Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

How about I walk to the infantry, shoot the gently caress outta the blackjack, then justice foot the infantry.

Don't. Walking up to the infantry would put you too close to the building and out of LOS of the Blackjack. My suggestion: Walk to 1104. That puts you range 3 from the Blackjack and in the open. BTH should be 7 on all guns. Hit his rear end with everything you've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow, I would never have expected that. You write way too well to be pushing shopping carts for a living. Please tell me you are still in school?

I'm afraid not. It was a layoff thing, and the first job I could jump on (in an area where jobs are pretty limited). I've never been really good at selling myself, and wouldn't be sure where to even start to get into the gaming industry.

I am writing a novel, though (I've always wanted to be a published author), so I'm not kicking myself for wasting my talents. Yet.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tempest_56 posted:

Don't. Walking up to the infantry would put you too close to the building and out of LOS of the Blackjack. My suggestion: Walk to 1104. That puts you range 3 from the Blackjack and in the open. BTH should be 7 on all guns. Hit his rear end with everything you've got.

But, who will kill the infantry, and how will the justice foot get another kill?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

But, who will kill the infantry, and how will the justice foot get another kill?

On one hand, if the Blackjack dies we don't need to kill the infantry. On the other, I'm following PTN's advice and stepping on them already since I've got like 11s to hit with the guns.

And the Justice Foot will be allowed to field execute the captured Cappie infantry and ejected pilots via stomping.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm afraid not. It was a layoff thing, and the first job I could jump on (in an area where jobs are pretty limited). I've never been really good at selling myself, and wouldn't be sure where to even start to get into the gaming industry.

I am writing a novel, though (I've always wanted to be a published author), so I'm not kicking myself for wasting my talents. Yet.

Good. I'm most of the way through the STO thread, and you've definitely got more chops than many popular fiction authors. Even some really well-selling ones, not to mention any names Hamilton. Oops.

Enjoying the narrative in this thread as well. How long do you plan for this to go, tentatively?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tempest_56 posted:

On one hand, if the Blackjack dies we don't need to kill the infantry. On the other, I'm following PTN's advice and stepping on them already since I've got like 11s to hit with the guns.

And the Justice Foot will be allowed to field execute the captured Cappie infantry and ejected pilots via stomping.

Then it will no longer be the justice foot.

IT WILL BE THE FOOT OF VENGANCE!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Brandy Collins posted:

Enjoying the narrative in this thread as well. How long do you plan for this to go, tentatively?

Indefinitely? Until people get bored of it? Until I put it on hiatus to do a Dragon Age II LP and then forget about it? Until Hollywood picks up my book to be the next Popular Idea Garbage Dump Movie (tm) and gives me a million dollars for the right to let M. Night Shamwow make it really boring?

For now, I'm going to stick with 'indefinitely'. I like giving the fictional universe that made me realize I really wanted to write some good press.

Tempest_56 posted:

You know what would work even better than stepping on them? Intentional "unintentional" fall. Body slam the bastards with a Rifleman. You can miss a kick. You can't miss a fall (unless you're Arthur Dent).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 21, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

You know what would work even better than stepping on them? Intentional "unintentional" fall. Body slam the bastards with a Rifleman. You can miss a kick. You can't miss a fall (unless you're Arthur Dent).

:black101:: DEATH FROM ABOVE!

:science:: Riflemen don't have jump jets

:black101:: FLAIL WILDLY INTO THE BUILDING!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

If I had enough MP to make it into that hex, I totally would.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The busiest Wal*Mart in the country. I push carts. :downs:

They're on Somerset, since Duke Aldo is irritated by Caeser's antics. :ssh:

Doesn't matter who; in the end, they all go down to the best drat unit in the history of teams. Plus the Furillo Steiners have THOMAS HOGARTH!!!'s loyalty. Can't beat that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The busiest Wal*Mart in the country. I push carts. :downs:

The one on Lacrosse Street? (I dunno if that's still the busiest one, but if so... dang.)

Either way go Death Commandos :toot:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mr. Despair posted:

The one on Lacrosse Street? (I dunno if that's still the busiest one, but if so... dang.)

That's the one. Our slow days are like a normal store's average ones. Our average days are like a normal store's EBT days. Our EBT days are like Christmas Eve, and on Christmas Eve we run out of carts by 10:00 AM and won't get any of them back until the 27th.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ahh yes I have some family who works there, so all I hear all sorts of horror stories. :smithicide: Better than nothing, but hopefully your novel gets you somewhere better especially before the rally .

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm seriously not kidding. I knew a girl with an English Lit. degree who sent a list of all the computer games she had ever played along with a cover letter and writing sample to Microsoft, and they hired her for 70K a year. Last I heard she was doing script editing for the Mass Effect series.
This really sounds incredible. I don't doubt it, but I'm really wondering why someone would do that in the first place.
Was the thought process pretty much "I've played lots of games and hence have plenty of experience with them."?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've never been really good at selling myself, and wouldn't be sure where to even start to get into the gaming industry

It's a long shot, sure, but here's the thing: you already have a big body of work in video game writing. It's not like you would have to write some big thing (like a novel) you already have something finished. And what's the worst that could happen? They could say no.

It is, of course, up to you, and it's a long shot, but no more a long shot that becoming a successful author. All you would have to do is archive your posts from the thread in a readable HTML form, select some parts that you think are particularly good as short writing samples, and write a cover letter. You have skills Cryptic might be interested in, and you have a relevant body of work to prove it. And you're pushing shopping carts, man. What do you have to lose on this one?

Teledahn posted:

This really sounds incredible. I don't doubt it, but I'm really wondering why someone would do that in the first place.
Was the thought process pretty much "I've played lots of games and hence have plenty of experience with them."?

Yeah she had played a ton of games, from NES through PC to DS (and possibly back.) She was really surprised when they offered her the job and the salary, but hey, tech firms in California pay money. (Her friends speculated that gender bias had something to do with it but I'm trying to encourage Poptartsninja here.)

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Based on your last thread, I'd say you should try pitching a new Star Trek series. It's due, and you've already got more fans than all of Enterprise...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a long shot, sure, but here's the thing: you already have a big body of work in video game writing. It's not like you would have to write some big thing (like a novel) you already have something finished. And what's the worst that could happen? They could say no.

It is, of course, up to you, and it's a long shot, but no more a long shot that becoming a successful author. All you would have to do is archive your posts from the thread in a readable HTML form, select some parts that you think are particularly good as short writing samples, and write a cover letter. You have skills Cryptic might be interested in, and you have a relevant body of work to prove it. And you're pushing shopping carts, man. What do you have to lose on this one?
He's got a point man. Take this show on the road.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Is the enterprise Lp that good? is it a "you had to be there from the start" kind of good where you have to read every post in the thread ever to really appreciate it? Or could I just stick to PTN's posts and enjoy it?

I think I watched four or five, maybe six updates and it really didn't grab onto me. Should I try again?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Affi posted:

Is the enterprise Lp that good? is it a "you had to be there from the start" kind of good where you have to read every post in the thread ever to really appreciate it? Or could I just stick to PTN's posts and enjoy it?

I think I watched four or five, maybe six updates and it really didn't grab onto me. Should I try again?

Frankly, the videos are secondary. I mean, yeah, they're interesting, but they get really samey, fast, mostly because... the game is really samey, really fast. The text PTN wrote is the star.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mukaikubo posted:

Frankly, the videos are secondary. I mean, yeah, they're interesting, but they get really samey, fast, mostly because... the game is really samey, really fast. The text PTN wrote is the star.

Can someone please post a link?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, I felt that way about the videos actually, but I also didn't pay very much attention to the text-updates. I'll give it another go based on this LP being p. awesome.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Can someone please post a link?

Here ya go: http://lparchive.org/Star-Trek-Online/
Also the original thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358704&pagenumber=1

Hey, PTN, any chance that one day you might eventually show off the new Romulan episodes? They are quite enjoyable and I would love to see the Brutus' crew take on them. :3:

Edit: also Cryptic is redesigning some of the older episodes: the Azura rescue was tweaked, for example.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 21, 2011

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

radintorov posted:

Here ya go: http://lparchive.org/Star-Trek-Online/
Also the original thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358704&pagenumber=1

Hey, PTN, any chance that one day you might eventually show off the new Romulan episodes? They are quite enjoyable and I would love to see the Brutus' crew take on them. :3:

Edit: also Cryptic is redesigning some of the older episodes: the Azura rescue was tweaked, for example.

Thanks. Man, the LP Archive looks nice now!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mukaikubo posted:

Tribble collective. It can't be stressed enough.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BattleMechs are Awesome
Today's Episode: ENF-4R Enforcer
A rejected draft of an Archernar BattleMechs advertisement.

Not having reached the prototype phase as the Star League collapsed, the Enforcer was saved from being lost to history by Davion MechWarriors ransacking Star League bases in the Terran Hegemony securing liberty for the people of the Hegemony in the wake of Kerensky's exodus. Rushed in to production to hold back the galactic-scale rear end-kicking Kurita was piling on them build troops up in the early First Succession War, the Enforcer has been the standard workhorse mech of the AFFS since 2777.

Despite weighing in at 50 tons, the Enforcer's 64.8 kp/h top speed is more in keeping with heavier mechs like the Marauder, Crusader and Orion. Instead, its mobility is focused in its 120 meter jump radius. When combined with its primary armament of a Federated Arms AC/10 and ChisComp 43 Large Laser, even an inbred Outback dirt farmer anyone can see its use in brutal street-to-street urban warfare a canyon fight, because the AFFS would never fight in a city. A ChisComp 32 Small Laser rounds out the equipment compliment, because when you have a remaining half-ton, why not add a small laser?

With its nine tons of Starshield armor coverage angled forward, the Enforcer is best-suited to a heroic, head-first charge against Kurita and Liao forces the wicked supporters of tyrannical regimes everywhere. In constant demand due to its reliable construction and excellent all-around battlefield performance, the Enforcer is a mech that any Davion MechWarrior can count on!

(Scribbled at the bottom: What is this garbage? The words you're using are way too big for our target audience.)

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 25, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'LL TAKE TWELVE!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

quote:

because when you have a remaining half-ton, why not add a small laser?

I need that extra half-ton for the ice-cream machine.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

radintorov posted:

It's on my list of 'things to do once Cryptic adds a leeeeetle more to the game'. The Romulan episodes are really neat, but I'd need more than five updates so I've been waiting until they finish some of what they've been revamping.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

I need that extra half-ton for the ice-cream machine.

Huh, I figured you for a soda-machine sort of guy.

Can anyone tell me at what weight mechs go from being heavies to being assaults?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
20-35 ton 'Mechs are light
40-55 ton 'Mechs are medium
60-75 ton 'Mechs are heavy
80-100 ton 'Mechs are assault

VVV They do indeed. It's been a long day, also, I'm working on an update. As well as something special.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 22, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

PoptartsNinja posted:

25-35 ton 'Mechs are light
40-55 ton 'Mechs are medium
60-75 ton 'Mechs are heavy
80-100 ton 'Mechs are assault

Light mechs start at 20 tons.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

paragon1 posted:

:pseudo: My soda supply is taken care of via a sophisticated custom nuerohelmet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVV They do indeed. It's been a long day,
:smith:

PoptartsNinja posted:

also, I'm working on an update.
:allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

As well as something special.
:siren::f5h::ohdear::siren:

Yup. AJ_Impy was right about this, we *can* communicate solely through the miracle of smileys.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm working on an update. As well as something special.

With all the STO LP talk recently it would be pretty hilarious if the Brutus hit a wormhole and did a little flyby.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

paragon1 posted:

Can anyone tell me at what weight mechs go from being heavies to being assaults?

It's a reference to the fact that while their torpedoes were as explosive as bricks, American subs in WWII came fully equipped with their very own ice cream machines - because who needs working weapons when you've got hot fudge sundaes?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

With all the STO LP talk recently it would be pretty hilarious if the Brutus hit a wormhole and did a little flyby.

Genesis is more than just a torpedo. Also, need a quick clarification from Bunny of Doom since he and the Rifleman are trying to occupy the same hex.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
That seems to happen a lot, maybe have each player send you a backup move order and give larger mechs the right-of-way?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WraithMind posted:

That seems to happen a lot, maybe have each player send you a backup move order and give larger mechs the right-of-way?

I go first-come, first serve, so if you really want a hex send your orders ASAP.

Also, it may be all over.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hm. What are the odds of all three of us being taken out in the same turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I go first-come, first serve, so if you really want a hex send your orders ASAP.

:ohdear:

Okay, now I'm actually on the edge of my seat here. Are the space Mexicans doomed?

• Locked thread