Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just thought I would point out that if you are using Biomod you CANNOT crouch-stealth-run with the speed augs, as enemies will now hear you and investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

ToxicFrog posted:

Deus Ex (and Thief, System Shock, Ultima Underworld, Terra Nova, and Flight Unlimited) designer Doug Church has been hired by Valve.

Hooooly poo poo, this is exciting.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Gadzuko posted:

Try it sometime, you can easily move at running speed while crouched with the speed aug in vanilla
This is like the toilet Coriolis Effect of Deus Ex

http://www.bobfaheysite.com/dxweenie.htm#fast

To summarise, "When crawling even with speed fully upgraded, you'll move only half as fast as a Silent Runner runs."

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Still, the jumping. And the landing off of rooftops.
Really, people needn't even consider vanilla run-silent. Even it doing what it says it will is kinda useless.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

No it isn't, it can be very useful to run and jump silently, especially when playing a melee game.

I'm not trying to argue it's better than Speed, because it's not. To dismiss it as useless however is misguided, it's a perfectly decent aug.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Iggles posted:

No it isn't, it can be very useful to run and jump silently, especially when playing a melee game.

I'm not trying to argue it's better than Speed, because it's not. To dismiss it as useless however is misguided, it's a perfectly decent aug.

The fact that you have to activate it and it uses bioenergy makes it useless.

Shifter (or was it biomod?) got it right. Passive with no drain.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you are just the right mix of bold, crazy, and lucky, you can "sneak" by using speed to silently leap past enemies while they're looking away, land somewhere they can't see you, then turn it off and stealthily skedaddle to a good hiding spot when they run over to find out what the hell made that giant THUD OOF sound. It's extremely touch-and-go, but I managed to make it work at the airport level. The mole people tunnels, on the other hand, are always a bastard to sneak through because of how cramped and crowded they are :(

That's what I ended up doing; kinda fun in its own way. Also going through flares like crazy, plus using regular darts to divert attentention. No GEP gun, no sniper rifle, and I'm not gonna keep the Dragontooth either when I get it. The Blackjack is a good substitute (still in the non-lethal race). I'm tempted to use the Magnum on the MJ12 commandos eventually, though. Just a pity it won't take a silencer.

The way Zyme works in Shifter is pretty neat. Plant a gas grenade, attract attention, leave the incapacitated ones for a moment while you down a vial and deal with the ones who won't advance beyond the gascloud; then leisurely club their mates into oblivion.

Btw, I'm not finding any flare darts at all in the latest (1.8.4) Shifter. I only got to the first Hell's Kitchen stage in the version before that and already had quite a collection of them by then. Apart from the fact that they're fun to use, I remember they seemed to be counted as non-lethal.

Also curious about Anachronox now. Is it as much fun as DE?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Underflow posted:

Also curious about Anachronox now. Is it as much fun as DE?

It's absolutely amazing but if you can't stand JRPGs than don't even bother.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I have not played this game through. :eng99:

It has become my number one priority to do so.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I love the first game but I have never played Deus Ex Invisible War. Is it worth it?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Social Animal posted:

I love the first game but I have never played Deus Ex Invisible War. Is it worth it?

No.

No. No. No.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
goddamnit not this poo poo again.

Short version, without pages of debate, yelling and bans: Try it, technically it sucks (small maps, lots of loading times etc), the story is generally regarded as OK, and the gameplay has flaws but can be fun.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Social Animal posted:

It's an OK game, but a crap Deus Ex sequel.

It might not run properly, too; my new laptop has awful frame rates, crashes and suffers from 2-3 minute loading times between the tiny tiny zones, which make it unplayable.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

The Supreme Court posted:

It's an OK game, but a crap Deus Ex sequel.

This nails it on the head. If you're judging Invisible War on its own, it's not bad. If you're judging it against the first game, you're better off sticking a finger in your eye for 3-4 hours.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Iggles posted:

To dismiss it as useless however is misguided, it's a perfectly decent aug.
It's better than no aug at all, but the only way I would ever use it over speed would be for the sake of using it rather than an actual utility fulfilled.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Cheezymadman posted:

This nails it on the head. If you're judging Invisible War on its own, it's not bad. If you're judging it against the first game, you're better off sticking a finger in your eye for 3-4 hours.

I really liked the story in the first game so part of my interest is to see what happens next. I guess I'll give it a shot and see how far I go.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Social Animal posted:

I really liked the story in the first game so part of my interest is to see what happens next. I guess I'll give it a shot and see how far I go.

DX:IW isn't really "what happens next", and kinda shits over the ending to the first game

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, it takes a bit from all three endings, and then moves on like it didn't really happen, and JC is just chilling there with his AI buddy in his head doin' his thing.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Samopsa posted:

Yeah, it takes a bit from all three endings, and then moves on like it didn't really happen, and JC is just chilling there with his AI buddy in his head doin' his thing.

That's a gross simplification. DXIW spoilers ahead:

The way the endings were combined: JC and Helios combined to form whatever you want to call the combination of the two, but in the process caused the same global catastrophic collapse that had its own ending in the first game. JCelios may or may not have done that by accident. Henton used the last of his power to teleport to Antarctica and set up a base there so he could regain his power and develop a way to unite the world without the help of the old Echelon system. (He's not just chillin' there m8)

The Illuminati weren't affected by the global communications collapse so much, as they'd spent most of their existence coming up with ways to easily control smaller governments. They move in immediately after the Collapse to easily create the Order and WTO, two ostensibly warring factions really united, each balancing the other in order to cater to a huge amount of the population.

Say what you want about DXIW's gameplay or coding, but the story was not bad, and I felt that the endings were combined satisfactorily.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 19, 2011

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Well, the game took place 20 years after DX1. In that time, JChelios (is that a latin name?) did nothing, and the worldwide downfall of international communication has been solved. So JC is doing his thing and nothing else really changed is not that far off I guess!

I'm not saying the story sucks or whatever.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
The combination of the endings is pretty much the only thing that Invisible War does really well. It's definitely the best solution to that problem. The alternative is just picking one as the canon, but as we all know, the whole point of the endings in Deus Ex is that none of them were "right". So just picking one would have been a much worse choice.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Samopsa posted:

Well, the game took place 20 years after DX1. In that time, JChelios (is that a latin name?) did nothing, and the worldwide downfall of international communication has been solved. So JC is doing his thing and nothing else really changed is not that far off I guess!

I'm not saying the story sucks or whatever.

My explanation for this is that JC is, despite UNATCO's insistence, dumb as a rock.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Samopsa posted:

JChelios (is that a latin name?)

He plays for the JRed Wings.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Hard Clumping posted:

My explanation for this is that JC is, despite UNATCO's insistence, dumb as a rock.

I think this is cemented over and over again in the original game. I believe the conspiracy runs even deeper: UNATCO just wanted to get rid of JC, and put poo poo in motion to make Paul and JC defect so they could kill 'em off without questions asked. However, the dumb stubbornness of the AUGMENTED brothers ultimately triumphed. I mean, all three endings are pretty dumb. Merge with a relatively unknown AI? Blow up the world center for all communication? Give everything to a shady group bent on controlling the world? Why the hell not take everything over yourself with your allies (Tong, Paul, Alex, Jaime, NSF, Silhouette, Triads, Savage, Smuggler, etc, you could have ballin' parties at A51).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Samopsa posted:

Why the hell not take everything over yourself with your allies (Tong, Paul, Alex, Jaime, NSF, Silhouette, Triads, Savage, Smuggler, etc, you could have ballin' parties at A51).

You could, it was the 4th ending.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I think that Invisible War is more than compatible with the original DX. I agree with the above that JC was clearly as thick as poo poo, so it took him a bit longer to get used to the merge than Helios was expecting. During this lengthy adaptation time, the illuminati crew came in and stole most of the hardware, whilst Tracer Tong ineptly tried to blow up the whole of area 51. Helios and JC escaped just in time before TT's 8th attempt accidentally succeeded when a Greasel ran into a reactor.

That's probably all bollocks, if I'm being honest I never got around to playing Invisible War despite being a huge DX fan. I didn't have a computer that could run it at the time and it's never something which has made it to top of my list since.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You could, it was the 4th ending.

gently caress, you are absolutely right! forgot about the best ending. PARTYZONE!
For the unknowing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The most apathetic dancing I have ever seen.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

It could be worse, it could be the dancing from Bloodlines.

Gadaffi Duck
Jan 1, 2011

by Ozmaugh

What a shame.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Pope Guilty posted:

He plays for the JRed Wings.

gently caress YOU JCHELIOS

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

XausF1 posted:

It's absolutely amazing but if you can't stand JRPGs than don't even bother.

Never played one. I had a quick peek at the Machinima film they strung together from cutscenes and that looks all right, but if the gameplay is endless grinding and battling outlandish monsters in cartoon surroundings then it ain't for me.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

WHO WANT TO DANCE WIF ME

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I have just realised that the crossbow, instead of having some odd plastic base, is actually strapped to JC's hand.

How have I not realised this :psyduck:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Walton Simons posted:

I have just realised that the crossbow, instead of having some odd plastic base, is actually strapped to JC's hand.

How have I not realised this :psyduck:

Must have been that burning sensation behind your eyes. Only recharge your bioelectric levels when they've been significantly drained.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of sudden realizations, I just discovered that pointing a gun with the laser sight at a mirror will actually reflect the dot onto the appropriate surface :aaaaa:

The laser doesn't seem to help at all though. Half the time when I'm going for a stealthy kill with the stealth pistol and use the laser, I either miss or get a non-headshot, even if I let the sights settle.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

404notfound posted:

The laser doesn't seem to help at all though. Half the time when I'm going for a stealthy kill with the stealth pistol and use the laser, I either miss or get a non-headshot, even if I let the sights settle.

Are you using Shifter or Biomod? If I remember correctly, both of them gimp the laser.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

404notfound posted:

Speaking of sudden realizations, I just discovered that pointing a gun with the laser sight at a mirror will actually reflect the dot onto the appropriate surface :aaaaa:

When you have the laser on, ignore the sights. The bullet goes exactly where the laser is pointing, and nowhere else.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know if this was posted yet but Deus Ex GOTY and the sequel are both $4.00 at direct2drive and $3.20 each with "specwar5" promotional code. The promotion ends tomorrow and I don't know how long the DE sale will last but it's been going all week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Male Man posted:

When you have the laser on, ignore the sights. The bullet goes exactly where the laser is pointing, and nowhere else.

Confirming this. You gotta get really really good at counter-following the laser with my mouse and getting headshots that way.