Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Well after Belkar's most recent speech I think it's pretty much a sure thing that he dies in 5-10 strips.

With Belkar dies my interest in this webcomic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

New page:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Well after Belkar's most recent speech I think it's pretty much a sure thing that he dies in 5-10 strips.
This most recent comic only further cements that suspicion. We know Belkar's slated to die before the end of this in-comic year, and all this "you and me to the end" stuff is setting the stage for disaster. :\

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping that this whole Belkar dying thing is one of those dramatic "gently caress fate" moments where the protagonist deliberately breaks a prophesy. It makes some sense, Roy is just the sort of character to have a dramatic rebellion against fate. I don't see any reason for Roy to know the prophesy if he isn't going to buck it.

But this is wishful thinking because Belkar is the only character who I never get tired of.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It'll probably seem that way, actually. Belkar will narrowly miss death and then something dumb will happen and he'll just die without any fanfare.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
That sounds more like Homestuck, in OotS everybody gets an important dying scene.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
An Order of the Scribble member died to seal in the Snarl the first time, an Order of the Stick member has to die in battle against it too. That's Belkar.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

CapnAndy posted:

An Order of the Scribble member died to seal in the Snarl the first time, an Order of the Stick member has to die in battle against it too. That's Belkar.

I always saw Durkon as more likely for that role (leading to his posthumous homecoming). Of course, thinking that's more likely probably makes it less likely and who the hell knows. :shobon:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Belkar: more likely to accept a resurrection or more likely to gleefully jump headfirst into the Blood War?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I can see him gunning straight for the blood war.

There might still be a possibility for vampirism, looking less likely because of the public nature of arena combat.

One thing I didn't really understand about the afterlife and planeshifting and stuff is how death actually works. For instance, a group of evil adventurers bumped into Roy on the Celestial Mountain in the outer planes. Gods can come to the material plane, and demons like Sabine can travel from what I guess is Baator or the Abyss. Powerful demons can make deals with V across the planes and attach the souls of dead wizards to her to increase her power.

From what I understand, once someone dies their soul usually goes to the outer planes to one of the 12 afterlife destinations (based on their alignment) What's to stop a powerful mage from just plane shifting back to the material world if they die? Or to have a group plane shift over and pull them out of hell?

Also, one thing that was sort of unclear about planescape torment - in the endgame the Nameless One is so powerful that he's like a baby god - and then merges with his mortality which is also stupidly powerful. When you wake up on that battlefield and join the blood war you've already defeated the best the Hells have to offer - couldn't he just fight his way back to one of those portals to Sigil and be all like 'hey guys, just had to make a detour there'. I guess this does happen in Baldurs Gate with Saverok though, so maybe it's a uncommon but possible thing.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Goffer posted:

From what I understand, once someone dies their soul usually goes to the outer planes to one of the 12 afterlife destinations (based on their alignment) What's to stop a powerful mage from just plane shifting back to the material world if they die? Or to have a group plane shift over and pull them out of hell?

Also, one thing that was sort of unclear about planescape torment - in the endgame the Nameless One is so powerful that he's like a baby god - and then merges with his mortality which is also stupidly powerful. When you wake up on that battlefield and join the blood war you've already defeated the best the Hells have to offer - couldn't he just fight his way back to one of those portals to Sigil and be all like 'hey guys, just had to make a detour there'. I guess this does happen in Baldurs Gate with Saverok though, so maybe it's a uncommon but possible thing.

This isn't how OotS works from what we've seen, but in the Planescape cosmology, once you die, your soul goes to the planes without your mortal memories, it's what happens after you're done with the material world and so there's no need for them anymore. (Your memories hang around on the Astral for a while before they just fade away, that's who you speak with from things like Speak With Dead.) That includes class levels and the like. The Nameless One was a special case, assuming he even did keep his memories that one final time.

(There's also the fact that if a petitioner dies again, either they partially merge with their plane if they happen to be on it, though not as successfully as if it happened naturally, or they just cease to exist entirely if they're outside it. Because of that, most petitioners really prefer not to leave their home plane just to avoid the risk of total nonexistence.)

Beyond that, though, the reason that doesn't happen is because those people don't necessarily want to be rescued. For those that weren't tricked or manipulated into one of the Lower Planes, but rather acted in that manner out of choice, it's exactly where they want to be. All those powerful demon lords on the Abyss or princes of Baator were mortal at one point, after all, and any soul that gets to the Hells could reach that level eventually if they were good enough and lucky enough. It's not the endless torture that a lot of people imagine; it's hard, but it's not just a place where anyone that gets sent there gets burned for eternity or the like.

Idran fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 16, 2011

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Pope Guilty posted:

Belkar: more likely to accept a resurrection or more likely to gleefully jump headfirst into the Blood War?

Is there still a Blood War? I only have a tertiary knowledge of the workings of 4th Edition but didn't someone magically wave a wand and suddenly there isn't one anymore?

Because you know, don't need good ideas.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Nilbop posted:

Is there still a Blood War? I only have a tertiary knowledge of the workings of 4th Edition but didn't someone magically wave a wand and suddenly there isn't one anymore?

4e threw out a lot of baked in metaplot, and then added some new baked in metaplot. One of the pieces to go was the Blood War (although I think it is back in the Manual of the Planes). Its moot anyhow since Oots in is a homebrew 3.5/4e hybrid according to Rich. On a related note, Roy has been more like a 4e fighter from day one, so thats cool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

We know he's not getting straight-up resurrected since the prophecy was 'he will draw his last breath ever'.

I'm still banking on an undead Belkar.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 17, 2011

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

MikeJF posted:

We know he's not getting straight-up resurrected since the prophecy was 'he will draw his last breath ever'.

I'm still banking on an undead Belkar.

Maybe he just gets that Ioun Stone that keeps you from needing to breathe, gives a middle finger to prophecy, and moves on like normal.

Then, six months from now, Burlew accidentally forgets to draw the stone in for one panel in the middle of a comic and the internet freaks out trying to figure out what it all means and has Belkar somehow beaten the prophecy another way or is he undead or is he actually dead like Bruce Willis from The Sixth Sense and doesn't know it yet and will only disappear from our world when the Snarl is defeated and he realizes what's happened to him and THIS HAS TO BE WHAT HAPPENED THERE'S NO OTHER EXPLANATION FOR THE MISSING STONE! :supaburn:

By the time Burlew reposts a corrected comic, this explanation will already be canon for a portion of the OotS forums.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Nilbop posted:

Not quite, according to the Manual of the Planes. Basically, it's been raging on and off and there's currently a ceasefire for the past few centuries, with both sides preparing for the other to make a move. It doesn't say why there's currently a standoff. My personal fanon theory is something along the lines of the Nameless One ended the war himself by somehow tangling the logistics lines of the connections between Avernus and the Abyss, so neither side can move en masse without taking him down.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Maybe he just gets that Ioun Stone that keeps you from needing to breathe, gives a middle finger to prophecy, and moves on like normal.

Actually, I kind of like what Toussaint Louverture posted, about Belkar going "gently caress prophecy, I'm going to live". For some reason I'm getting this "would make a neat plot twist for a campaign" idea that the ability to defy the will of the gods is what makes it possible to stop the Snarl.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Technogeek posted:

Actually, I kind of like what Toussaint Louverture posted, about Belkar going "gently caress prophecy, I'm going to live". For some reason I'm getting this "would make a neat plot twist for a campaign" idea that the ability to defy the will of the gods is what makes it possible to stop the Snarl.

Actually, the problem with the Snarl is that it's something that lies outside deific foresight, and is incredibly, intrinsically violent to everything it meets, isn't it?

So wouldn't that kind of exacerbate the problem, not fix it?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He could be eaten by the snarl, and go on living in the world on the other side I suppose. Then he could show up as a total badass in the final act when the other members cross over.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Cool, thanks for the explainations on the whole death thing, makes it a lot clearer.

Vampire seems the most likely of the undead, but would it be possible he could be raised as a wraith/ghost/death knight and maintain his character? Ala http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0465.html maybe.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

A Big Dark Yak posted:

I always saw Durkon as more likely for that role (leading to his posthumous homecoming). Of course, thinking that's more likely probably makes it less likely and who the hell knows. :shobon:

I always took that as Durkon going to be zombified by Xykon and used to attack the dwarven lands when he goes for the final gate

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ZeeToo posted:

Actually, the problem with the Snarl is that it's something that lies outside deific foresight, and is incredibly, intrinsically violent to everything it meets, isn't it?

So wouldn't that kind of exacerbate the problem, not fix it?

I'm not sure about the "outside deific foresight" bit, but the other half is certainly true. In all honesty, I was thinking more about the "born of deific frustration and hostility" description when that idea occurred to me. If the Snarl is the kind of being that would end up with divine ranks when statted out, then my idea could still fit.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Do we know that its violent to everything, though? Didn't V's bird see that planet in it, or whatever?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Snarl is pure Chaos, it literally can't make a plan. It just strikes out because it was born of discord.

There's also the glaringly obvious piece of foreshadowing here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html The Snarl does bonus damage to deities. Properly levelled mortals have a better chance.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
New strip

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Aww, poor Gannji and Enor.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
drat, I wish we could've seen the fight between Offpanelo and Notseenicus.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How exactly are those seedings supposed to work? Roy was #1, now he's either #5 (implying reverse seeding, which makes no sense) or he's fighting #5 (who is The Champ, which makes no sense for him to be #5).

Those aren't seedings, they're the order in which battles are fought :doh:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Nipponophile posted:

drat, I wish we could've seen the fight between Offpanelo and Notseenicus.

Buy the book

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

e:fb Nothing to see here

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

LightWarden posted:

New strip

Can you please rehost?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TampaTango posted:

Can you please rehost?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I don't know why you guys are even that sure there IS a Snarl. We've no proof besides stories that the thing even exists. What the bird saw through the gate has me pretty convinced the snarl never existed.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So is the champion Thog?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
God that'd be nice. Also be a nice way to bring Nale into the story and, let's face it, that's going to happen.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Affi posted:

So is the champion Thog?
Well, there was a bounty on Nale so Enor and Gannji may have captured him. Well, with their luck they captured Thug, Thog highly intelligent twin.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Affi posted:

So is the champion Thog?

Unlikely. I don't think it's been thirty seven weeks since we last saw him.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Check out the other names on that ranking list.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Have we seen Thog since Azure city was overrun? With all the boating/rebellion/thieves guild/searching in the desert stuff it could have been half a year at least.

Also it looks like Belkar won't be dying in the Arena unless they have an inpromptu free-for-all or riot, he's not scheduled to fight until next week. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007
So much foreshadowing, I've lost track of all of it!

I had forgotten that Roy was worried about facing the champ when he first arrived.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html