Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I once bought an autographed copy of the Achewood cook book.

It now belongs to a girl who doesn't speak to me anymore.
Yeah? Give me her number. (Don't worry, I just want the cookbook.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Help me out here. I've wanted to know for years. What are chilly Stellas?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
It's a (sort of) Belgian beer.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 10, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Dodgeball posted:

A Stella Artois is a Belgian lager affectionately referred to as "Wife Beater" in the UK due to its comparatively high alcohol content (for a lager) when it was released. They have some pretty classy adverts, but basically the "wife beater" tag has stuck.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

A Stella Artois is a Belgian lager affectionately referred to as "Wife Beater" in the UK due to its comparatively high alcohol content (for a lager) when it was released. They have some pretty classy adverts, but basically the "wife beater" tag has stuck.

5.2% was considered high? drat, what a bunch of pansies.

It's also often referred to as "crispy Stellas" by Achewood fans, since that comic used the phrase on at least one occasion, and probably several more.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

ChuckDHead posted:

In America it has a completely different reputation. It's actually considered somewhat classy. I'm pretty sure this is for no other reason than it is imported.

choobs fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 10, 2011

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

This is true, I drink Stella all the time and people take the piss out of me. Except my wife, she knows better *cracks knuckles*

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Dodgeball posted:

google, man.

as far as Stella being good or bad, even severe beer nerds say that it's decent (for a mass-produced InBev product, anyway).

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McGravin posted:

Yeah? Give me her number. (Don't worry, I just want the cookbook.)

Well, she does live in Athens...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Stella is a decent little lager to drink casually I suppose.

Dark Chicken
Dec 15, 2002

ChuckDHead posted:

I thought it was called wifebeater for the same reason why certain shirts are called wifebeater: A Streetcar Named Desire.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Dark Chicken posted:

I thought it was called wifebeater for the same reason why certain shirts are called wifebeater: A Streetcar Named Desire.

You're presuming a lot more literacy from chavs than I think is actually present.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gomi posted:

You're presuming a lot more literacy from chavs than I think is actually present.

Sadly chavs aren't the thugs from A Clockwork Orange with a wonderful taste in art and music that almost balances out their brutality just twats with poo poo clothes.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

funkybottoms posted:

google, man.

as far as Stella being good or bad, even severe beer nerds say that it's decent (for a mass-produced InBev product, anyway).

It's alright on tap, but the green bottles make it skunk really easily.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

choobs posted:

In America it has a completely different reputation. It's actually considered somewhat classy. I'm pretty sure this is for no other reason than it is imported.

It has a name that doesn't sound like it's spelled.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Gomi posted:

The image of a bunch of chavs having some sort of Tenessee Williams book club is strangely charming, all drinking White Lightning and reading The Glass Menagerie while occasionally pausing from to menace passersby.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

google, man.

Tried that first, but thanks for playing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Dodgeball posted:

Tried that first, but thanks for playing.

okay, dogg. guess what kind of friday it is.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

a no comic friday

:downsrim:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

Dogg, we sayin' up hell of yo mama jokes in the thread.

Yo mama got such a thick beard, you catch her and the bitch says where treasure is hidden!

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Dodgeball posted:

Dogg, we sayin' up hell of yo mama jokes in the thread.

Yo mama got such a thick beard, you catch her and the bitch says where treasure is hidden!

Like... a pirate? I don't... :confused:

Your mama is so classy, she showers with her legs crossed.

Your mama is so hot, old people retire and move to her.

Your mama's teeth are so straight, they make yours look gay.

Your mama is so nice, the mafia left a whole pony in her bed, with a bow.

Your mama is so understanding, she let you go to art school.

Your mama goes to bed at such a reasonable hour, she is always perfectly rested.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I feel like I was just in a Yo Mama contest with Beartato.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I feel like I was just in a Yo Mama contest with Beartato.

Close! All of those were shamelessly stolen directly from a Bear and Kitten comic. Unfortunately, the website for Bear and Kitten is completely broken right now so you can't see how awesome the rest of it was/is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The only enjoyment I've gotten from Achewood lately has been telling my friends it updated and then laughing at their dissapointment. At least it's only another week or so 'til the next "I'm back, honest!" comic.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
There are exactly four things that Google suggests to me when I type in the words chris onstead.

chris onstad twitter
chris onstad depression
chris onstad hiatus
chris onstad portland

in that order. I imagine them as a story web where every point connects to every other point.

edit: like this

Al! fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 18, 2011

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Recently I've been trying to learn Illustrator and had the notion to put together an elaborate Achewood parody about Onstad's creative slump as practice. I quickly realised that I'm nowhere near funny enough so just finished off this little sequence and called it quits.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tenterhooks posted:

Recently I've been trying to learn Illustrator and had the notion to put together an elaborate Achewood parody about Onstad's creative slump as practice. I quickly realised that I'm nowhere near funny enough so just finished off this little sequence and called it quits.

What, are you kidding? That's awesome man! Maybe if you keep it up it'll shame Onstad into working more.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Tenterhooks posted:

:haw:

That's pretty good and totally mean you should be ashamed of your funny self.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm disappointed because I thought it was a new achewood.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah me too, my heart skipped a beat and then I realised.

It's still really good though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone hack achewood.com and post it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yeah, seriously. That is The New Achewood.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Actually... apparently this is the new Achewood.

It updates M-W-F. Heh.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Tricky Ed posted:

It updates M-W-F. Heh.

I... I see no cartoon cats struggling with life's everyday challenges :(

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

He's done guest weeks before, why not now when, you know, he needs them?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Tricky Ed posted:

It updates M-W-F. Heh.

how bad do they want to be McSweeney's?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dodgeball posted:

He's done guest weeks before, why not now when, you know, he needs them?
Because even if he had a guest week, how would he fill the other three weeks of no comics?

Also, to end depression-speculation, here is an interview where he states that he does not suffer from depression, at least in the Roast Beef sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All jokes and venting and stuff aside, I would just really enjoy reading a new Achewood comic strip, and it's always disappointing to check and not see a new one. I hope we get another strip at some point soon.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
No matter what happens I hope Dark Horse keeps printing the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theboop
Mar 20, 2011
what's been goin' on:

http://bit.ly/eBCDCf