Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I feel like Howard and Fred were absolutely right, even if it bummed me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Howard's hippy cousins need to stfu. They're just as stupid as Robin.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Glumwheels posted:

Howard's hippy cousins need to stfu. They're just as stupid as Robin.

They're just blatantly in it for money - they don't believe any of this stuff. There are tons of people like this. They poorly understand science, they make an outrageous claim based on spurious logic like "If you keep your microwave oven too close to your pantry, the radiation from it will make your food radioactive!" and then they come up with a solution to that "problem" that they sell to people.

It's like the first rule of snake-oil salesmanship.

1. Identify a "problem"
2. Define a solution (need not actually work)
3. Convince people they have the problem
4. Sell them your solution
5. Profit

(I know there's no ??? phase, that phase is for actual products)

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Seriously the best caller

Ralph is number two.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Why aren't they replaying the show? What is this "Spotlight on Stuttering John" poo poo?

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
This ain't Hot Rod magazine, pal!

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

beergod posted:

Why aren't they replaying the show? What is this "Spotlight on Stuttering John" poo poo?

Uh oh, was something said on air today that Howard and/or management don't want to be heard again? The M.O. for incidents like that is to not air the replay.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Maybe the Artie stuff?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Artie loves pancakes.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Funny they think bringing ronnie in to do the topless bit somehow adds to it.

Alkaphanel
Dec 29, 2008
I'm in the "hate to agree with them" pile as well. I guess I have to wish for anyone to fill the Artie chair rather than Artie coming back.

I'd see a potential Artie studio visit going 2 ways.

1) A whitewashed interview about "A dark place" and how the doctors are "Great guys" and "big fans of the show" and they help on his road to recovery. Then he'll be rushed out of the studio with well wishes and not mentioned again for 12 months.

2) The interview from above, but with callers. The first one is Yucko, making a lovely "Stab yourself" joke, next up are 3 seperate callers who think they'll be funny by opening the call with "Waaaaahhh!"

Any serious discussion of Artie's problem would have to address the ~15 months where Artie was irritable, sleeping, violent or absent while Howard took no notice and admonished everything with "Its great when Artie is here and we really like him being part of the show"

Thank you to whoever posted the "Artie Lange Addiction Saga" in the last thread. The guy is annoying and thinks he's a Hot Jock, but the concentration of content in 6 MP3s is amazing. Listening to it and listening to the current shows are a stark contrast.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
Artie was a fantastic addition to the show and made it listenable for me. I can barely stand it anymore, and aside from a few moments now and then, I think the show is just about done for.

Everything has a life cycle and Howard knows he's on the way out - he's not as relevant as he once was, unfortunately. Moving to Sirius gave him a ton of freedom and the first few years there were amazing, but I think that after a while, the guests began to dry up as publicists looked at Sirius bookings as low return on investment. You have X hours, and Howard Stern has, at most, 1/10th the reach he used to have (more realistically 1/20th or lower). He's aging along with his fanbase - which used to be, say, 15 to 50 year olds, and now has got to be 24 to 60 year olds. Can you imagine a modern-day 15 year old listening to Howard's show today? What the hell would he find interesting? Richard and Sal, that's probably it.

Anyway, it's depressing and kind of sad, and I still listen when something interesting happens, but mostly when I listen to the show I feel the same way I do when I go back to the town where I grew up and talk to my high school buddies. It's fun, kind of familiar, but a lot of them are doing the same kind of thing they've always done, and are content working at the same place they've worked since then, even though it's been 15 years. When one of the smartest guys you knew in high school tells you he's excited because the Barnes & Noble where he works just promoted him and he makes $48K/year now, you feel kind of good for him but sad at the same time. So much potential wasted.

Oh well, the Howard Stern show was legendary, it changed the face of radio, and even in its current form it's better than just about any other radio show on the planet, but it's hard to compare it to the heydays of the 90s/early 2000s.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I hope Black on Black is 10% as awesome as I think it will be

edit
already killing him for security guard pants "what you been brushing your hair with...an eraser....yo hairline is gone...oh my god hahahaha"

expectations met

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 22, 2011

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Ribsauce posted:

I hope Black on Black is 10% as awesome as I think it will be

5 minutes in and it's hilarious

Ow! I got bit! Oh it's this alligator on my shirt. Lacoste, nigga!

sedative fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 22, 2011

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
oh my god everyone turn this on right now! They should just replay this for 4 hours on Friday instead of the week's highlights

caller: What is your advice to help Big Black get some pussy

KOAB: Yo, I'm telling you right now, he need a gun to get some pussy

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

therapy posted:

They're just blatantly in it for money - they don't believe any of this stuff. There are tons of people like this. They poorly understand science, they make an outrageous claim based on spurious logic like "If you keep your microwave oven too close to your pantry, the radiation from it will make your food radioactive!" and then they come up with a solution to that "problem" that they sell to people.

It's like the first rule of snake-oil salesmanship.

1. Identify a "problem"
2. Define a solution (need not actually work)
3. Convince people they have the problem
4. Sell them your solution
5. Profit

(I know there's no ??? phase, that phase is for actual products)

I just realized his cousin is that idiot from the beeceuticals/health from the hive commercials.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Debbie the Amazing Pet lady is hilarious, a new wack packer in the making.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Ok so in regards to not replaying the show this afternoon.

Currently, with no show to put on at 3pm, they have put on the "tapes" programming.
Stern Spotlight: Stuttering John is this week. It was advertised last week that it was airing this week, so it has nothing to do with anything mentioned on today's show.

The H101 schedule is Scottie till 9am, west coast feed from 9am until 2pm. Some days 2pm is SFRT till 3pm. Then 3pm to 7pm is the current programming of tapes specials. 7pm-8pm is specialty programs and then Scottie at 8pm.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I wanna know what happened to the Hillbilly (jack?) and graveyard Greg from the previous whack pack contest.

Also black on black is awesome, it's up there with the Riley Martin show in terms of great craziness.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

an adult beverage posted:

Debbie the Amazing Pet lady is hilarious, a new wack packer in the making.

She sounded almost exactly like elliot offin today right down to the "right" after saying things.

Love the "robin" drop though. Anything to break up the news.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I am not gonna lie, I would listen to this every single day. That was loving incredible. Best hour outside of the original T-O-P-L-E-S-S call this month.

Just e-mailed sternshow@howardstern.com to beg them to make this a weekly show. I said to give them Bubba's slot!

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 22, 2011

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

drat it, I missed it. Do they ever replay the 101 shows?

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
It's on youtube, ericthebedhumper is loving money in the bank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBTmFfy36lg

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Peter North posted:

haha oh man three seconds in, big black starts talking about the NFL and KOAB : Man gently caress all that...

love it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Oh god this show is amazing.

"I gotta get you a Spanish girl. They looooooooooooooooooooooove suckin' dick."

:laffo:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

quote:

Wanted: Geiger Counter
March 21, 2011 by Cousin Richie

With all the issues facing Japan and the world regarding radiation spreading globally I wanted to have a way to check my produce and groceries for any traces of radiation contamination before bringing it home. No one wants his or her Romaine lettuce contaminated with radiation, no matter how miniscule. Being an ex-grocer, that’s just how I think. For me, the answer is using a Geiger Counter, GC for short. Allow me to explain why I think it’s essential for everyone to own one and how to use it.

These noisy instruments can come in handy at a time like this. A GC measures radiation. Unfortunately, right now, it’s very difficult to find one. So I would place the ad on an Internet or Social Networking site to find a GC.

My classified ad would read like this:

Wanted: Hand Held Geiger Counter. Looking to purchase six portable hand held Geiger Counters. Must be small, about the size of a deck of cards, easily fits into a pocket. Must have way to shut off sound.

Once I’m lucky enough to find and then purchase said instrument, I can then set about checking any food items I may want to get. Here’s my quiet plan. Carry my GC into a grocery store with the sound off. Very discretely check the products I am interested in purchasing. Romaine, tomatoes, kale, garlic, apples will each be tested in my secretive way. Low radiation levels:buy. High levels:bye bye! In this way I can be an informed consumer and watch out for my family. All information is between me and my GC. I would always follow the prime directive: never bring attention to me or my Geiger Counter.

If you think you may be interested in following my footsteps, there’s a bit more Geiger Counter info you need to know about. Specs are pretty simple, about the size of a deck of cards and small enough to fit into a pocket. Must have sound control with digital or needle gauge. If no earphone jack, then it needs a volume shut off. Price: $ 200- $500.

To be even safer, I would suggest food stores also get their own GCs and test their food deliveries. The food distribution warehouses should immediately start monitoring produce on the loading docks. The earlier in the distribution pipeline the better. Before the warehouse accepts a delivery, a GC must be used to scan the pallet. If it passes, accept delivery. If it fails, refuse it right there on the dock. Label the produce: Certified Geiger Counter Tested. Look for the CGCT label (I just invented this new certification term, what do you think?). I would buy produce with this new label. The CGCT label would become a way to communicate that the produce has been tested and is free of any radioactive materials.

This is not crazy stuff. Reuters reports that an upscale Japanese restaurant in Taiwan is offering radiation checks for its diners

Finally, we come to the end of my GC wanted ad:

Price not to exceed $500 including freight.

Motivated Buyer

I honestly don't know who's more retarded at this point, Cousin Richie or Robin. I'd be more worried about Radon than the radioactivity of my fruits and vegetables.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
He's going to put a bullet in his head when he scans his hand by mistake and finds out he's constantly emitting radiation.

ziglol
Oct 13, 2006

Peter North posted:

Screw Artie, put KOAB in Artie's chair.

*guest walks in*

Wooaah, what are those you wearing, I thought you were a rich celebrity?

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Robin watch this, IDENTITY GUARD! Look who woke up, Fred.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
"You can't get it fixed 'cause they went out of business!"

Thats such an amazing line, KOAB.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Peter North posted:

drat I am going to listen to this at least twice at work today. Can't they get the Jay Thomas slot or something?

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
What was with that prank call about the toupee? Were those really sound clips of robin? Is that a subtle way of Sal and Richard trolling her about going bald?

Also, add to the list bitches:

Things I learned about being healthy from Robin

Dump coffee into your rear end every day
Don't eat fruit its nothing but sugar
Milk is BAD for you

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I heard them mention pasteurization? Is Robin against that too? How loving nuts can she be? Isn't it common knowledge what pasteurization does and how important it is?

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

scapulataf posted:

Things I learned about being healthy from Robin

Dump coffee into your rear end every day
Don't eat fruit its nothing but sugar
Milk is BAD for you
You know if congress would just get off their asses and modify this nation's founding document so it could include trendy health food tips from fly-by-night diet planners, we wouldn't be so ignorant.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Joe Don Baker posted:

I heard them mention pasteurization? Is Robin against that too? How loving nuts can she be? Isn't it common knowledge what pasteurization does and how important it is?

Yeah, Robin criticized Gary for drinking something that had been pasteurized.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Literally every bottled, jarred, canned, or otherwise sealed food item has been pasteurized.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Butthole Prince posted:

Yeah, Robin criticized Gary for drinking something that had been pasteurized.

gently caress.

I usually keep my mouth shut when people tell me about their wacky diets or health ideas. However, an acquaintance of mine told me that she gave her kids unpasteurized milk (followed by some bullshit explanation). I flipped my lid and verbally unloaded on her why she was crazy and how she wasn't fit to be a parent. I feel bad about it, but she did stop giving to it her kids.

This is the same person who owns a book on how to pick the gender of an unborn child. :psyduck:

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
There are some wacky ideas out there about pasteurized foods, but none of it has any real scientific data to back it up.
My local town that has a pretty strong hippie, natural food community has a few "farms" who have actually been busted by the FDA for selling unpasteurized milk. Its become a pretty large black market in some cities.

Ughh, Sorry Robin, but "The Next Three Days" sucked and has generally bad reviews across the board.

Mr Lance Murdock fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 22, 2011

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

There are some wacky ideas out there about pasteurized foods, but none of it has any real scientific data to back it up.
My local town that has a pretty strong hippie, natural food community has a few "farms" who have actually been busted by the FDA for selling unpasteurized milk. Its become a pretty large black market in some cities.

The person I referred to was apparently buying it from some local person who owned a milk cow. They just squirted the poo poo into bottles and she gave it to her kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I would try cheese made from it due to alleged flavor reasons, but you really don't want to risk children, whose immune systems aren't as strong, with potential bacterial poisoning. Especially when you have no clue about the cleanliness of these black market operations.

edit -

"Milk creates mucus in the body."
"Why do you think you have fungus? Because you drink milk."

Holy gently caress.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 22, 2011