Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Just got an HTC Inspire and I'm totally new to Android. Are there any ROMS that's just vanilla Gingerbread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Ok so I've tried everything and posted this on XDA but figured why not post this here just in case.

Yesterday my Incredible started randomly rebooting. At first I thought it was a simply boot loop, no big deal. Well when I tried getting into recovery, I couldn't; the phone would reboot right on the HTC splash screen (I could boot into HBOOT, but once I selected recovery it just kept rebooting). I tried downgrading/re-installing current radios, HBOOT versions, did complete system resets (radio,splash,recovery,system,etc.) and nothing worked. I went into the local vzw store and they ordered me a replacement that should be here tomorrow but I'm still kind of peeved that I have to deal with a refurb. Although refurb phone is better than no phone at all.

I'm hoping but highly doubt that I'll get a new battery cover with the replacement simply because when I hold my phone, it squeaks like a hamster wheel.

Would anyone happen to have any recommendations that I might have overlooked. I've also tried different recoveries, include CWM 3.0.0.x and 2.x.x.x. and Amon_Ra's

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 15, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Have you changed the noise in the messaging app itself, and not just the phone's settings menu?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 15, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I changed it in the phone settings menu. I had no idea I could change it within the messenger app itself and have just done so. Now to get someone to text me as a test.

Edit: loving HELL YES THANK YOU THAT WORKED.

Yeah, nearly every app with a notification sound has the option to change it from within the app itself.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
What he said, 99.9% of apps have their own settings for notifications. Unless you use CM7, which now supports profiles.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Okay so riddle me this batman, how the heck do I get the alarm clock to use a specific track to wake me up instead of having to add it as a ringtone, then select it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Slopehead posted:

Okay so riddle me this batman, how the heck do I get the alarm clock to use a specific track to wake me up instead of having to add it as a ringtone, then select it.

Add it to your sd card in /media/audio/alarms/ I believe. Never added custom alarms though.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

big mean giraffe posted:

Add it to your sd card in /media/audio/alarms/ I believe. Never added custom alarms though.

This works for me. Cm7.
for customs.. 3 different folders go under the audio folder.
alarms, notifications, ringtones.
I've only used mp3's, but they work fine.

also.. what are the profiles you speak of?

Edit: never noticed the setting, thanks.

deong fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 21, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
They work like blackberry profiles and can be quick switched from the shut down menu. Lets you make custom sound profiles you can switch between quickly.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I only have so much space on my SD card. Is there any way I can drop a shortcut into that /alarm folder?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I only have so much space on my SD card. Is there any way I can drop a shortcut into that /alarm folder?

No, but you can use Root Explorer or EStrong's or adb to push it to /system/media/audio/alarms.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Slopehead posted:

You can put then in /system/media/audio (r/o), but you have less space there.. If you have an internal sd, I suspect you can have the same file structure. not sure if there are any size/length restrictions.. I just do htc sounds.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

So, it looks like someone cracked the keys for the locked Moto phones.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/20/droid-x2milestone-bootloaders-about-to-be-unlocked-keys-for-sbf-files-released/

http://nenolod.net/~nenolod/sholes-keyleak-explained.html

Edit: LOL, Moto:

quote:

Advisory history

* December 20th, 2010 — Motorola notified of keystore vulnerability. No response received from Motorola.
* February 20th, 2011 — Motorola notified again of keystore vulnerability. No response received from Motorola.
* February 27th, 2011 — Motorola notified that keystore vulnerability will be disclosed to public on March 20th. No response received from Motorola.
* March 20th, 2011 — Keystore signature generation vulnerability publically disclosed including private key leak. Response received from Motorola legal.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

big mean giraffe posted:

Or install RingsExtended, and use that to pick any mp3 on your phone to use as an alarm.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
2 Questions:

1- Does rooted tethering work on Verizon for you guys? I have no desire to pay extra, and the thought of a basically free 4G modem for my apartment as a Medical Intern is really awesome.

2- As you can tell from the above, I'm getting an HTC Thunderbolt... any news on the root scene for it, yet? Any ROMs for 2.3 since I believe the default is 2.2 Froyo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzz posted:

2 Questions:

1- Does rooted tethering work on Verizon for you guys? I have no desire to pay extra, and the thought of a basically free 4G modem for my apartment as a Medical Intern is really awesome.

2- As you can tell from the above, I'm getting an HTC Thunderbolt... any news on the root scene for it, yet? Any ROMs for 2.3 since I believe the default is 2.2 Froyo.
I don't know about 1, but in terms of 2 things are looking good. So far it's been rooted, S-OFF, and they've got a custom recovery working on it. It looks like this is going to get a lot of developer attention.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
What's currently the best process to unroot the evo? All the instructions I can find are super old and I'm afraid something has changed and I'll brick my phone.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm having an unusual issue with CM7 on my EVO. Basically, the screen responds.. strangely.. when the phone is plugged in. It's most noticeable when trying to type on the keyboard while plugged in. I frequently get double-presses on letters and other weird behavior that I don't see when typing unplugged.

Has anybody else run into this? It's not a big deal, honestly, just a little weird.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

brc64 posted:

I'm having an unusual issue with CM7 on my EVO. Basically, the screen responds.. strangely.. when the phone is plugged in. It's most noticeable when trying to type on the keyboard while plugged in. I frequently get double-presses on letters and other weird behavior that I don't see when typing unplugged.

Has anybody else run into this? It's not a big deal, honestly, just a little weird.

This probably doesn't help you, but I seem to remember an issue similar to this with some other phone. I don't remember if it was the EVO or something else, but there was a screen responsiveness issue when it was plugged in. Something to do with the phone being grounded. I think that the problem was eventually fixed with an update.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Although I've not tried on Verizon there's nothing that would prevent tethering from working on a rooted device. There are, however, two caveats:

First, Verizon can easily, suddenly, and without notice, start playing the deep-packet-inspection and user-agent-sniffing games that T-Mobile has been playing for a while, and AT&T has apparently recently started (at least with the iPhone). So while you can always tether to view the mobile version of websites with a fake user-agent, future support for arbitrary Internet applications is limited to whatever extent Verzion wants to clamp down on "folks doing things on their 'phone' that can't possibly be done on a phone" (e.g., WoW).

Second, I've found the mobile broadband experience (including Sprint WiMAX, but not Verizon LTE) to be lacking to date. While 4G is really good for wireless service, I find that wired DSL & Cable still has it beat.

So here's the point: If you're getting a Thunderbolt and a Verizon data plan anyways, sure, go ahead and see if tethering is sufficient for you that you don't need wired Internet service. On the other hand, if you're betting on tethering to suffice for your Internet needs, and would adjust your plan arrangements if you knew you'd have to get wired Internet in the end, then seriously consider hedging your bets on this one.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

travisray2004 posted:

Ok so I've tried everything and posted this on XDA but figured why not post this here just in case.

Yesterday my Incredible started randomly rebooting. At first I thought it was a simply boot loop, no big deal. Well when I tried getting into recovery, I couldn't; the phone would reboot right on the HTC splash screen (I could boot into HBOOT, but once I selected recovery it just kept rebooting). I tried downgrading/re-installing current radios, HBOOT versions, did complete system resets (radio,splash,recovery,system,etc.) and nothing worked. I went into the local vzw store and they ordered me a replacement that should be here tomorrow but I'm still kind of peeved that I have to deal with a refurb. Although refurb phone is better than no phone at all.

I'm hoping but highly doubt that I'll get a new battery cover with the replacement simply because when I hold my phone, it squeaks like a hamster wheel.

Would anyone happen to have any recommendations that I might have overlooked. I've also tried different recoveries, include CWM 3.0.0.x and 2.x.x.x. and Amon_Ra's

This exact thing happened with my first EVO, rebooted constantly for no apparent reason, and I reverted back to bone stock to be sure it wasn't a software issue. They looked at it for maybe 2 minutes at the Sprint store and then it rebooted before their eyes so they just swapped my battery and SD card into a refurb and I've been using it ever since with no problems.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

heat posted:

This exact thing happened with my first EVO, rebooted constantly for no apparent reason, and I reverted back to bone stock to be sure it wasn't a software issue. They looked at it for maybe 2 minutes at the Sprint store and then it rebooted before their eyes so they just swapped my battery and SD card into a refurb and I've been using it ever since with no problems.

I was thinking that as well. I've tried too many things for it to be a software flaw. It's just a little bit odd because I have not had a single problem with the phone; although that's electronics.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

This probably doesn't help you, but I seem to remember an issue similar to this with some other phone. I don't remember if it was the EVO or something else, but there was a screen responsiveness issue when it was plugged in. Something to do with the phone being grounded. I think that the problem was eventually fixed with an update.

It was the EVO, and this reminds me of that issue, but I think it's a little different. I was mostly curious if other people were also experiencing it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

brc64 posted:

Are you using a third-party charger/cable? Some phones can apparently behave weirdly when plugged into cheap aftermarket chargers. I know this was a problem with the original Droid.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Penguissimo posted:

Are you using a third-party charger/cable? Some phones can apparently behave weirdly when plugged into cheap aftermarket chargers. I know this was a problem with the original Droid.

I had this problem with my old Palm Pre, but not with the EVO. Getting a better quality charger fixed it on the Pre...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

I'm using the stock charger. If the problem isn't entirely in my head (which I'm not ruling out), I'm fairly certain it's something different with CM7 over Fresh. The grounding issue on the EVO was resolved by making some change to the screen sensitivity, and since Fresh is based on the stock ROM, that fix would be there. I'm wondering if it's just not in CM7.

Or I'm just imagining it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I finally put CM7 on my NC a few days ago, and the nightlies have incremented a few builds. Can I just install over, or do I have to wipe data/cache every time I move to a new nightly?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
doc, tell me a little about it. What is the best feature you got out of CM7? how's bluetooth?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I finally put CM7 on my NC a few days ago, and the nightlies have incremented a few builds. Can I just install over, or do I have to wipe data/cache every time I move to a new nightly?

You can install right over.

Since Nandroid seems to be a sack of poo poo on the NC, I'd recommend taking a single Nandroid backup and then storing it on your PC and not Nandroiding between releases - it was taking about 10 minutes to finish a backup on mine, and it wasn't particularly full.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Nerobro posted:

doc, tell me a little about it. What is the best feature you got out of CM7? how's bluetooth?

Bluetooth wouldn't even turn on, but that's probably because I replaced the kernel with the 1100MHz one. Even before I did that, it ran a lot smoother, but it's even better with the overclock. I hadn't done anything to it previously except one of the earlier auto-nooters, so I'm just now enjoying the updated market and such. Overall it just seems cleaner and faster, scrolling is smoother and games run a lot better. Pinch-zooming works properly. The touchscreen seems to work better and I don't have any trouble touching the upper-right corner anymore, which is necessary because there's soft back and menu keys added to the notification bar. You'll have to remove Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk again if you don't want cell standby showing up on your battery usage. The only thing I can really complain about is the CRT-esque screen off animation doesn't work properly.

Casao posted:

You can install right over.

Awesome, thanks!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bluetooth wouldn't even turn on, but that's probably because I replaced the kernel with the 1100MHz one.

This updated kernel should play nicely with Bluetooth. If you've already flashed the latest ones, there's some bug where you have to shut down (by holding the button until it turns off, NOT through a menu) and turn it back on before bluetooth will turn on.

Also, I got a Zoom keyboard for iPad to use with my Nook, and while sometimes it's okay, there are times where the connection is really intermittent. I'm not sure whether it's the bluetooth or just the keyboard itself, but it can be frustrating.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Since I rooted my Droid and installed Cyanogen, the performance has been slower. What's the deal?

I use Android 2.2.1 and CyanogenMod-6.1.2

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Kazy posted:

This updated kernel should play nicely with Bluetooth. If you've already flashed the latest ones, there's some bug where you have to shut down (by holding the button until it turns off, NOT through a menu) and turn it back on before bluetooth will turn on.

That's the kernel I'm using. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

e: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
I knew about that, but I couldn't even get it turned on.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 21, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

That's the kernel I'm using. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Range on BT is also something around 1 foot at the moment, so keep that in mind.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Nook Color is pretty much flash Nookie Froyo or nothing right?

Is it decently stable, enough that I can at least play most games and get Flash working?

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
So apparently I need to update my OG Motorola Droid to the new FRG83G...

Is this still rootable? Will my usual rooting method still work?

I would hate to upgrade and be stuck with stock.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Telex posted:

Nook Color is pretty much flash Nookie Froyo or nothing right?

Is it decently stable, enough that I can at least play most games and get Flash working?

I Autonooted mine so it's just running 2.1 over the B&N Home because I wanted to have the flexibility to revert for warranty poo poo, and it's fine for me... haven't had many issues other then on some Live wallpapers it will chug in ADW, but then again, I mostly use a static wallpaper anyway since Live wallpapers are just a waste of battery power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chomper posted:

So apparently I need to update my OG Motorola Droid to the new FRG83G...

Is this still rootable? Will my usual rooting method still work?

I would hate to upgrade and be stuck with stock.

You might be better off waiting a few days/hours/minutes and just flashing a rooted FRG83G image, which I'm sure will be up on XDA before long.