Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010

fishmech posted:

My grandmother has 50 meg down and up FIOS in North Jersey.

a lot of places in japan have gigabit up/down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
Do I need to give my landlord a 30-day notice if there's no contract or lease? There's a nicer apartment coming up for rent at the start of April and if my wife and I pack up quickly we might be able to move out by the 1st.

Since it's such short notice my landlord might be pissed but I don't think there's any legal action he can take, right?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

teamgod posted:

Do I need to give my landlord a 30-day notice if there's no contract or lease? There's a nicer apartment coming up for rent at the start of April and if my wife and I pack up quickly we might be able to move out by the 1st.

Since it's such short notice my landlord might be pissed but I don't think there's any legal action he can take, right?

Probably not, but I wouldn't tell him until you've got a lease signed for the new apartment. It is a dick move, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Saphire_flames posted:

a lot of places in japan have gigabit up/down.

You can get that in any major US city and most outlying areas.

It does cost though.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I have a first date coming up this week. I just don't know where we're going to go and what we're going to do.

She is very environmentally friendly, so it's hard to find restaurants that don't serve slaughtered or over-fished animals. I want something where we can talk one-on-one, but not something that's too romantic. I was thinking something like an Indian restaurant, Mediterranean restaurant, or Italian restaurant, some place that has a lot of vegetarian meals.

The date is during the week, so staying out too late isn't an option, but I'd like to do something fun afterwards anyway. I don't think I want to see a movie, that's not very personal.

I don't have an issue with conversation or being humorous, it's just the "what are we doing" and "where are we eating" things that I don't do very well.

I have the later dates (if it goes well) kind of planned out, those aren't the problem. I always have an issue with the first date (especially since I haven't "dated" in a long time). It doesn't feel like I should buy flowers... but should I?

Help a brotha out! I'm in the Kansas City area, if that helps.

Should this be a separate "General Dating Tips" thread?

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 21, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ask in E/N or in the LAN thread for your region.

Don't bring flowers to a first date, especially if you want to be "not too romantic".

e: "General dating tips" threads are discouraged on SA because they inevitably lead to creepy PUA poo poo.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 21, 2011

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Just take her to an Asian or African restaurant and imply that she's racist if she has a problem with how the food is prepared. Or just take her to a vegetarian restaurant.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Tapas

do tapas

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Just ask her if she has a place in mind, since you're not familiar with decent dining options for her.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

McGiygas posted:

I remember talking in my ceramics class about vintage red Fiesta ware (the ones with the uranium oxide glaze) and the teacher mentioned that some university had a display of the red Fiesta ware. Which university is it and are there any pictures or videos of it?

Google "site:edu red fiestaware" or "site:edu radioactive fiestaware" (since some schools call it orange) - lots of different schools have info on it, most with pictures.

Georgia State has the most information so maybe that's the one? There's also this page which seems to be associated with a museum, but it's not strictly speaking a university museum.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

How do I change my windows 7 localization settings, my millions of itunes updates are all in japanese and whatever I did only effects program installations

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

Computer viruses are a very good analogy. Just sitting on a disk or in a computer that's off or the wrong kind they do nothing. They require something else and it's abilities to replicate or do anything.

I guess this is a good way to put it. Thanks for the microbiology lesson folks!

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

This is a bit of an odd question and I'm not sure where to really ask it, but does anyone know a good place to get A0 poster frames in the UK? All the websites I've seen have names like frames4u which doesn't particularly inspire confidence in their product.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

teamgod posted:

Were you ever on a lease with your current landlord? If so, it's likely that both you and he have notice periods.

I live in Australia so it's probably a bit different here, but I am not on a lease with my landlord anymore, however if he wants to kick us out to put the house on the market he has to give us 2 months' notice, if he wants to kick us out to move into the house himself he has to give us 4 month's notice. If we want to move out we have to give him at least 30 days notice.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Mak0rz posted:

On this: Why exactly aren't viruses considered living things? I'm a biologist and I've never even heard a good reason for this. The only thing close to a justification I've heard was that viruses don't contain a functional cell.

But why should we define life as the presence of a functional cell when viruses have working, replicating RNA? Why can't the presence of replicating nucleic acids be the definition of life?

I have no idea. I'm not smart enough or knowledgeable enough on the subject to engage in that debate. What's weird is you can't say, "they want to survive and reproduce" like all other living creatures. They don't want to survive, they just want to reproduce. They are unique in that aspect.

My question: I registered a domain name on godaddy.com but they're interface is complete poo poo and I have almost no control over the content. On top of that in order to add content other than text I have to pay even more money and more features. How can I switch registrars to another site like verio or whois or whatever? And if I do switch, what's a good site to switch to? (It's just a friend's band's website, nothing to serious.)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I just had a job interview today (office-type job), and one of the questions I was asked was "What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something which you knew was very much against company policy?" I refrained from the obvious goony answer of "joining in if it looks like fun" :black101: and replied that I would talk to them to see if they were aware of what they were doing, and then notify a manager if they persisted. Question: was that a decent answer? What are they looking for when they ask that?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I just had a job interview today (office-type job), and one of the questions I was asked was "What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something which you knew was very much against company policy?" I refrained from the obvious goony answer of "joining in if it looks like fun" :black101: and replied that I would talk to them to see if they were aware of what they were doing, and then notify a manager if they persisted. Question: was that a decent answer? What are they looking for when they ask that?

I've had job recruiters tell me that sometimes employers ask questions like this just to see how you answer it. They don't so much care about the actual answer you give, but they look to see if you get flustered or nervous. If you kept your cool when you answered, you probably did fine.

Flay Minion
Sep 23, 2004

hepme

Crows Turn Off posted:

Help a brotha out! I'm in the Kansas City area, if that helps.

Listen to some jazz on The Plaza.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

I don't have archives... I just searched back around 11 pages but couldn't find anything. Could someone direct me to a thread about working in the Alberta oil sands / working in Northern Alberta in general? I know I've seen threads about this and I really don't feel like posting another one if the info is already out there.

Thanks!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Which version of Apocalypse Now is preferred?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Redux

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm looking to lease a car that has a very short lease term. Preferably, 12 - 24 month terms. The shortest I have found is 27 months from BMW.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
If my twitter profile is protected, and I @ someone who I follow, but they don't follow me, can they see the tweet from me in their feed?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drimble Wedge posted:

I had a hiring manager ask that same question, and I gave that same answer. His immediate reply was, "We have HR to decide whether a worker gets a pass on violating company policy." He seemed a little flustered.

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!
Question about a movie I saw years ago.

I am trying to find the name of this movie, I have been thinking alot about it the past few weeks, but I only remember a few scenes from it and the general plot. Not enough to google it.

The movie is about a guy who dies, not sure how, and he goes to a heaven like place. But heaven it seems is kinda like earth, with its own bureacracy. And they have these trials with judges and advocates to decide who gets into heaven, if you fail the trial it seems you get reincarnated and get to live another life. This goes on untill you have lived a live good enough to get into heaven.

The guy meets a woman there, and they go to some kind of building where you can watch your previous lives on a kind of tv. The woman is looking at the TV where it shows that one of her past lives is as prince Valiant, or some other knightly figure.

She asks who the guy was in his previous live, he's looking at the screen which depicts an african tribal man running for his life from a lion. He simply says "lunch". It also shows a quick shot of a grandpa looking at his past life of small girl playing with dolls, he simply says something along the lines of "what the gently caress".

In another scene they are at a diner, they can eat whatever they want without putting on weight, the woman remarks that this is great. The guy sees something on the buffet that doesn't look like food. The "cook" says that this is for the people who have been here for a long time, and that he wouldn't enjoy it at this time.

His trial comes up to determine if he gets to stay in heaven or if he has to go back. The trial shows all the things he has ever done in his live. His lawyer points all the good things he had done and that he deserves to stay. The opposition highlights all the bad stuff and try's very hard for him to get rejected.

Those are all the scenes I remember. If I have to guess I would say it was a movie from the early 90's or late 80's.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MrDutch posted:

I am trying to find the name of this movie, I have been thinking alot about it the past few weeks, but I only remember a few scenes from it and the general plot. Not enough to google it.

The movie is about a guy who dies, not sure how, and he goes to a heaven like place. But heaven it seems is kinda like earth, with its own bureacracy. And they have these trials with judges and advocates to decide who gets into heaven, if you fail the trial it seems you get reincarnated and get to live another life. This goes on untill you have lived a live good enough to get into heaven.

The guy meets a woman there, and they go to some kind of building where you can watch your previous lives on a kind of tv. The woman is looking at the TV where it shows that one of her past lives is as prince Valiant, or some other knightly figure.

She asks who the guy was in his previous live, he's looking at the screen which depicts an african tribal man running for his life from a lion. He simply says "lunch". It also shows a quick shot of a grandpa looking at his past life of small girl playing with dolls, he simply says something along the lines of "what the gently caress".

In another scene they are at a diner, they can eat whatever they want without putting on weight, the woman remarks that this is great. The guy sees something on the buffet that doesn't look like food. The "cook" says that this is for the people who have been here for a long time, and that he wouldn't enjoy it at this time.

His trial comes up to determine if he gets to stay in heaven or if he has to go back. The trial shows all the things he has ever done in his live. His lawyer points all the good things he had done and that he deserves to stay. The opposition highlights all the bad stuff and try's very hard for him to get rejected.

Those are all the scenes I remember. If I have to guess I would say it was a movie from the early 90's or late 80's.

There's a whole thread for this, they are really good at it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2617448

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

MrDutch posted:

Defending Your Life

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I'm about to order some t-shirts from Threadless to the UK. If I tick "order as a gift", then

quote:

The billing information does not appear on the invoice included in the package when an order is being sent as a gift.

Does this mean I won't get stung with import VAT? If I order 3 t-shirts, that's $30 (excluding shipping costs) or just a little over £18 according to Google. Or should I play it safe and just order 2, where it'll be under £18 even with shipping costs.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Don't know how that affects VAT. It just means whoever receives the package won't see an invoice showing how much it cost. The same way you peel off price tags before giving someone a gift.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 22, 2011

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!
Thats it! Thank you john.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I'm about to order some t-shirts from Threadless to the UK. If I tick "order as a gift", then

Does this mean I won't get stung with import VAT? If I order 3 t-shirts, that's $30 (excluding shipping costs) or just a little over £18 according to Google. Or should I play it safe and just order 2, where it'll be under £18 even with shipping costs.

You will still pay VAT.

Threadless legally have to fill in the price on a separate declaration on the outside of the packet.

USPS Customs Declaration CN22 by D H Wright, on Flickr

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 22, 2011

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Do they have to put the shipping cost on though?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Do they have to put the shipping cost on though?

I don't believe shipping cost is included on customs declarations, at least not in the US.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Oh, apparently Import VAT only counts after the goods are over £18, then it takes into account the shipping costs. Seeing as I just got a $2 coupon, I guess I've dodged that bullet!

Thanks for your help anyway :)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I have my first salaried job, and I'm not entirely sure how it works. Do I have to account for every hour I'm not at work? I know we get a certain amount of PTO, but does that really apply to salarymen or is it just saying, "if you need to go over this ask us"? Because if I DO have to care about recording how much time I take off, and I can't get overtime, then what's the point?

I ask since I took off a few hours early to go to the doctor, and I was wondering if I was going to be shorted on my pay check this week because of it, and haven't gone back in to ask.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Golbez posted:

I have my first salaried job, and I'm not entirely sure how it works. Do I have to account for every hour I'm not at work? I know we get a certain amount of PTO, but does that really apply to salarymen or is it just saying, "if you need to go over this ask us"? Because if I DO have to care about recording how much time I take off, and I can't get overtime, then what's the point?

I ask since I took off a few hours early to go to the doctor, and I was wondering if I was going to be shorted on my pay check this week because of it, and haven't gone back in to ask.

Depends on your employer and state laws. Ask your coworkers what the general attitude of management/HR is.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Golbez posted:

Your manager may give you the time and expect you to make it up as unpaid "overtime," or you may have to take the time as holiday or sick leave, or yes, unpaid. Like kimbo said, its down to your employer / manager.

If you feel that their choice of reimbursment is penny-pinching, make sure to jott down any and all overtime you do for them and claim it back. Annecdotally, I only claim OT if there is a considerable ammount or the work I'm doing is tedious; I do the odd bit of OT here and there and not claim it because I know my manager has a positive attitude to me taking half days when I need them as a result.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Liface posted:

If my twitter profile is protected, and I @ someone who I follow, but they don't follow me, can they see the tweet from me in their feed?

No, they can't. Twitter is dumb like that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Power of Pecota posted:

Is there some way to sort all of your favorites on stumbleupon by most views or something other than the default "reverse order they were added"? I know you can sort by individual category, but I don't know how to do anything else.

Anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm trying to remember where I heard this but I think it was in a movie. A guy asks his friends if a female alien would visit the earth, would they have sex with her because it would end up be the best ever or something like that. After they all say yes, someone said no because everytime after that it wouldn't be as good as that one time. I thought it was City Slickers but subzin.com says no.