Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Victory cruisers are sharp as poo poo.

And people on them actually wave back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Frankston posted:

I've been commuting on my bike for a whole 7 days now and tonight some sad little bastard thought it would be a good idea to push it over. I didn't know till I was on my break and went outside to see it lying on it's side.

Luckily there isn't too much damage, just the rear indicator stalk is bent upwards at an angle.

My disc lock is all chipped to gently caress as well so I don't know if they had a go at that before giving up and pushing it over in frustration.

loving people.

You park in a parking lot? Blacktop? Kickstands sink into that poo poo. I've had that happen to me twice - once it fell over, then I got smart and put it on the center stand, only to come outside and find it sank on that down to the back wheel. Get a small metal plate or a lid or something to spread the surface area of the kickstand out.

Unless you don't, in which case some rear end in a top hat pushed your bike over.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well what's nice about victory is that they have several pretty noticeably 'different' bike styles, so if you find one hideously ugly, there's a few more shots in the lineup that might interest you.

If only they didn't cost more than a car.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

I always thought they were fat and ugly (the touring bike at least), but I'm glad they're around doing their thing with some success. Maybe Motus is trying to follow Victory's route (only without the cruiser option).

Maybe, although I don't see how it makes much sense to try and make the American sport touring motorcycle when the size of the sport touring market is tiny compared to the cruiser market. But maybe they have some grand plan and I just don't see it. :iiam:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Well what's nice about victory is that they have several pretty noticeably 'different' bike styles, so if you find one hideously ugly, there's a few more shots in the lineup that might interest you.

If only they didn't cost more than a car.

The Victory Vision ( :catstare: ) has some nice lines, but then you get to the front and its like "WTF went wrong here??". That integrated hard box on the back is pretty ruinous too. I've just been browsing their site and it looks like the Vision 8-ball rectifies a lot of what's wrong with the regular version, it's pretty nice actually. The Hammer looks good for a cruiser too. I could leave the rest of the lineup though, but I'm not really into cruisers.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Linedance posted:

I'm not really into cruisers.

You know, bet you'd like this sweet new sport tourer coming out from a new american company...

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

You park in a parking lot? Blacktop? Kickstands sink into that poo poo. I've had that happen to me twice - once it fell over, then I got smart and put it on the center stand, only to come outside and find it sank on that down to the back wheel. Get a small metal plate or a lid or something to spread the surface area of the kickstand out.

Unless you don't, in which case some rear end in a top hat pushed your bike over.

Yeah it's in a car park. Gonna have to park it up against a wall from now on and put the cover on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You know, bet you'd like this sweet new sport tourer coming out from a new american company...

It's come full circle :stare:

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Victory seem to be doing well here in NZ, although they seem to be exclusively owned by massive douche bags with small man syndrome.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Linedance posted:

The Victory Vision ( :catstare: ) has some nice lines, but then you get to the front and its like "WTF went wrong here??". That integrated hard box on the back is pretty ruinous too. I've just been browsing their site and it looks like the Vision 8-ball rectifies a lot of what's wrong with the regular version, it's pretty nice actually. The Hammer looks good for a cruiser too. I could leave the rest of the lineup though, but I'm not really into cruisers.

I think they are a nice alternative to Harley's. HD bikes are pretty nice, but they're too ubiquitous. I wish other companies had Harley's t-shirt policy though, I'd love to have a Triumph Rome or Dublin shirt.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
The Vision is a pretty stupid bike but I rode a Hammer at a demo ride a couple years back and actually like it for what it was. The lack of vibration certainly was nice, unlike the Sportster I'd ridden earlier.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

I like just about anything with 2 wheels that I can ride.

Finally, my posts are just my opinions. Don't worry so much about what I think about something, it's not like they're gonna fail cause some jerk on the internet thinks they're doing it wrong.

That's not what I'm talking about and you know it. You and I both know I'm talking about motorcycles we discuss online, not what you ride in person. You clearly rage against anything that's not a sportbike or supermoto. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but if hate these motorcycles to the point you make poo poo up, and everyone knows you hate these motorcycles, then if you keep raging everyone they come up you're just making GBS threads up the forums and discouraging discussion. Like what happened in the electric motorcycle thread. You and several others bitched that thread dead.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
New stuff! :)

HJC CL-Max II from NewEnough MotorcycleGear:

Sidecover decals for the Twinkie (and a squeegee and a magnet and a coupon) from eDecals:

E: got NewEnough's new name wrong :downs:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 19, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Are you gonna put the eDecals Decal on your bike? Cause that'd be kinda funny.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I should get an eSqueegees decal to replace the one on there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coredump posted:

That's not what I'm talking about and you know it. You and I both know I'm talking about motorcycles we discuss online, not what you ride in person. You clearly rage against anything that's not a sportbike or supermoto. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but if hate these motorcycles to the point you make poo poo up, and everyone knows you hate these motorcycles, then if you keep raging everyone they come up you're just making GBS threads up the forums and discouraging discussion. Like what happened in the electric motorcycle thread. You and several others bitched that thread dead.

Me making poo poo up is pretty amusing coming from the guy who didn't even bother to read his own references, and quoted the Motus engine weight minus the transmission. :xd: And I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about with "motorcycles we discuss online", I'd say exactly the same things I've said here (although worded a bit nicer) to the Motus guys if I ever met them in person.

And I'm not exactly sure what you're bitching about with the electric bike thread. There was a lot of disbelief in that thread until we got some actual solid info from people who are working in the industry or on those who are racing the bikes and started discovering the unique potential there. The last pages have been filled with people being pretty excited about what we're seeing, from Chip Yates's electric bike to the new Mission R.

So...believe whatever you want to believe, we had a pretty interesting discussion on the Motus and startup motorcycle companies. Sorry you missed it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 20, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

And I'm not exactly sure what you're bitching about with the electric bike thread. There was a lot of disbelief in that thread until we got some actual solid info from people who are working in the industry or on those who are racing the bikes and started discovering the unique potential there.

You are so darling! If I didn't know better I'd think you genuinely don't see how the arguments you've made regarding prototype motorcycles in both threads are similar, but you're just a troll so it's all good.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

Me making poo poo up is pretty amusing coming from the guy who didn't even bother to read his own references, and quoted the Motus engine weight minus the transmission.

And I'm not exactly sure what you're bitching about with the electric bike thread. There was a lot of disbelief in that thread until we got some actual solid info from people who are working in the industry or on those who are racing the bikes and started discovering the unique potential there. The last pages have been filled with people being pretty excited about what we're seeing, from Chip Yates's electric bike to the new Mission R.

So...believe whatever you want to believe, we had a pretty interesting discussion on the Motus and startup motorcycle companies. Sorry you missed it.

I slip up and misread one source, which I included so people can check me and you're going to accuse me of making poo poo up? When you bring up three points out of your own rear end and I proved you wrong with sources on each one? I make poo poo up? This is getting sad Z3n.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
goddamn it everyone get your panties out of a bunch and lets talk about motorcycles. I went riding with my manager today. It's always a good time when you and you manager are taking about looking out for the cops.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I went down a local twisty road today to knock the cobwebs off as the only riding I've done for the last few months is commuting to work in the city. I was just taking it easy and not really pushing it when I looked down at the speedo and realized that I was taking corners faster than where I left off last year. I felt much more relaxed and in control and no where close to pushing it like I was before. I'm to the point now where I can actually tell what my suspension is doing and feel the weak points.
I guess it's time to take it to the track and actually learn to ride fast in the proper environment.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Ditto, I lost all feedback from the front end of my 636 while still leaned over today. I've been wanting to go to the track for awhile but I'm still unemployed so I end up just going faster on the street.

Supermoto races start in April though so I'm going there to watch and get the straight poo poo once and for all about whether or not I need safety wire. I emailed them last year and got two organizers arguing with one another about it. :bang:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just spent a good half hour running around the car park trying to bump start my bike, resulting in a snapped brake lever and broken wing mirror, before noticing that some bastard had indeed turned the killswitch on.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I pretty much ran out of fuel on the K75 today.... that warning light telling you that you have 5 liters of fuel is totally lying :(

Luckily I was near an offramp as it started sputtering, managed to get to a Chevron station.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

I always thought they were fat and ugly (the touring bike at least), but I'm glad they're around doing their thing with some success. Maybe Motus is trying to follow Victory's route (only without the cruiser option).

Well, they are fat and ugly but only by sane motorcycle standards, not cruiser standards.

I rode an early "sport cruiser" and it was pretty good for a cruiser. I.e. a turd polished with impressive dedication. Unfortunately still a turd, but you had to admire the skill.

If you HAD to have a cruiser, I have no loving idea why you would buy a Hardley over a Victory (but then I don't buy cruisers). The fit and finish even 10 years ago was in a different league to the awful Dodge/Chrysler style plastics, cheap shitmetal and sheer ugly you see on Harley's products.

Disappointed to hear Z3n has been declared a troll. He really had me going with all that constructive posting, duck pictures etc. Well played dude. :golfclap:

Frankston, think of this as a learning experience. In case it needs saying, don't pay Honda for the mirror and lever, just get pattern ones. https://www.wemoto.com should have them.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Frankston posted:

Just spent a good half hour running around the car park trying to bump start my bike, resulting in a snapped brake lever and broken wing mirror, before noticing that some bastard had indeed turned the killswitch on.

Get in to the habit of always shutting the bike down with the kill switch (or always flicking the kill switch off after you turn the bike off with the key if you prefer - one good reason for always using the kill switch though is that if you ever have an emergency like a stuck throttle, the kill switch will be what you automatically go for to shut the bike down), that way flicking the switch on will become part of your standard pre-flight checklist. :)

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

In my MSF course, we had it drilled into our heads to always shut off the kill switch first. I always assumed there was some sort of actual reason for it that makes it better that way, but I guess if a lot of people don't do it, there must not be? Still, I'm glad I got in the habit, since apparently there's practical reasons for it, QED.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
My Hornet comes with specific instructions NOT to use the killswitch to shut off the bike, but to turn the ignition to off instead.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Saga posted:

My Hornet comes with specific instructions NOT to use the killswitch to shut off the bike, but to turn the ignition to off instead.

Do you have any idea why?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Shutting your bike off is done by putting the sidestand down. Like a boss.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Disappointed to hear Z3n has been declared a troll. He really had me going with all that constructive posting, duck pictures etc. Well played dude. :golfclap:

Playin' the long game here, obviously. ;)

Madman, sometimes the electronics on the bike don't respond well to killswitch shutdowns. I flip between using the key and the killswitch depending on the bike I'm on, the impulse to stab the kill switch in case of emergency (ie, while you're crashing) has been well developed at this point.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

the impulse to stab the kill switch in case of emergency (ie, while you're crashing) has been well developed at this point.

*shakuhachi plays*

At what point does crashing stop being an emergency and start being instead ... a way of life?

*gong*

-- Z3n and the art of motorcycle destruction

Z3n posted:

Madman, sometimes the electronics on the bike don't respond well to killswitch shutdowns.

As I hadn't seen this on my old EFI 954 and certainly not on my previous carb'd bikes, my uninformed guess was it had something to do with the cat. Though why the kill switch would be worse than switching the ignition off with motor running I don't know. But equally if you just basically kill the ignition circuit in either case, why would the electronics care?

I'm not dedicated enough to decipher a modern bike's wiring diagram (!) to find the answer to this one, but my point was really that people might want to be aware that on some modern bikes (I imagine the same warning comes with every new Honda) you're actually not supposed to use the killswitch unless you really can't use the ignition switch.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

SlightlyMadman posted:

In my MSF course, we had it drilled into our heads to always shut off the kill switch first. I always assumed there was some sort of actual reason for it that makes it better that way, but I guess if a lot of people don't do it, there must not be? Still, I'm glad I got in the habit, since apparently there's practical reasons for it, QED.

This is taught in rider ed so you keep both your hands on the handlebars, near the controls. That way you can keep the clutch in and front brake applied until the engine stops running.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Uh. Crap. I thought the appropriate way to turn off the bike was the kill switch.

Oh dear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

*shakuhachi plays*

At what point does crashing stop being an emergency and start being instead ... a way of life?

*gong*

-- Z3n and the art of motorcycle destruction

When you take up supermoto, obviously.

quote:

As I hadn't seen this on my old EFI 954 and certainly not on my previous carb'd bikes, my uninformed guess was it had something to do with the cat. Though why the kill switch would be worse than switching the ignition off with motor running I don't know. But equally if you just basically kill the ignition circuit in either case, why would the electronics care?

I'm not dedicated enough to decipher a modern bike's wiring diagram (!) to find the answer to this one, but my point was really that people might want to be aware that on some modern bikes (I imagine the same warning comes with every new Honda) you're actually not supposed to use the killswitch unless you really can't use the ignition switch.

Not all of them kill the ignition circuit. On the GIXXAH it actually kills the fuel pump and entire FI system, and might do weird stuff to the ECU as well. I don't recall if the killswitch killed the pump on my 929.

Regardless of that, I agree with MSF...it's important to train 2 things in case of emergency: Clutch in in case of a blown engine, and killswitch when you're crashing to minimize engine damage from it running on it's side. Once you're comfortable with using the killswitch and that impulse has been engrained, start killing it with the key, the sidestand, whatever. (like a boss)

I've seen plenty of Honda owners who shut their bikes off with the killswitch, my 929 never had a problem with 50k of using the killswitch. But I don't know if it had a warning in the manual about using the killswitch.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't have a kill switch, I have a start switch. I think if you push it the other way someone X'es out your O or something, but I have no idea, I don't think I've ever pushed it in that direction. I do know it gets a bit sticky in the winter and doesn't quite release from O which makes a ! light up on the dash.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I always switch off using the kill switch.

I am completely at a loss as to what I could possibly gently caress up by using the kill switch. EFI? Catalytic converter? Fuel gauge? Automatic anything at all? What manner of devilry is this you speak of?! :v:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Huh, apparently Triumph states that the kill switch on a Bonneville should be used only in an emergency, but a bit of reading up at triumphrat.net shows that the reason for this is that if you kill it with the switch but leave the keys in the ignition, most of the bike's electrical stays live and it'll drain the battery. While there's some pretty heavy debate on both sides, the majority opinion from people who know electronics and have looked at the schematics is that it can't possibly hurt the bike.

That's just for Triumphs though, so YMMV. I'll stick with what I learned in the MSF, since it's worked out for me so far.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Just saw this on NADA looking at values of some stuff on CL and saw this. Thought you guys might get a kick out of it. Im sure there is some explanation about real old bikes or something, but that's not as funny.

NADA posted:

Explaining value conditions, excellent,very good, good, fair and...

Poor — Used for Harley-Davidson and Indian motorcycles only....

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 21, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SlightlyMadman posted:

hile there's some pretty heavy debate on both sides, the majority opinion from people who know electronics and have looked at the schematics is that it can't possibly hurt the bike.

My dad has worked with electronics for the last ~35 years and his input is that any piece of electronics that can't handle a clean loss of power without dying or sustaining permanent damage should pretty much have resulted in the responsible engineer being sacked on the spot.

And preferably shot, hung, drowned, drawn and quartered as well.

It's exceedingly poor design to make electronics that fragile, especially considering the harsh environment bike electronics are exposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I kill my Vespa and KLR with the kill switch, and then as soon as the bike is off I put it back to the start position. Just habit from my MSR in the 80's. I guess modern bikes are different, but I drive a tractor and an old 2smoke, so what would I know.

Also, I have taken the MSR again since then, and they didn't mention anything about pulling in the clutch when doing emergency braking or anything like that, which I found odd (seeing as how the first MSR course I took mentioned that with the reason being that you might have to get your bike moving again and fast). Anyone else notice anything like that?