Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
A. A Justin Allard who is mad enough to marry Romano is ambitious enough to murder Max Liao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

quote:

A. A Justin Allard who is mad enough to marry Romano is ambitious enough to murder Max Liao.

To be fair, this is a Romano without the sibling rivalry pressure from Candace, so she probably isn't quite as pants-on-head crazy. But option A is a good option too and I won't be sad if it wins; I just think Justin would be more savvy and not willing to quite commit to an unchallengeable Chancellor Romano, since he wouldn't have as much leverage over her and couldn't keep the politics on as fine a knife edge as if he kept Maximilian on ice.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

To be fair, this is a Romano without the sibling rivalry pressure from Candace, so she probably isn't quite as pants-on-head crazy. But option A is a good option too and I won't be sad if it wins; I just think Justin would be more savvy and not willing to quite commit to an unchallengeable Chancellor Romano, since he wouldn't have as much leverage over her and couldn't keep the politics on as fine a knife edge as if he kept Maximilian on ice.

Savvy plays second fiddle to an arm-laser. :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

C) Ford the River

A. Murder and deception is all the Cappellans are good at, so we might as well play to their strengths.

You're going to have crazy people in charge no matter who is in power, might as well be the one you're sleeping with.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Muk sums my position up nicely. B.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Option A. Max will find a way to be a thorn in Justin's side so long as he lives, no matter what his powers are on paper.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zaodai posted:

C) Ford the River

A. Murder and deception is all the Cappellans are good at, so we might as well play to their strengths.

You're going to have crazy people in charge no matter who is in power, might as well be the one you're sleeping with.

I agree, A, kill Maximilian Liao with a cleverly engineered river-fording accident.

cookieman
Jan 19, 2009
A : Let's have some more violence.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Option E is a quick way for Justin to get himself shot in the head. Old Max doted on his daughters in the canon timeline, and with only one left, he'll dote even harder on her. Option C is definitely a no-go, because adopting a "wait and see" approach has never worked for the Confederation, ever. Waiting means losing more to the Fox. D is dubious at best - not necessarily because Max is going to gently caress up the war, but because with Max in power, there's going to be constant interference from Romano as she plots to seize power. Remember, every single self-advancing plan from Romano failed horribly, in ways that ultimately weakened the Confederation.

I'm going to have to go with Option B. Canon Romano kept her senile father out of the way and well-tended, and he never caused a problem. If this timeline's Romano proves to be as worthless as the canon Romano, then Justin can always restore Max, even at the cost of his own life, if only to save the Confederation.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Option B. No need to kill such a useful puppet.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
A, of course. The old man is insane and better off dead. Besides, there's nothing that can go wrong with that, right?

So... did the Colonel's son make it or not? MVPs for Engine Joe and Zhukov tank respectively.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Knife goes in, guts come out. A

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
"It looks to only be about 4 feet deep, my lord."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Before I forget, what, exactly, was Justin's plan before it went fubar? You've mostly just implied that it would have been less...bloody.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Option E. This whole thing feels like a set-up. Whether it's Max trying to test Justin's loyalty or Romano trying to break it is unclear, but I strongly suspect there's more going on here than we know about.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Before I forget, what, exactly, was Justin's plan before it went fubar? You've mostly just implied that it would have been less...bloody.

Seems to be just to kidnap the kids, get the Caballeros out of the repair bay, capture it when they were attempting to rescue the kids, then present them with a fait accompli in the form of hostages taken plus mech bay captured, forcing them off the world... Or something like that.

As for the vote, I'm gonna go with B. Justin Xiang is smart enough to play Max off of Romano and awesome enough to pull it off. Romano can be a lot crazier and worse than Max, so having him in the background, possibly to have a limit on Romano's excess, would be a good idea. The choice would probably give the best option for the Capellans, and seeing as how we'll be playing as them eventually, I'd like to see them in a better position, I guess. Dumping on them all the time gets old, or something like that...

Also, is it just me, or does the idea of Justin with Romano make anyone else's skin crawl?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 22, 2011

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Option E. A Justin Allard truly in foreign employ is one that has to die.

God Save the Prince.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TildeATH posted:

"It looks to only be about 4 feet deep, my lord."

This right here is great. I'm glad I'm not the only one who got the Oregon Trail vibe from the multiple choice options (especially C).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Then clearly, the option to choose is B. Cause B is for Bacon!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Voting for B, it's always best to keep the number of possible political options as open as possible. Plus I'm sure he's read Macbeth, insane women telling you to murder lords can only end badly if you follow their advice.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Macbeth can only be the good option here, voting A

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
B Shooting an important asset in the back of the head is high risk. If you park him somewhere you can always blame someone else and bring him back later.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

cafel posted:

Voting for B, it's always best to keep the number of possible political options as open as possible. Plus I'm sure he's read Macbeth, insane women telling you to murder lords can only end badly if you follow their advice.

It's more King Leer than MacBeth, due to the fact that it's the daughter prompting the murder. If we're going to do that, we need to do it the right way and drive him insane!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
17th Recon MVP: Skinwalker For getting shredded but still putting on the hurt and this

quote:

as soon as his ‘Mech cooled down enough, that pilot was eating a large laser. It wasn’t even to punish him for firing at an ejecting ‘Mechwarrior. That’s just how Bobby was.

Nobody is as motherfucking :black101: as Bobby Begay.

DC MVP: Zhukov For unrelenting pain it dished out.

Plot Vote: Option A.

Justin Allard might have let Max live. Justin XIANG will make sure he has a tasteful funeral.

And whoooo boy, if Justin is getting freaky with Ramona Lioa, that means there's a possibility Kai will be both Wunderkid and BATSHIT INSANE! I want that kind of Kai to exist.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
B is the best choice regicide never ends well at all.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Voting B.

Who knows what Max will do when he's off in the corner fuming with what little sanity he has left? Either he'll blow up (hilarious) or Justin (owns) starts running the show.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Voting Scout Platoon for Cabelleros MVP, cause I have soft spot for the underdog.

Voting Capellan Militia for Death Commandos MVP, as IIRC they got the most hostage kills.

Voting option B for politics. Anyone as crazy as 'ol Max won't stay dead if you kill him, but discredited is forever.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Threaten" (via nearby enemy presence) but don't harm Caballero dependents with infantry and a bunch of Locusts, attack repair facility with Death Commandos armed with infernos to set off any ammo and cripple all Caballero 'Mechs making them more likely to take a lucretive Capellan contract once their FWL contract expired.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
B because it is most likely to lead to a Capellan civil war, which would make everyone happy. The DC side gets to root for Capellans, and the rest of us get to see Capellans DIE.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Voting B, as it keeps options open for lots of politicalliteral intriguebackstabbing later on.

OmegaDarkcat
Nov 10, 2009
Gonna vote for option B as well. Keeping the whack-job with a good head for strategy around may pay off on the long run.

As for the Cabelleros MVP, I vote for the Rifleman as well. Anyone who does a hat-dance on and through an infantry group deserves it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Option A

Because I really, really want to see Kai raised in that household. drat.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Option A, because seeing someone who ordered the deaths of children to no purpose get murdered on his child's order is just hilarious.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I think I've played too much of the video games, because I can't help but be a firm supporter of the Davions. In this case though, I think the most interesting option would be B. Keeps options open, allows possibility for different scenarios to occur, while allowing Justin to actually do something possibly worthwhile.

Still a firm Davionist, though.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Liao's getting pretty old so using the senility trick ought to work; bonus if you send him off to get institutionalized. Of course maybe it's a good idea to get Justin(double agent) Allard killed before he sends more death commandos to an early grave.

Since it looks like it's going to be between A and B I'll go with B.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Option: A

Justin and Romano = Sun Tzu Allard?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Option A because it just wouldn't be Capellan politics without backstabbing of the worst degree. Well, politics in general really.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hmm...What would Sun Tzu say?

"Therefore the skillful leader subdues the enemy's troops without any fighting; he captures their cities without laying siege to them; he overthrows their kingdom without lengthy operations in the field."

Mmm...Option A. If you're going to strike, strike decisively. A Maximilian with a wounded reputation can strike you again later. A Maximilian who is killed will remain killed.

Your goal should be to quickly and decisively resolve the situation, not to resolve it delicately.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I was about to vote B, but then again, he is not that old and insane yet so lop off his head! A.
As for the MVP I think I'll vote for the Zukov and the guy who one shotted the cataphract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Zhukov and Skinwalker definitely

• Locked thread