Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?4078-MIUI-Evo-Gingerbread-is-here-%29-1.3.18-official-download-English-and-Chinese

MIUI Gingerbread (1.3.18) for the EVO :dance:

quote:

I will list known issues so far before the download link, so PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING before reporting any bugs.

Please remember, MIUI Gingerbread isn't even out yet for all the devices that the official Chinese MIUI devs support. There is still a lot to be done from their end.

1. The white text bug
This is due to the Chinese devs at miui.com slowly implementing the new UI. There is a workaround (using root explorer, where you cant read anything as an example)
Go to menu - settings - programs - manage applications - root explorer
Scroll down to "Compatibility mode" and turn it on.
This will make root explorer usable.
This workaround may not work on all apps!
It's annoying, yes, but it's what we have at the moment.

2. Restoring from 2.2 backup
I highly recommend disregarding your 2.2 MIUI backup (homescreen, apps, etc.) and starting fresh.
Yes, it is still possible to restore from your 2.2 MIUI build, but I've experienced a few force closes that were resolved by downloading the apps freshly from the market.
If you experience any weird behaviours from an app, please try uninstalling the backed up app, rebooting, and downloading freshly from the market.

3. AOSP lockscreen
MIUI lockscreen hasn't been implemented into the gingerbread build by the devs at miui.com It will come with time.

4. Unable to download from market
Open the "downloads" app, hit menu, and select download using mobile network to allow.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I was considering jumping to the G2 1.3.18 MIUI build, but it has a similar list of "gotcha's" that come with it. I'll hold off until things are a little more settled.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Civil posted:

I was considering jumping to the G2 1.3.18 MIUI build, but it has a similar list of "gotcha's" that come with it. I'll hold off until things are a little more settled.

Haven't run into many of the problems with it on the EVO yet (except for a boot loop which I fixed). Let's see what happens once I dive into it a little more. So far it's basically CM7 (AOSP) with MIUI stuff on top which is cool.

The loss of the MIUI lockscreen is a huge dealbreaker for me though, I might end up back on 1.3.5 or whatever.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 18, 2011

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump
is it me or has anyone else lost voice actions in CM7? it parses what I say perfectly, but then searches for it no matter what.

edit, not a CM7 problem, never mind, it was a locale problem, if it's listening in UK english, it can't do voice actions, which is kind of bullshit, but oh well.

editedit: I have to talk to it with an american accent! this is ridiculous!

ignore me now, not root related.

Iananan fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 19, 2011

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Civil posted:

It's a bit crap for the moment, honestly. I flashed my G2 back to CM7 after playing with it a bit. There's been a sudden increase in the amount of ROMs on xda, but there are basically only 3 choices for the G2:

CM6/CM7
MIUI (2.2/2.3)
Virtuous

Everything else seems to be either half-baked incomplete ports like the Meizu M9 port or the Honeycomb port, or alternately reskinned versions of CM7 that I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. CM7 all the way!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Iananan posted:

is it me or has anyone else lost voice actions in CM7? it parses what I say perfectly, but then searches for it no matter what.

edit, not a CM7 problem, never mind, it was a locale problem, if it's listening in UK english, it can't do voice actions, which is kind of bullshit, but oh well.

editedit: I have to talk to it with an american accent! this is ridiculous!

ignore me now, not root related.

Yeah, Voice Actions is still beta and anything still beta is for US customers only.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
For anyone running CM Nightlies, here is a nice webpage that parses the commits into a changelog of sorts. You can specify your device as well. Makes things a little easier to keep track of.
http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

It's a bit crap for the moment, honestly. I flashed my G2 back to CM7 after playing with it a bit. There's been a sudden increase in the amount of ROMs on xda, but there are basically only 3 choices for the G2:

CM6/CM7
MIUI (2.2/2.3)
Virtuous

Everything else seems to be either half-baked incomplete ports like the Meizu M9 port or the Honeycomb port, or alternately reskinned versions of CM7 that I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. CM7 all the way!
There is also a good liquid metal 2.2 port that I've been on for a week. It's a fresh take on widgets, the lock screen and launcher. Try it if you have time.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

deong posted:

For anyone running CM Nightlies, here is a nice webpage that parses the commits into a changelog of sorts. You can specify your device as well. Makes things a little easier to keep track of.
http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/
Hey neat, you can even hide translations. I like that. Now if only it were available in RSS format...

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
those of you with cm7 themes, where are you getting them? is there an app available on the market or do I have to get them from the internet and then load them onto my phone?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Picked up a nook color yesterday, rooted it, and I'm pretty much going to return it. If you're thinking about it, I'd recommend against it. Its painfully slow, especially watching any kind of decent resolution videos, and the web browser for the most part is poo poo.

Going to return it today and just pre-order the xoom wireless.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

DigitalMocking posted:

Picked up a nook color yesterday, rooted it, and I'm pretty much going to return it. If you're thinking about it, I'd recommend against it. Its painfully slow, especially watching any kind of decent resolution videos, and the web browser for the most part is poo poo.

Use the overclock kernel, don't use the lovely stock browser (Dolphin HD is good), and Android sucks at software video decoding, use this Handbrake preset to convert videos.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Kazy posted:

Use the overclock kernel, don't use the lovely stock browser (Dolphin HD is good), and Android sucks at software video decoding, use this Handbrake preset to convert videos.

My take on it is if its going to require me to reencode my library for watching, its just not worth saving some money over the Xoom.

Its a nice little tablet, and it was a lot better with the overclock kernel however. I'm just going to go with something with a little more expandability.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

LiquidRain posted:

Hey neat, you can even hide translations. I like that. Now if only it were available in RSS format...

Looks like they are working on it. See recent commits.

https://github.com/tonky/gae-cm-nightlies

edit: oh, nevermind, looks like the RSS stuff is for parsing, not emitting. :/

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

DigitalMocking posted:

Sounds like you actually wanted an iPad instead of a e-reader that could do cool stuff other than just read books. ;-)

Which is all fine and dandy. As long as that is what you're expecting.

Give Dolphin HD a spin. The stock browser is inexcusably bad. If most of your video is in 720p or higher, and needs to be scaled, nothing android is going to handle it well. yet. I think I get roughly 2/3 of the frames for any video it needs to do any serious scaling on. Which is about the same as my phone does.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Nerobro posted:

Sounds like you actually wanted an iPad instead of a e-reader that could do cool stuff other than just read books. ;-)

Which is all fine and dandy. As long as that is what you're expecting.

Give Dolphin HD a spin. The stock browser is inexcusably bad. If most of your video is in 720p or higher, and needs to be scaled, nothing android is going to handle it well. yet. I think I get roughly 2/3 of the frames for any video it needs to do any serious scaling on. Which is about the same as my phone does.

I was curious about what it would do really to be honest. I'm running the OC kernel right now and Dolphin HD and its so much better.

Its kind of growing on me, and I've got an entire subset of my videos that are re-encoded for the ipod4 that are playing just fine on the Nook Color, so maybe I'll keep it after all... or give it to MY WIFE, she's been eyeballing it since I put Dolphin HD on it :p

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006

the posted:

Droid here running CM6 rooted. Is CM7 nightly the way to go now? I see a lot of people saying they run CM7.

Also, do I just download and replace the update.zip on my storage card with CM7 and reboot the phone?

And with each nightly build do you guys just reflash your phones or something?

I've got a Moto Droid running CM6 too. I'd love to upgrade to CM7, but the nightly thread on the CM forums makes me wary. There have been alot of speed issues up until recently, and the hardware support seems to come and go. On top of all that our new maintainer has been slacking (he did move and have the flu recently, but damnit I want CM7).

The latest nightlies may be worth checking out. Remember to nandoird, and it seems restoring anything with Titanium Backup will cause problems. Let me know how it goes.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

cptn oblivious posted:

I've got a Moto Droid running CM6 too. I'd love to upgrade to CM7, but the nightly thread on the CM forums makes me wary. There have been alot of speed issues up until recently, and the hardware support seems to come and go. On top of all that our new maintainer has been slacking (he did move and have the flu recently, but damnit I want CM7).

The latest nightlies may be worth checking out. Remember to nandoird, and it seems restoring anything with Titanium Backup will cause problems. Let me know how it goes.

CM7 on the Droid is not great, and I doubt it will ever be as good as the Froyo builds. Give Project Elite a shot, I found it much faster than even CM6 on my phone.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
I had Swype come with my Samsung Captivate, but then I flashed Cognition and it only came with a 60-day trial. Is there any way to get the full version back?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

cptn oblivious posted:

Since that last post I upgraded to CM7 RC2. It was an easy upgrade, and I haven't had any problems so far. A few misc. program crashes, but nothing deal-breaking yet.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I was reading up on XDA on how to downgrade the firmware from 2.2.1 to 2.2 so I can root my LG Optimus P500. They list the following instructions:

quote:

1. You need to download the firmware of your device. Please check here the The_ERROR thread wich explains it very well:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=865479
2. Download KDZ updater from here and uncompress it
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...05&postcount=1
3. Install msxml.msi from the uncompressed directory
4. Conect your device (do not turn on disk storage) and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe (Has administrator).
5. Select Type : 3GQCT
6. Select PhoneMode : DIAG
7. In KDZ file : Choose the ROM file you downloaded in the first step
8. Press Launch software update and wait (It will be 10 minutes or so). In your phone it will appear "Emergency mode".

I know this sounds like a really newbie question, but I'm brand new to smart phones. Are these steps supposed to be completed on my smartphone, or via my laptop with the phone connected with the USB?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 20, 2011

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006

the posted:

Since that last post I upgraded to CM7 RC2. It was an easy upgrade, and I haven't had any problems so far. A few misc. program crashes, but nothing deal-breaking yet.

I seem to remember GPS or some other useful hardware being borked in RC2 and fixed in one of the later nightlies. I'd skip RC2 and checkout one of the later nightlies if I were you.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 15, 2014

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Liface posted:

I had Swype come with my Samsung Captivate, but then I flashed Cognition and it only came with a 60-day trial. Is there any way to get the full version back?

Uninstall the trial and sign up for the beta.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

melon cat posted:

I was reading up on XDA on how to downgrade the firmware from 2.2.1 to 2.2 so I can root my LG Optimus P500. They list the following instructions:

I know this sounds like a really newbie question, but I'm brand new to smart phones. Are these steps supposed to be completed on my smartphone, or via my laptop with the phone connected with the USB?

The .msi would be a program you'd install on windows. The .exe would be another program you'd run on windows (right click for admin priv), once you've plugged your phone in. From there, it looks like you'll just follow prompts where the windows program flashes your phone over USB. I've never had an optimus, so it's new to me for a rooting method, but sounds pretty straightforward.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Slopehead posted:

I finally got around to loading on Cm 6.1.1 onto my g2 the other day and now I am unable to change my text message received sound from the default one (a very upbeat calypsoish noise) which incidentally repeats itself until I unlock my phone and open up the message. This is virtually my only issue with CM6.1.1 so far. I am sincerely hoping that Cm7 stable is released soon as that poo poo isn't going to fly.

I have been pondering lately about the ROM scene and wondering why more developers don't post youtube videos of their roms in action on xda when they drop a release. I would freaking love to have a walkthrough of a particular rom before I go through the whole backup-wipe-flash-restore process.

PS: Why the hell does Cm6.1.1 insist on using my data connection constantly? I have data turned off most of the time as I only get 200mb/mo data (edge/gprs only) but the instant I turn it on it chews up some ridiculous amount of data even though all I am doing is trying to update a single app.
You really should be able to adjust your notification settings (maybe under Sound?) on CM 6.1 just fine, I know I was able to.

XDA people are notorious for not providing any explanations for what their ROM's are going to offer you, and screenshots and videos are rare. Luckily, there are plenty of others on youtube that have recorded demo's of most other roms, along with instructions, tutorials, etc for most anything you'd want to see.

The data usage would be the standard sync's that happen when you first install the new ROM, gmail, calendar, contacts, and picasa/gallery are going to start syncing up immediately. Jump in front of this by skipping the sign in, making sure you set up wifi, then launch something that requires google access, and then you won't use any of your data plan. Sync data will be minimal after that initial rush.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

cptn oblivious posted:

I seem to remember GPS or some other useful hardware being borked in RC2 and fixed in one of the later nightlies. I'd skip RC2 and checkout one of the later nightlies if I were you.

I'm running RC2 on my Droid and I took a long trip with the GPS today. There were some issues such as navigation turning off when I got a phone call once (and then routing me somewhere completely random) and later my phone rebooted.

I like having gingerbread but I think I'll give Project Elite a shot.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

quadratic posted:

Uninstall the trial and sign up for the beta.

Strange, I tried uninstalling the trial from the application manager but the uninstall button was greyed out, so I used Titanium Backup. Now I can download the Swype Installer but after I click on install it errors out with "Application not installed".

I'm guessing I just need to sideload it. How do I get the .apk and libswypecore.so?

Liface fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 20, 2011

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I am really unsure if I can post this question here. If it's :filez: let me know and I'll just edit this. I have a sony ericsson xperia x10a, with android 1.6. While sony put the update out for the rest of the world a while ago, its still unavailable in the US for some technical stuff I didnt see coming when I got the phone. So I'm wondering if rooting will let me upgrade my phone to 2.1 (not even the latest, I know). Having access to some of the latest apps would be nice and all.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

that's not files at all, and is actually one of the main reasons for rooting.

My advice would be to check xda-developers forum for that phone, specifically this thread.

Hope that helps, xda can be a nightmare.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Thanks loads for the quick reply! I want my phone updated, but don't really care a whole terrible lot about sideloading a different OS et al. Good to know I can root my phone to update it that way. Now to go do something naughty.

EDIT: That was really easy. My phone was rooted in like, ten minutes once I figured out what I needed.

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 20, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LiquidRain posted:

haha. This was on the page first thing this AM.

quote:

rss announcement
Hey guys! I've added RSS capabilities to pages. You can paste page link to your rss aggregators and let them find it, or you can use the link from the orange rss icon at the bottom of the page. Have fun! :}

edit: bleh. It's poorly done. In Greader it only gives links to the Nightlies commits. Does not just show up in the reader.

deong fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 20, 2011

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

Thanks loads for the quick reply! I want my phone updated, but don't really care a whole terrible lot about sideloading a different OS et al. Good to know I can root my phone to update it that way. Now to go do something naughty.

EDIT: That was really easy. My phone was rooted in like, ten minutes once I figured out what I needed.

good to hear it, It's a lot easier than it used to be, rooting my G1 was an ordeal, my nexus s was a breeze.

I have been trying out MIUI today, and while it's definitely pretty, I'm not sure it's for me. MIUI users, why do you prefer it? (I genuinely want to know, in case i'm missing something)

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Iananan posted:

I have been trying out MIUI today, and while it's definitely pretty, I'm not sure it's for me. MIUI users, why do you prefer it? (I genuinely want to know, in case i'm missing something)

I have been wanting to try out MIUI on my EVO for ages. I'm currently running Fresh, and tho its perfectly acceptable, I think I just want to try something new. I'd be interested in hearing this as well.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Iananan posted:

I actually don't like the MIUI launcher and prefer using Launcher Pro with it, but it's still one of my favorite ROM's. The theming engine on it is great, the menu options are far more sensible than AOSP android, and the lockscreen and SMS popups are terrific. Remember that you can still customize it to the way you want it to behave with minimal effort.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Iananan posted:

good to hear it, It's a lot easier than it used to be, rooting my G1 was an ordeal, my nexus s was a breeze.

Well, that's apples and oranges. The Nexus series comes with an unlocked bootloader. Granted the G1 was a pain but at least it wasn't a myTouch Slide or some other phone with a hosed bootloader.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Iananan posted:

Rooting was really easy, but now updating it is seeming like more and more of a gauntlet to run. I need to debrand my phone, but the methods suggested all seem to be out of date.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Civil posted:

I actually don't like the MIUI launcher and prefer using Launcher Pro with it, but it's still one of my favorite ROM's. The theming engine on it is great, the menu options are far more sensible than AOSP android, and the lockscreen and SMS popups are terrific. Remember that you can still customize it to the way you want it to behave with minimal effort.

im not a really big fan of the sms popup. and the lockscreen appears to be broken in this build.

they also appear to have made the gb keyboard worse somehow.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Well, that's apples and oranges. The Nexus series comes with an unlocked bootloader. Granted the G1 was a pain but at least it wasn't a myTouch Slide or some other phone with a hosed bootloader.

i managed to root without unlocking the bootloader though. but thats just kind of cheeky, and i did choose this phone because i knew i would be rooting it no matter what.

edit: to clarify, not what the MIUI lockscreen should look like:

right?

Iananan fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 20, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Iananan posted:

im not a really big fan of the sms popup. and the lockscreen appears to be broken in this build.

they also appear to have made the gb keyboard worse somehow.

i managed to root without unlocking the bootloader though. but thats just kind of cheeky, and i did choose this phone because i knew i would be rooting it no matter what.

edit: to clarify, not what the MIUI lockscreen should look like:

right?
Yep, that's the aosp lockscreen. They don't have the miui lockscreen worked into the 2.3 builds yet. I'm holding off until they re-complete the rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Ugh. I'm still trying to figure out how to downgrade Android 2.2.1 to 2.2 on my LG Optimus P500h. All of the links in the thread over at XDA are no longer working.

Does anyone know of any alternate means of downgrading?