Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Eggplant Wizard posted:

We found a roach in my apartment last night (dead & torn apart, ty cats). Will putting traps/roach motels or whatever, cause the roaches (if god forbid there are anymore) to be poisonous for my cats? They don't usually eat bugs, just tear them up. The one last night was kind of eviscerated looking but definitely not much of it, if any, was eaten.

x-posting to general questions thread

It depends on the product. Roach motels are designed to trap roaches, so as long as you are careful to select trap products that don't contain poisons, it will be fine. I'm having a hard time too because I live in Florida and with the weather warming up, the roaches have decided it's time to make their appearance. With a cat and two ferrets I'm going to have to find an alternative to my gut instinct of POISON THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I have to find a new place soon and I'm looking for a shared appartement with roommates that allow pets.

The plan is to adopt two adult cats from the local shelter so that they won't be alone when I'm out.

How large should the place be so that the two of them can be kept indoors all the time?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Cats really prefer more vertical space to more horizontal space, so I wouldn't worry much about the size of the apartment and instead make sure that you have cat trees and furniture that allow them to be up higher, so they can look down upon you in disdain from their lofty position. And race up and down the furniture/trees in the middle of the night.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If I do get an apartment that allows pets, I may only be able to have one cat. Is this too much of a problem?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Pollyanna posted:

If I do get an apartment that allows pets, I may only be able to have one cat. Is this too much of a problem?

Nothing wrong with one cat. PI just recommends getting two kittens if you're getting kittens because it helps them better socialize as well as wear themselves out. If you only want one cat, you could ask the shelter for a "one cat" cat or just an adult cat. Of course there's also nothing wrong with getting a single kitten either. :)

that felt really longwinded to say

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pollyanna posted:

Not really, two cats are recommended but millions do fine on their own.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Kerfuffle posted:

Nothing wrong with one cat. PI just recommends getting two kittens if you're getting kittens because it helps them better socialize as well as wear themselves out. If you only want one cat, you could ask the shelter for a "one cat" cat or just an adult cat. Of course there's also nothing wrong with getting a single kitten either. :)

that felt really longwinded to say

Seconding shelter adult cat -- they can tell you at the shelter which cats tend to prefer being on their own, and everybody winds up happy. Kittens tend to do better with someone to play with but plenty of adults don't care for other cats at all. If you want one that's more kitten-y, at about a year old they still have a lot of crazy in them, plus they'd be cheaper to adopt and already neutered. Plus, the older they get, the harder it is for them to find homes, so you can rest assured you have saved a life. :)

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
I was going to take in my Boss's cat because she was basically a prisoner in her own house thanks to their new puppy. They offered to pay for her vet bills because they felt pretty terrible about the situation. She developed an infection and was taking a pill everyday. It started clearing up but one weekend she started going downhill again. They ended up have to put her down because there was nothing that could be done :(

She was a cute lil thing, really small for her age. I think she was about 6 or 7. She was lovin that railing.

Well now I really want a cat, a coworker found me one that is a couple years old from a woman she knows. It isn't fixed though, is there anything wrong with having a cat fixed at that age? The woman claims it doesn't spray but I don't want to take any chances.

I'd actually like to get two but I'm not sure if that's allowed in my apartment.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

HandsomeBen posted:

Well now I really want a cat, a coworker found me one that is a couple years old from a woman she knows. It isn't fixed though, is there anything wrong with having a cat fixed at that age? The woman claims it doesn't spray but I don't want to take any chances.

:stare: I dunno. Is the cat a male or a female? Maybe you could take him/her on a trial basis and if he/she sprays or causes problems, give him/her back? I mean, they're often okay, but I wouldn't rely on the testimony of someone who is trying to get rid of the cat.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Eggplant Wizard posted:

:stare: I dunno. Is the cat a male or a female? Maybe you could take him/her on a trial basis and if he/she sprays or causes problems, give him/her back? I mean, they're often okay, but I wouldn't rely on the testimony of someone who is trying to get rid of the cat.

Male and that is what I'm worried about. She said that he goes in the first week of April for his shots and she is willing to wait until that is done. She doesn't sound like she's trying to be deceitful or anything. I do plan on going to check him out before I make a decision though. The only problem with a trial is I have to pay a $200 deposit to have a pet here and an additional $15 a month. I don't really feel like trying to cheat the system either because I was super lucky getting into this place and I'd like to stay here.

Edit: I decided I'm going to check out a shelter close by instead. Also, Overkill? http://julietladieu.com/images/catTree/enormous_cat_Tree.jpg

HandsomeBen fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 22, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Holy poo poo, I don't have the floorspace for that, and yet if I did, my cats would think they'd died and gone to kitty heaven.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
A dear friend of mine is one of the adoption volunteers at Petsmart. She's been looking for a couple of months for a cat just for me and we found one -- he got adopted last night before I could go verify that he was as awesome as she said. Great for the cat, sad for me.

So today it's a trip to the shelter that she works through to meet some others and I'm bracing myself for the depression. I'm going to want to take them all, I know this, but I can't. I may possibly end up with two -- one of my neighbors has a pair -- but I think my place might be too small for that. I've lived in a smaller place with two cats but neither of them were happy about that and the last thing I want is to take a cat from a shelter and put it in a home it won't like.

Anyway, no real point to this, more that I'm counting the last two hours before I go meet my potential new kitty-shaped roommate. Hopefully I'll be able to give a cat a new home where they'll be properly spoiled, like all cats should be. Wish me luck!

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.
My boyfriend and I just adopted an older kitty from our landlady. He's as sweet as can be but I'm just a little worried as I don't see any signs of him having used his litter box yet. We just adopted him yesterday and all he's really done is hide under my boyfriend's desk. He'll peek out every now and then but otherwise, he just wants to stay there.

Is this anything to be concerned about or is it just a matter of him needing time to get used to his new surroundings?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Mummy Brigade posted:

Is this anything to be concerned about or is it just a matter of him needing time to get used to his new surroundings?

Exactly this. Just leave him alone. Give him a quiet space with food/water/litterbox. He'll come out when he's ready. :)

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.

Kerfuffle posted:

Exactly this. Just leave him alone. Give him a quiet space with food/water/litterbox. He'll come out when he's ready. :)

Yeah, I got back from picking my boyfriend up from school and noticed some litter around the entrance of the litterbox so it looks like he's using it. Of course, I've got another issue. The cat likes to hide underneath my boyfriend's recliner. Right now, we've got some boxes around the side and back to try and block the cat from getting in, but I'm still worried about him finding his way underneath the recliner and getting trapped/hurt. Any ideas as to what to do there?

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Well, I was adopted! He's an approximately 3 year old black and white long haired kitty that obviously was someone's pet at one point (he was marked as a stray, they found him wandering and no one claimed him.) The name is coming, I think I have it figured out but I'm giving it a few days.

In the meantime he is very sweet and very mellow and loves to be petted. Not the most graceful of creatures, but very gentle and right at home on the furniture without showing any interest in scratching it (he has a post anyway.) He basically follows me around, circles around my legs and headbutts me when he isn't rolling around. This is the first time I've ever adopted a cat that didn't need a few days of hiding. His only issue so far seems to be hearing the cats across the hall when the door is open -- he's not a fan and gave them a good long glare.

Oh, and the hall closet is not allowed to be closed. Not at all. Ever.

I have a feeling it will be a long night but it's for a good cause. My new friend will settle in, he has a comfy place to sleep that he's already given his approval to if he doesn't just curl up with me. Very happy I went down to see him, he's awesome :)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So, I recently adopted a kitten?/cat? from the Humane Society in my area. The kitty has been great! He's very friendly and just a great time to be around BUT there's just one thing...my allergies are going crazy.

I lived with my parents' cats for 5 years with nary a problem. My last year living with them, they even got the same type of cat as I have now (male black cat) and I didn't have a problem.

Details:
Name:Ripley
Owned for: 2 weeks
Neutered
I currently feed him Purina kitty food
He was checked up on at the Humane Society as of 2 weeks ago
He's an indoor cat in a 1 bedroom apartment
No other pets in the apartment
There's one litter box (due to space)

I have no plans to surrender this kitty but I'm curious as to what I can do minimize my reactions. I was wondering if anybody had advice or knowledge on allergies. I've been brushing him and vacuuming and doing what I can to keep his at a minimum in my environment.

Do I just need to be around him more? Again, lived with cats for years without an allergic reaction.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Boywhiz88 posted:

So, I recently adopted a kitten?/cat? from the Humane Society in my area. The kitty has been great! He's very friendly and just a great time to be around BUT there's just one thing...my allergies are going crazy.

I lived with my parents' cats for 5 years with nary a problem. My last year living with them, they even got the same type of cat as I have now (male black cat) and I didn't have a problem.

Details:
Neutered

I have no plans to surrender this kitty but I'm curious as to what I can do minimize my reactions. I was wondering if anybody had advice or knowledge on allergies. I've been brushing him and vacuuming and doing what I can to keep his at a minimum in my environment.

Do I just need to be around him more? Again, lived with cats for years without an allergic reaction.

You're gonna want to check out this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387137

The OP isn't necessarily asking what you are, but there is lots of advice you can use.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Boywhiz88 posted:

Zyrtec all day every day. (It's Ceterizine if you want the generic, I use Wal-Zyr with no problems.)

Other than that, my main advice is 1- no cat on the bed, 2- wash your hands if you pet the cat/before eating and 3- do not touch your face. Oh and 4- if you cuddle the cat change your shirt.

The things I do to love animals that are toxic to me. It does get better with time, I went from "well zyrtec lasts maybe 12 of the 24 hours it's supposed to" to a comfy one a day. I still get wheezy when I pet cats that are not my cats but mine can sit on my head and I'll be ok after a shower.

Also your cat is in great danger of exploding if we don't see pics.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Details:
Neutered

Your allergies will probably settle down after a few weeks.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
Thinkin about rescuing, y'all :woop:

I'm looking at rescuing an adult cat as early as August. Two questions:
1. One cat I'm looking at has no hind legs. Like none. She was born with one hind leg but it was crap and got jacked up so it was amputated. She's still highly mobile according to the shelter :3: Is there a point to getting a cat tree? (Tbh I wasn't planning on buying a cat tree but instead making one out of boxes and old towels and blankets if at all possible.) If she (somehow) manages to climb her way onto something high, will she be okay getting down on her own? How dangerous for her is it to have stairs in my house?

2. I'm in the process of figuring out a general budget for cat care, like how much should I save up in advance, what are the recurring costs each month, all that. How long does a bag of food last for just one adult cat? How long for a bag of litter? I'm trying to put things in terms of $/month.

e: Not really a kitten question, is it...My b. v:geno:v

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Well, if you're going to adopt a special needs animal you probably should put a decent amount aside (or at least have the option of a credit card.) E-vet visits can run a couple hundred to a couple thousand. I don't think saving 2k before you get a cat is really necessary, but just be aware things can go south in a hurry.

Food wise I get a big bag of Blue Buffalo and a tub of tidy cats once a month and that covers 2 cats. I think they're about 25-35$ a month each, for food and litter. This will vary based on what food and litter you get, of course.

If she can't climb a tree she will still need scratchers, there's a bunch of flat and inclined types that would be fine. I would baby gate stairs if she can't handle them, but that's going to depend on her. Cats LOOOOVE boxes though, making a ground level Cat Fort would be fine. Hell I do that for my spoiled kitties and they have legs!

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
Cool, thanks. The two-legged cat is just one on a list of many many prospectives, and of course I'm more likely to end up with a cat that adopts me rather than one I set out to meet and adopt. Cats always fuckin with my plans :argh:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Is there anything in dryer sheets that would be appealing to a cat's appetite or is my cat just weird?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I'm going to be getting a two-bedroom apartment in the next month and adopting a shelter cat a couple months after that. This apartment is going to be completely carpeted aside from the kitchen and bathroom.

I've read when introducing a cat to a new home it's a good idea to give them their own room for a little bit. I'm wondering if the second, smaller bedroom is a good candidate for this or if I would want something with a tile/linoleum floor in case she doesn't take a fancy to the box right away.

A Curvy Goonette fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 24, 2011

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there anything in dryer sheets that would be appealing to a cat's appetite or is my cat just weird?

It's not just you, there was a goon who had like a $2000 exploratory surgery to find a blockage, it was a dryer sheet.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Esmerelda posted:

Oh, and the hall closet is not allowed to be closed. Not at all. Ever.

My cat will wake me up in the night with his incessant pawing at the laundry room/closet door if I've left it closed. rear end in a top hat cats.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
One of our cats does that too. And the basement door is his constant foe for no reason I can determine.

The OP mentions wire chewing but doesn't really dwell on it. Our new cat (I mentioned him before, he was lonely in the isolation room apart from our two other cats - listening to the radio actually did help with that) has developed a terrible taste for wires.

He has chewed through one already - fortunately a USB connection cable to a device that just turned off once it lost signal, and not a major power cable. But he likes to chew on everything - phone chargers, computer cords, video game cords, anything he can reach. It may be because he has that endless kitten energy still (about 1 year old) but he does play with the other cat, his toys, and I play with him with a laser pointer most nights.

Is the bitter apple stuff the way to go? I am going to get some today but I was wondering if I should try something else in addition. Any tips?

Sionak fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 25, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

That should work.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Serella posted:

My cat will wake me up in the night with his incessant pawing at the laundry room/closet door if I've left it closed. rear end in a top hat cats.
He closed the clothes closet this morning while doing his hug/pace/circle/hug routine then had the audacity to stare up at me and meow in a rather exasperated tone. I'm not the one who closed the closet, goofy cat, don't blame me!

Sionak posted:

Is the bitter apple stuff the way to go? I am going to get some today but I was wondering if I should try something else in addition. Any tips?
I had a cat that didn't care about the bitter apple stuff but oranges were his mortal enemy. The oil from the rind was pretty much all that was necessary to keep him away from things -- or double sided sticky tape.

The other one that was a chewer ended up growing out of it eventually. After he'd done some damage, of course.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where in the Houston area can I take a stray/abandoned cat and be confident she won't be euthanized?

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a young adult white cat (~1-3 years) hanging around my apartment complex. I suspect she's an abandoned pet because she's very affectionate, follows me around outside like a dog, and has tried to get inside my home on multiple occasions. However, she has no collar or tags or microchip.

Taking her in is not an option. For one, I already have a cat that gets extremely stressed and anxious around other cats. For another, I can't afford it. I've already mentioned her to my friends and facebook-advertised her to everyone I know, but nobody is interested. I have looked for no-kill organizations in Houston, but it seems like they just rescue adoption-ready animals about to be euthanasized at the city shelter, and having worked at a shelter in the past I know that a lot of animals are destroyed before they even make it to the adoption list. I could just ignore her and let her be the wild cat on the complex, but she's tame enough that I suspect she's going to be run over sooner or later.

Any suggestions?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Homeless Pet Placement League? http://www.hppl.org/

If you go on petfinder, and go to the website of the shelters listed in your area you can find quite a few no-kill shelters or foster organizations.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

2508084 posted:

Homeless Pet Placement League? http://www.hppl.org/

If you go on petfinder, and go to the website of the shelters listed in your area you can find quite a few no-kill shelters or foster organizations.

This.

Also this:

http://www.cap4pets.org/

They aren't specifically no kill that I can recall, but they have a very high adoption rate and also a weekend adoption program that would let you bring her up. They are very highly rated, and we had lots of good experiences referring people to them at the clinic where I worked.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 26, 2011

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Soo. Posted about a new kitty a while back, he's starting to warm up to us a bit. For some reason he still spends most of his time in the closet. EXCEPT during the morning. He walks around the house or our bedroom and meows, and meows, and meows. This can occur any time from 5 am to 9 am. As far as I can tell he's fed and watered, litter box is clean. How can I cure him of this morning meow? I wouldn't mind an afternoon meow, please I just want to sleep in.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Oh, early Sunday morning visits to the e-vet! Oona was making noises like she was locked in a closet this morning and we tracked her down to the litter box :( She was definitely straining. She has a history of calcium ox crystals so off to the e-vet we went. She didn't have a bladder to give a sample, but we got fluids and buprenex and we'll take her in tomorrow to our regular vet, who we haven't met yet since we moved to Austin. The e-vet did know of the vet office where we came from in Houston and shared some friends with my old boss though, small world. Here's hoping for cystitis, which she also has a problem with. She eats c/d so I really hope it's not crystals.

Luckily we went in knowing what we'd need since we've been through this a bunch of times before and we got out of there for under $200.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Who's your new vet? :ninja:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Reason posted:

Soo. Posted about a new kitty a while back, he's starting to warm up to us a bit. For some reason he still spends most of his time in the closet. EXCEPT during the morning. He walks around the house or our bedroom and meows, and meows, and meows. This can occur any time from 5 am to 9 am. As far as I can tell he's fed and watered, litter box is clean. How can I cure him of this morning meow? I wouldn't mind an afternoon meow, please I just want to sleep in.

I'm pretty sure the only way to get an afternoon meow instead of a morning meow, is to wake up super early, and take afternoon naps.

The only other thing you could try, is just to wear out the cat before bedtime with an intense 20-30 minute play session, and wear that sucker out.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Crooked Booty posted:

Who's your new vet? :ninja:

Dr. Kim Percival at the Cat Hospital of Austin. She did an internship with my clinic (the Cat Veterinary Clinic in Houston) and she also took care of the kitty of the parents of one of the vets I worked with and he really liked her.

Why? :ninja:

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

RheaConfused posted:

Why? :ninja:
I figured you'd either go there or a certain clinic where I used to work, so I was just curious. :) I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Percival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Crooked Booty posted:

I figured you'd either go there or a certain clinic where I used to work, so I was just curious. :) I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Percival.

Thanks! I did my research, and the fact that both of the vets I worked with recommended her (and they didn't know that they both knew her till we started talking about moving) sealed the deal.