ever snapping pictures of unfinished work.

Most of the custom sculpting I do is from various kinds of Sculpey polymer clays... they make a few different types that have different properties, and I'll frequently mix two or three kinds to get the effect I want. They all bake at the same temperature so any combination works.

Sculpey - the regular white stuff. Soft and easy to work with, but bakes extremely brittle. Great for bulking out large areas, horrible for fine detail.

Super Sculpey - the pink stuff. Perfect texture for difficult detail work, but still fairly brittle when baked. It's slightly translucent so I tend to add something to it just so I can see the details more clearly.

Sculpey Premo - much more durable than super sculpey. Comes in little colored blocks... a bit pricey. More elastic/gooey texture, so it's tougher to work with. 90% of the time I use a blend of Super and Premo. 50/50 is fine. More premo makes it more durable, more super sculpey makes it easier to work with. The colors are useful just to get a clearer idea of what you're doing. I.E. I mixed up blue clay to make Mega Man.

Sculpey Flex - makes rubbery, flexible forms. Great for making really thin, fragile details. It's like trying to sculpt with toothpaste, though, and mixing it with other types can impact its usefulness. File under "advanced."

This stuff all bakes at a low enough temperature that it's usually possible to bake it right onto a store-bought figure, but you always run the risk of warping or melting the thing so it's best to avoid it where you can. Cheap figures with hollow torsos are especially prone to this, so the first thing I do is try to pop the figure apart at its various joints so arms, legs and heads can be baked separately. (You can do this by preheating the oven to like 150 degrees and putting the figure in there for five minutes. The plastic softens enough to pop apart at the joints, but it's not hot enough to cause any damage.)

For Mega Man, I wanted him to have slightly cartoonier proportions than Iron Man, so I made his hands, feet and head bigger.

One hand got replaced by the buster arm. It was sculpted and baked totally separately. I chopped off his left hand, drilled a little hole in the stump just big enough to put a bit of bamboo skewer in there, then put a rough blob of sculpey over the skewer, pulled it off the arm and baked it, and that was my armature. I built up the cannon in many layers, just checking occasionally to make sure it looked good on his arm. Once it was all finished I krazy-glued it in place.

The other hand I borrowed from another toy. I kept the wrist joint from Iron Man but removed his hand just below it with an x-acto knife, then chopped the hand off the other figure and glued it carefully in place. I then had to make his wrist fatter. To get that overlapping armor look I built it up with thin cardboard first - glued in place - and then sculpted over that. I also added some bulk to his ankles, which took a while because I had to worry about symmetry as well as matching the style of the armor.

I always do the head last, because it's the most fun and the most challenging. Getting the proportions right and getting the attitude right are crucial, so it helps to have the body done first. For Mega Man's head, I used Iron Man's head as the "skull." I started by adding big round eyes to Iron Man's head, baked that, then sculpted the face around them, baked that, then sculpted the helmet in sections. I used a lot of real helmets for design inspiration. Google Image Search is your best friend!

It takes a lot of patience to do mechanical shapes, and usually you'll want to do a lot of fine sanding and carving after it's baked so that everything is nice and smooth.

The paint job on that guy took a very long time. I use acrylic model paint, various brands, but it's incredibly important to put layers of paint on very thin! This is where the majority of people gently caress up their hard work. You don't want any drips or brush strokes to show on something this small. There are no shortcuts. Be patient. If one thin coat of paint doesn't cover it perfectly, let it dry and add another.

Start with darker colors, then once you have a decent base coat you can gradually dry-brush lighter shades over it until it looks good. This will bring out details really nicely. Start with larger areas and work your way to finer details.

When I want really vibrant colors, I sometimes mix some fluorescent paint in there. I added a little day-glo green to the lighter blue on Mega Man. I always mix silver in with the eye color to get some lifelike sparkle in there. Eyes are really tough to paint. Sometimes it takes a few tries.

Remember that to be good at this stuff takes years of practice and an ability to improvise. A lot of customizers out there put up detailed tutorials, and you can steal ideas from everywhere, but the real trick is patience and skill and imagination.

Don't be afraid to just try new poo poo and see what happens. If it doesn't work, try something else. Practice on old toys you don't want anymore and stuff you dig out of bargain bins. It's about having fun, so just experiment.

Good luck!

I've said it before... I have been doing this stuff for a lot of years now but I've never really stopped making it up as I go. I learn something new every time I work on one of these.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I've been trying to get into customs, it's a nice way to relax and keep busy. This is the first I've been really proud of, it's a 25th style GI Joe Airtight.

Original Figure: http://yojoe.com/action/85/airtight.shtml

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I got a PM recently asking about my custom Mega Man figure and how I went about making it, and after writing what ended up being a very long reply, I figured I might as well paste it to the rest of you:

I've said it before... I have been doing this stuff for a lot of years now but I've never really stopped making it up as I go. I learn something new every time I work on one of these.

This is really cool, and I'm thinking of trying something. No specific ideas yet but Forbidden Planet have marked down a bunch of IM2 toys.

When you say you "bake" Sculpey, is that literally in an oven, or just by something like a light bulb?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I just use a regular oven.

Remember to preheat, because most ovens work by blasting heat as hard as they can until it warms up, and that's the best way to accidentally melt a plastic object. Most stuff you won't need to bake for more than 5 minutes... leaving it too long is another way to cause damage.

I've heard people talk about boiling it or using a heat gun, but that seems... messy. Most light bulbs probably won't get hot enough, but like I said, feel free to experiment.

There are various kind of epoxy sculpting putty out there that don't require baking, but I have kind of limited experience with that. It's not as easy to find in stores. You definitely don't want anything that "air dries," though, because that stuff shrinks and cracks as it loses moisture, and tends to be total crap.

The good stuff works via an actual chemical reaction, either heat-activated in the case of stuff like sculpey or a curing process that happens when you mix in a catalyst, as with epoxy.

P.S. Good job on the G.I. Joe.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BizarroAzrael posted:

IM2 toys.
Speaking of Iron Man 2 toys, did the Black Widow figure ever actually get released? I know the Whiplash one eventually did show up at retail, but I never saw the Black Widow one.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The good stuff works via an actual chemical reaction, either heat-activated in the case of stuff like sculpey or a curing process that happens when you mix in a catalyst, as with epoxy.

Have to recommend Aves Apoxie sculpt, I've used the stuff forever and it's always solid.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

You can also harden sculpey by boiling it :ssh:

Apoxie or Makins Clay are what I use. Makins clay air dries in about 24 hours, dries really hard, is decent for sculpting, and is really cheap. You can get it at Hobby Lobby or here http://prairiecraft.com/kato/M32002.html It comes in a bunch of colors, but I always just use white. It dries hard enough that I can sand it down or drill into it with my dremel after it dries and paint adheres to it wonderfully.

All of the sculpting on my Metroid figures from last year was with Makins Clay.

http://www.toymania.com/customcorner/cc25/metroid_r.shtml

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Iron Man 2 toys, did the Black Widow figure ever actually get released? I know the Whiplash one eventually did show up at retail, but I never saw the Black Widow one.

If you mean the 4" one, it didn't and probably won't. It was meant to be in a Target exclusive 3-pack along with helmet-less Stark and Rhodes as well. It was supposed to come out around the holidays last year, but Target was so over-flooded with Ironman figures that they canceled it.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 20, 2011

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

That's interesting. I've never run into air-dry stuff that actually worked. Did they figure out some crazy formula where it doesn't shrink? I might give that a shot at some point.

I've always heard good things about Apoxie but I have yet to mess with it. Really the only epoxy putty I've used extensively was games workshop "green stuff," which I picked up on a whim. It's not my favorite thing to sculpt with texture-wise but I use it for gap filler, minor details and small finishing touches where I don't want to risk heating up the figure again.

I mentioned boiling sculpey. Its baking temp. is also the exact boiling point of water, so it makes sense, but putting the water there seems like an unnecessary extra step to me.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

That's interesting. I've never run into air-dry stuff that actually worked. Did they figure out some crazy formula where it doesn't shrink? I might give that a shot at some point.

I've never had a problem with it cracking or shrinking. The texture's a little weird at first because it's different than sculpey, but it's not so different that you can't sculpt with it. At $3 a pack, it's cheap enough to buy and mess around with.

Here's some WIP shots of a Kingdom Hearts Pete I did last year. The white parts are all Makin's Clay: the pounches, straps, buttons, zipper, shoulder pads, hands eyebrows.

and finished

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
No shrinking! Aves has about a 1-1.5 hour working time and depending on how long you've had it mixed you can use it for different things. I've heard good things about other brands, just I speak from what I've used.

Here's a WWE Maximum Aggression CM Punk turned The One Above All:

He's more of a straight forward sculpt, nothing really fancy or technical. The antennae were made from sculpting over bamboo skewers as well, so the same technique works with Aves haha.

Punisher turned Rick Grimes head that I did for a friend:

Apoxie sculpt works great even for wispy stuff such as hair. It's a little pricey if you're buying the smaller packs, but honestly, craft store stuff isn't much cheaper. A lot of people recommend the more expensive "Fix-it" Sculpt, I don't. If you need something done quickly and extra hard, like a weapon or something, fix-it is great for that stuff, but I prefer the extended workability time and price of the apoxie sculpt.

If you're doing a lot of sculpting/sanding with apoxie, I highly recommend taking some protective measures such as skin protectants/masks.

SBS-46 is a solvent-resistant cream that comes in a tube, you rub it into your hands and you can sculpt without gloves. Apoxie is a major pain to get off your hands; sometimes it sticks and makes it hard to sculpt and you always run the risk of sensitization (allergy of sorts). SBS-46 is about $10 a tube and I wish I had found it sooner as mixing/sculpting are about a thousand times more pain free with it.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Some new shots from C2E2 of the Legion of Super-Heroes set:

Wildfire, Supes, Chameleon Boy
Timber Wolf & Brainiac 5, along with El Dorado, Black Vulcan, Samurai, Captain Boomerang, and some awesome looking old school Batman & Joker figs, which I haven't see previewed before

I also really like the GL vs Manhunter diorama; check out Tomar Re's wrestling moves.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Thanks for the generalsjoes recommendation. The number of pictures with the reviews really helped to figure out the differences between the runs. I really dig the Pursuit of Cobra line and hope that they eventually do more characters rather than different versions of a handful of characters.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

It may be because I haven't slept, or maybe because I'm an immature perv at heart, but that's a whole lot of phallic background.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

sba posted:

I've been trying to get into customs, it's a nice way to relax and keep busy. This is the first I've been really proud of, it's a 25th style GI Joe Airtight.

Original Figure: http://yojoe.com/action/85/airtight.shtml

Whoa, nice job. Airtight was always standout.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

VitaminZinc posted:

It may be because I haven't slept, or maybe because I'm an immature perv at heart, but that's a whole lot of phallic background.

Why is it yellow? Seems like a bad color choice considering what it's supposed to be...

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I dug out my box of DCU so if you're looking for anything, PM me. I'm slowly selling out minus a few selects.
Or email me, cocomonkeh, gmail.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 29, 2011

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Do you have Copperhead or Abin Sur?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
How do you paint Marvel Universe figures? Are enamel paints kosher? How do I go about disassembling and reassembling them?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Use model acrylic paints like Testors or Citadel. Marvel Universe figure are pretty easy to disassemble, everything but the shoulder joints. The hips and head are ball jointed and will pop right off, everything else will pull apart if you give it a hot water bath for a few minutes.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Found me some loving Archangels today. ULTRA psyched about this poo poo.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

Found me some loving Archangels today. ULTRA psyched about this poo poo.

I watched a guy at Target have employees open two cases of figures and only take the Archangels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Fish Of Doom posted:

Use model acrylic paints like Testors or Citadel. Marvel Universe figure are pretty easy to disassemble, everything but the shoulder joints. The hips and head are ball jointed and will pop right off, everything else will pull apart if you give it a hot water bath for a few minutes.

I'm screwed then. I'm trying to take Dark Hawkeye's right arm off and paint parts of it flesh tone so it looks more like regular Hawkeye. drat it.