Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragon's-Maw
Jul 31, 2003
I be here.
Also on Teksavvy's 5MB DSL though on Dry Loop in Burnaby. Haven't had too many problems. Occasional slowdowns when I'm streaming LP's on YouTube/Viddler/Blip but nothing a little pause and buffer can't fix. It's annoying sometimes but not a showstopper by any means.

I really should call in and switch to the unlimited package while it's still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dragon's-Maw posted:

Also on Teksavvy's 5MB DSL though on Dry Loop in Burnaby. Haven't had too many problems. Occasional slowdowns when I'm streaming LP's on YouTube/Viddler/Blip but nothing a little pause and buffer can't fix. It's annoying sometimes but not a showstopper by any means.

I'm on Telus Optik Turbo and occasionally I still have to buffer when watching HD on Youtube. Speeds are fine at the same time to any other site, so I think it's more an issue on Youtube's end rather than Teksavvy/Telus.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

less than three posted:

I'm on Telus Optik Turbo and occasionally I still have to buffer when watching HD on Youtube. Speeds are fine at the same time to any other site, so I think it's more an issue on Youtube's end rather than Teksavvy/Telus.

Well since its regional it might just one of the local mirrors.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
5mb Teksavvy in Montreal, no problems whatsoever.

My DNS is set to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. I found googles DNS to be quite bad around Montreal (404ing random websites/images and slow performance). This one I found searching for "teksavvy dns" and it's worked 100% perfectly.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sprawl posted:

Well since its regional it might just one of the local mirrors.

True. We'd be on the same local mirror too.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Dimentia posted:

I think there's a link to opt out of those when they show up, at least, that's how I got rid of them.

I noticed immediately after clicking that link and testing it again that it still hijacks you on DNS errors, but it just looks at your user-agent string and puts up a fake "can't find server page". So that wasn't really an improvement to me at all. Only a month until I cancel Rogers, as I'm just using them at college, so I'll just deal with it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't know if it's the issue, but I think youtube is just really crappy lately. I get all kinds of weird things happening, including a page will load partway and then jump to 'not found', youtube maintenance messages, empty pages, videos starting and never finishing, etc. This is over all three networks (Telus/Shaw/Bell) so I'm not sure the provider is the issue.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bell: UBB Accounts for Almost All Internet Revenue Gains

It's really about the congestion guys, seriously. :v:

quote:

our data revenue growth was 3.8% for our Residential Services business, particularly driven through an increase in Internet ARPU of 3.3%. And interesting, almost all that increase now coming from usage based billing as the demand for Internet use explodes through the use of video services, and we’re continuing to see an increase in the revenue per customer.

quote:

our residential services had an excellent revenue quarter from a data perspective, as well, with data revenue growth of 5%, driven principally by the bandwidth usage revenue being up 83% year-over-year.

quote:

as we see a growth in video usage on the internet, making sure we’re monetizing that for our shareholders through the bandwidth usage charges

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArpmbnxIQIQ

whiskas
May 30, 2005
It feels good knowing that I'm not giving those thieving fucks a single penny of my money.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've also been noticing the Youtube slowdowns, both at home and at work. I wonder if their regional centre needs an upgrade?

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Maybe they've started throttling Youtube because it uses too much bandwidth. Next they're going to lobby the CTRC to levy a fine them for being an unlicensed broadcaster in Canada.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I think it's just that a lot of CDNs are getting a bit overloaded, and that combined with DNS/geolocation problems (on teksavvy cable I often show up as being in florida) can mean that it chooses a faraway CDN.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
So with the election almost certain, are the CRTC going to be able to pass rules at the behest of their puppetmasters uncontested? I guess the election will be over before any actual regulation goes through, but now would be an excellent time to make this a voting issue. Lord knows the Liberals will be stuggling for traction.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~
Vaguely Relevant, but it'll be interesting what (if any) affect this has on Shaw's plans for UBB, since it's a pretty big shakeup:

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/03/23/shaw-cuts-500-jobs/

quote:

Four months after Bradley Shaw assumed the corner office at Shaw Communications Inc., the firm is slashing nearly 4% of its nationwide workforce, a move seen as the first decisive mark made by the new chief executive.

The cuts, numbering roughly 500 in all, arrive at a crucial time for both Mr. Shaw, the son of company founder JR, and the Western Canada cable giant.

Calgary-based Shaw faces increasing pressure on margins and growth in its traditional television, Internet and digital home-phone businesses. Of equal importance, the company needs ample capital to erect a new wireless network analysts say sits at the centre of Shaw’s future profit prospects.

“There’s tough decisions that have to be made when you’re in a competitive environment,” Peter Bissonnette, president and a veteran member of Shaw’s senior management team, said Wednesday. “We’ve been looking at our margins and our overall business, and we said, ‘Let’s look at this with a really scrupulous eye.’ ”

Notices went out to roughly 150 managers, including vice-presidents of certain operations, and another 350 call-centre support and warehouse employees Wednesday notifying them of their termination.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm probably gonna get Teksavvy's dry-loop DSL set up in my new condo when I move in a few weeks. $10.22 is the band rate for my area, so $56.69 all in for the unlimited bandwidth package.

What sucks though, is that I'll have to take a goddamn day off work to meet the Bell technician at my place, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.

Oh well, I see no other options for internet around here (Cambridge, ON) - screw Bell, screw Rogers, Yak isn't in my area and I've heard terrible things about Acanac

Regarding modems, will the TP-Link TD-8816 work just fine? They're like $25 and Teksavvy wants $75 for the Speedtouch 516.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm probably gonna get Teksavvy's dry-loop DSL set up in my new condo when I move in a few weeks. $10.22 is the band rate for my area, so $56.69 all in for the unlimited bandwidth package.

What sucks though, is that I'll have to take a goddamn day off work to meet the Bell technician at my place, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.

Oh well, I see no other options for internet around here (Cambridge, ON) - screw Bell, screw Rogers, Yak isn't in my area and I've heard terrible things about Acanac

Regarding modems, will the TP-Link TD-8816 work just fine? They're like $25 and Teksavvy wants $75 for the Speedtouch 516.

Doesn't look like it they only have the 3 modems on their page and they wont likely support others but it looks like the support a lot of different kinds of cable modems.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

VERTiG0 posted:

Is this a new condo? If so, don't expect Bell to show up. I bought a house (in Cambridge even!) and the previous owner had DSL so Bell didn't do poo poo since service was already hooked up. I did have to contact TS support and have them update my profile to 5Mbs.

When I lived in Paris, ON I had a new house and Bell just came out to do something to the demarcation point. They never rang the bell or came inside.

Someone else confirm this but unless they have to run phone wiring into your house, they are not going to do anything that will require you to be home. Unless your phone box is somewhere you have to give them access.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sprawl posted:

Doesn't look like it they only have the 3 modems on their page and they wont likely support others but it looks like the support a lot of different kinds of cable modems.

I used the TP-LINK TD88-16 for their DSL in BC, and it worked just fine. Maybe do a search of their forum on dslreports.com

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Well, I called Teksavvy and they said that any ADSL2/2+ modem will work just fine. TD-8816 here I come.

Bonzo, it's not a NEW condo, but it's only 3 years old. It'd be amazing if they just had to do some crap to a box somewhere outside and be done with it. I'd hate to have to waste a day waiting around for some dipshit in a van to do 2 minutes of work and leave.

Thanks guys.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

VERTiG0 posted:

Well, I called Teksavvy and they said that any ADSL2/2+ modem will work just fine. TD-8816 here I come.

Bonzo, it's not a NEW condo, but it's only 3 years old. It'd be amazing if they just had to do some crap to a box somewhere outside and be done with it. I'd hate to have to waste a day waiting around for some dipshit in a van to do 2 minutes of work and leave.

Thanks guys.

Again, I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure Bell is just going to "flip a switch" on the outside box. When they did it for me they just quietly slipped a work order between my front doors and I had idea they had been there.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Again, I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure Bell is just going to "flip a switch" on the outside box. When they did it for me they just quietly slipped a work order between my front doors and I had idea they had been there.

They came twice for me. Took 2 weeks to get phone set up, and another week for DSL.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I just saw this right now on reddit:
http://thenextweb.com/ca/2011/03/26/rogers-admits-to-slowing-down-world-of-warcraft-in-canada/

Basically, it seems that they are inspecting the packets and they throttle WoW itself.
I experienced really bad lag in the last few weeks, i always thought it was Blizzard's fault. Is this true? Does anyone know more about this?
I'm going to call them, but right now i'm so furious i'm afraid i'll say things i will regret.

I skimmed over the last few pages and haven't found anything related to this, sorry if it's a double post.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What a loving joke.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I wonder if that affects people using ISPs that are using their lines.

I generally don't play multiplayer games for a variety of reasons, but I love Altitude, and it's become borderline-unplayable since switching to TekSavvy Cable from DSL. General downloading and surfing is blazing fast. Vimeo and YouTube still suck poo poo as mentioned earlier. I still think it's a Rogers thing though I have no proof.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I couldn't resist and i called them. And the guy said that he has no information about this, i read to him from the article and he didn't denied it.
Of course, when i asked why?: well, we want to protect you from viruses. Yes, that is right, World of Warcraft is now a virus.

And yes, loving government doesnt put this technology in the same pool with other illegal activities such as intercepting phone calls, so they can basically do whatever they want.

I feel like i'm exploding right now.
And all they have to say is :"sorry that i'm treating you like a criminal, even though we have no proof of yo doing anything wrong".

I am not using bit-torrent, WoW is the only thing that is on my computer.
So yea, gently caress Rogers, gently caress them to pieces.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

rhag posted:

I am not using bit-torrent, WoW is the only thing that is on my computer.
So yea, gently caress Rogers, gently caress them to pieces.

Well, WoW does use Bittorrent to distribute their patches. Not that that excuses Rogers from just packet-shaping everything.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Is WoW a big enough thing in Canada for this to effectively empty Roger's user base?

I know that even the big guys down in the States would get crucified for doing that to someone's crack coca--I mean WoW. A small ISP would probably not survive.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Arsten posted:

Is WoW a big enough thing in Canada for this to effectively empty Roger's user base?

I know that even the big guys down in the States would get crucified for doing that to someone's crack coca--I mean WoW. A small ISP would probably not survive.

Not even a chance. Moreover, I would go so far as to guess that 98% of the people affected wouldn't know what to do about it, like moving to TekSavvy if they have that option.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
From the sounds of that they say the solution is to turn off "peer to peer" in the options which to me indicates they are just throttling bit torrent not game itself. Any actual game lag would be just rogers being lovely I assume.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Squibbles posted:

From the sounds of that they say the solution is to turn off "peer to peer" in the options which to me indicates they are just throttling bit torrent not game itself. Any actual game lag would be just rogers being lovely I assume.

It actually sounds to me like they break the overall connection the minute they detect P2P activity.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The problem is that there is no distinction between "good" P2P and "bad" P2P. If you're just breaking apps because they use bittorrent then I can't believe anyone would think that was a legitimate excuse for Rogers to use. Not that I'm suggestion anyone here is saying that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Squibbles posted:

Yes, that seems to solve the problem. The thing is...one shouldn't have to do that. And yes, they just kill connections indiscriminately once you have too many (where "too many" is defined as whatever a Rogers monkey thought at).
The simple fact that they are looking at my packets is a lovely behaviour. While I'm sure it's legal, it shouldn't be. It should be right there with a phone company listening to phone calls without a warrant. The fact that they are using a program to do this shouldn't change the problem.
But...i guess they bought enough politicians to actually make it legal (since it cant really be explained in any other manner, just like UBB).

And moving to another ISP ... what will that change? TekSavvy goes through Bell with their DSL. Other ISPs that use cable go through Rogers.
These 2 are the big players in Ontario, and apparently nothing can change that.

With new elections coming, one can only hope that at least the politicians who are running for office will promise to do something about this situation. Not that promises are ever kept, but hey...it's the best we got.

What can be done? The simplest thing would be to allow foreign competition in Canada. The best thing would be for the government to build the infrastructure, and rent it to anyone and everyone, charging a fair price.
But, eh, we got planes to buy, and lobby money to pocket.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really hope the Stop The Meter guys raise their voice with the election looming. I mean in the grand scheme of things it would be pretty stupid to vote based solely on this issue, but they should take the opportunity to make it at least AN issue.

Maybe I don't mean the stop the meter people specifically. There should be a body that handles the whole "our internet sucks dick" issue, not just UBB.

Eugenic
Apr 14, 2005
DRINK! FECK! ARSE! GIRLS!
The thing I hate most about all of this with the horrible Government Bureau CRTC conniving with the big business ISPs is when the people in power finally heard our complaints and said they would look into it... well guess who they assigned to look into it? Naturally the Gov apparatus that is assigned to internet and telecommunications: the CRTC. UGH!!!!!!!!!

At this point I would take a dictatorship over this incestuous bureaucratic orgy. Instead of bread and circuses, just give me unlimited Internet and 4G wireless. Too bad a Caesar will never be born in Canada.

Eugenic fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 27, 2011

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

New email from Netflix tonight:

quote:

Dear Viktor,

Starting today, watching movies & TV shows in Canada will use 2/3 less data on average with minimal impact to video quality. For example, watching 30 hours of Netflix movies & TV shows will only use 9 GB of data, well below most Canadian ISP data caps. Previously, 30 hours from Netflix typically used 31 GB.

Why the change? We know that many of our Canadian members have monthly Internet data caps. This new default account setting will significantly reduce the amount of data Netflix delivers to you each month.

You now also have the ability to manage how much data Netflix delivers to you. Visit Your Account to adjust your settings anytime you want. Regardless of which setting you choose –– Netflix is still only $7.99 a month.

As always, we will continue to innovate and try new things to ensure Netflix is a great experience without high data use. If you have any questions, please call us at 1-866-923-1277.

–Your friends at Netflix

By default they have lowered the quality to non HD by default but you can crank it back up.

See the page http://ca.netflix.com/HdToggle while logged in.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Well, I guess Netflix has been reduced to Paid Youtube in Canada.

Seriously, right now I'd vote for Bev Oda if she had a platform of forcibly inserting Bell's CEO into Rogers' CEO.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://openmedia.ca/news/bell-backs-down-internet-becomes-election-issue

quote:

OpenMedia.ca has learned that Bell has buckled under public pressure and will propose an alternative scheme for the imposition of usage fees on independent ISPs. Bell is expected to come out with its plan this afternoon: today is the filing deadline for the first round of submissions to the CRTC's usage-based billing (UBB) hearing.

Backing down or laying low?

Dan LeDouche
Apr 28, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Powershift posted:

http://openmedia.ca/news/bell-backs-down-internet-becomes-election-issue

Backing down or laying low?

You have to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't wait to hear the new and improved suggestions they have for fighting my "unfair" bandwidth usage of a family of four on a 60gb cap.