Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Waited by the mailbox for Mr. Postman to bring my registration sticker...no dice. Took the top and doors off the Jeep instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Rode it to work, I don’t know how cold it was this morning but the thick fog kept me more focused on not crashing into a hill side than how comfortable I was.

Yesterday I changed the oil and took it over to one my dad's goldwing buddies to get some new rubber put on and bleed the brakes. The right front brake was dragging a little and when we cracked the bleeder nothing came out, hooked the vacuum bleeder and nothing came out.... Finally a cranked down on the brake handle with the bleeder open and what can best be described as tooth paste started to ooze out. Removed the bleed valve and gave it another crack on the brake handle, a DOT3 turd worked its way out about a half inch then exploded like a zit.

Mother of god.

Picked up a new spring for my accelerator pump, hope this fixes the hesitation issue.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Been a busy boy the last two weekends;

Flushed the brakes with new fluid and bled them, wow what a difference 2 years makes.

Replaced the chain, original one was starting to stretch at an exponential rate. Bought myself a chain remover/riveter only used it for the riveting in the end though. Mr. Angle Grinder made much shorter work of the chain than the breaker could.

Pulled off the rear wheel while I did the chain and cleaned/re-greased the bearings and seals.

Noticed the rear pads were down to a sliver, replaced the pads, lost the safety clip, cursed for a while.

Odometer turned over to 10,000mi on the ride back from my workshop.

Headlight bulb blew shortly after that, replaced with a better one from Osram.

Next up is an oil change and then I need to solder something together to sort out my O2 sensor's shitness.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That reads a lot like my to-do list for mine. Though my chain seems to be fine for the time being.

I have this crazy dream where I buy a black (or maybe white) chain and an orange chain and splice them together to make a bi-color chain to replace the stock one with...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Changed the oil, replaced the battery and rode it for the first time this year!!!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

I have this crazy dream where I buy a black (or maybe white) chain and an orange chain and splice them together to make a bi-color chain to replace the stock one with...

Angry I didn't think of this now...

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I flushed my brakes too, since I had a big can of DOT 4 from when I did the ninja. Then booking it around a turn (ridin' dongy) a car was stopped in the middle of the road, and I'm glad I did. Either way, that Husky brakes like poo poo.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I finally got a new seat to replace the stolen one. It was about 60 degrees and sunny today, so for some reason it took me three hours to ride to the hardware store half a mile away, but I got some bolts to put on the sissy bar I've had sitting around for a while, and a chain and padlock to hopefully prevent another theft.

They could of course still easily take the seat by cutting the strap, but I'm hoping that would defeat the purpose since they'd end up with a hosed up seat.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Changed the oil + filter on my Ninja 250R. It was my first time doing so and it really was easy. Inflated tires and washed the bike (drat pollen!) while it was draining and took it for a ride on this beautiful day.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Drastically altered the float height. The bike was running lean, but it was getting way too much gas to the carbs

That was a bitch to figure out :argh:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

:woop:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I pulled the R6 out of the back of the garage and I got it out on the road for a bit. I thought about putting the red windscreen/cobra sticker on it but I had my three year old with me. That kid will put stuff in my exhaust pipe if I'm not paying 100% attention to him.

"So all I need to do is put the last bolt on and... Uh where is the last bolt... JUNIOR!!!!!!"

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Oil change on the ST1300 today. With all the things Honda got right on my bike, I will never understand why changing the oil filter has to make such a damned mess.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Pulled the Power Commander off my bike today. Loaded a custom tune from someone who has the same bike and had it dynotuned. Haven't run it yet though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Washed the bike, got my 84 year old dad on the back and went for a nice long ride with my brother-in-law. Gorgeous day and the local bike gathering spot wasn't too crowded so we got a good BBQ sandwich and an RC cola before heading off in a random direction. God, sometimes I love the south so loving much.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Doctor Zero posted:

Washed the bike, got my 84 year old dad on the back and went for a nice long ride with my brother-in-law. Gorgeous day and the local bike gathering spot wasn't too crowded so we got a good BBQ sandwich and an RC cola before heading off in a random direction. God, sometimes I love the south so loving much.

If you don't eat yer Moon Pie, you can't have any RC. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY RC IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MOONPIE???? YOU! Yes you, behind the bike sheds....

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

SlightlyMadman posted:

I finally got a new seat to replace the stolen one. It was about 60 degrees and sunny today, so for some reason it took me three hours to ride to the hardware store half a mile away, but I got some bolts to put on the sissy bar I've had sitting around for a while, and a chain and padlock to hopefully prevent another theft.

They could of course still easily take the seat by cutting the strap, but I'm hoping that would defeat the purpose since they'd end up with a hosed up seat.

Wahey, it's my Droid wallpaper bike.

Sadly, you're dealing with an element of society that will slice a $500 purse strap to get to a $20 bill. Logic doesn't enter into it. Or mathematics.

Anyone caught defacing a Bonneville should be hanged.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Well the helmet lock on my bike works in such a way that someone could cut the chin strap and make off with the helmet and it hasn't happened yet. I'm always worrying about it, though.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Wahey, it's my Droid wallpaper bike.

Sadly, you're dealing with an element of society that will slice a $500 purse strap to get to a $20 bill. Logic doesn't enter into it. Or mathematics.

Anyone caught defacing a Bonneville should be hanged.

Yeah, I gave it some more thought and I think I'm going to get a longer chain and run it across the top of the seat. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to remove the seat without lifting it, because of the grab rail, and the grab rail can't be removed without taking off the seat.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I gave it some more thought and I think I'm going to get a longer chain and run it across the top of the seat. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to remove the seat without lifting it, because of the grab rail, and the grab rail can't be removed without taking off the seat.

You realize that the odds of getting your seat stolen are slim as hell. Your odds of getting it stolen twice are probably near zero. Stop trying to chain your seat to your bike.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

n8r posted:

You realize that the odds of getting your seat stolen are slim as hell. Your odds of getting it stolen twice are probably near zero. Stop trying to chain your seat to your bike.

I live in Baltimore. I'm only going through this because my last seat did get stolen. You think whatever crackhead took it is going to be a nice guy and not do it again because he feels bad for me?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SlightlyMadman posted:

I live in Baltimore.

Shiiiiiiiiiiii....

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

I live in Baltimore. I'm only going through this because my last seat did get stolen. You think whatever crackhead took it is going to be a nice guy and not do it again because he feels bad for me?

I think the chances of it happening again are slim to none.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

n8r posted:

You must not have heard, we're talking about Baltimore here.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

n8r posted:

This isn't a lightning strike we're talking about here, it's premeditated crime. There are guys that wander around my neighborhood looking for anything they can steal, so they can sell it for drugs. He knows he can steal my seat, and I'm sure will happily do it again if I don't secure it properly. Why would he just pass by free money?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

This isn't a lightning strike we're talking about here, it's premeditated crime. There are guys that wander around my neighborhood looking for anything they can steal, so they can sell it for drugs. He knows he can steal my seat, and I'm sure will happily do it again if I don't secure it properly. Why would he just pass by free money?

Its Baltimore, buy a gun.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

schreibs posted:

Its Baltimore, buy a gun.

Well, I do have a powder actuated nailer ...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

Every motorcycle on the road has no seat? What about mirrors?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

n8r posted:

Every motorcycle on the road has no seat? What about mirrors?

Well every motorcycle on my road had its seat stolen, but mine's the only one so that's not a very good example. Pretty much every other motorcycle in the world has a lockable seat though. Do you think the manufacturers just make those because they're paranoid from staying up all night smoking meth?

I don't understand what you're trying to say though. Do you think I'm lying about having my seat stolen?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

SlightlyMadman posted:

Well every motorcycle on my road had its seat stolen, but mine's the only one so that's not a very good example. Pretty much every other motorcycle in the world has a lockable seat though. Do you think the manufacturers just make those because they're paranoid from staying up all night smoking meth?

I don't understand what you're trying to say though. Do you think I'm lying about having my seat stolen?

I have one of the few 83 Nighthawk 750s left with both side covers intact. There are no repros and likely never will be, hence they are gold. If the crackheads ever qualify for a data plan, I'm screwed.

Is it possible to rig a few strategically placed tie wraps into the equation and out of plain view? Wouldn't stop a determined thief with lots of time and tools, but it might be enough of a hassle to make them move along. No anti-theft on the Bonnie? I know on my Sportster any disturbance of this kind would make it blink the lights several times in a violent and threatening mannner.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Well my thief was determined enough to bring his own allen wrench last time, so I need something that can't at least be easily dismantled. I figure the benefit of the chain is that it's at least plainly visible as a deterrent, and it's very easy for me to unlock when I need to take the seat off myself. I considered an alarm as well, but they're fairly expensive. No point in doing all that when I can take care of it with $10 at the local hardware store.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Bought a dremel yesterday so I could saw off a bolt with a stripped threading that was preventing me from taking the seat off a 2005 Yamaha Virago. Now I can finally get the battery charged back up. Now to hit up the hardware store for a couple of replacement bolts.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm saying that the odds that someone will steal your seat again are very slim. Pretty sure crackheads don't keep track of what motorcycle seats are easy to steal. Is that really a difficult concept?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SlightlyMadman posted:

Well my thief was determined enough to bring his own allen wrench last time, so I need something that can't at least be easily dismantled. I figure the benefit of the chain is that it's at least plainly visible as a deterrent, and it's very easy for me to unlock when I need to take the seat off myself. I considered an alarm as well, but they're fairly expensive. No point in doing all that when I can take care of it with $10 at the local hardware store.

Get some Torx bolts.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

n8r posted:

I'm saying that the odds that someone will steal your seat again are very slim. Pretty sure crackheads don't keep track of what motorcycle seats are easy to steal. Is that really a difficult concept?

Yeah, it's an extremely difficult concept, because the exact opposite is my experience. Anyways, if you're really that upset by the thought of me putting a lock on my seat then I'm not sure what to tell you, because it's already done and I'm happy with it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
In the last two weekends i have fitted acewell clocks and an rf900 rear shock (which was previously re-sprung and revalved for a gsxr400 racebike) to my SV, had to make up new dogbones to get the ride height back to stock as the rf shock is a bit shorter than original.
Both are big improvements, the original shock had 50,000 miles on it and having a working speedo again is a real novelty.

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007
I drilled a bunch of holes in the plastic heat shield on the muffler on my Ruckus

...kinda has that WWII machine gun vibe :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Spent an hour or so brushing/cleaning my chain. It had a little surface rust left from when I bought it, so i brushed it a little to clean that off... now if I could only find my can of chain lube. :(

I really need to do the same to my KLR, but... :effort:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, it's an extremely difficult concept, because the exact opposite is my experience. Anyways, if you're really that upset by the thought of me putting a lock on my seat then I'm not sure what to tell you, because it's already done and I'm happy with it.

I can see where he's coming from. Some fucker broke into my car a year ago, and stole the ashtray because it was full of pennies. If they can do it again, they will. I'd personally go for something that was a little less of an eyesore, though, like torx bolts or some other hidden locking mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'll look into the torx bolts for sure, since that's probably even more secure than a chain & padlock, as a junkie is much more likely to have bolt cutters than a torx set.