Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

TheStampede posted:

Unfortunately, I've played all of those. Though I was thinking of grabbing MoO:II again. How is playing it after all the years and subsequent new 4X games?

Sword of the Stars might be what you after, if you just want massive fleets fighting though have a look at Gratuitous Space Battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TheStampede posted:

Looking for a game where you can lead fleets of spaceships in battle, kind of like Homeworld or Sins of a Solar Empire. Any suggestions?

Might want to take a look at AI War. For me, it's taken both a learning curve and an enjoyment curve, but it's pretty good, and still in very active development. If it appeals, units commanded rise into the thousands, and still there's not much micromanagement to worry about.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 21, 2011

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

TheStampede posted:

Unfortunately, I've played all of those. Though I was thinking of grabbing MoO:II again. How is playing it after all the years and subsequent new 4X games?

It's still excellent, although the micromanagement gets horrible around the midgame (like every 4X game from that time.)

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have to check out AI Wars and Gratuitous Space Battles. I thought I heard there were a lot of shortcomings with Sword of the Stars, but it was a long time ago I payed any attention to it. In the mean time though I reloaded Mass Effect 2 and splurged for all the DLC. Really digging the extra content, and would suggest it to anyone who hasn't tried the new stuff out yet.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Better than all of them by a long shot?

That what I was going to say.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I'm feeling the urge to play one of those fix n race car games. Something like street legal racing. I tried SL2 redline, but even with the patchs it's a buggy pile of bugs. Anyone know if theres any other good games that require you to fix up your car and race it for the cash to fix/upgrade your car?

I remember playing Gearhead Garage for hours on end, though that game had no actual driving of the cars. I'd love to find more games like that. :)

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

modig posted:

Masters of Orion and Masters of Orion 2. If you haven't played them you are in for a treat. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_orion_1_2

gently caress, that's a steal.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

TheStampede posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have to check out AI Wars and Gratuitous Space Battles. I thought I heard there were a lot of shortcomings with Sword of the Stars, but it was a long time ago I payed any attention to it. In the mean time though I reloaded Mass Effect 2 and splurged for all the DLC. Really digging the extra content, and would suggest it to anyone who hasn't tried the new stuff out yet.

All the real bullshit in SOTS got patched out; it's a decent game now

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Here's the kind of game I'd love to play.

-Something like a 4x game where you constantly expand your empire.
-Once you've taken over a given area, you can pretty easily set it up to be autonomous so that you can forget about it and don't have to mess with it anymore, allowing you to just concentrate on the new front lines, wherever they may be
-As your kingdom/empire/home territory expands, gameplay wise that mostly just translates to "you have more resources to use as you push your territory forward"

That's pretty much it. Basically, a game where you continually fight and gain more and more territory like a 4x, except without the continual economic or even currently-existing territory management/upkeep part, and that has entertaining combat mechanics. Any setting is fine, really.

eddit: Are Total War games good for this? Do you have to continually micromanage your existing territories in that game, or can you sit back and tell them to just produce more units for you as you play?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 21, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Sword of the Stars is sorta like that; beyond the very early colonization phase and maybe spending a turn setting up a line of basic defenses against random disaster planets are pretty much a hunk of income with a variable production rate. There's a few mid-lategame enhancements (like very, very simplified trade networks - pretty much just more ships you build and forget about) for established worlds if you want to gently caress around with them, but they're pretty quick and simple where they're not just totally optional. You've still got to individually order planets to build ships if you want ships but I don't know of any games that've abstracted that kind of thing away.

Star Ruler similarly is pretty much colonize-and-forget for all but frontline worlds, though it still seems sorta half finished so if you want a complete fully-formed game package idk

Personally I like 4Xes where areas have more unique character and there's a lot of micro detail which is actually a lot harder to find these days; you sorta got your pick.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 21, 2011

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Coffeebean posted:

I'm looking for a good adventure game for PC or PS3. I want something that's not in a usual fantasy setting, something similar in style to the old Banjo-Kazooie for N64 would be great.

Beyond Good and Evil if you haven't already played it. And you've played the original Jak and Daxter, right? Because that game is the absolute best game in the "bright colored jumpy collection action/platformer" genre.

Also, can someone recommend me a game that's set in Asia but isn't the usual SUPER ANIME or CHINA IS HERE JACK BURTON style of story. It just seems that every game set in Asia or in Asian history has to be all crazy and Dynasty Warriors or super Kung-Fu'd out like Jade Empire.

Hardmode: I've already played all the Yakuza, Bushido Blade and Way of the Samurai games.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also, can someone recommend me a game that's set in Asia but isn't the usual SUPER ANIME or CHINA IS HERE JACK BURTON style of story. It just seems that every game set in Asia or in Asian history has to be all crazy and Dynasty Warriors or super Kung-Fu'd out like Jade Empire.

Hardmode: I've already played all the Yakuza, Bushido Blade and Way of the Samurai games.

The Shenmue games, maybe? I mean, there's martial arts, but it's not Jade Empire-style "chi blasts flying out of everyone's asses 24/7" martial arts.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

GreatGreen posted:

eddit: Are Total War games good for this? Do you have to continually micromanage your existing territories in that game, or can you sit back and tell them to just produce more units for you as you play?

YES. The Total War series has a lot of problems with it (AI, mostly), but it sounds perfect for what you're talking about. You can automate the settlements you capture to any degree - taxes, construction, and/or recruitment. The auto-recruitment isn't the best, but it can competently run your settlements otherwise according to the automated policy you set it to.

Manual recruitment doesn't take much effort anyway, and you can queue it up over several turns.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GreatGreen posted:

4x stuff

AI War is kind of like this, you conquer a planet, set up your defenses, mass produce a bigger fleet, and move on to the next planet. However, you will have to shuffle around your fleet to defend your previous planets at times, and re-shuffle your defensive turrets according to escalating threats. There is less micro than it sounds like, (for example, you can set up your fleet and turret defenses to automatically rebuild, and your ships are smart enough to fight for themselves in battles) but there definitely is some management needed other than just dragging your fleet around and scorching the earth.

YellowJello
Dec 9, 2008

I've been looking for an action/adventure game in the vain of Beyond Good & Evil or Shenmue (I know they're vastly different, I'm not comparing them). I have access to a four year old laptop, a PS3, a PS2, a Dreamcast, and a Nintendo 64. Any suggestions?

Ashenai posted:

The Shenmue games, maybe? I mean, there's martial arts, but it's not Jade Empire-style "chi blasts flying out of everyone's asses 24/7" martial arts.

I agree with this suggestion. I'm a huge fan of the series despite the awful voice acting. Even better yet, Shenmue III keeps getting more and more of a force behind it, chances are production will begin sometime within the next year.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

doctor iono posted:

YES. The Total War series has a lot of problems with it (AI, mostly), but it sounds perfect for what you're talking about. You can automate the settlements you capture to any degree - taxes, construction, and/or recruitment. The auto-recruitment isn't the best, but it can competently run your settlements otherwise according to the automated policy you set it to.

Manual recruitment doesn't take much effort anyway, and you can queue it up over several turns.

Ok, I'll give Total War a shot. I don't know enough to know if this question is enough to ask, but which one is the best? Wikipedia tells me there are like 8 of them and I honestly have no idea where to start.

doctorfrog posted:

AI War

I'll give this a shot too. There's something I can't tell from the videos about it though. Is this more of a casual game, or is it just as hardcore as anything else, but with simpler graphics?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

YellowJello posted:

I've been looking for an action/adventure game in the vain of Beyond Good & Evil or Shenmue (I know they're vastly different, I'm not comparing them). I have access to a four year old laptop, a PS3, a PS2, a Dreamcast, and a Nintendo 64. Any suggestions?

I agree with this suggestion. I'm a huge fan of the series despite the awful voice acting. Even better yet, Shenmue III keeps getting more and more of a force behind it, chances are production will begin sometime within the next year.

You should try Another World and Flashback, which I feel share a sort of genetic link with Beyond Good & Evil.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, I'll give Total War a shot. I don't know enough to know if this question is enough to ask, but which one is the best? Wikipedia tells me there are like 8 of them and I honestly have no idea where to start.

From what I've heard, Shogun 2 is pretty great, though I haven't played it yet. Hit up the thread. Rome and Medieval 2 are classics, too.

It mostly just depends on your preference for the setting, though. However, I wouldn't pick Empire or Napoleon first unless you really like their respective settings.

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 21, 2011

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

YellowJello posted:

Shadow of Destiny/Memories has been compared to Shenmue a lot. I never played it myself, so I can't say how similar they really are.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Myron posted:

Shadow of Destiny/Memories has been compared to Shenmue a lot. I never played it myself, so I can't say how similar they really are.

I thought Shadow of Destiny was a great concept, but the game itself is terrible, boring bullshit in a dead world.

WELCOME TO THE BIG CITY! THERE ARE 6 NPCS IN THE ENTIRE GAME

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ashenai posted:

I thought Shadow of Destiny was a great concept, but the game itself is terrible, boring bullshit in a dead world.

WELCOME TO THE BIG CITY! THERE ARE 6 NPCS IN THE ENTIRE GAME

Shadow of Destiny is more of a digital novel-type adventure game with an interface resembling Shenmue's. I personally really like it—it's short, tells an interesting story, and handles multiple endings better than most games—but any comparisons to Shenmue are superficial.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GreatGreen posted:

I'll give this a shot too. There's something I can't tell from the videos about it though. Is this more of a casual game, or is it just as hardcore as anything else, but with simpler graphics?

I'd say it's midcore, and definitely not casual. I'm not much of an RTS player (I couldn't get into Starcraft at all), but the pacing works for me (and actually the pacing is adjustable). It's also definitely complex, or at least seems so, because it tries to merge RTS, 4X, and some tower defense elements into a single game, so it melds several game concepts into something that's not immediately familiar. It also removes a lot of the micromanagement associated with classic RTS games, so being blindingly fast at issuing orders isn't really necessary, you can take your time and think things out, and can even set things up so that you have an unlimited time to do so... or jack up the threat level so you're more motivated.

The graphics are what they are because sprites are CPU cheap and there can be thousands of ships going at it at once. I've gotten used to the graphics, but they're probably my least favorite thing about the game, because a good sprite artist could have given AI War much more appeal, even personality, which the game lacks.

Since the developer practically butters his toast with this game, it's also being continually developed and patched. I've even had a few of my ideas used in the game (very minor ones), so take my words with a grain of salt, as I probably feel a bit more invested in it than your average player.

YellowJello
Dec 9, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You should try Another World and Flashback, which I feel share a sort of genetic link with Beyond Good & Evil.
Just to clarify, Another World was on the Atari and Flashback was on the Sega Genesis, correct?

Myron posted:

I'll definitely look into it, thanks a lot.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

YellowJello posted:

Just to clarify, Another World was on the Atari and Flashback was on the Sega Genesis, correct?

I'll definitely look into it, thanks a lot.

They were ported to pretty much every platform known to man, I know GoG has the PC version for sale that's updated to run in high resolution. I played Flashback on the SNES, but it was also released on Genesis/DOS/Amiga/etc. Supposedly the PC version is the best one and the SNES is the worst one (due to early 90's typical Nintendo censoring).

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I've been binging on mindless action games and I would like to try something with character interaction, wherein you can talk to your bros or brosettes. Games like Fire Emblem, Persona 3, Harvest Moon, Mass Effect, and Alpha Protocol are examples of what I'm talking about.

I have:
A PC
PSP
Every Nintendo platform

I prefer games for PC and handhelds but, I'm open to consoles.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

RickDaedalus posted:

I've been binging on mindless action games and I would like to try something with character interaction, wherein you can talk to your bros or brosettes. Games like Fire Emblem, Persona 3, Harvest Moon, Mass Effect, and Alpha Protocol are examples of what I'm talking about.

I have:
A PC
PSP
Every Nintendo platform

PC

Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age Origins, Psychonauts, Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 and Bully

Nintendo

Animal Crossing

RPGs are pretty much the best for it. No idea about the PSP since I don't have one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RickDaedalus posted:

I have:
A PC
PSP
Every Nintendo platform

You should get Radiant Historia for the DS, it's a really good JRPG that came out this month. It's pretty good, with actual interesting characters, including a main character that's a motherfucking grown adult for a change, with realistic character interactions for a JRPG. You start off as a spy for your nation's army and end up traveling back and forth through time to progress through the story. I guess the character interaction isn't as deep as Alpha Protocol, but if you labeled Fire Emblem in there then this is better than that. It's a very refreshing game for the genre.

A recent PSP game with a great plot and well designed characters with complex motives is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, a remake of the snes/ps1 game. It's a strategy RPG more in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics than Fire Emblem, made by the same designers of FFT. It has a very politically focused plot that's roughly analogous to the early '90s Yugoslav Wars, and it doesn't break apart in the end like FFT's did. The writing is fantastic for an RPG from Japan and the characters are particularly well done.

edit: And I'll second the Fallout New Vegas recommendation above. Obsidian has been showcasing some strong character interactions lately and New Vegas is much better at it than Fallout 3 was.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 26, 2011

Implosion Factory
Dec 13, 2006

Dude, high five!
My bestfriend and I are living a distance away from each other and we thought one fun thing we could do together is play a fun co-op game on Steam.

There are plenty of games we play against each other but we're havin a hard time finding something to play co-op. Something in the FPSRPG category would be perfect, along the lines of System Shock 2 played co-op, but any other genres could work. And we're both kinda RPG nerds, so the more well written the plot, the higher it goes on our list, whether it be a FPS, RPG or RTS, etc.

So consider my request to be "what would you recommend as an exemplary example of co-op game with a cool plot/world to explore?"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Implosion Factory posted:

So consider my request to be "what would you recommend as an exemplary example of co-op game with a cool plot/world to explore?"

I was recently reintroduced to Hardwar thanks to another thread. It's an open world game, with a plot that's advancable by the host, at his own pace. From what I can tell, it would be pretty good for a few like-minded friends to play. A downside: the lag ain't great.

e: thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3398621

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

My bestfriend and I are living a distance away from each other and we thought one fun thing we could do together is play a fun co-op game on Steam.

There are plenty of games we play against each other but we're havin a hard time finding something to play co-op. Something in the FPSRPG category would be perfect, along the lines of System Shock 2 played co-op, but any other genres could work. And we're both kinda RPG nerds, so the more well written the plot, the higher it goes on our list, whether it be a FPS, RPG or RTS, etc.

There's Borderlands and the Borderlands GOTY Edition which comes with all DLC and a Duke Nukem Forever First Access code. It advertised itself as an FPSRPG so it should be right up your alley. Although by "RPG," it means having RPG elements rather than a good story. The story is completely forgettable (I literally don't know anything besides having to get to the Vault which is mentioned in the beginning). However, it is a blast to co-op with and is built around playing with someone else. Warning: This is a pretty bad PC port in terms of settings. The game plays just fine but, there were many options not included in the in-game menu. The PC thread provides fixes which will smooth your experience. However, its most fatal flaw is that it uses Gamespy.

There's Titan Quest and TQ Gold (the latter of which includes the expansion Immortal Throne). I haven't had the luxury of having a person play with me but, I've heard from many people that it's a good Diablo clone. It's worth a shot if you liked Diablo.

Lastly, Magicka is hilarious fun with at least one other person. The story isn't deep because it's mostly humor. It has a magic system where you can combine elements for magic spells. There are tons of hidden secrets and many references. Friendly Fire is always on so your most used spell will be Revive. That said, FF is hilarious and is pretty much what makes the game on co-op. I really recommend it if you haven't tried it.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Is Assasin's Creed 1 worth playing, or am I better off skipping to AC2?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Eggn0g posted:

Read plot summary, skip to AC2. Best-case scenario, you'll get burnt out on Assassin's Creed and not want to play the sequel. Worst-case, you'll hate the repetitiveness and quit the series forever.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Eggn0g posted:

It's worth playing for the different enviornments and the story stuff, just don't do all of the stupid accessory missions and collection stuff and you oughta be fine. I actually liked the setting of AC1 a lot and Altair is pretty neat too.

AC2 is not THAT hugely revolutionary compared to AC1 but it does add a few more things to the formula that makes for a much more enjoyable game.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Saint's Row 2 is awesome, but I don't know how the PC port is - supposedly it was a disaster, did that ever get fixed by patches?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Blackula69 posted:

Saint's Row 2 is awesome, but I don't know how the PC port is - supposedly it was a disaster, did that ever get fixed by patches?

I played it after it was supposedly fixed by official patches, and the only way to get it running at a decent framerate was to have it looking like a Sega Dreamcast game, and it still crashed, so no. I think there are some unofficial patches that can make it playable.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

RickDaedalus posted:

I have:
A PC
PSP
Every Nintendo platform

Have you tried Persona 4? It's basically P3, but better in every way, especially with character interaction.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I played it after it was supposedly fixed by official patches, and the only way to get it running at a decent framerate was to have it looking like a Sega Dreamcast game, and it still crashed, so no. I think there are some unofficial patches that can make it playable.

The unofficial patches only help certain specific things, such as a timing error for some CPUs that make the game run too fast or too slow depending on your clock speed. That doesn't address choppy framerates, but the entire game would either slow down or speed up if your CPU was either faster or slower than some arbitrary clock rate. The Gentleman of the Row mod did some stuff like remove some clutter from the game or other objects that can remove slowdown, but I still get a really horrible framerate even with it and the aforementioned fix. I have to turn off lighting entirely or I'll randomly get 5-10FPS segments that make driving way too difficult.

edit: Basically, yeah, even with the fan patches/mods, the game is still hit-or-miss on whether or not it will actually be playable.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Blackula69 posted:

Saint's Row 2 wasn't fixed by Violation. It was delivered in a very broken state. However thanks to the amazing work of Idol Ninja (our very own) and a few other cats it's been patched up to not only work really well on the PC but adds a ton of features that are not present in the console versions, adds onscreen prompts for the 360 controller should you need them. It's actually quite good.

Aww hell I'll let the video do the talking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRX8ACb-gWg

grab it at http://www.idolninja.com

A new version is coming out soon as well with even more option including villain homies, new missions and giant characters.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Bats posted:

it's been patched up to not only work really well on the PC

This isn't true except for an incrementally larger number of computers than the, like, one hardware/software configuration it worked with originally.

For the majority of PCs it's still crashy, glitchy, laggy, and looks like poo poo, and there's not much of a way to predict what you'll draw in the poo poo Lottery, but you can technically play it and it is actually fun enough to make it worth putting up with the deep, deep flaws. Especially with Gentlemen of the Row.

It's neat but if you're one of the people who couldn't get into STALKER because of the glitches hoo boy

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
All the recent talk I've been seeing about Alpha Protocol has made me wonder if there's anything like it out there I can play. Any suggestions?

I have a PC, PS3, and the Nintendo systems.