Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mannequin posted:

I've always been a fan of this guy's shots with that lens. Looks like a pretty sweet lens if you can find it, let alone afford it.

I guess if you really, really wanted that look and were willing to put in some extra work, you could get a medium format camera like a Mamiya 645 and a 150mm f/2.8 for a fraction of the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah or the 80mm f/1.9. I guarantee that practically nothing in the frame will be in focus.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
15 Thoughts on Composition by Alan Briot over at Luminous Landscape:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/composition_top_15.shtml

And 159 pics to shift through at The Photoletariat:
http://thephotoletariat.com/159-stunning-breathtaking-and-brilliant-photographs/

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 20, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-samurai posted:

Yeah or the 80mm f/1.9. I guarantee that practically nothing in the frame will be in focus.
Sounds like you've been there too.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Guys... I've made a huge mistake.

I've gone and started a (small) saltwater fishtank. Now, along with photography, I'll have to divide my money over two ridiculously expensive hobbies.

But, at least I'll get to shoot some cool photos of my tank, right? Nope - I didn't think about how horrible shooting through acrylic would be. I've tried a bit with my 100mm macro and unless you shoot directly perpendicular to the object, it gets all soft and full of CA. :(

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Gambl0r posted:

I've gone and started a (small) saltwater fishtank. Now, along with photography, I'll have to divide my money over two ridiculously expensive hobbies.

But, at least I'll get to shoot some cool photos of my tank, right? Nope - I didn't think about how horrible shooting through acrylic would be. I've tried a bit with my 100mm macro and unless you shoot directly perpendicular to the object, it gets all soft and full of CA. :(

Jesus why don't you get into making music while you are at it. :laugh:

I was looking at saltwater aquariums early this week myself but had a "wtf am I doing, I could be buying lenses with this money" moment and left the shop in a hurry. :3:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

HPL posted:

I guess if you really, really wanted that look and were willing to put in some extra work, you could get a medium format camera like a Mamiya 645 and a 150mm f/2.8 for a fraction of the price.
Alternatively you can do the Brenizer Method.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

keyframe posted:

I bought a condenser mic and mixer... I'm currently using an umbrella swivel on a light stand to hold the mic up.

psylent posted:

Alternatively you can do the Brenizer Method.

Though if you do that you don't get the proper "shape" of the bokeh. Those always look like photoshops, and they take so much effort...

dakana fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 20, 2011

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

keyframe posted:

I was looking at saltwater aquariums early this week myself but had a "wtf am I doing, I could be buying lenses with this money" moment and left the shop in a hurry. :3:

The moment when I realized what I've spent so far could have got me the used 5D (mk I) I've been wanting made me feel very :smithicide:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

:lol: It was hard enough with the 55 2.8, not sure how you are managing with the 1.9

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

:lol: It was hard enough with the 55 2.8, not sure how you are managing with the 1.9

Not well, I have a lot of negs with sharp noses and ears because someone moved. Mostly I bought the f/1.9 for low light not shallow depth of field.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

Not well, I have a lot of negs with sharp noses and ears because someone moved. Mostly I bought the f/1.9 for low light not shallow depth of field.

I want to see how far that will focus out on my Kiev 60 (6x6), might make an interesting portrait lens. Wish I knew someone around here with one I could try before I spend $300 :(

Gambl0r posted:

Might I suggest building something like this? My boss and I were trying to come up with a way to make aquariums more fruitful for photographic trips, he made this thing for a couple of bucks out of a dollar store bucket he cut down, a yogurt lid, some black spandex, velcro, and a broken 82mm filter he had laying around. It works really well for cutting out glare/reflections, last shot is one I took two Fridays ago with it and the Sigma 24-70.

The Turbohood. by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

The Turbohood. by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Richloam by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Mannequin posted:

I've always been a fan of this guy's shots with that lens. Looks like a pretty sweet lens if you can find it, let alone afford it.
What's so good about those? It looks like about 50% are just pics of his hot gf standing around in different places.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

spf3million posted:

What's so good about those?

Nothing.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
What is it with camera nerds and Asian girls?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

A lot of camera nerds are Asian.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
his user name is "mister bokeh". what did you expect?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

spf3million posted:

What's so good about those? It looks like about 50% are just pics of his hot gf standing around in different places.

:golfclap:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Maybe mister bokeh is some really prolific photographers prank on the art world.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

spf3million posted:

I think it was just that he has a subject in focus and shows the capabilities of the lens fairly well. Even if the photos aren't particularly inspired.

Gambl0r posted:

Polarizer may help - it helps shooting through glass at least. I have not tried shooting into an aquarium.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I havent had any problem shooting into a fish tank without a polarizer. It wasnt like the lighting was great either, most home tanks I have seen have better lighting than the vancouver aquarium.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Might I suggest building something like this?

That thing is awesome and I will try making something like that before my next trip to a real aquarium. I was recently at the one in Baltimore and it would have helped a lot. But, glare really isn't the problem I'm having at home (see below)

subx posted:

Polarizer may help - it helps shooting through glass at least. I have not tried shooting into an aquarium.

I tried my polarizer right away too, after I noticed the problems shooting my tank. Unfortunately, it's not a reflection or glare issue - it's like I'm adding an additional element of cheap plexiglass to the end of my lens. I've shot through glass and never had this problem, but with acrylic, it looks like absolute crap if I'm not an exact 90 degrees and level with the object I'm shooting in the tank.

For example, here's a shot of some live rock from eye level, perpendicular to the tank:

Here's the same shot, but shifted one foot up.

Same effect happens when I shift left or right. If I use a much smaller aperture it helps a little, but still is only usable within a small range off perpendicular. The further from perpendicular you get, the blurrier it gets and more CA is introduced. Here's one I took yesterday from a much more oblique angle:

It won't prevent me from getting decent shots of my full tank, but I was hoping to put my 100mm L to good use, especially once I get some coral in there!

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 21, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Reichstag posted:

Nothing.

Hahahahah. You are so bitter it's hilarious.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Clearly you have to be bitter to not appreciate the subtle genius of Flickr user mister bokeh. His typographical study of the Asian female in her natural environment is a new and exciting development in the short history of our beloved medium.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

http://www.oliandalex.com/james-face/ this is pretty hilarious

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gambl0r posted:

I feel your pain. I just bought a motorcycle this weekend (and all of the ridiculously expensive riding gear to go with it). It became immediately apparent that a motorcycle is not just a cheaper way to get from A to B than a car. It's a lifestyle choice. It's also way cheaper and easier to mod a motorcycle than a car, so I'm probably going to do all kinds of crazy poo poo to it. Luckily I bought a pretty powerful bike to start with so I won't want to upgrade to something bigger in six months.

I'm also getting into more design work and I'm trying to save money to buy a Macbook Pro off a user here so I can learn the Apple interface as well as getting a laptop that can edit photos (my current laptop is a 2-3 year old Dell that was pretty much bottom of the line when I bought it and I just upgraded my desktop this year and I've put way too much money into it to justify an Apple desktop).

brad industry posted:

What is it with camera nerds and Asian girls?

What is it with nerds and Asian girls? So far the only way I've seen it explained is "western women are bitches and eastern women know how to treat a man." There are several sites dedicated to this idea.

E: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100727032239AA4pIJ5

Read through the comments section if you feel you have too much faith in humanity.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 21, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Read through the comments section if you feel you have too much faith in humanity.

Clearly I must go to Asia immediately.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Paragon8 posted:

Awesome, I've also found facebook photos an never ending pool of photoshop fun. But I need to make more subtle changes like this guy.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

Clearly you have to be bitter to not appreciate the subtle genius of Flickr user mister bokeh. His typographical study of the Asian female in her natural environment is a new and exciting development in the short history of our beloved medium.

I don't particularly like them as a whole either, but there are a few of them that are quite pleasing and could easily be found in an advertising campaign. The guy probably uses the lens as a crutch and might just have one or two happy accidents, but to write the whole thing off as trash is definitely bitter. Especially coming from someone with the type of photos Reichstag posts. (which have just as narrow a spectrum of admirers, but I'm sure those admirers are cooler in his mind) He consistently hates on anything that has even a modicum of mainstream appeal.

You (brad) 20s and a few others are constantly trying to expand our collective minds into more obscure fine art photographers, which is great, and useful, but a lot of them are just as unappealing to those of us not super deep into fine art as this asian-bokeh-4000 is to you all. I just don't understand why the derision is acceptable in one direction, but not the other. If I call some hip current fine artist garbage because there is literally nothing aesthetically pleasing to me, you guys wax on about the context and message and blah blah blah. I can appreciate it, and even see it (at times), but it's frustrating as someone who prefers pursuing more traditional aesthetics see stuff hated on if it's not ultra deep. This guy's work is definitely shallow, but it's not garbage.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 21, 2011

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I think he has a ton of awesome pictures. Are goons raging because his name is "mr bokeh"?

It is not like the rest of you are advancing the medium of photography with every shot you take.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

keyframe posted:

It is not like the rest of you are advancing the medium of photography with every shot you take.

Speak for yourself! :argh:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Paragon8 posted:

The guy getting angry and his sequential posts getting filled with more and more rage is pretty great. NOW HE'S TAKING A CLASS TO LEARN TO DO THIS!

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

I don't particularly like them as a whole either, but there are a few of them that are quite pleasing

I was being sarcastic, because this guy chose the name mister bokeh and is indistinguishable from every other Flickr Explore superstar, right down to his choice of lens and taste in women.

Hatin' for the same reason everyone here dislikes K-Rock, not because he's not super deep fine artist. I don't think I've ever really posted about anyone that obscure or out of the mainstream anyways.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If I had a 200mm f/1.8, I'd probably be doing the exact same thing mister bokeh is just because it's a 200mm f/1.8, god dammit. Either that or I'd be taking concert photos of nothing but the performers' nostrils.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

is indistinguishable from every other Flickr Explore superstar

this is only true if you put practically every single modern advertising photographer into this group also.

Just from an initial glance, both these images are quite nice, and I certainly wouldn't mind having them in my portfolio. And if they are "garbage" by anyone's metric, than I can safely ignore all future art discussions with that person.

vv Not liking it is different from it being worthless, which was the original implication. vv

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 22, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I really don't like that window one. The other is nice though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I just discovered this and it's perfect timing for me because I was just about to buy a (wired) trigger but this would be even better. I'll probably build an IR transmitter this week and test it out.

http://www.dslrbot.com/

Thought I'd post it up here in case it might be of use to some of you guys.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Just from an initial glance, both these images are quite nice, and I certainly wouldn't mind having them in my portfolio.

I'm more making fun of Flickr than that guys work, which is what it is. He even has a weird business name complete with an illegible aperture-like logo as a watermark.

I give him 5 gold stars.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 22, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

I give him 5 gold stars.

but do they sparkle and rotate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
The only thing shallow about flickr user mister bokeh is his depth of field :colbert: