Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Well the way the scenarios are set up, the game is going to be biased in favor of the goon squad. When PTN has the #1 choice of unit take on the #2 choice of unit, it's natural that the people watch the unit they wanted to see win getting thrown into a somewhat imbalanced fight is going to bring up some grumbling. If it were just Mexigoons vs a different random unit, there would probably be less complaints, because it wouldn't be direct opposition.

Also, Death Commando supporters in this case have to "put up with" songs and poo poo in favor of the Mexigoons (which I've got no problem with, but its still a very slanted form of thread support), and many cases of "Not sure why you people are supporting the bad guys. :smug:"

Cheap shots were/are getting thrown both ways. =P

Fair enough. However, don't put words (or smilies in this case) in my mouth. How was I acting smug? Previous post has been edited to remove the controversial line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

landcollector posted:

Fair enough. However, don't put words (or smilies in this case) in my mouth. How was I acting smug? Previous post has been edited to remove the controversial line.

It wasn't just you I was referring to, you just had the most recent case. I wasn't trying to single you out, but look back a few pages. There are people who were more smug about it than you.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Zaodai posted:

It wasn't just you I was referring to, you just had the most recent case. I wasn't trying to single you out, but look back a few pages. There are people who were more smug about it than you.

Hmm, I see. Anyway, regardless of the scenario's end, I look forward to both it (after all, I'm guessing phyrric victories are not uncommon in the setting...) and to the next scenario.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
If there are horrible deathtraps planted around the hostages, will the Tech Platoon be able to disarm them? Might want to get them in to the vicinity, at least, just in case PTN starts a countdown after the active threats are eliminated.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Preechr posted:

If there are horrible deathtraps planted around the hostages, will the Tech Platoon be able to disarm them? Might want to get them in to the vicinity, at least, just in case PTN starts a countdown after the active threats are eliminated.

I am moving there, I am just not very fast, like at all.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Magni posted:

Also, this whole scenario has already been a de facto disaster for the Death Commandos. [...] they've ended up taking heavy losses in return for killing a small part of a FWL regiment and some children. That's not a good deal for a unit as small and elite as the Death Commandos. They're going to run out of soldiers before running out of Texicans at this rate.

Assuming the point of the whole thing is to damage the Caballeros, this is true. I will say: someone is laying down the proverbial gauntlet; but I won't say whether or not the Caballeros are even a blip on the radar.

Mukaikubo posted:

At this point, I'm starting to hope PTN doesn't bother giving us a choice about who to play anymore, because it only seems to inspire irritation and upset stomachs and carping in the thread.

We've seen everyone but the Lyran Commonwealth and ComStar, so the next choice is going to be between the two of them; after that, you'll probably get to be the Draconis Combine and Capellan Confederation.

Tempest_56 posted:

But I CAN shoot the loving building out from under him.

It's hardened (120 structure, minimum), I wouldn't bother. But you know what costs no heat? Kicking infantry.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

We've seen everyone but the Lyran Commonwealth and ComStar, so the next choice is going to be between the two of them; after that, you'll probably get to be the Draconis Combine and Capellan Confederation.

Oh man. Can't wait for that. Here's hoping rounds in the next game go a wee bit faster, though. This one has gone on for months.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Gothsheep posted:

Oh man. Can't wait for that. Here's hoping rounds in the next game go a wee bit faster, though. This one has gone on for months.

It is a bit weird. The first battle took 10 days. I guess having more units to roll for makes it take a bit longer. Hopefully that doesn't deny us the chance of having crazy company sized goon units in the future.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

KnoxZone posted:

It is a bit weird. The first battle took 10 days. I guess having more units to roll for makes it take a bit longer. Hopefully that doesn't deny us the chance of having crazy company sized goon units in the future.

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly did enjoy the larger and heavier conflict with all these units on the board. When the clans show up, I wonder if there'll be many people cheering for them?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
It looks like it will come down to a lucky hit. That BJ can jump around, fire his two undamaged medium lasers and keep his heat in check the whole time.

Whether the players go for killing the BJ first or trying to kill all the infantry remains to be seen. But I'd be shocked if all the hostages died at this point. It is only a matter of how many live through this next round.

Edit: With the cryptic musings of Poptarts I should amend that statement. I would be shocked if via the players not killing the enemy in time all the hostages would die.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 20, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Artificer posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly did enjoy the larger and heavier conflict with all these units on the board. When the clans show up, I wonder if there'll be many people cheering for them?

I would, if it weren't stunningly likely that we'll be fighting the clans next battle- which I'm in. And it's poor form to defect without being brainwashed for six months first.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

It's the infantry and the special rules that bog things down for me. I wanted the Caballeros to get a special scenario, and I'm paying for it because there's a lot more to keep track of then there is in a more usual knock-down drag-out fight. It is making me reconsider my plan for trying to play a football-type scenario (with giant robots); but I haven't given up on that plan yet.

There're other factors as well: some people aren't being as prompt as they could be with their e-mails; I'm being lax about correcting them 'cause most of them are new and trying to choose between several good (and bad) options; work and health issues have been kicking my rear end lately (in a literal sense, I overworked myself and collapsed about two weeks ago and spent a couple of hours in the hospital); but most of those problems are clearing up which means the next scenario should be a lot faster.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 20, 2011

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's the infantry and the special rules that bog things down for me. I wanted the Caballeros to get a special scenario, and I'm paying for it because there's a lot more to keep track of then there is in a more usual knock-down drag-out fight. It is making me reconsider my plan for trying to play a football-type scenario (with giant robots); but I haven't given up on that plan yet.

There're other factors as well: some people aren't being as prompt as they could be with their e-mails; I'm being lax about correcting them 'cause most of them are new and trying to choose between several good (and bad) options; work and health issues have been kicking my rear end lately (in a literal sense, I overworked myself and collapsed about two weeks ago and spent a couple of hours in the hospital); but most of those problems are clearing up which means the next scenario should be a lot faster.

Don't sweat it, PTN. I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about it. The game has been great so far.

EDIT: Also, I just reread your post, and yikes! Take care of yourself, man.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

.....work and health issues have been kicking my rear end lately (in a literal sense, I overworked myself and collapsed about two weeks ago and spent a couple of hours in the hospital)

:stare: Yeah, uh. You might want to chill out a couple of turns. Don't want to overheat and have an ammo bin explosion. Where would this LP be, then?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's hardened (120 structure, minimum), I wouldn't bother. But you know what costs no heat? Kicking infantry.

Aw hell. My notes must have which building is which mixed up. Re-sending my orders then - I thought that was the medium building.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

:stare: Yeah, uh. You might want to chill out a couple of turns. Don't want to overheat and have an ammo bin explosion. Where would this LP be, then?

I'm fine, I'm just stubborn and tend to work harder when I'm angry (and people not showing up makes me angry). This is the first time it's actually come back to bite me on the rear end (proverbially). I really am fine (and looking for a less physical job).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Jesus PTN, where do you work? Also, everyone is loving incompetent at my job 'cept me and one co-worker, so I know how that feels.

Anyways, sorry bout not sending my moves. Should I run up and justice foot the blackjack?

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
It may be worthwile switching to megamek earlier. In my experience, doing something similar to this with friends, it works quite well with each player controlling their dedicated mech and assigned support units, all the logs are saved for cutting and pasting into LP format, too. Might save some hassle and help keep things moving faster.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Xmas Future posted:

It may be worthwile switching to megamek earlier. In my experience, doing something similar to this with friends, it works quite well with each player controlling their dedicated mech and assigned support units, all the logs are saved for cutting and pasting into LP format, too. Might save some hassle and help keep things moving faster.

From last month, when this was brought up:

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd have to alternate movements if I was playing Megamek, which would require save-states which Megamek doesn't appear to support. I.E. It doesn't let me do things quite the way I want.

Which... I'm reasonably certain there's a way to make everyone on a team move before everyone on another team, if that's the issue. I'll dig through the rules when I get home. I know PTN was originally at least planning on transitioning to Megamek later in the thread, but I don't know if the savestate thing killed that idea off entirely or not.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Mukaikubo posted:

Which... I'm reasonably certain there's a way to make everyone on a team move before everyone on another team, if that's the issue. I'll dig through the rules when I get home. I know PTN was originally at least planning on transitioning to Megamek later in the thread, but I don't know if the savestate thing killed that idea off entirely or not.

If nothing else, turn off initiative streak compensation and give everybody on the designated "wins initiative" team a +12 Initiative modifier, thus absolutely garunteeing they win initiative every time. Then you just need to figure out how to make the entire opposing team move at once instead of alternating like they're supposed to.

It might be possible. Have to dig through the settings to find the right combination, if it's there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mukaikubo posted:

From last month, when this was brought up:

I think Xmas is talking about a live multiplayer event, rather than using it to log turns. Poptarts had mentioned switching to that format as a future option.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

If nothing else, turn off initiative streak compensation and give everybody on the designated "wins initiative" team a +12 Initiative modifier, thus absolutely garunteeing they win initiative every time. Then you just need to figure out how to make the entire opposing team move at once instead of alternating like they're supposed to.

It might be possible. Have to dig through the settings to find the right combination, if it's there.

Well, if you turned on individual initiative, and gave all the pilots on the designated team +12 initiative, you'd have all the players on one team moving at once, just in a random order, which wouldn't be too bad. If you wanted to ensure a certain order, you could give the first one +12, the second +24, the third +36, and so on.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think Xmas is talking about a live multiplayer event, rather than using it to log turns. Poptarts had mentioned switching to that format as a future option.

That would in fact make much more sense in context. :downsrim:

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jesus PTN, where do you work? Also, everyone is loving incompetent at my job 'cept me and one co-worker, so I know how that feels.

Anyways, sorry bout not sending my moves. Should I run up and justice foot the blackjack?

Don't think you can, it's standing on a height-2 hardened building. Justice foot the infantry running to kill hostages, they're in the open. I don't remember if you have to be in the same hex as infantry but I think you might have to be.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
I've said it before but doing simultaneous movement (you write your rules down and wait for other people to email/pm you their moves and resolve any stacking issues with a roll/physical attack before entering the rules into megamek) will allow for megamek bookkeeping without worrying about psr/init roll issues.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LyrCom? Time for me to start campaigning for the 2nd Donegal Guard: Caesar's Legion. Did you know Caesar Steiner is undefeated vs the 2nd Sword of Light?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Defiance Industries posted:

LyrCom? Time for me to start campaigning for the 2nd Donegal Guard: Caesar's Legion. Did you know Caesar Steiner is undefeated vs the 2nd Sword of Light?

Start? You have been campaigning for the 2nd Donegal since they first became a choice. I might actually vote for them this time, if they come up again.

I would take no small measure of amusement if PTN completely wrote them off in the next update ala GDL, however.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jesus PTN, where do you work?

The busiest Wal*Mart in the country. I push carts. :downs:

KnoxZone posted:

Start? You have been campaigning for the 2nd Donegal since they first became a choice. I might actually vote for them this time, if they come up again.

I would take no small measure of amusement if PTN completely wrote them off in the next update ala GDL, however.

They're on Somerset, since Duke Aldo is irritated by Caeser's antics. :ssh:

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Also, Death Commando supporters in this case have to "put up with" songs and poo poo in favor of the Mexigoons (which I've got no problem with, but its still a very slanted form of thread support), and many cases of "Not sure why you people are supporting the bad guys. :smug:"

Cheap shots were/are getting thrown both ways. =P

Forget the flavor and the written 'verse faction love for a second and look at it as just a game. A game where there are a number of players controlling one force and a single moderator controlling their opposition.

Sort of like a D&D game.

Put in that light, rooting for the commandos is like rooting for the DM. It's bound to make folk sore.

I acknowledge that it is not a perfect metaphor, but I think that's why the "bad guys" stuff is getting slung around in response to your cheers at the Commandos success and lamentations at the Caballeros victories. And bringing the flavor back into this, from what I understand the Death Commandos are pretty disreputable. As an outsider to the BattleTech flavorverse, it is difficult to comprehend why anyone would side with/want to portray them other than they kick names and take donkeys.

Doing the math, the forces weren't all that unbalanced to start, and the Caballeros have suffered some pretty substantial losses. It seems pretty clear they were meant to win, so sour grapes seem a little pointless, quiaff?

On another topic, Lyrans or ComStar? With ComStar likely fighting the Clans (I think PTN even said as much far earlier in the thread...?), my vote will likely go to the Lyrans if only because I feel that ComStar versus the Clans might not give a true appreciation for the Clans and what they represent at this point in IS history.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Brandy Collins posted:

On another topic, Lyrans or ComStar? With ComStar likely fighting the Clans (I think PTN even said as much far earlier in the thread...?), my vote will likely go to the Lyrans if only because I feel that ComStar versus the Clans might not give a true appreciation for the Clans and what they represent at this point in IS history.

I just don't want to be a telephone repairman in a mech. Lyrans all the way, baby.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I just don't want to be a telephone repairman in a mech. Lyrans all the way, baby.

I agree. ComStar are sons of bitches. Let's kick their rear end, and then make them apologize to us when the Clans invade and they need our help.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did you just suggest the best use of the justice foot I have ever heard? :hawaaaafap:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Brandy Collins posted:

Forget the flavor and the written 'verse faction love for a second and look at it as just a game. A game where there are a number of players controlling one force and a single moderator controlling their opposition.

Sort of like a D&D game.

Put in that light, rooting for the commandos is like rooting for the DM. It's bound to make folk sore.

I acknowledge that it is not a perfect metaphor, but I think that's why the "bad guys" stuff is getting slung around in response to your cheers at the Commandos success and lamentations at the Caballeros victories. And bringing the flavor back into this, from what I understand the Death Commandos are pretty disreputable. As an outsider to the BattleTech flavorverse, it is difficult to comprehend why anyone would side with/want to portray them other than they kick names and take donkeys.

Doing the math, the forces weren't all that unbalanced to start, and the Caballeros have suffered some pretty substantial losses. It seems pretty clear they were meant to win, so sour grapes seem a little pointless, quiaff?

The forces may be balanced (ish), but the rules generally aren't. PTN has slanted the tactical side of it reasonably heavy in the favor of the Mexigoons, because they're learning. Which from an LP standpoint, I have no problem with. As far as how it affects the side I'm backing in the fight, I grumble a bit. =P

Also, I'd say a better metaphor is rooting for an opposing sports team in your own local stadium. It'd be like living in Boston and cheering for the Yankees. There's going to be irrational hatred and the like because you're cheering for an equally skilled but "morally" inferior alternative. I like the Death Commandos because they're the bad guys. And because they're pretty much the one thing the Cappellans have going for them. I'm fine with people questioning the morality of the choice, but not so much when they're just bashing the support of the Death Commandos because they're one dimensional characters, as if the band of drunken mexicans is somehow more creative and diverse. They're more happy and cheerful, but they're not exactly bastions of outstanding character development. The smug face is because at least a few people have been looking down their noses at us cheering for the DC because they like the Caballero fluff better, as if that is a universal truth. And that's what was irritating and double-standardy.

</rant>
:commissar: (It means more tacos for the survivors.)

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 21, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, and I just thought I'd point out: the hostages killed isn't necessarily 'hostages being executed every turn'; more... 'the total number of hostages who will be dead at the end of the scenario'. The turn-by-turn is just a metric to not have the Capellans just, y'know, inferno a building full of people.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Brandy Collins posted:

I acknowledge that it is not a perfect metaphor, but I think that's why the "bad guys" stuff is getting slung around in response to your cheers at the Commandos success and lamentations at the Caballeros victories.
There is also the slight "murdering children" thing to consider. I mean....

:godwin:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The busiest Wal*Mart in the country. I push carts. :downs:

Wow, I would never have expected that. You write way too well to be pushing shopping carts for a living. Please tell me you are still in school?

Seriously, employers are impressed by an ability to write. Christ, just send your ST:O thread to Cryptic along with a cover letter. I'm not even kidding, it would probably take you a few hours to figure out how to send it and a few more to actually do it. Compared to the possible benefit it would be worth the time.

I'm seriously not kidding. I knew a girl with an English Lit. degree who sent a list of all the computer games she had ever played along with a cover letter and writing sample to Microsoft, and they hired her for 70K a year. Last I heard she was doing script editing for the Mass Effect series.

If it only takes a few hours of work, things like that are always at least worth a shot.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Did you just suggest the best use of the justice foot I have ever heard? :hawaaaafap:

I did the math. In theory we could inflict around 90 damage to it this turn, which would be enough for it to collapse under the Blackjack's weight. But that would mean making both the Rifleman AND the Wolverine shut down due to heat, possibly making the Wolverine explode in the process, and doing less damage than the Lancelot just shooting the drat thing is likely to cause.

Trust me, if it was at all reasonable I would LOVE to kill the bastard by collapsing it, but it just isn't possible to do.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
How about I walk to the infantry, shoot the gently caress outta the blackjack, then justice foot the infantry.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow, I would never have expected that. You write way too well to be pushing shopping carts for a living. Please tell me you are still in school?

Seriously, employers are impressed by an ability to write. Christ, just send your ST:O thread to Cryptic along with a cover letter. I'm not even kidding, it would probably take you a few hours to figure out how to send it and a few more to actually do it. Compared to the possible benefit it would be worth the time.

I'm seriously not kidding. I knew a girl with an English Lit. degree who sent a list of all the computer games she had ever played along with a cover letter and writing sample to Microsoft, and they hired her for 70K a year. Last I heard she was doing script editing for the Mass Effect series.

If it only takes a few hours of work, things like that are always at least worth a shot.

I agree with Arglebargle. The ST:O LP Thread was a very enjoyable read. You gave characters more personality than you would think thumbnail pictures could have. Plus you created the tribble collective. Best tribbles...ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

How about I walk to the infantry, shoot the gently caress outta the blackjack, then justice foot the infantry.

Infantry shoot back, you know.

as my Valkyrie can attest to, a squad of infantry at point blank can do a number on your skeletal justice legs.

• Locked thread