Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Scam.

I..er, I know... I was just testing you guys

:blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I'm guilty of googling e-mail address of people from craigslist.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I usually like to use searchtempest.com to see if the same craigslist ad is in two vastly different geographic areas. Scammers are lazy and copy/paste verbatim usually.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Somebody doesn't ever use the rear brake.
I have no idea what this means.

Scrapez posted:

Stoppies at every red light.
Aren't SM riders obligated to stoppie at every red light and wheelie at every green, or did the supermotard thread mislead me?

Edit: VV Oh, I thought that comment was aimed at me for some reason. I'm dumb.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 18, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Loucks posted:

I have no idea what this means.

(look at the rear brake rotor)

Loucks posted:

Aren't SM riders obligated to stoppie at every red light and wheelie at every green

Yes.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I was closer and had the money, I'd be all over this project.

http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/2266006024.html

'72 CB 350 for $250, complete but needs a rebuild from the looks of it.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2263515957.html

This decent?

$1.2k for a 2000 GS500. Salvage title though

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-1996-Suzuki-Bandit-W0QQAdIdZ267036136

This looks like a steal.

When you consider a 400cc Bandit that is 5 years older in my area is somehow 500$ more. :psyduck:

Logue
Nov 16, 2005
Oooh, this looks like a nice little bike for bombing around town: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcd/2231017883.html

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Is this a rare bike or something? Why the hell is it $4500?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ You're not the only one.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The last few days have been weird. First I get thrown into a truck and my SV's front end trashed, then I find out that I've inherited some money from my recently-deceased grandma. While I wrestle with insurance to see what I can do with my poor SV, I'm looking at new bikes already. Thinking about it.

I found this, a white DRZ:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2271459790.html

quote:

Selling this excellent 2009 Suzuki DRZ 400Supermoto due to health issues. Like new - only 567 miles on this beauty! Original older owner. This bike is a blast to ride, and 67 MPG makes things even sweeter! Excellent original stock condition with the addition of a Suzuki factory rack and easily removable deluxe weatherproof zippered bag. Never dropped. Always garaged and covered and on battery tender. Sta-bil in fuel tank for winter storage. Asking $4950.

$4950. I emailed the seller, and he says it's due for its 600 mile tune-up. $6,699 new, $5000 seems like a deal. He says he hasn't done any racing, wheelies, or stoppies. It hasn't been dropped. Garage-stored on battery tender.

What should I look for? What are their valve adjustment intervals?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Valve adjustment intervals are 15k. That seems a bit high pricewise, but it's got so few miles so it sort of evens out. The biggest problem with that bike in my mind is the lack of upgrades...You'd want at least the flatslide and a larger tank if you plan to do any extensive riding on it. So budget in another $500-700 for that.

I'd try and find a lower priced one with more mods, personally.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I was thinking the same thing, thanks :)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

the walkin dude posted:

He says he hasn't done any racing, wheelies, or stoppies.

My impression from the local sumo crew was that this is physically impossible and this person is a liar.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

My impression from the local sumo crew was that this is physically impossible and this person is a liar.

With only 567 miles and if he's one of those "No RIDING OVER 4k DURING BRAKE IN" jerks then I could see it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

With only 567 miles and if he's one of those "No RIDING OVER 4k DURING BRAKE IN" jerks then I could see it.

Whatever. You're just trolling.

Is it time for a new engine on this thing?
http://www.ridemerchant.com/classifieds/item/show/97697-2000-triumph-daytona-955i

oh. Bah. He's being a dick. 1000 at the top, but actual price is 4500. Not horrible, I guess. Not as good as I thought.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

the walkin dude posted:

The last few days have been weird. First I get thrown into a truck and my SV's front end trashed, then I find out that I've inherited some money from my recently-deceased grandma. While I wrestle with insurance to see what I can do with my poor SV, I'm looking at new bikes already. Thinking about it.

I found this, a white DRZ:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2271459790.html

$4950. I emailed the seller, and he says it's due for its 600 mile tune-up. $6,699 new, $5000 seems like a deal. He says he hasn't done any racing, wheelies, or stoppies. It hasn't been dropped. Garage-stored on battery tender.

What should I look for? What are their valve adjustment intervals?
Call the Suzuki dealership. They were selling new ones for about 4500 here (NC) a bit ago

edit
would this be a good trail bike that I can also ride on city streets? http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/2278203730.html

how loud can I expect it to be? What is a good offer?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Probably very loud and I wouldn't offer much over $1000 in the best of cases. It's a 1998 and at this point there are far better dualsports you could pick up for not a crazy amount.

I'd low-ball him at 1k and see what you can do. If he tells you to gently caress off then it's not a big loss if you move on.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/2280529533.html

Sounds like a fair trade.

Text if it gets deleted: I'm looking for a 250 Kawasaki Ninja bike, preferably the newer styles. Have a brand new engagement ring and will straight up trade for a bike. Email // Text or Call

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

shaitan posted:

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/2280529533.html

Sounds like a fair trade.

Text if it gets deleted: I'm looking for a 250 Kawasaki Ninja bike, preferably the newer styles. Have a brand new engagement ring and will straight up trade for a bike. Email // Text or Call

He hosed up, got her a ring instead of a motorcycle, now he's trying to make right.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

He hosed up, got her a ring instead of a motorcycle, now he's trying to make right.

The man should be revered. Though, remember, If it's got tits or wheels, it'll cost ya. :)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Scrapez posted:

The man should be revered. Though, remember, If it's got tits or wheels, it'll cost ya. :)

If it has tits *and* wheels, you're the luckiest man on earth.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If it has tits *and* wheels, you're the luckiest man on earth.

Six tits and two wheels :smug:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Six tits and two wheels :smug:

Don't ever let her go.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
If you like old bikes, looks like bring a trailer has expanded with http://throttleyard.com/ , I'm excited for more and usually affordable vintage bikes!

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007
Locally, I saw an '07 BMW F800S, 5k miles, with ABS and heated grips, for $5k. Looks to be an absolute steal to me, am I insane for considering it?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Hey would this be a good bike for commuting to work on and riding down some fire roads and stuff during the weekend? I figure with the big tank I could ride it down to my friend's land at the coast and tear up the trails there as well. I just want to buy something cheap for dirt riding in case I decide I hate it or run it off a cliff after two days. Also, I don't want to buy a nice bike because I will have to keep it outside under a tarp until I can get in a different place. So I don't want to buy a 3,500 dollar bike and then leave it outside when I can buy a cheap one and resell it later when I get a garage

http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/2284455084.html
edit

dude told me
t does have a title and is plated I don't have racks for it but I am currently having a BBQ rack built for it when I bought the bike it was in Virginia an he told me that he took a insurance claim for a dent in the tank so they totaled it and he bought it back from them not bad for him but now it has a salvage title but the bike runs great
Sent from my iPhone

I am not sure what the salvage title means as far as value or desirability , I figure if I can get it for a grand I don't really care if it explodes after a few months if in the meantime it lets me get comfortable on dirt and decide if I like it. I've been casually looking for a dirt friendly bike for a couple of months, but now that tax season is almost over I will have time to ride and need to actually get one haha

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 26, 2011

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Salvage title means don't pay a lot for it. Nothing necessarily wrong with the bike, but a salvage title does necessarily devalue it. I wouldn't pay more than a grand for it and I'd start out even lower.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you didn't know, I think the INMATES WELCOME part is referring to advrider members, so you can use that as a bargaining point.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Further correspondence

"No damage to the bike other than regular riding scuffs I bought a parts bike that was only missing a gas tank that's where I got the pumper carb and all the dirt stuff the guy I bought the parts bike off of didn't know what he had

Pretty much with this bike you have the title of the road version and the awesome suspension and carb of the off road version

I asked if it could handle a long trip like to Mexico/Central America or something crazy (as I have been kicking this idea around)

I took it on the tat to Oklahoma and back no problems "

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Don't waste his time asking general questions like whether it can be taken on a long trip or if it has damage. The price may be a little high for Asheville, but it's a perfectly serviceable plated dirt bike or dual sport. As long as it runs and has been maintained (spare parts say yes), go for it. I'd say it's worth 900-1200, depending on whether you think the spares are of any value and if you trust the POs maintenance routine and mechanical skills.

The DR350 is a fine bike and is a previous-generation mid-range dual-sport. It's got more grunt than the 250s and will go 75 down the highway (6 speed) when motivated, but is lighter than the 650s and lacks the passing performance.

Main question for off-road enjoyment is whether it's ready to go with relatively fresh brakes, sprockets and o-ring chain ($100-150), and whether the suspension has been modified for a rider far outside of your weight class ($100-200 for revalve?).

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 27, 2011

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I bought it for 1200. I drove down there in my car just to look at it and had no way to drive it back to my house (over an hour away) but he delivered it so I was like, whatever I'm not going to haggle over 100 bucks, since I'd have to give someone at least 50 anyway to drive out there and get it plus waste more time. Dude was the man and let me ride it around a bit (although it was freezing). Met 3 different ADV members while buying it, apparently his entire neighborhood rides. Along with the bike I got an extra set of wheels, triple tree, forks, airbox, something else, stock tank, and he also has a dirt frame, more engine parts, a swingarm and I don't know what that he is going to drop off when he next comes to Raleigh.

Meeting the ADV riders was cool, they want me to ride with them once I get comfortable. At the last minute he remembered the tires are not-DOT legal so I guess I need to get some new ones for inspection, but I was going to get some more street friendly ones anyway to commute.

Just curious, do they usually look hard at the tires? I'd like to go ahead and pass inspection before messing with the tires if possible so I can go ahead and get my plate and everything. Guy said I could just razor of the "not" before not for highway use but I don't think I want to do that.

Anyways, I am super excited about this. Just gotta figure out a luggage solution for camping gear and crap like that

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Nice, ADV is good people. Just get the tires real muddy before inspection. :D

I like the Ortlieb throw-over saddlebags with a bit of welder's blanket under the exhaust side. Giant Loop is also good, although pricier.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Mulling it over...second opinions?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/2295533891.html

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Marv Hushman posted:

Mulling it over...second opinions?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/2295533891.html

Sounds like a scam. 1000 bucks is way too low for such a personal piece of art.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Plated XR250R in Central Cali, looks super clean, good deal at $2200 IMO:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673388

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
2200? That seems a little high to me, but maybe California has crazy prices like that. I get the feeling that central cali doesn't see the same inflation as say LA or something though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems high to me too, considering your slightly older 300 was up for sale for much less than that awhile ago, while being a nicer bike overall. Hell, I could have bought an similar year XT250 for 500$ with a current plate and reg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2297370942.html

what wacky hijinks are going on here?