Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Annie, why are you bothering with such convoluted schemes when the answer is so clear?

You just gotta make your hair go up, then there's no way Kat won't be your friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Reel it in, Carver, you've got too much forest in you. It has pushed out all of your common sense!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Robot's obsession with Kat is a little weird, but I look forward to the eventual story payout.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Oxxidation posted:

Okay, Annie has been around Coyote for entirely too long.

She should give Kat one of her teeth.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hope Kat received the memo.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Man, Kat must have been incredibly emotional throughout vacation, if she's this burnt out right now.

Perhaps the spark of love and friendship will rekindle her inventive spirit?
Robot?

:roboluv:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fried Chicken posted:

Robot's obsession with Kat is a little weird, but I look forward to the eventual story payout.

It's not just Robot; all robots who meet her seem to have a similar opinion. See Chapter 25.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

M.c.P posted:

Man, Kat must have been incredibly emotional throughout vacation, if she's this burnt out right now.

Perhaps the spark of love and friendship will rekindle her inventive spirit?
Robot?

:roboluv:

Obviously Annie will steal Robot's line and tell Kat she's beautiful!

:gay:

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Bah, Kat's turned boring. Find a different friend, Annie!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

KnightLight posted:

You shut your whore mouth. :mad:

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010
I just finished reading the whole comic. It took a while for me to get into it, but consider me hooked now. :)
I love stories that play in, and interact with a different and elaborate universe, and what sets this story apart from certain others is that it actually gets back at things and explains what went on in the past. (I personally hate it when something weird happens in a story and it's never explained or mentioned again).

I actually did come here to ask a question (If Reynardine still had feelings for Surma, why did he try to take over her daughter's body (which he at first thought was Surma, even) when he fully well knew it would kill her in the process?)

Someone already answered this question somewhere at the beginning of this thread:

Kismet posted:

I honestly think you're reading way too much into that scene. Reynardine is a trickster, a wild animal, and a bit of a dick. Given the choice between languishing in chains with an old body and a gimped leg for god only knows how long, or leaping into the young teenage daughter of a lady he once had the hots for, he went for Annie. She wouldn't have died so long as he hung out in her body, and I doubt he was thinking that far ahead when an opportunity to escape presented itself.

Which is a good answer and definitely makes sense, Reynardine and Annie don't get along that well in the beginning and it's not until later that he starts to somewhat care about her (or maybe that's his trickster nature fooling me). The thing is though, if he did have feelings for her, he would only have her body. Her spirit would die the moment he enters, not stay alive and sharing the same body until he leaves.

Re-reading the pages where this all happens he notices and asks specifically about her plush toy though, so I'm not really sure what to think.
Annie never brought up this specific event with Reynardine, and when other people do she just brushes it off with a "So what he's my friend now".

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Yeah, I'm still hoping that'll get revisited and put to bed at some point. So far it hasn't seemed like there's been much of an opportunity. Their relationship's been kind of touch-and-go and now that they're finally best buddies Annie probably wouldn't want to jeopardize it by bringing it up just yet.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Didn't Reynardine mention at some point that he pretty much was just feinting at Annie because he knew Eglamore would attack and think Reynard was dead instead of in the doll?

Maybe I'm just making that up.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

KnightLight posted:

A friend like Jack! :pervert:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Just finished reading through the entire comic to the latest and it really makes me sad to know I'll now have to wait to get more of it. I'm seriously blown away by how good a lot of the artwork and writing is in this comic.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Raposa posted:

Didn't Reynardine mention at some point that he pretty much was just feinting at Annie because he knew Eglamore would attack and think Reynard was dead instead of in the doll?

Maybe I'm just making that up.
I saw it mentioned in the thread but I thought it was just speculation. I mean, I just found & read the archives like a week ago, and that was one plot thread that I thought was interesting so I think I would have noticed if he mentioned something like that. Or, maybe my perceptive powers are not as good as I thought they were

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

I like to think that he intended to inhabit the stuffed animal; however, equally possible is that he wanted to take over Annie's body for either revenge (because Annie 'killed' Surma), or for her phoenix powers. I like the second idea because, no doubt, now he would be so remorseful for attempting such a thing and would add to his internal conflict.

Someone mentioned he might be sick of having a spire poke through his leg while he was imprisoned. And while a Rogat Orjak would be a fun body to tool around in, imagine the fun of a fire elemental.

Reynardine mentions interest in the stuffed animal held by Annie:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=46

He then expresses displeasure at having to inhabit it:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=54

Though, he may have been feigning his own demise to avoid detection.

Previous to that, though, he gives up, and insists on keeping Annie safe:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=45

I like how this notion of what he meant to do is ambiguous, even if T.S. didn't mean for it to be (not saying one way or the other.)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
And here's Coyote saying it doesn't sound right that Renard would try to hurt her:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=496

I say it was all a ruse. He always intended to take the stuffed animal.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

wyoming posted:

I say it was all a ruse. He always intended to take the stuffed animal.

Has Siddell said anything about if Reynardine is actually bound in the animal by Annie's mark? (That was a plot point, right? It's been a while since I read the archives...)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's said in the comic that he can't leave without her permission since it's an object she owns. If she were to give up ownership totally, he'd be able to leave since he'd own himself I guess? If she gave him specifically to someone, then they would have possession over him. I think the symbol is just a, uh, well a symbol of the bond rather than any actual magical emblem.

If that's what you were asking.

Relevant wiki page.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Not convoluted enough, Annie! You have to go deeper.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Annie. Annie, listen to me. Sometimes people just need time alone.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Come on, she's had all summer alone, how much more time could she need!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm tired of this slander against dino-demons.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm tired of this slander against dino-demons.

I got nothin' against dino-demons, but I can't stand no evil dino-demons.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 21, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Too much time with Coyote around, that's for sure.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Mercury Hat posted:

It's said in the comic that he can't leave without her permission since it's an object she owns. If she were to give up ownership totally, he'd be able to leave since he'd own himself I guess? If she gave him specifically to someone, then they would have possession over him. I think the symbol is just a, uh, well a symbol of the bond rather than any actual magical emblem.

If that's what you were asking.

Relevant wiki page.

I wonder if he knew it would happen. He had always taken over bodies owned only by the person who had been inhabiting them before he came along (as far as we know). It may have been that he figured the toy would be a safe place to hide, and then he could make a break for it. Only when he was in the body did he realize that he didn't take ownership by inhabiting it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bonster posted:

I wonder if he knew it would happen. He had always taken over bodies owned only by the person who had been inhabiting them before he came along (as far as we know). It may have been that he figured the toy would be a safe place to hide, and then he could make a break for it. Only when he was in the body did he realize that he didn't take ownership by inhabiting it.

That seems correct. Coyote said that as soon as he gave Renard his power the misguided fox went straight to the Court to woo Annie's mom, though one of the flashback panels implies he tested it on a couple forest creatures. Either way, it doesn't seem like he had much time to actually try out possessions especially with inanimated objects.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Carver, sometimes the simplest answers are the best ones. Just go hug her and apologize for running off. :colbert: She is still your friend, you are just being amazingly dumb right now. Kat does not need dumb from you!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ChibiSoma posted:

Carver, sometimes the simplest answers are the best ones. Just go hug her and apologize for running off. :colbert: She is still your friend, you are just being amazingly dumb right now. Kat does not need dumb from you!

She's already apologised, what she needs to do is just act contrite for a few days, while still being friendly.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Guys, totally this is going to work.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I'm just glad we know Kat isn't completely pissed at Annie. :unsmith:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
So, if there really is a Thing in the water, any bets that it will go after Kat and she'll think it's just Annie's shenanigans?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Didn't think we'd see that dude again.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Second-to-last panel of today's is the best panel ever.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I think the last panel of this might still be the best just by virtue of Kat's face

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I really like seeing all these characters we haven't seen in a while.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
Great seeing Basil again, didn't think he'd ever make a return appearance. "Schoolyard Myths" is probably the only chapter of the comic so far which has had pretty much no impact on the overall plot (aside from establishing Annie and Kat's friendship... guess that's pretty important), and I don't think Basil's been mentioned since. Red's a bit of a surprise, too, but she's at least had an entire character arc, so.

I kind of hope the current story moves along pretty soon, though, the last three or four pages have pretty much been rehashing the same idea :\

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

CyRaptor posted:

I kind of hope the current story moves along pretty soon, though, the last three or four pages have pretty much been rehashing the same idea :\

I'm not sure about that. In each one Kat seems to be getting happier. It's like a montage of Annie doing silly things and they're working over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh boy it's Eglam- oh. Uh.