Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiffness posted:

Ducati's generally come with incredibly nice controls, so heavy pulls aren't a problem, at least on their superbikes these days.

Yeah, the people who told me that were people with, or experience of, older Monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

It always seems like people either love the dry clutch or hate it. I love the sound it makes personally, although a lot of people always asked me about my old Ducati sounding like it was getting ready to grenade something in the engine.

S2R 1000 Open Dry Clutch

I'm getting a quote today to paint the swing arm to match the frame, and the wheels/some engine parts black. I'm also going to ceramic coat the exhaust and the quat-d black.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Finally got around to taking some decent pictures of my bike today after getting it appraised.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Fantastic. Especially in Candy Tangerine.

PokeJoe posted:

Finally got around to taking some decent pictures of my bike today after getting it appraised.

...And?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bucephalus posted:

...And?

$3,500. Bought it for $800 about a year ago. Put a lot of work and parts into it though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sweet! Congrats! :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PokeJoe posted:

$3,500. Bought it for $800 about a year ago. Put a lot of work and parts into it though.

You did a great job, she's a beauty.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My bike is a Suzuki VL250 a.k.a. Intruder 250 in the States, I'm not too sure. Will be keeping this until I get my full licence (restricted licence - can't ride anything over 250ccs) AND have enough money to upgrade to a newer bike.

Rode roughly one hour to get myself a milkshake. Yes, a milkshake. It was tasty!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A Duck! posted:

It always seems like people either love the dry clutch or hate it. I love the sound it makes personally, although a lot of people always asked me about my old Ducati sounding like it was getting ready to grenade something in the engine.

S2R 1000 Open Dry Clutch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYnAeKiTq4

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
Temperatures below 60 and a few clouds meant the Los Angeles roads were empty today.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Hahahah. Yeah, about like that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wilkenm posted:

Temperatures below 60 and a few clouds meant the Los Angeles roads were empty today.

below 60 and a few clouds? That's a nice day in Seattle this time of year, and your riders abandon the drat roads.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

wilkenm posted:

Where did you take this picture? I'm in the LA area and that looks like a nice ride.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
I took this ferocious little bastard for a ride this afternoon:

First time I've been on a bike since getting rammed off the road a couple of weeks ago, and I'd forgotten how absolutely hilarious to ride it is. 13HP and eight whole foot-pounds of torque don't really make for thrilling acceleration, but you can do 10,000 RPM takeoffs and it's light enough that there's no reason to actually slow down for turns.

Plus, I can shift gears without aggravating my broken toes too much, which means I can ride to work again!

arena
Nov 10, 2006
ooar
After a never ending list of issues with my Yamaha SR125, I replaced it with this baby

YZF R-125. Fast little bugger for a 125

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Please stop doing that :(

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Probably Hates You posted:

Where did you take this picture? I'm in the LA area and that looks like a nice ride.

This was about halfway up Big Tujunga Canyon Road, which connects to the Angeles Crest Highway.

Here's the specific location: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...ee81e1c834c51e9

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Oh, that looks nice. I've been meaning to take that for a while but I've never gotten around to it because Angeles Crest is closed. I figured Big Tujunga would be pretty dangerous around the same time AC is closed. How was it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Put 550mi on it today, I need to do something about the M4 GP, I still have a headache after being home for 6 hours. :(

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

BlackMK4 posted:

drat I really need to get out of NJ.

Why not earplugs? I have these in my wish list from the bike gear thread.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Probably Hates You posted:

Oh, that looks nice. I've been meaning to take that for a while but I've never gotten around to it because Angeles Crest is closed. I figured Big Tujunga would be pretty dangerous around the same time AC is closed. How was it?

Well, after this weekend's rain, Big Tujunga is closed due to flooding and a few mud slides. It should be cleared out enough to drive in a couple days, but give it a few more weeks for the dried mud to be worn off the road.

It's a fun ride, nothing to challenging (which I like since I'm a slow poke). There's also been a real life flowing river, which is a fairly uncommon site in the LA area. My only complaint would be that it's pretty short, about 10 miles from the start to where it joins with the AC.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

wilkenm posted:

Well, after this weekend's rain, Big Tujunga is closed due to flooding and a few mud slides. It should be cleared out enough to drive in a couple days, but give it a few more weeks for the dried mud to be worn off the road.

It's a fun ride, nothing to challenging (which I like since I'm a slow poke). There's also been a real life flowing river, which is a fairly uncommon site in the LA area. My only complaint would be that it's pretty short, about 10 miles from the start to where it joins with the AC.

Actually, Big Tujunga dumps you out onto Angeles Forest Highway, not Angeles Crest Highway, but that's just nitpicking. Of the Angeles Forest roads, its my second-favorite behind Little Tujunga. That one is nice and long and is sparsely traveled, compared to the Angeles Crest stuff anyway.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Bought this off of Napkins on Saturday:
(click for big)

Paid $1100. She's an 89, and I'm so glad to be back on the road, you have no idea.

Thanks, Napkins! Not only do you keep my face free of BBQ sauce, but you sell me a decent bike at a good price as well!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Gnaghi posted:

drat I really need to get out of NJ.

Why not earplugs? I have these in my wish list from the bike gear thread.
While I'm sure those are nice, would they really be that much better than the 20ct for $3.99 at your local CVS/Rite-Aid/Brooks/etc?

Actually it appears they block 3 more db than the cheapo foam ones CVS has as their house brand.

House ($1.79 for 10pair): http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=694929&productId=694929&navAction=jump&navCount=3

Howard Leight ($4.99 for 10pair): http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=456917&productId=456917&navAction=jump&navCount=3

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Put 550mi on it today, I need to do something about the M4 GP, I still have a headache after being home for 6 hours. :(

Best headphones ever.

Can do >450mi days without my ears bothering me at all with these in

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

redscare posted:

Actually, Big Tujunga dumps you out onto Angeles Forest Highway, not Angeles Crest Highway, but that's just nitpicking. Of the Angeles Forest roads, its my second-favorite behind Little Tujunga. That one is nice and long and is sparsely traveled, compared to the Angeles Crest stuff anyway.

After 5 years of having these roads almost in my backyard, I really should know which one is which. I've developed the bad habit of referring to pretty much every road up there as "The Crest".

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

NipplesTheCat posted:

Best headphones ever.

Can do >450mi days without my ears bothering me at all with these in

How's the hearing with them in during traffic? I've been thinking about one of those J&M Bluetooth helmet kits, but I really don't like the receiver hanging off the side of the helmet. Running a cord down into my jacket isn't that bad for ear buds I guess.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

A Duck! posted:

How's the hearing with them in during traffic? I've been thinking about one of those J&M Bluetooth helmet kits, but I really don't like the receiver hanging off the side of the helmet. Running a cord down into my jacket isn't that bad for ear buds I guess.

I have a wireless controller for my iPod that I got for like $15. Pretty nice for turning the music down in traffic - and I already have those Etymotics :(

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

A Duck! posted:

I've got a GSMX1 Chatterbox and a set of earbuds. Honestly, I only take the chatterbox out on group rides and leave it off the rest of the time. The er-6i's are great overall, though you won't hear anything in traffic if you've got the volume on at all. Your mileage may vary, but I don't really see a need for hearing in traffic. I've never run into an instance where if only I could have heard the car, I'd have been safe.

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a wireless controller for my iPod that I got for like $15. Pretty nice for turning the music down in traffic - and I already have those Etymotics :(

Oh drat. Did you try switching to a different tip? Might make a world of difference.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Ah, thanks. I think I'll look for a pair then. Maybe with one of those Sony bluetooth receivers.

I'm just paranoid about canceling out all sound after having some timing belt trouble on my old bike, and dealing with soccer moms in giant SUVs here in San DIego.

Napkins
Apr 9, 2009

Dschingis Khan posted:

Bought this off of Napkins on Saturday:

Paid $1100. She's an 89, and I'm so glad to be back on the road, you have no idea.

Thanks, Napkins! Not only do you keep my face free of BBQ sauce, but you sell me a decent bike at a good price as well!

Glad you're happy with it!

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

A Duck! posted:

Ah, thanks. I think I'll look for a pair then. Maybe with one of those Sony bluetooth receivers.

I'm just paranoid about canceling out all sound after having some timing belt trouble on my old bike, and dealing with soccer moms in giant SUVs here in San DIego.

I've always been scared of not being able to hear anything too, but I've wanted to listen to music while I ride. I guess I'll just have to try it.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Unfortunately, Etymotic discontinued the best tips, which were the tan (I think?) expanding foam tips, which really blocked the most sound. The dark expanding foam ones they replaced them with suck balls, lower density foam, etc.

A Duck! posted:

Depends on the tips (I have the same ones), but if the music is off, you can hear well enough. If the music is on, not so much.. but I end up using my mirrors more. Realistically, for me, depending on the bike/your helmet, you can't hear anything at speed anyways. I keep my phone in the front pocket in my jacket, so I can usually find A volume switch.. though sometimes it's only the 'up' button, which sucks.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Fantastipotamus posted:

Unfortunately, Etymotic discontinued the best tips, which were the tan (I think?) expanding foam tips, which really blocked the most sound. The dark expanding foam ones they replaced them with suck balls, lower density foam, etc.

This site has a huge range of foam replacement tips for various ear buds. I have a set on my Hifiman RE2s (the best earbuds money can buy under $100, IMO), and they're both very comfortable and block out just as much sound as foam earplugs.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

AncientTV posted:

This site has a huge range of foam replacement tips for various ear buds. I have a set on my Hifiman RE2s (the best earbuds money can buy under $100, IMO), and they're both very comfortable and block out just as much sound as foam earplugs.
Hmmmm.... those do look like the same good foam the original plugs used. Thanks a lot, I've been stretching my last pair for all they're worth.

edit: actually, it doesn't look like they have replacements for the ER-6i. :(

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 23, 2011

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

AncientTV posted:

Highly recommend the Comply tips to anyone. I have been using a set on my Jays D-Jays for a couple years now and they are great. Much better quality than the foam tips that come with the Etymotics.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've been using the same trick for two years now. Take regular foam plugs, cut a bit off each end, poke a hole through it and place it over the earbud. Sits solidly, cuts a great amount of noise, improves audio over stock rubber tips and is cheap as hell.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Ola posted:

I've been using the same trick for two years now. Take regular foam plugs, cut a bit off each end, poke a hole through it and place it over the earbud. Sits solidly, cuts a great amount of noise, improves audio over stock rubber tips and is cheap as hell.

Would you mind posting a picture? I've never had any success pulling this off. I must be retarded or something.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Don't have any pics or plugs at hand. It is a bit tricky because the foam is so elastic. What I use is the pliers and the leather needle from a multitool. Snip off about 1/4 off the thin side and if needed a bit off the thick side. Then I thread it onto the needle to make a hole through it.

Once that is done it is well squished together and it takes some time before it expands into shape. While it's flat it's easier to get it onto the plug, just stretch it with the leather needle (or whatever sharp implement you have), put it over the plug and give it a few mins to expand into shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JudgeDoom
Feb 16, 2004

read my scripture

My bike somewhere in Cali's central coastal roads
2001 M750