Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

PlasticPaddy posted:

All these jrpgs I've been playing as of late have me feeling like a pansy. I need a scary horror game. I've already played all the Resident Evil and the (good) Silent Hill games. All I have is a PS2 and a 360.

Any suggestions?

It's a PC game so this might not apply, but Amnesia is genuinely scary and probably the best horror game out there in terms of actually frightening the player. The reason I bring it up is that the specifications are fairly low and it should run pretty well on most computers. It also runs on OSX and Linux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
^^^^Hey shepface comrade!

One thing in games I've always liked are huge conflicts between armies, and I'll play things like the Total War series to death. But a specific itch I've had is 'allied armies'. Let me explain...

I like the idea of taking control of your character, or even a small group and helping turn the tide of a large battle to the favor of your side. Examples of this would be Bladestorm: Hundred years war, the 'Warriors' series of games, and even Mount and Blade. I like having computer controlled allies fighting at my side to push back the enemy. So I ask, do you goons know of any similar games? Of course, the combat itself should be at the very least, mindless fun.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Category Fun! posted:

It's a PC game so this might not apply, but Amnesia is genuinely scary and probably the best horror game out there in terms of actually frightening the player. The reason I bring it up is that the specifications are fairly low and it should run pretty well on most computers. It also runs on OSX and Linux!
Not real big on PC gamin sadly. Thanks though.

How about the Fatal Frame series? Or Clock Tower? How do they measure up?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
Looking to sit down with a friend and waste a ton of time playing a game couch co-op. Are there any good recent PS3 games out that have a co-op story line mode? Google is failing me except for RE5.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

PlasticPaddy posted:

Not real big on PC gamin sadly. Thanks though.

How about the Fatal Frame series? Or Clock Tower? How do they measure up?

The premise of Clock Tower is similar to Amnesia, in that you are powerless against the enemy, and the most you can do to avoid a gruesome death is hide and hope you weren't spotted. The original SNES Clock Tower is a great survival horror point & click, and I highly recommend it if you play emulated SNES games. The game the US got as "Clock Tower" on PS1 is actually Clock Tower 2, and is a direct sequel to the first. Our Clock Tower 2 is a spin-off game originally called Clock Tower: Ghost Head that has no relation to the plot of the first two games.

Clock Tower 3 on PS2 kinda fucks it all up by having your enemies be overblown comic book villains and also you turn into Sailor Moon at the end of every chapter and beat them down in a boss battle; it still has its moments, though. I haven't played Haunting Ground, but it's kind of the spiritual successor to the Clock Tower series, and the general consensus seems to be it's a lot better than Clock Tower 3.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 12, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drakenel posted:

^^^^Hey shepface comrade!

One thing in games I've always liked are huge conflicts between armies, and I'll play things like the Total War series to death. But a specific itch I've had is 'allied armies'. Let me explain...

I like the idea of taking control of your character, or even a small group and helping turn the tide of a large battle to the favor of your side. Examples of this would be Bladestorm: Hundred years war, the 'Warriors' series of games, and even Mount and Blade. I like having computer controlled allies fighting at my side to push back the enemy. So I ask, do you goons know of any similar games? Of course, the combat itself should be at the very least, mindless fun.

You might like Brütal Legend if you view it in this light (A lot of people thought it was just a hack and slash brawler and hated it). I find the much maligned stage battle segments are a LOT more fun if you treat them more like the *Warriors games; just summon a rally flag to carry with you, make more units when you run low, and stomp around the battlefield with your army in tow just wrecking stuff. The battles aren't quite on the same scale as the examples you listed, because there aren't a million other NPC combatants doing their thing outside of where you're fighting, but it can still be fun.

Plus it's basically the most metal game ever made :black101:

MetalGnomes
Jan 27, 2011

PlasticPaddy posted:

All these jrpgs I've been playing as of late have me feeling like a pansy. I need a scary horror game. I've already played all the Resident Evil and the (good) Silent Hill games. All I have is a PS2 and a 360.

Any suggestions?

Dead Space is the most obvious example I can think of.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You might like Brütal Legend if you view it in this light (A lot of people thought it was just a hack and slash brawler and hated it). I find the much maligned stage battle segments are a LOT more fun if you treat them more like the *Warriors games; just summon a rally flag to carry with you, make more units when you run low, and stomp around the battlefield with your army in tow just wrecking stuff. The battles aren't quite on the same scale as the examples you listed, because there aren't a million other NPC combatants doing their thing outside of where you're fighting, but it can still be fun.

Plus it's basically the most metal game ever made :black101:

Oh, I remember playing that briefly at a friends, but I'd forgotten about it. I think I'll pick it up though now that I'm reminded of it, thanks.

Still, it seems like it's a rare breed though. Warriors games take my money because there's few alternatives to it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's also the game that inspired Brütal Legend, Sacrifice. Obviously it's a bit older but it was pretty well received when it came out (though I haven't played it).

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Deserves to be played at least once but it's probably quite dated now. At the time it was achingly beautiful and a kind of 'games can do this?' moment.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
Sorry if something similar to this has been mentioned, I haven't slogged my way through the entire thread yet.

I've seemed to hit a dry spell in terms of co-operative PC games. A friend and I love playing games together, but we're having a hard time finding something fresh/new to pick up. The games don't necessarily have to be co-op against the AI, they can be competitive team games that encourage teamwork. We've tried Dawn of War 2, various Battlefield games, GTA 4 online, Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead 1/2, Borderlands, Red Orchestra, several Rainbow Six games, and various Call of Duty games. We've played these to death.

Is there anything else out there that we can get some buddy action going on in?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Makky posted:

Sorry if something similar to this has been mentioned, I haven't slogged my way through the entire thread yet.

I've seemed to hit a dry spell in terms of co-operative PC games. A friend and I love playing games together, but we're having a hard time finding something fresh/new to pick up. The games don't necessarily have to be co-op against the AI, they can be competitive team games that encourage teamwork. We've tried Dawn of War 2, various Battlefield games, GTA 4 online, Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead 1/2, Borderlands, Red Orchestra, several Rainbow Six games, and various Call of Duty games. We've played these to death.

Try Magicka on Steam. Wizards that can combine elements to make custom spells on the fly in a Diablo esque kinda view. Two wizards turns the game into "everything blows up including us oh gently caress" kind of game.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Makky posted:

Dead Rising 2 and Resident Evil 5 are both pretty good and even designed around being played in co-op (RE5 a bit more than DR2). DR2 is really fun because you can just free-roam and dick about in a giant shopping mall filled with zombies if you feel like it,. RE5 on the other hand is, of course, very linear and straight-forward and it feels more like playing through a story-driven singleplayer game with your friend (as opposed to stuff like L4D or BF games), but it's a pretty fun experience.

EDIT: Alien Swarm is a pretty fun game as well (though it's more designed for 4-player co-op rather than 2 players, though you can play it with bots, of course). AFAIK there's just a single official campaign out for the game so far, but then again it's free on Steam and good for a couple of hours of fun.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 12, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Makky posted:

Saints Row 2, while not explicitly designed for co-op, is about a thousand times more fun with it. I've heard the PC version can have issues but they can help you in the SR2 Thread

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DreadCthulhu posted:

I have played the poo poo out of JA2 (and JA1 heh), great games!!

There is a Jagged Alliance 2 remake coming out soonish, incidentally.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

jfff posted:

Looking to sit down with a friend and waste a ton of time playing a game couch co-op. Are there any good recent PS3 games out that have a co-op story line mode? Google is failing me except for RE5.

It might not be recent enough, but I've been playing Army of Two: The 40th Day with my friend, and it's pretty fun for couch co-op. Also Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a decent puzzle game available on PSN. I played that some with my wife, I turned the combat onto easy, so I could kill everything by myself if I needed to. Finally, the obvious one that isn't out yet, but will be soon, is Portal 2.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Looking for a solid action game. I've been binging through a lot of God of War and I'm just finishing up Dante's Inferno for the second time.

Some games I'm thinking of looking into
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Bayonetta

I don't really know if there's any other similar titles out there, but if someone has some recommendations, that would definitely be appreciated.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Darksiders may be worth a shot, though admittedly its combat is somewhat less refined/deep than that of most of the games you've named.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bayonetta is awesome and it should be the first thing you grab. Bear in mind that it's a lot more like Devil May Cry than it is like God of War.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
My roommate has Darksiders, and I plan on playing through it sometime. Just not in the mood right now for a slower Zelda-style adventure. Kinda just wanna tear poo poo up. Sounds like Bayonetta is gonna be right up my alley.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I've been binging on Dragon Age 2 a lot recently. I know i'm "playing it wrong", but I've enjoyed having it on casual difficulty and just destroying enemies as a warrior class and enjoying the story. Is that at all possible to do with Dragon Age Origins? If not, any recs?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If you're looking to charge around whirlwinding groups of enemies into giblets Origins will not satisfy but if you're more interested in the story then Origins is much better imo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

tensai posted:

I've been binging on Dragon Age 2 a lot recently. I know i'm "playing it wrong", but I've enjoyed having it on casual difficulty and just destroying enemies as a warrior class and enjoying the story. Is that at all possible to do with Dragon Age Origins? If not, any recs?

This is basically the Dynasty/Samurai/etc. Warriors series in a nutshell. Well except for the "enjoying the story" part.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

tensai posted:

If you're not looking for an RPG specifically then the games that people reccomended for sulphix a few posts ago are all pretty good in the destroying enemies with melee weapons area. DA:O is defenatly not good for that sort of thing though.

I want to give Harvest Moon a try. Thing is, there's a loving lot of them. What's the best entry point for a newbie? I've got pretty much every console excluding the 3DS, but I'd prefer something on DS or PSP if possible.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Eggn0g posted:

I want to give Harvest Moon a try. Thing is, there's a loving lot of them. What's the best entry point for a newbie? I've got pretty much every console excluding the 3DS, but I'd prefer something on DS or PSP if possible.

If you have the means, Back to Nature for the PSX is probably the best one to start with.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

tensai posted:

If you're okay with replacing 'warrior' with 'mage', you'll enjoy DA:O this way just fine.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Makky posted:

I also play shooters with a buddy, and Resident Evil 5 sounds like it'd be right up your alley. We enjoyed it quite a bit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm looking for tycoon/simlike games where I can run my own company or at least deal with numbers and money while controlling something. Any platform is good.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
My local game store was selling fat PS2s for 20 quid so I decided to finally grab one of those. They didn't have much in the way of games though, generic punching & driving games.
I've ordered a bunch of games from Amazon, Final Fantasy, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Valkyrie Profile 2.
What are the must have PS2 titles that aren't beat 'em ups, racing sims or Shooters?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm looking for tycoon/simlike games where I can run my own company or at least deal with numbers and money while controlling something. Any platform is good.

http://www.openttd.org/en/

Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe is free! and is awesome!

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Kilometers Davis posted:

You could serve to narrow it down a bit, business sim games is a huge genre. Realistic/serious or humourous? Pure numbers game or some action on the side? Interested in logistics?

Capitalism Plus is a classic on the pure numbers side. Transport Tycoon has already been mentioned. Theme Hospital and Pizza Tycoon are classics on the more humourous/actiony side of things, but they can be difficult to acquire (legally) at the moment.

e: And of course there are games like the Patrician and Port Royale if you are looking for something more recent.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Eggn0g posted:

If you're not looking for an RPG specifically then the games that people reccomended for sulphix a few posts ago are all pretty good in the destroying enemies with melee weapons area. DA:O is defenatly not good for that sort of thing though.

Don't bother getting Back to Nature, just get the far superior PSP port called Boy & Girl. I have always been sort of opposed to the portable HM games, they just feel better somehow playing them at home on a couch or something.

The GBA game is also good if you can get it, and IMHO Harvest Moon 64 is the best in the series. Pretty much all of them are good except for Hero of Leaf Valley and Save the Homeland, DS is pretty bad too due to wonky controls.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 20, 2011

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Looking for a game where you can lead fleets of spaceships in battle, kind of like Homeworld or Sins of a Solar Empire. Any suggestions?

Baring that, some other sort of massive time sink. I've got a lot of free time on my hands. Thought about Dragon Age 2, but I'm not really a fantasy buff. Anything more modern or even sci-fi along those lines?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

TheStampede posted:

Looking for a game where you can lead fleets of spaceships in battle, kind of like Homeworld or Sins of a Solar Empire. Any suggestions?

Baring that, some other sort of massive time sink. I've got a lot of free time on my hands. Thought about Dragon Age 2, but I'm not really a fantasy buff. Anything more modern or even sci-fi along those lines?

Masters of Orion and Masters of Orion 2. If you haven't played them you are in for a treat. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_orion_1_2

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

TheStampede posted:

Galactic Civilizations 2 seems like the obvious suggestion.

quote:

Mass Effect 1 and 2 sounds about right.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Unfortunately, I've played all of those. Though I was thinking of grabbing MoO:II again. How is playing it after all the years and subsequent new 4X games?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

TheStampede posted:

Unfortunately, I've played all of those. Though I was thinking of grabbing MoO:II again. How is playing it after all the years and subsequent new 4X games?

Better than all of them by a long shot?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

TheStampede posted:

Looking for a game with WW2 components, Nazi stuff is my favorite, but it should have some sort of fantasy edge to it, not a huge fan of hyper-realism
I think this is right up your alley: http://store.steampowered.com/app/17780/

9x19
Mar 16, 2011

I'm looking for a good adventure game for PC or PS3. I want something that's not in a usual fantasy setting, something similar in style to the old Banjo-Kazooie for N64 would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Something called to mind my enjoyment of the old Close Combat games, specifically Close Combat II: A Bridge Too Far, and I wondered about the current state of the franchise. I noticed there were a few sequels since then. Are any worth playing?