Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

lol *shrug* all right then I guess that's a valid argument and you don't totally seem like a moron

Whatever, I don't think I've said anything wrong and I think that I justified my 6/10 score fairly well. Sorry for not following your opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Putting aside the fights (which I think are awesome), Kurosawa is so human and that's what I love about his movies. I love samurai fight scenes as much as the next person, but that's not why I watch Seven Samurai. It's to watch the interactions between the peasants, samurai and bandits, and the wafer thin separation of their ambition.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SGRaaize posted:

Whatever, I don't think I've said anything wrong and I think that I justified my 6/10 score fairly well. Sorry for not following your opinion.
I disagree with your opinion on Seven Samurai but I do agree that you've explained your opinion. It's just weird for someone to point out what you consider a strength as a weakness. I don't agree that the film is boring or particularly slow, but I can totally see someone feeling that way. On the other hand the the fight scenes are generally considered one of the strongest points of the film, so for someone to cite them as not just something they didn't get but as an active negative is striking.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

The Godfather- Shameful. The mob, kissing rings, flashbacks, and guns. That's about all I know.

You're about to know alot more.

I finally got around to watching Shawshank Redemption, and considering it's probably the most hyped movie currently in existence, it held up. I wouldn't say it's my favourite, but it's hard to find faults in this one. I think the one thing that really frosted this cake for me was the detail which most movie makers simply don't care about. Really glad I watched it. If I had to grade it, it'd be a 9/10.

#1. Shawshank Redemption I've seen about a third of this movie at some point. I have lots of movies like this and I'm terrible at going back to them.

#2. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly I've seen atleast a dozen westerns as a kid, remember nothing of them and have no idea wether this is one of them. The idea of "I've probably seen it" has kept me away from it.

#3. Schindler's List I've heard alot of praise about this one, but every time I'm looking to watch a movie, I have a more appealing alternative present.

#4. 12 Angry Men I never saw this movie before I saw dozens of other takes on the same concept and figured it's original appeal in it's time would now be lost on me.

#5. Citizen Kane This is a movie I've almost watched like 5 times, the first times I just couldn't find a copy anywhere but as of late have been spoiled abit and don't want to finish watching another hailed classic with a reaction of "meh"

#6. Apocalypse Now The premise sounds rather dull.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Hra Mormo posted:

#4. 12 Angry Men

Watch this immediately. IMO it stands up better than anything else on your list.

The Bicycle Thie(f/ves) is maybe the most accurately Italian film I've ever seen, especially with the matriarchal women and family loyalties, as well as utterly charming and dispiriting. The film manages to really get over the sense of desperation and poverty well, and that final scene is heartbreaking. Lived up to the hype.

The List:

1. The Bicycle Thieves. I don't know why I've never seen this, it's always seemed very interesting

2. Cinema Paradiso. Tried twice to watch this, interrupted both times and never been back

3. The Big Lebowski. Got bored once and never went back to it, it didn't really click for me

4. Manhattan. I've seen Annie Hall several times and most of the newer stuff, but never this.

5. Easy Rider

6. Raging Bull - both of these were regular suggestions at uni film nights, neither of them ever got seen.

7. Gregory's Girl. Everyone who's seen this film seems to rave about it, but I've not seen it.

8. Some Like It Hot. I don't know why I haven't seen this yet, had it mentally queued up for a while.

9. The Fountain. Seems like one of those cult films that I totally missed

10. The Other Guys. Not as classic as the others, but supposedly very very good.

11. Shawshank Redemption. Too young when it came out, and I've never been back to it.

Seen:

Bicycle Thieves 9/10

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Just watched The Usual Suspects, a pretty good movie, unfortunately, this is one of those movies that are very well done but I am sorry I didn't watch them while not knowing anything that was going on. My knowledge on the plot was beyond limited, but I knew this had one of the best twist endings of all time, so I spent the whole movie trying to discover the twist before it happened. It was such a brilliant and well put finish I didn't see it coming even though I was trying hard to do so, however, I felt like it was kinda cheap, relying itself purely on the fallacious narrator, instead of dropping hints. Which cheapens the effect a lot. Aside from the mildly disappointing Twist in the storyline sense, the whole movie was pretty good, everything was pulled off perfectly, from the small hints trying to frame everyone (The only person which I didn't think was Soze at one point or another was the Explosives guy and of course, Soze himself) and all the intense moments, all the facts being well hidden, the way the Police made a fake twist ending that made it all look perfect. Etc, etc. The characters were also pretty entertaining and aside from a few nitpicky plotholes, the storyline was good all the way through.
So, yeah, consistently good movie that has intense moments and a great double-bluff-twist at the end, but the reliance on the fallacious narrator and the movie overall being a movie that purely based itself on the plot twist bring this a little notch down. 7/10

delicious beef, you're watching Raging Bulls

My list:

Shawshank Redemption - I am 100% sure it is incredibly over rated, and the concept bores me

The Godfather Part 2 - Enjoyed the first one, never got around to watching the second one, probably because I read the book and lost interest.

12 Angry Men - Actually don't know anything about this one

One Flew Over at the Cuckoo's Nest - Sounded boring

Once Upon a Time In The West - Not a big fan of Westerns, the Man With No Name trilogy being the exception

Rear Window - Been spoiled, know everything that happens in this movie, from start to finish, saw parodies of it, overall, I have absolutely no reason to watch this movie.

Memento - Now with the Cristopher Nolan craze due to Inception and The Dark Knight, I heard of this movie, which is apparently one of the best movies ever according to IMDB, and I was interested in it.

The Lives of Others - Never heard of it, read the concept now, sounds interesting

The Departed - Seems like a badass movie, was gonna watch it on the Cinema, but ended up watching another thing.

Reservoir Dogs - Not sure why, but I never thought of watching this movie before, even though I heard a lot about it.

Pulp Fiction 8/10 Goodfellas 7/10 Seven Samurais 6/10 The Usual Suspects 7/10
[/quote]

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

SGRaaize I'll give you a reason to watch Rear Window. Grace Kelly. :allears: And a whole lot of other things, go watch Rear Window, even if you know how it goes, it's an amazing movie.

Absolutely loved Vertigo. Yeah the plot was a bit daft and there was something a bit off with the script(what the gently caress was going on with that letter?), but I think everything else covers up the slip ups. From Hitchcock's keen eye for detail, to the cinematography, to the music(the music!), to Jimmy Stewart's performance(even if he was to old to the part) and that ending. I don't really care if it was dumb, but my heart skipped a beat when that shadow emerged from nowhere.
Quite a multi layered movie too, as there seems to be several themes and concepts running in the background, not to mention that it feels like Hitchcock is mirroring himself in Jimmy Stewart's character in the third half, with all the obsession over one woman.
Really great movie, and I think my favorite Hitchcock movie so far.(Seen:Rear Window, Psycho, Frenzy, Shadow of a Doubt, The Birds, Topaz)

The Shame List:

Yojimbo I seen the Dollars trilogy which one of the movies in it, is a remake of this, but due to laziness never got around to see the original.

Once Upon a Time in America It's so long...

Dial M for Murder And now in 3D!

Bicycle Thieves Never finished watching this one, should watch the rest of it but I'm lazy. Way to lazy.

Magnolia I'm not sure what it's about, only that it was made by the same guy who made There Will Be Blood, and that movie was brilliant. This should be too, hopefully.

Infernal Affairs Now that I have seen The Departed, got to watch the original!

La Grande illusion Sounds like a good place to start Renoir as any other.

On the Waterfront No excuse really...

Days of Heaven Only saw TTRL from Mallick, need to get around the rest of his catalog.

Brazil Another movie that I just keep delaying from watching for no real reason.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

Yojimbo I seen the Dollars trilogy which one of the movies in it, is a remake of this, but due to laziness never got around to see the original.

This movie is awesome.

The Lady Vanishes is an excellent movie. It has a great mix of humor, suspense, mystery and even action. I loved every character on that train. If the comedy in Hitchcock's suspense movies is so good, I wonder if his comedy movies are amazing?

1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Internet favorite, I really don't know much about it.

2. A Clockwork Orange - Biggest Kubrick film that I haven't seen yet.

3. The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns! I'll be getting this next on my netflix queue so don't bother recommending it.

6. The Thin Red Line - Never seen a Malick picture. This looks like it has a pretty great cast.

7. Platoon - I don't think I've ever seen an Oliver Stone movie.

8. The Lady Vanishes Dial M for Murder - MURDER!

9. The Sting - Sounds fun.

10. Jules and Jim - More French...stuff.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

If the comedy in Hitchcock's suspense movies is so good, I wonder if his comedy movies are amazing?

Just had this conversation in the general chat thread. Everybody loves The Trouble with Harry but apparently not Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

Just had this conversation in the general chat thread. Everybody loves The Trouble with Harry but apparently not Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

I think I actually might prefer Smith by a hair.

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
Atheistdeals.com, watch A Clockwork Orange

Watched the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I must admit, I didn't like it for about the first half hour, to the point where I almost turned it off. But once things got going, I found a very enjoyable movie with an interesting plot. Unfortunately, I also felt like the last twenty or so minutes could have been left off. 7/10

My List:

Girl Who Played With Fire: Only makes sense to put this on the list now

Twelve O'Clock High: I'm a fan of old war movies

The Basketball Diaries: There's something intriguing about watching a person fall from grace

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

Out of Sight: Been sitting on this one for a while

The Informer: I understand this is a must-see

The Passion of Joan of Arc: From what I've heard, a must-see classic

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Hoffa: I'm a sucker for anything dealing with the mob

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10, The Producers 7/10, Malcolm X 7/10, [Rec] 10/10, The Pianist 8/10, The Virgin Suicides 5/10, The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia 7/10, The Road Warrior 8/10, Winchester '73 8/10, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 7/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Well good. Now I can put it back on my to-watch pile.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah, Trouble With Harry is beautiful (Shirley MacLaine :swoon:) but sometimes it's downright boring and not all that funny. I've only seen Mr. and Mrs. Smith once, and my memory of it is a bit hazy, but I remember enjoying it far more than I did Harry.

When I first saw Smith I didn't know it was directed by Hitchcock. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I remember a lot of the shots with Robert Montgomery (especially the cabin) make it look like he's about to straight up murder his wife.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

bluefire579 posted:

The Passion of Joan of Arc: From what I've heard, a must-see classic

I haven't seen any of these but I've heard this is great, so there you are.

Finished Orpheus. I liked it overall, though I found it confusing at many points. Cocteau's visuals are so interesting that I was willing to follow the film even when I wasn't sure exactly what was going on, and I have a feeling there's a lot of dream logic at work here, so that works well.

Updated list:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious. I have access to Taste of Cherry and Ten.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

4. 1940s: Mildred Pierce- I loved Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood, couldn’t stand Yankee Doodle Dandy, and feel that I need to see more Michael Curtiz. How about this supposed masterpiece that Todd Haynes is remaking for HBO with Kate Winslet. Also: I’ve never seen a Joan Crawford film.

5. 1950s: Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

6. 1960s: The Manchurian Candidate- I’ve heard nothing but good things but never got around to it.

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The Right Stuff, Orpheus

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

meanmikhail posted:

6. 1960s: The Manchurian Candidate- I’ve heard nothing but good things but
The only movie on your list I have actually seen. I enjoyed it more than the Denzel remake. Here's my first post in this thread...

1. The Godfather - I honestly can't think of a reason. Pure neglect here.
2. The Godfather part II - I felt I should see the first one before I saw this one.
3. The Good the Bad and the Ugly - Was never much of a Clint Eastwood fan. Now I am and this seems like a decent place to start.
4. 12 Angry Men - It was black and white and I was ignorant and stupid.
5. Casablanca - See above.
6. Citizen Kane - See above.
7. City of God - I hadn't actually heard of this movie until I checked the IMDB list.
8. Rear Window - I heard it compared to Disturbia once which kinda turned me off.
9. Memento - I put it off because I heard it was complicated and hard to follow.
10. Taxi Driver - Never had much interest in De Niro.

I'm new to this, so go easy on me.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Treebeh posted:

10. Taxi Driver - Never had much interest in De Niro.

Then this is a movie you should watch.

Army of Shadows is a film of such magnificent quality, it's strange to think this classic wasn't released in the U.S. until five years ago. Stylistically, it has close similarities with Le Samourai. Melville's cool, precise direction allows scenes to build tension and atmosphere without much too much overt melodrama. I was impressed by the cinematography which relied on muted colors, dark lighting and realistic locations. The plot is elegant in its simplicity. Unlike a lot of movies, I guess, there is no single objective this Resistance is trying to "blow up". They're simply trying to survive, and must endure a series of difficult choices and hardships.

Updated list:

The 400 Blows One of those classics obliged to watch at some point

The Bicycle Thief Languishing at the top of the queue

La Dolce Vita Have never seen this or any other film by Fellini.

The Asphalt Jungle Catching up with Huston and noir

On the Waterfront Marlon Brando's performance as a longshoreman. It doesn't sound immediately gripping but I know it has an extremely good reputation.

Reds This one seems to be the most epic in scope of Warren Beatty

Annie Hall Adding a comedy to this list

Gandhi Can this movie hold my attention for the running time? The Academy believes it’s worthy.

Barton Fink Recommended to me as a Coen brothers film.

The Insider I can get down with Michael Mann and Al Pacino any time, plus, intriguing subject matter.

Watched: Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep, Army of Shadows

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Getrud is probably my least favorite Dreyer, but that's still right up there as a great movie. The camerawork is breathtaking, and the opening scene that just kept going and going is heartbreaking and incredible. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie falls short of that high water mark. I felt like it was a big influence on Barry Lyndon, Eyes Wide Shut - particularly that scene in the beginning where Kidman tears Cruise apart - and Autumn Sonata. Gertud and Gustav's inability to look each other in the eye was really striking.

Noctaurus, On the Waterfront. It's a keeper.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

New one: Duel in the Sun I like duels.

Red Riding 1974 I can't decide if this looks very good or totally lovely.

Comradeship I hope this is Pabst's BLUE RIBBON film!!

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Our Hospitality I thought this was a short. It's not.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Diabolique I think I'd really like this.

The Awful Truth I don't have any interest, but I'm tired of it turning up on every "see this loving movie" list.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 20, 2011

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

penismightier, give Our Hospitality a shot, it's a lot of fun.

Raging Bull - De Niro is excellent but I never really got going with this. For a film about glory and decline it felt oddly flat somehow. The post-boxing scenes were some of the best, but they often felt like unconnected vignettes in a way. The boxing cinematography is excellent though, and I enjoyed it, just never felt properly engaged. It didn't help that the main character isn't really sympathetic, at least not in the middle of the film.

The List:

1. The Bicycle Thieves. I don't know why I've never seen this, it's always seemed very interesting

2. Cinema Paradiso. Tried twice to watch this, interrupted both times and never been back

3. The Big Lebowski. Got bored once and never went back to it, it didn't really click for me

4. Manhattan. I've seen Annie Hall several times and most of the newer stuff, but never this.

5. Easy Rider

6. Raging Bull - both of these were regular suggestions at uni film nights, neither of them ever got seen.

7. Gregory's Girl. Everyone who's seen this film seems to rave about it, but I've not seen it.

8. Some Like It Hot. I don't know why I haven't seen this yet, had it mentally queued up for a while.

10. The Other Guys. Not as classic as the others, but supposedly very very good.

11. Shawshank Redemption. Too young when it came out, and I've never been back to it.

12. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Just one of those films that you hear about in the background of everyday life yet never seek out.

Seen:

Bicycle Thieves 9/10, Raging Bull 7/10

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

delicious beef, I'm tempted to give you The Big Lebowski because it's fantastic, but there will be plenty of people to give you that one. So go with Easy Rider. Great movie.

Princess Mononoke - I enjoyed Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro, but this one just felt weighed down by its convoluted storyline. I also regret watching the English version, as the voice acting by well-known actors was distracting. Billy Bob Thornton was the worst. I loved the animation though. Absolutely stunning. 72/100

New list:

Das Boot - This is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

Ran - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen nearly as many of his films as I should have. Can't wait to watch this.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Grave of the Fireflies - Another highly praised anime I have not seen.

Cool Hand Luke - Looks good. Anxious to check it out.

12 Angry Men - 96/100
All About Eve - 85/100
Spirited Away - 85/100
Once Upon a Time in the West - 95/100
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - 85/100
The Bridge on the River Kwai - 94/100
Touch of Evil - 89/100
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 93/100
Princess Mononoke - 72/100

EDIT: decided to add my Criticker ratings.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 20, 2011

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

caiman - See Life is Beautiful. It's okay to cry a little.

2. The Godfather part II - I felt I should see the first one before I saw this one.
3. The Good the Bad and the Ugly - Was never much of a Clint Eastwood fan. Now I am and this seems like a decent place to start.
5. Casablanca - See above.
6. Citizen Kane - See above.
7. Raging Bull - I'm adding this because I just saw Taxi Driver and I want more Paul Schrader.
8. Rear Window - I heard it compared to Disturbia once which kinda turned me off.
9. Memento - I put it off because I heard it was complicated and hard to follow.
new10. Eyes Wide Shut - It's next on my list of Kubrick movies.

Taxi Driver
Wow, I have trouble putting my feelings about this movie into words. The only other time I felt this way was after I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time. I've never been good at writing reviews so I'm just going to say that I may have to reconsider my "Top 5" movies list.

Seen from this thread:
Taxi Driver (*****)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Treebeh posted:

Taxi Driver
Wow, I have trouble putting my feelings about this movie into words. The only other time I felt this way was after I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time. I've never been good at writing reviews so I'm just going to say that I may have to reconsider my "Top 5" movies list.

Seen from this thread:
Taxi Driver (*****)

If you're anywhere near an AMC theater, check their listings for Tuesday night, because they're showing a 4k digital restoration of Taxi Driver at 8 pm. They showed it last night, I would've caught it but I was at work. No sweat, I can wait till Tuesday (though honestly I may have caught both showings if possible).

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Treebeh, sometimes its okay for a movie not to be in color, so give Casablanca a chance.

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu was the first movie on my first list in this thread, and I've finally seen it. It was slow, but very good. There is a mounting sense of futility that grows throughout the movie, as Mr. Lazarescu is transported from hospital to hospital, all of them finding an excuse to not operate on him and send him somewhere else. Some of the doctors are assholes who just don't want to do any work, and some are genuinely trying to help, but are burdened with a bus accident that fills up the hospitals. A poster for this movie calls it "The most acclaimed comedy of the year", but I have to assume something got lost in translation, because there was not one shred of dark humor. 4/5

Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
A Bittersweet Life
The Koreans haven't let me down yet.
Mona Lisa
Don't know much about this, but it sounds good.
Beauty and the Beast
Seen a lot of love for this.
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
This sounds very similar to Deathtrap. I hope its better.
Brief Encounter
Its gonna be a Lean night.
Night of Cabiria
I haven't seen enough Felini.
Ben-Hur
I'm going to reserve a spot on my shameful list for the movie on the most lists at iCheckMovies. I'm really not looking forward to this one, but its on 22 lists.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
TenSpadesBeTrump, you get the wonder that is Ben-Hur, though make sure you have four hours to kill

The Passion of Joan of Arc is a movie that I felt suffered greatly from being a silent movie, one of the very few I've seen that I've felt that way about. The visuals were solid for the most part, but having an entire trial like that really killed the experience for me. 5/10

My List:

Girl Who Played With Fire: Only makes sense to put this on the list now

Twelve O'Clock High: I'm a fan of old war movies

The Basketball Diaries: There's something intriguing about watching a person fall from grace

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

Out of Sight: Been sitting on this one for a while

The Informer: I understand this is a must-see

Das Boot: Need to finally get around to this one

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Hoffa: I'm a sucker for anything dealing with the mob

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10, The Producers 7/10, Malcolm X 7/10, [Rec] 10/10, The Pianist 8/10, The Virgin Suicides 5/10, The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia 7/10, The Road Warrior 8/10, Winchester '73 8/10, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 7/10, The Passion of Joan of Arc 5/10

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

bluefire579 posted:

The Passion of Joan of Arc is a movie that I felt suffered greatly from being a silent movie, one of the very few I've seen that I've felt that way about. The visuals were solid for the most part, but having an entire trial like that really killed the experience for me. 5/10

Oh man. I just watched that while waiting for my next film to be sent. I can't feel any more different than you did: it was a film made for silent. It was incredible, the camera so powerful and dynamic when looking about, but static on her - her acting was just extraordinary and I felt every moment. I watched with the Einhorn score. This is the film that turns me on to silents.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

knees of putty posted:

Oh man. I just watched that while waiting for my next film to be sent. I can't feel any more different than you did: it was a film made for silent. It was incredible, the camera so powerful and dynamic when looking about, but static on her - her acting was just extraordinary and I felt every moment. I watched with the Einhorn score. This is the film that turns me on to silents.

I agree with this. I can't think of any possible way that hearing the speaking would improve the movie. The actress sells the whole the with her eyes

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

bluefire579 you get to watch Hoffa.

Watched Yojimbo and Sanjuro back to back, and they both great and cool movies. Yojimbo it's the better one overall with being much more focused thematically and technically, but Sanjuro is certainly the more light in tone and funniest of both. They both pretty good and Mifune just oozes awesomeness in both movies. Pity there aren't more movies with this character.
Now how does Sergio Leone remake and Eastwood stand to Kurosawa's epic and Mifune? Well, who the hell cares anyway? They all good movies and both Eastwood and Mifune play really well their characters. Can't we all just..get along?

The Shame List:

Throne of Blood Only Samurai movie from Kurosawa that I haven't seen yet.

Bicycle Thieves Never finished watching this one, should watch the rest of it but I'm lazy. Way to lazy.

Magnolia I'm not sure what it's about, only that it was made by the same guy who made There Will Be Blood, and that movie was brilliant. This should be too, hopefully.

Days of Heaven Only saw TTRL from Mallick, need to get around the rest of his catalog.

Brazil Another movie that I just keep delaying from watching for no real reason.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

Just watched it, so I'll pass along this great movie to you.

On the Waterfront was superb. As a tale of corruption and whistle-blowing, it ranks at the top. The story was quite suspenseful, with characters being pressed to testify against their superiors as the violence worsens dramatically. The music was effective at setting the mood, and there were some particularly good black-and-white shots. As far as dialogue, the top moments were the priest's speech, and the conversation between Terry and his brother in the taxi.

Possible spoilers for a half-a-century-old movie ahead. The film was apparently created in the context of McCarthyism hearings, to justify the director's "naming of names", but I did not think the film was completely effective at that. In the real anti-Communist hearings, people would "betray" their fellow co-workers. In the movie, this would be translated to Terry identifying for the mob certain people likely to squeal, something he was pressured to do. Instead, he has a change of heart and shifts his allegiance to the repressed longshoremen, choosing to testify against the indefensibly corrupt and reprehensible mob. This seems to be a self-serving vindication for ruining Hollywood actors' lives, who to my knowledge never murdered or extorted money from anyone. I read about this issue after watching the movie, and it doesn't detract from the film itself (which deserves all its acclaim).

Updated list:

The 400 Blows One of those classics obliged to watch at some point

The Bicycle Thief Languishing at the top of the queue

La Dolce Vita Have never seen this or any other film by Fellini.

The Asphalt Jungle Catching up with Huston and noir

Reds This one seems to be the most epic in scope of Warren Beatty

Annie Hall Some light-hearted comedy for the list

Fantastic Planet Animated French science fiction, looks bizarre

Gandhi Can this movie hold my attention for the running time? The Academy believes it's worthy.

Barton Fink Recommended to me as a Coen brothers film.

The Insider I can get down with Michael Mann and Al Pacino any time, plus, intriguing subject matter.

Watched: Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep, Army of Shadows, On the Waterfront

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

Noctaurus posted:

Fantastic Planet Animated French science fiction, looks bizarre

Noctaurus - Fantastic Planet will blow your mind and you will not know what to think of it afterwards.

Casablanca(***) - I know that I will probably be hated for saying this, but after seeing Casablanca, I have no idea why it is considered such a "holy grail" of cinema. I think perhaps it was revolutionary for its time but it does not stand up will to modern movie making. I give it a 3/5 because I was bored at times and the ending didn't particularly blow me away.

5. NEW - The Fly(original and remake) -Never really got around to either of them. The fact I am such a nerd for this genre of film only deepens my shame.
6. Citizen Kane - I clump this movie in with Casablanca, which I did not particularly enjoy.
7. Raging Bull - I'm adding this because I just saw Taxi Driver and I want more Paul Schrader.
10. Eyes Wide Shut - It's next on my list of Kubrick movies.

No longer ashamed:
Taxi Driver (*****), Casablanca (***)

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

Treebeh, try Godfather I, it lives up to the hype.

Easy Rider - This felt like a western, and I guess it was. I really enjoyed about 90% of this, it seemed to really capture a spirit and a time well and pretty much every performance is terrific. I felt that from the arrival at Mardi Gras the film lost it's way a bit though, and the ending felt a bit cheap. I did like how Fonda's character didn't feel the need to espouse his philosophy throughout. I have to wonder what the 220 minute version would have been like.

The List:

12. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Just one of those films that you hear about in the background of everyday life yet never seek out.

13. Eyes Wide Shut. One of two unseen Kubriks

Seen:

Bicycle Thieves 9/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Easy Rider 8.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Treebeh posted:

Casablanca(***) - I know that I will probably be hated for saying this, but after seeing Casablanca, I have no idea why it is considered such a "holy grail" of cinema. I think perhaps it was revolutionary for its time but it does not stand up will to modern movie making. I give it a 3/5 because I was bored at times and the ending didn't particularly blow me away.

Nobody ever accused Casablanca of being revolutionary, merely of being an incredible story told as well as possible.

Also, Casablanca and Citizen Kane are two VERY different types of movie.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 21, 2011

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

Nobody ever accused Casablanca of being revolutionary, merely of being an incredible story told as well as possible.

Also, Casablanca and Citizen Kane are two VERY different types of movie.

Well perhaps I'm just missing something then. Maybe I'll watch it again someday. Also, I'm consciously aware of that. However, I still unconsciously group them together in my mind.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

delicious beef watch The Big Lebowski, it's worthy. Hard to watch for the first time but if you approach it has a parody/love letter to film noirs, which it what the movie is, instead of a stoner movie or a 2 hour long Seinfeld episode, you can get more out of it.

As for On the Waterfront, well I subscribe everything that Nocturus said. I always believed that it was a movie, that the only thing noteworthy about it was Marlon Brando and the famous cab scene(which Raging Bull does the favor to spoil), but I was pleased to find out that there's to it than just that.

The Shame List:

Throne of Blood Only Samurai movie from Kurosawa that I haven't seen yet.

La Dolce Vita 8 1/2 is one of my favorite movies, but I gave up watching this one the first time. I shall preserver this time!

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

I really enjoy Paul Thomas Anderson and how he weaves his stories. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of this one as you did There Will Be Blood. Just know, same director, different kind of story.

Okay, just finished Seven Samurai and I quite liked it. It was a bit long, but I didn't really notice the length until the intermission screen came up. Kurasowa tells a really good story, awash with detail, but the movie never drowns in them. You got a great sense of each character and why there were fighting. Again, awesome story told extremely well. I think we're severely lacking in directors like this today.

Here's my updated list:

1. 8 1/2 - I have never, ever seen a Fellini film. Not even a single clip, to my knowledge. I have absolutely no idea what this is about, or if I should even start with this one to introduce me to that director, but everyone has it on their list and everyone raves about it.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Dancer in the Dark. Have no clue what this is about other than it has Bjork in it. I figure it was nominated for a reason and I should see it.

4. The Seventh Seal. Have not one clue what this movie is about, who's in it, or who directs it, but it keeps popping up in everyone elses lists and the reviews people come back with are good, so I'm adding it.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Lawrence of Arabia. Never even really heard much about this movie. I know it's a classic, but up until this thread, I never thought it was something I had to see. Here's hoping it's as good as everyone says it is and worth the time to watch it.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. It Happened One Night. Heard it's a very good early romantic comedy? Also, I've only ever seen Mr. Gable in Gone With the Wind, so it would be nice to have more exposure to his other movies.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Bodnoirbabe: This may be a stretch, but I have a feeling that if you like PTA's mise en scene, you're gonna love the three-ring circus that is 8 1/2. On some days it's my favorite movie.

Some Like it Hot: Holy moley, the innuendo. I laughed so hard. Lemmon is fantastic as always, Curtis somehow manages to be a little less sleazy than usual (this was the last movie I'd expected to see that in), and Monroe is...well, Monroe. Who's complaining? It's sort of snuck up on me, but I think Wilder might be one of my favorite directors now. Like, top five. He's just too good. 9/10

Updated:

1. The Battle of Algiers - I love films dealing with social conflicts, and gritty black and white photography, so the images I've seen from it are enticing.

2. Bringing Up Baby - I have no idea why I haven't seen this, I'm a fan of everyone involved.

3. City Lights - I've only ever seen The Great Dictator, but it was years ago. Bad, I know. I do love Buster Keaton.

4.Double Indemnity - Wilder, Chandler, I have no idea how I missed it. It's the only one of the "big name" noirs I haven't seen.

6. L'atalante - I love visually creative silent films, and the couple of scenes I saw in a documentary once were gorgeous.

7. Modern Times - Ditto re: Chaplin.

8. Sansho the Bailiff - Ugetsu blew me away; I've been meaning to explore some more Mizoguchi.

10. Sunrise - Note for #6 applies here, too.

11. My Darling Clementine - The ever-promising 3 F's: Ford, Fonda, and...Walter Brennan, I guess.

12. Stagecoach - Another, more obvious Ford. I've held off on this because the images I've seen make it look less visually striking than his later work, but that's not really fair, I guess.

Mission accomplished: The Godfather Part II - 9/10, Some Like it Hot - 9/10

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Aorist, you get The Battle of Algiers

So I finished watching 12 angry men, and being familiar with the concept and having seen many modern takes on it, I knew exactly what would happen and roughly what order going by the stereotype characters. Other than that, the pacing and the overall execution was so solid it might as well be the only movie with it's concept and nothing of value would be lost. I reckon an 8.5 would be about right for this one.

#1. Shawshank Redemption - 9/10

#2. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly I've seen atleast a dozen westerns as a kid, remember nothing of them and have no idea wether this is one of them. The idea of "I've probably seen it" has kept me away from it.

#3. Schindler's List I've heard alot of praise about this one, but every time I'm looking to watch a movie, I have a more appealing alternative present.

#4. 12 Angry Men I never saw this movie before I saw dozens of other takes on the same concept and figured it's original appeal in it's time would now be lost on me.

#5. Citizen Kane This is a movie I've almost watched like 5 times, the first times I just couldn't find a copy anywhere but as of late have been spoiled abit and don't want to finish watching another hailed classic with a reaction of "meh"

#7. Singin in the Rain It's been on TV a few times but I've never actually seen it save for some clips.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Electronico6 posted:

bluefire579 you get to watch Hoffa.

Watched Yojimbo and Sanjuro back to back, and they both great and cool movies. Yojimbo it's the better one overall with being much more focused thematically and technically, but Sanjuro is certainly the more light in tone and funniest of both. They both pretty good and Mifune just oozes awesomeness in both movies. Pity there aren't more movies with this character.
Now how does Sergio Leone remake and Eastwood stand to Kurosawa's epic and Mifune? Well, who the hell cares anyway? They all good movies and both Eastwood and Mifune play really well their characters. Can't we all just..get along?

Technically the character does appear in a couple of other movies, though not directed by Kurosawa, and nowhere near as good.

Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066603/
Incident At Blood Pass: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066031/

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

zandert33 posted:

Technically the character does appear in a couple of other movies, though not directed by Kurosawa, and nowhere near as good.
I still think to this day that Sanjuro Kuwabatake/Tsubaki is exactly how Wolverine should always be written in the X-Comics. He's always been somewhat close, but I think the more Wolvie's mannerisms resemble Sanjuro, the better.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Hra Mormo posted:

Just got finished with The Godfather, so recommending Apocalypse Now seems appropriate. It may sound dull but the way it is handled is absolutely manic.

The Godfather was a great way to spend an afternoon. I was engaged from start to finish even though I've seen many of the iconic scenes lifted and parodied in some other form. Pacino's journey is believable and now I would like to see Dog Day Afternoon because I just haven't seen that many of his appearances. An expected and enjoyable recommendation.

Hardware- A cult sci-fi flick I saw on a list of "best science fiction you've never seen". Welp, I've never seen it and it has an Alien meets Terminator vibe.

Dog Day Afternoon- Dustin Hoffman, right? I love that guy. edit: I'm totally wrong. It's Pacino.

Network- I know there's a prophetic speech about television. Or cathartic. One or the other.

Taxi Driver- A man likes to talk to himself and carry a gun. Maybe he drives a taxi?

Bonnie and Clyde- I know how this one ends.

The Maltese Falcon- I really want to see this one.

The Searchers- A good John Wayne movie. I like westerns.

Cabaret- Let's do a musical.

Fatal Attraction- A thriller featuring an obsessive psychotic?

Popeye- Yes. The one with Robin Williams.

No longer ashamed: The Godfather.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 22, 2011

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Hardware- A cult sci-fi flick I saw on a list of "best science fiction you've never seen". Welp, I've never seen it and it has an Alien meets Terminator vibe.

Hardware is pretty much a b-movie, and certainly won't make you think of Alien or Terminator. It actually has a pulpy sci-fi vibe. It's one of those imperfect movies that you will see, not think much of it at first, then a week or a few days later you'll find yourself thinking about it. It'll probably stay with you for awhile.

It's a pretty cool movie but don't go in thinking it's a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Taxi Driver- A man likes to talk to himself and carry a gun. Maybe he drives a taxi?

Lots of good stuff on your list, try this one out.

Okay, because Disney is loving obnoxious with their limited releases, neither Netflix nor the public library has Lion King. I wasn't that anxious to see it anyway. So here's my revamped list, just concentrating on specific checklists now:

Dodsworth (checklist: "1930s") - Looks okay. I like some Wyler.

One Way Passage (checklist: "1930s") - If nothing else, it's short.

Mutiny on the Bounty (checklist: "1930s") - I'm on a boat!

Beau Geste (checklist: "1930s") - Not a big Gary Cooper fan, but Wellman is sometimes good.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (checklist: "1930s") - Yeah I really should have seen this by now.

The Little Foxes (checklist: "1940s") - Looks good.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (checklist: "1940s") - Doesn't look that good.

I Remember Mama (checklist: "1940s") - Not "I Dismember Mama"

La grande guerra (checklist: "1950s") - I liked Big Deal on Madonna Street

Watch Out for the Automobile (checklist: "1960s") - Haven't seen much Russian comedy