Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Nigulus Rex posted:

I read a book in middle school about kids escaping from some weird dystopian world where there were these "overlords" who I want to say were different colors (like one wore red, one green, etc) and they had wars with each other all the time just because. I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

The book you're thinking of is Shade's Children and it is written by Garth Nix.

Here's a request of mine.

I read this book about four years back, but I never finished it. I know it's part of a series. It's a fantasy book, and it's about this guy who becomes the greatest swordsman in the world. He has some magic power that means he can't be defeated in battle, but the cost of that power is that he has to practice swordsmanship two hours a day, every day, no matter what. There's a group of people with similar powers, although in different domains. The only one I remember is that there's one guy who's a historian, and he never forgets anything except things which aren't true. The cost of his power is that he has to learn something new every day.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I read a book, probably a young adult one, that had a dystopian future where everyone had awesome computer and internet stuff in their brains, but because of being so reliant on it everyone was incredibly stupid and dependent on looking up info on everything. Also lots of "the corporations run everything and want all of the money" overtones.
A few scenes that I can still recall are a bunch of kids looking for viruses to download into their brains, a mentioning that the USA is pretty much kept in solitude by the rest of the world and that clouds (the word and the concept) were trademarked.

Really wish I could recall the title of it.

Hitlazers
Apr 20, 2006
A British kids book where primary school boys discover that the girls are part of a secret army, and they have guns that fire tranquilliser darts. There's a big organisation called NOSTRO or something similar that one of the sides is part of. The girls' base is below ground level. It turns out the girls are brainwashed I think. There's a pivotal scene towards the end where one of the boys is going to be put on a stage and interrogated or humiliated or something in front the the girls. I distinctly remember several parts where a helicopter flies over the school and all the boys wonder what it is.

Anyone know what this is? I loved it as a kid but can't find it now. I could have sworn it was called The Secret Army but Google doesn't agree.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I read a children's novel when I was in middle school in the early 1990s.

It was set at a beach and about a girl who met a mermaid, or possibly just another "girl" that lived in the sea.

The mermaid could not speak, she may even have had no tongue. She communicated under the water using bubbles.

I seem to remember the cover/illustrations for the book being very delicate, loose line artwork.

It also feels like it was a somewhat bleak or depressing story.

angelofdeath0430
Sep 21, 2008

I read this book back in middle school and I only remember about the first 10% of the plot.

It was set either in future dystopian Earth or a dystopian planet, most of the people were slaves who lived in tents. These slaves worked in a gigantic mine, mining some sort of crystal (it might have been a fuel source) all day, and had to meet a certain quota or face being worked to death.

The protagonist was a girl, who turns 16 in the novel, I specifically remember her having to work at the mine on her birthday, and refusing to fill her quota. She runs away from the village at night. After this, I cant remember what happened. I believe she gained or developed a magic power at some point.

The cover had a chick wearing a purple/black robe, and I believe she had blonde hair.

I really want to read this again so any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

angelofdeath0430 posted:

I read this book back in middle school and I only remember about the first 10% of the plot.

It was set either in future dystopian Earth or a dystopian planet, most of the people were slaves who lived in tents. These slaves worked in a gigantic mine, mining some sort of crystal (it might have been a fuel source) all day, and had to meet a certain quota or face being worked to death.

The protagonist was a girl, who turns 16 in the novel, I specifically remember her having to work at the mine on her birthday, and refusing to fill her quota. She runs away from the village at night. After this, I cant remember what happened. I believe she gained or developed a magic power at some point.

The cover had a chick wearing a purple/black robe, and I believe she had blonde hair.

I really want to read this again so any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Winter of Fire, by Sheryl Jordan?

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Jin Wicked posted:

I read a children's novel when I was in middle school in the early 1990s.

It was set at a beach and about a girl who met a mermaid, or possibly just another "girl" that lived in the sea.

The mermaid could not speak, she may even have had no tongue. She communicated under the water using bubbles.

I seem to remember the cover/illustrations for the book being very delicate, loose line artwork.

It also feels like it was a somewhat bleak or depressing story.
The Mermaid's Three Wisdoms, by Jane Yolen.

angelofdeath0430
Sep 21, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

Winter of Fire, by Sheryl Jordan?

Thank you so much, thats it! :dance:

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

pandabear posted:

The Mermaid's Three Wisdoms, by Jane Yolen.

Thank you so much!

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Looking for a sci-fi book of some sort- found it in my library's new paperbacks section sometime between 2000 and 2004 I think (though I could be wrong). It was about a guy with a suit of armor of some sort that was a possibly-intelligent symbiotic thing. There may have been some psychological issues involved, and I think the armor may have needed to feed off the guy in some way in order to keep living/working properly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zeth posted:

Looking for a sci-fi book of some sort- found it in my library's new paperbacks section sometime between 2000 and 2004 I think (though I could be wrong). It was about a guy with a suit of armor of some sort that was a possibly-intelligent symbiotic thing. There may have been some psychological issues involved, and I think the armor may have needed to feed off the guy in some way in order to keep living/working properly.

Was it a situation where the main character had deliberate self-inflicted amnesia & had locked away his memories in a "lockbox" sorta thing, which he could choose to break if he wanted, but Bad Stuff might happen? If so, could've been the Golden Age series by John C. Wright -- Golden Age , The Phoenix Exultant, The Golden Transcendence. They date to about 2002-2004.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
No, it wasn't. I also almost want to say that the armor symbiote creature was a character in its own right but I'm really not sure.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Zeth posted:

Was it armor by John Steakley (spelling? ) it has those things but only in a metaphorical sense.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
No. That book being mentioned in the Fantasy Book Cover Art thread in GBS is actually what reminded me of it- I thought that might be it, but it turned out to be something different.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I have two books I remember vague plot details of but not the names. First one I think is relatively well-known (but I remember less of it), the second one is most likely incredibly obscure.

1) At one point the protagonists travel through some forest and one of them gets infested by a sentient fungus of some sort. It helps him at first but eventually they start fighting for control.

2) I swear this was a legit scifi book I read as a kid and not some strange fetish fantasy. (I didn't have Internet back then!)

It's about insectoid aliens and has very explicit descriptions of how they reproduce. One part has the protagonist alien looking as his genitals, which are on his back, and probably masturbating, and it's mentioned this is very taboo in alien spiderland. He gets crushed by something later on and that's pretty vividly described too.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zeth posted:

No, it wasn't. I also almost want to say that the armor symbiote creature was a character in its own right but I'm really not sure.

Probably this thing. Warning: terrible.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Yeah, that's it, I recognize the author now. Thanks. I don't remember it being especially awful (or especially good either, really) but then I have low standards when it comes to crummy sci-fi/fantasy novel tolerability.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Thoughtless posted:

2) I swear this was a legit scifi book I read as a kid and not some strange fetish fantasy. (I didn't have Internet back then!)

It's about insectoid aliens and has very explicit descriptions of how they reproduce. One part has the protagonist alien looking as his genitals, which are on his back, and probably masturbating, and it's mentioned this is very taboo in alien spiderland. He gets crushed by something later on and that's pretty vividly described too.
For some reason this makes me think of Alan Dean Foster. His Commonwealth series has an insectoid species called Thranx. Phylogenesis is the "first contact" novel so it has a lot of detail about thranx society etc. I'm pretty sure the main character is described as a pervert for some reason, and he dies at the end. It came out in about 2000 so it's maybe possible depending when you were a kid. Sorry I don't remember anything about thranx genitalia.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Thoughtless posted:

I have two books I remember vague plot details of but not the names. First one I think is relatively well-known (but I remember less of it), the second one is most likely incredibly obscure.

1) At one point the protagonists travel through some forest and one of them gets infested by a sentient fungus of some sort. It helps him at first but eventually they start fighting for control.
Could be Brian Aldiss' Hothouse (it's got another name in the US, I think, maybe Long Afternoon of Earth?)

It's set on an Earth that's stopped rotating; the sun-side's covered with a gigantic banyan tree and small green descendants of humans live in the treetops. The Moon's drifted out to an Earth-Sun Trojan point and is connected to the Earth by giant space spiderwebs spun by traversers. The hero gets landed on by a sentient morel fungus which basically uses him as a carrier (in both senses...).

It's insane and awesome.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Thoughtless posted:

Could Be "A Deepness in the Sky" by Vernor Vinge

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Looking for a book I read as a kid, it was an anthology/collection of scary short stories for kids but it WASN'T that Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark series that goons are obsessed with.

Particular ones I remember were:

• A girl is alone in her house at night and maybe there's a power outage or something but basically she can't see anything and she starts to think there's a snake in her bed.

• A kid is obsessed with some wooden thing, it was like a bannister decoration or a hat stand or something, but anyway they can't stop looking at it and thinking that it seems like a man, kind of anthropomorphic, with the knob on top being its head. Anyway they wake up one night and look out of their room to see the wooden thing climbing the stairs, slowly... It was loving scary when I was young.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

wheatpuppy posted:

For some reason this makes me think of Alan Dean Foster. His Commonwealth series has an insectoid species called Thranx. Phylogenesis is the "first contact" novel so it has a lot of detail about thranx society etc. I'm pretty sure the main character is described as a pervert for some reason, and he dies at the end. It came out in about 2000 so it's maybe possible depending when you were a kid. Sorry I don't remember anything about thranx genitalia.

This does seem like it might be it, though 2000 would be very late. I'll read it and see.

Engelbrecht posted:

Could be Brian Aldiss' Hothouse (it's got another name in the US, I think, maybe Long Afternoon of Earth?)

It's set on an Earth that's stopped rotating; the sun-side's covered with a gigantic banyan tree and small green descendants of humans live in the treetops. The Moon's drifted out to an Earth-Sun Trojan point and is connected to the Earth by giant space spiderwebs spun by traversers. The hero gets landed on by a sentient morel fungus which basically uses him as a carrier (in both senses...).

It's insane and awesome.

This is definitely the mushroom one, however! Thanks!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hedrigall posted:

• A kid is obsessed with some wooden thing, it was like a bannister decoration or a hat stand or something, but anyway they can't stop looking at it and thinking that it seems like a man, kind of anthropomorphic, with the knob on top being its head. Anyway they wake up one night and look out of their room to see the wooden thing climbing the stairs, slowly... It was loving scary when I was young.
That's definitely Nule by Jan Mark - it's in these anthologies for starters.

The snake story doesn't ring any bells and I'm a bit of a Mark nut, so it's probably not by the same author. I'll check out which of her collections it's in when I get home anyway, just in case.

Thoughtless posted:

This is definitely the mushroom one, however! Thanks!
Glad to help! I love Hothouse, it's one of the great loony SF books.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Engelbrecht posted:

That's definitely Nule by Jan Mark - it's in these anthologies for starters.

Yes yes yes! I had in my head that it was called something like "Noel" but googling that left me blank. Thanks!!

edit: and this is definitely the book my library had: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nothing-be-Afraid-Puffin-Books/dp/0140313923
So the snake story must have been in some other book I read around the same time.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 22, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Two sci-fi books I read when I was a kid and then they got ripped up and discarded by some family members due to Family Drama.

One was about how Earth was being deliberately kept in a state of political chaos and disorder as a "farming ground" for extra-terrestrial agents of some kind. Like, all the hardship of living on earth was being kept in place to raise a crop of "street tough' agents or something. The characters had been recruited from Earth to be part of this agency and were getting some kind of advanced mental training.

The second book was similar, earth was being kept in a state of political chaos and disorder as a virtual playground for alien voyeurs, who were essentially dialing into the viewpoints of various Earthlings so as to experience the horrors of Earthly existence vicariously.

They may have been by the same author; I think they were marketed as a pair but I can't clearly remember. Any ideas? This was back in the 80's so my memory's more than fuzzy. I haven't ever run across them since, so they may be a bit esoteric.

SO nobody has any idea on these ? =(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Last week I saw a book in Barnes & Noble about a black, former boxer, who is now a detective (in NYC I believe). The author is a black, friendly looking fellow. I have not the slightest idea what the title was or the author's name. It was on a "new titles for $6.99 and under" display and I didn't buy it... today I returned and it wasn't there and I've been kicking myself in the rear end since. The entire display was the same, except the book I was going to buy wasn't there. :(

Does anyone know what book I'm talking looking for?

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Last week I saw a book in Barnes & Noble about a black, former boxer, who is now a detective (in NYC I believe). The author is a black, friendly looking fellow. I have not the slightest idea what the title was or the author's name. It was on a "new titles for $6.99 and under" display and I didn't buy it... today I returned and it wasn't there and I've been kicking myself in the rear end since. The entire display was the same, except the book I was going to buy wasn't there. :(

While I don't know the story or author myself, have you tried asking one of the employees? They should have the necessary data to tell you, or at least remember the guy's name.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Wildtortilla posted:

Fiction? Sounds like it could be Walter Mosley.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
When I was in the seventh/eighth grade in school ('92-'93) we read a short story about the last Super Bowl. Basically in the future, futuristic TVs could simulate football so people lost interest in the real thing. The guy who scored the winning touchdown cried because no one cared.

I believe the story was called "The Last Super Bowl" but search engines aren't helping me. I would like to read it again now that we have a strike season and Madden games.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Eliza posted:

While I don't know the story or author myself, have you tried asking one of the employees? They should have the necessary data to tell you, or at least remember the guy's name.

The store was busy when I was there and I only had a few minutes, not long enough to wait around for someone to free up or I would have taken this approach.

Ballsworthy posted:

Fiction? Sounds like it could be Walter Mosley.

Yes! That's him! Thanks a ton!

The book I was looking at was The Long Fall.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 22, 2011

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hedrigall posted:

Yes yes yes! I had in my head that it was called something like "Noel" but googling that left me blank. Thanks!!

edit: and this is definitely the book my library had: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nothing-be-Afraid-Puffin-Books/dp/0140313923
So the snake story must have been in some other book I read around the same time.
Definitely no snake story in that, though the title story is one of my favourites ever. Terrifying small (and not-quite-as-small) relatives with ghastly stories was one of my favourite bits of being a child....

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well I just found out my uni's library has it so I'm going t go grab it today! :D

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I feel like I've posted something about this in this thread before, but I never got an answer so I'll try again.

Basically, it's a book/story I read when I was younger about a kid who used to walk by a timid classmate's house every day on the way to school. One day the timid kit's house catches on fire because he left the toaster oven plugged in. I'm pretty sure that the main kid goes back in time at some point during the novel, because at the end of the book he's returned to the present on the morning of the fire and warns the timid kid that he's left the toaster oven plugged in, so the house ends up not burning down.

I can't find anything about this online, but I'm sure that it's just because I'm not searching for the right thing. This has been driving me insane lately...can anybody help?

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

There's two books I read back in elementary (1999 or so), probably published in the late 90's

1) A story about aliens who abduct people to put on elaborate acrobatic shows. They make them super risky cause they basically feed off of the people's deaths. The protagonist was a girl who wasn't very athletic, who went along with her super athletic siblings and met the other abducted people in the circus who all spoke some weird hybrid-english. Thinking about it now, it wasn't so much abduction as it was some dude approaching them and being all 'Hey wanna come join this super cool show? We want you cause you guys have awesome potential!' and only bringing along the protagonist cause her siblings insisted.

2) This is vague as gently caress, especially with all the young fantasy novels out there, but anyway... a girl who secretly hatches 3 dragons, 2 boys and a girl I believe?? I THINK she then goes on the run to protect them, and makes friends with a boy who ends up betraying her and getting her girl dragon killed. I only remember this because I was so loving bummed the baby dragon died :(

If anyone can answer these I'd be eternally grateful. The first one is way more important to me, as I've been looking for it for years.

Party Spock
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody have a logical time

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I read a book, probably a young adult one, that had a dystopian future where everyone had awesome computer and internet stuff in their brains, but because of being so reliant on it everyone was incredibly stupid and dependent on looking up info on everything. Also lots of "the corporations run everything and want all of the money" overtones.
A few scenes that I can still recall are a bunch of kids looking for viruses to download into their brains, a mentioning that the USA is pretty much kept in solitude by the rest of the world and that clouds (the word and the concept) were trademarked.

Really wish I could recall the title of it.

I think this is Feed by M.T. Anderson.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

eumenidy posted:

I think this is Feed by M.T. Anderson.

YES! Thank you!

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Milli posted:

1) A story about aliens who abduct people to put on elaborate acrobatic shows. They make them super risky cause they basically feed off of the people's deaths. The protagonist was a girl who wasn't very athletic, who went along with her super athletic siblings and met the other abducted people in the circus who all spoke some weird hybrid-english. Thinking about it now, it wasn't so much abduction as it was some dude approaching them and being all 'Hey wanna come join this super cool show? We want you cause you guys have awesome potential!' and only bringing along the protagonist cause her siblings insisted.

I'm pretty sure this is Gillian Rubinstein's Galax Arena. I believe there was a sequel too, though I never read it.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Ok, here's one. In high school I borrowed a book from the library. It was a purple paperback. The story was about a girl who is kept in a locked room and sews these shoes (I think) and then she finds out the origins of fairy tales. I remember one as 'Cinder Ella'. The last few pages of the book were missing and I am curious about it now. Thanks :)

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

zedar posted:

I'm pretty sure this is Gillian Rubinstein's Galax Arena. I believe there was a sequel too, though I never read it.

Holy crap you are awesome, thank you! It seems I did remember some of the details wrong, but I need to go re-read this immediately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
This was a book I read while in junior high. It was about two brothers who discovered a room/shack with some type of time dilation field. When the door was closed, what seemed like minutes hours inside the room would actually be hours only minutes outside. It might have involved some kind of portal to another dimension, or perhaps that was a separate book by the same author. The younger of the two brothers eventually got tired of being constantly picked on/bossed around by the older brother so he locked himself in the room for days/weeks years although only days/weeks had passed in the outside world. Then he came out, flaunted his new ability to grow facial hair, and told his brother to gently caress off.

Edit: I am retarded and got it backwards.
Edit: Wow, I found it by browsing this thread. I recognized the name of an author someone else posted and sure enough, it is the same guy who wrote this. Thank, goons!

Singularity by William Sleator

Auriak fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 26, 2011