Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So this is, what, list no. 12? You're burning through these at a rate higher than most! I'm sure there's an apropos joke to be made...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So this is, what, list no. 12?

Yeah I'm wishy-washy. I can never decide how to put together my list. I don't want to just list stuff I was planning to watch anyway, but on the other hand I don't wanna watch stuff that there's not much chance of my enjoying.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You're burning through these at a rate higher than most! I'm sure there's an apropos joke to be made...

Those jokes has been obnoxiously prevalent lately.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
FitFortDanga, have a go at The Hunchback of Notre Dame. There's a lot of gorgeous lighting in that one.

The Battle of Algiers - "We all think it would be best if we stay." But for who? A lot of eerily familiar stuff here, but as tempting as it is to conflate colonialism with our current form of imperialism, there are some pretty major differences. The film is stronger now because of that, as it avoids painting a "big picture" and focuses on the smaller events, tactics, and motivations, which do translate. I wish news networks would play Lieutenant-Colonel Matheiu's speech to the press on torture and guerrilla warfare at the end of every segment on our foreign policy, it cuts right through all the bullshit: in such morally ambiguous situations, moral arguments are largely posturing. Then and now, we're "over there" because we think it would be best for us if we stayed. 9.5/10

Updated:

2. Bringing Up Baby - I have no idea why I haven't seen this, I'm a fan of everyone involved.

3. City Lights - I've only ever seen The Great Dictator, but it was years ago. Bad, I know. I do love Buster Keaton.

4.Double Indemnity - Wilder, Chandler, I have no idea how I missed it. It's the only one of the "big name" noirs I haven't seen.

6. L'atalante - I love visually creative silent films, and the couple of scenes I saw in a documentary once were gorgeous.

7. Modern Times - Ditto re: Chaplin.

8. Sansho the Bailiff - Ugetsu blew me away; I've been meaning to explore some more Mizoguchi.

10. Sunrise - Note for #6 applies here, too.

11. My Darling Clementine - The ever-promising 3 F's: Ford, Fonda, and...Walter Brennan, I guess.

12. Stagecoach - Another, more obvious Ford. I've held off on this because the images I've seen make it look less visually striking than his later work, but that's not really fair, I guess.

13. Lawrence of Arabia - I've avoided this, even though I like The Bridge Over the River Kwai. Who knows. Some details and readings people on here have mentioned recently have piqued my curiosity.

Mission accomplished: The Godfather Part II - 9/10, Some Like it Hot - 9/10, The Battle of Algiers - 9.5/10

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Aorist posted:

13. Lawrence of Arabia - I've avoided this, even though I like The Bridge Over the River Kwai. Who knows. Some details and readings people on here have mentioned recently have piqued my curiosity.

I recently watched this and was pleasantly surprised at its complexity and depth. I think you'll enjoy.

Les enfants du paradis. I don't know what I was expecting really, but whatever my expectations could have been, they would have been exceeded. This for me, was cinematic perfection. It was incredibly funny. There was slapstick, jokes, clowning. The acting was super. What was marked was the change between part 1 and 2, with their innocence and idealism dissipated. I couldn't make up my mind whether Arletty was attractive or not, but one thing for sure, when she smiled, I understood why her suitors hearts' melted. Finally, we saw the consequences of all the traits of the characters with a heart rending speech from Baptiste's wife. A brilliant, funny and moving film. I think it might be my favourite. No, I'm sure it's my favourite.

So my list becomes ...

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Battleship Potemkin I'd like to see the montages.

Jules et Jim I'd like to practice my French.

Pierrot le fou more Godard.

Days of Heaven The Malick I've yet to see.

L'avventura First Antonioni.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

knees of putty posted:

Jules et Jim I'd like to practice my French.

Haven't seen seen anything on your list, picked this because it's on mine.

The Wild Bunch was pretty great. The shootouts and action setpieces were spectacular. I liked the pursuit of Pike by his former partner and the characters' backstories. This movie feels pretty modern actually, maybe it's the editing. 8.3/10

I don't really know how to feel about A Clockwork Orange. On one hand, I love the visual design. Strange, bright colors everywhere. Oddly shaped chairs and cars and purple hair. It's a future 70's dystopia, like if Fallout had a 1970's theme instead of 1950's. I also liked the ridiculous slang that Alex talks with, though I can see how it would annoy some people. On the other hand, the story really didn't connect with me much at all. I don't really know how to explain it, but everything just seemed...pointless. The criminals are bad, the police are bad, the government is bad, the public is stupid and easily led. I mean, I've seen (and loved) plenty of movies where there are no good guys. I think the main themes of the movie flew over my head. Maybe I'm just an idiot. 7.5/10

1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Internet favorite, I really don't know much about it.

2. A Clockwork Orange Singin' in the Rain - I guess I have to put this here after A Clockwork Orange used the title song so prominently.

3. The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

5. The Wild Bunch Once Upon a Time in the West - Love the Dollars trilogy, don't know why I haven't seen this yet.

6. The Thin Red Line - Never seen a Malick picture. This looks like it has a pretty great cast.

7. Platoon - I don't think I've ever seen an Oliver Stone movie.

8. Dial M for Murder - MURDER!

9. The Sting - Sounds fun.

10. Jules and Jim - More French...stuff.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I want to join in! My friends always tell me I've not seen enough of the supposed "classic cinema" list. I have an odd fetish for straight to DVD action films and Brit gangster movies (even though every one is basically the same these days)

Atheistdeals.com , go watch Platoon. Since Charlie Sheen seems to be the man of the moment. Plus it has possibly one of my favourite cast list in movie history. Watch while knowing that Charlie Sheen was just as loopy as he is now back in 86. I don't think it's the best film from your list but it's certainly more than enjoyable. 7.5/10

My list is as follows...

1. Citizen Kane - The so called best film of all time. One of the most critically acclaimed anyways. Although it's nowhere near the top of the IMDB list. My Mums favourite film, my dads favourite film and my lecturer's favourite film. I suppose I really should get around to watching it.

2. City Of God Another one I take flak over. I don't even know much about this except it's about growing up in Rio. I think.

3. Se7en I love 90's era Morgan Freeman so I've no idea why I've never got round to watching this. I'm sure I may have started watching it one time but I definitely haven't seen it through.

4.Alien - I have never seen any Alien films. Don't hurt me.

5.Pan's Labyrinth - When I was a media student a few years back, this was pretty much the film everyone was spunking over at the time. I prefer going out to the pub than watching and studying movies. Which is why I failed.

6.Indiana Jones: Raiders Of The Lost Ark - I'm sick of my friends quoting this and me not being able to relate. Another trilogy I've not seen.

7.Raging Bull - As a massive Rocky fan and fan of boxing movies in general, I have no idea how I've never seen this. Especially as I own it on DVD.

8.The Bridge Over The River Kwai - My family make a point of watching this every Christmas when it comes on TV. I literally do not have any idea why I've not seen this.

9.Full Metal Jacket - Add this to the list of films I'm sick of people quoting and not being able to understand.

10.Batman Begins - I've seen every other Batman film apart from this. I can't even remember it coming out at the cinema.

I hope I've done this right.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

The Natural posted:

9.Full Metal Jacket - Add this to the list of films I'm sick of people quoting and not being able to understand.

The Natural - You really need to see Full Metal Jacket, especially if you've enjoyed other Kubrick movies. Your list is full of "must-sees" though. After this, if you have time, go through the Alien series as well.

The Godfather(****) - Having seen many gangster/crime/mob movies in my day, I can finally see where they got their influence from. Overall very enjoyable. The acting really stood out to me.

New List:
1. Lawrence of Arabia - Before my time.
2. The Godfather part II - I felt I should see the first one before I saw this one.
3. The Good the Bad and the Ugly - Was never much of a Clint Eastwood fan. Now I am and this seems like a decent place to start.
4. 12 Angry Men - It was black and white and I was ignorant and stupid.
5. The Fly(original and remake) -Never really got around to either of them. The fact I am such a nerd for this genre of film only deepens my shame.
6. Citizen Kane - I clump this movie in with Casablanca, which I did not particularly enjoy.
7. Raging Bull - I'm adding this because I just saw Taxi Driver and I want more Paul Schrader.
8. Rear Window - I heard it compared to Disturbia once which kinda turned me off.
9. Memento - I put it off because I heard it was complicated and hard to follow.
10. Eyes Wide Shut - It's next on my list of Kubrick movies.

No longer ashamed:
Taxi Driver (*****), Casablanca (***), The Godfather (****)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Treebeh, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films. So you get that.

I was a little nervous going into Saving Private Ryan. At first I was worried I might have seen it mimicked or referenced so many times everything would just seem like I've already seen it. Then when the first thing I saw was an American flag I started worrying it was just gonna be "America, gently caress Yeah". But I was pleasantly surprised when neither of these was true. The only real thing that I've seen parodied was the opening when Miller is watching the carnage. Spielberg knows how to make 3 hours fly by. I really enjoyed this one, it wasn't what I was expecting. 9/10

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#45 Persona - Bergmanbergmanbergmanbergmanbergman.

#49 Bowling For Columbine - I saw Sicko and it was funny, and I could use some solid political humor.

#50 Mean Streets - Harvey Keitel's the loving man.

#53 Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song - Are we all just adding this to our lists? Eh, it's been awhile since my last Blaxploitation adventure anyway.

#54 Network - A newscaster goes crazy and that's all I know.

#55 Wild At Heart - As if I haven't put enough Lynch on this list already. But this one has Nic Cage.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Our Hospitality was a delight. There's always been declarations that the silent comedies were visually uninteresting. This may be dubiously true of Chaplin and Lloyd, but I just cannot figure out why anyone would say that about Buster Keaton. The shockingly dark prologue smacked of Griffith, and a good lot of the jokes were tied into beautiful and evocative imagery (Broadway and 42nd Street, 1830). The train ride was my favorite part and I'm glad it stretched so long, because I could totally have watched a full movie of Buster Keaton on an undersized train. That willingness to be tangental is a trait most movies have lost. Just a wonderful, heartfelt little film. This might be my new favorite Keaton.

TrixRabbi, enjoy Network, one of my absolute all-time favorites.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

Duel in the Sun I like duels.

Red Riding 1974 I can't decide if this looks very good or totally lovely.

Comradeship I hope this is Pabst's BLUE RIBBON film!!

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

New one: A Guy Named Joe This is apparently one of Spielberg's biggest influences, but most everyone else is pretty cool on it. Then again, I just can't see how pairing Victor Fleming and Spencer Tracy could go wrong.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Diabolique I think I'd really like this.

The Awful Truth I don't have any interest, but I'm tired of it turning up on every "see this loving movie" list.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10)

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
So, finally watched Akira (Took me long enough huh?). It was a very enjoyable film. The biggest factors in my enjoyment was that Kaneda isn't really a hero in any capacity. He gets dragged into the plot from trying to get laid, and never really has any idea what's going on, but he keeps at it to save Tetsuo. And then because he's the only one who can defeat him. On the Tetsuo note, he's the most tragic antagonist I can think of right now. Poor guy just wanted to be respected. And then he went crazy. Also, the Colonel is a complete and total badass. The art is amazing, especially for 1988, and everything looks just so... cyberpunk, that it's hard not to see where it has influenced everything else.
If there's really anything negative I can say about it, it'd probably be that it takes a little long to really hit it's stride, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be rooting against the Espers as much as I did. Still, overall a great movie (So very 80s, but that's not necessarily a bad thing), and responsible for restoring my faith in anime as a whole.

Coincidentally, I ended up watching One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest in my Psychology class, so that's another off the list. Was also great. Not sure what else to say on the matter besides holy poo poo that was Danny DeVito?

Penismightier, Diabolique is a great movie, and thus you shall watch it.

List time!

Any Hitchcock. Any at all I think I watched Rear Window once, but other than that I’ve never actually watched one of his movies.

Seven Samurai I watched The Magnificent Seven recently, and so I’d like to get in on this as well.

Rashomon Another Kurosawa, ‘cause I need to culture my uncouth self.

Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick Been meaning to get around to these. Watched a bit of one of them on a friend’s laptop, and I’d really like to see the rest.

Heat The only heist movies I’ve ever watched are Inside Man and the Ocean’s series, so I’m interested in some variety.

Eraserhead Because mindfucks never go out of style.

28 Days/Weeks Later Just got a two-pack of these, so I’ll probably get ‘em done on my own time, but hey, might as well fill out the list.

The Usual Suspects I have honestly never finished watching this. I know the twist because goddamn internet, but I still feel like I need to finish it off, just for my own satisfaction and because what I already watched was quite awesome.

New! The Wild Bunch Been in a western-y mood lately, and realized I'd never watched this, so here it is.

New! Shaft Just bought a vinyl of the soundtrack, it'd be downright wrong if I don't watch the movie.

Watched: Akira, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

RandallODim watch Rashomon.

There's nothing exactly bad about The Color Purple, but it's so drat overwrought and button pushing that I can't really get much out of it. Most damning is how incredibly depressing and harrowing the content is, and yet the depiction is for the most part superficial and even upbeat, whether it be through musical choices or editing ones. Spielberg seems to be absolutely terrified of making something raw and real.

Updated list:

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

The Hawks and the Sparrows Salo aside, I think I like Passolini so I should check this out.

Husbands More Cassavetes, should be good.

Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray Criticker says I'll love this, it's French and it won the best Foreign Film Oscar.

Drunken Master I've never seen any Jackie Chan's pre-Hollywood film. Figure this is a good place to start.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Peaceful Anarchy, watch Husbands, because Cassavetes is the best thing I've discovered from this thread so far.

Ben-Hur was ridiculously boring. Sure there were some great set pieces that were interesting while they lasted (the obvious chariot race and the naval battle), but overall I was counting the minutes for this one to end. And there were a lot of minutes. This is pretty much exactly how I expected to feel about this movie. 2.5/5

Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
A Bittersweet Life
The Koreans haven't let me down yet.
Mona Lisa
Don't know much about this, but it sounds good.
Beauty and the Beast
Seen a lot of love for this.
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
This sounds very similar to Deathtrap. I hope its better.
Brief Encounter
Its gonna be a Lean night.
Night of Cabiria
I haven't seen enough Felini.
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
I'm going to reserve a spot on my shameful list for the movie on the most lists at iCheckMovies. I don't really know anything about this one, I hadn't even heard of it until a few months ago, but its on 21 lists.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
TenSpades, let's go with Mona Lisa

Frankenstein was much better than Dracula. I don't really know what I can say that hasn't been said before. There is a reason that the image of Karloff's version has stood the test of time. The lake scene has been referenced constantly, but it was still haunting even though I knew what was coming. I was surprised that there was more depth to this than I was expecting. I really enjoyed it.

1) Gojira- now for a different kind of monster movie
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Sleeper- I've somehow missed this Woody Allen film
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) The Battle of Algiers- seems to be right up my alley
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Wings of Desire- picked this up in the latest Criterion sale because it intrigued me
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

6) The Battle of Algiers- seems to be right up my alley

Cool movie.

Fantastic Planet featured a creative artistic vision and some psychedelic visuals, although I wouldn't recommend watching this movie on a real trip. The trend of the movie was more disturbing than expected. There was some social commentary with the Draags, who represented an advanced but emotionally-detached civilization enslaving the clearly sentient (albeit miniature) human beings. The alien lifeforms were improbably strange (like out of Dr. Seuss' nightmares), and the jazzy soundtrack oddly fitting.

Updated list:

The 400 Blows One of those classics obliged to watch at some point

The Bicycle Thief Languishing at the top of the queue

La Dolce Vita Have never seen this or any other film by Fellini.

The Asphalt Jungle Catching up with Huston and noir

Reds Seems to be the most epic in scope of Warren Beatty

Annie Hall Some light-hearted comedy for the list

Bringing Out the Dead I like the potential of this one

Gandhi Can this movie hold my attention for the running time? The Academy believes it's worthy.

Barton Fink Recommended to me as a Coen brothers film.

The Insider I can get down with Michael Mann and Al Pacino any time, plus, intriguing subject matter.

Watched: Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep, Army of Shadows, On the Waterfront, Fantastic Planet

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

Noctaurus posted:

Annie Hall Some light-hearted comedy for the list

And yet it's more than that, so you get to watch it.

I got around to The Manchurian Candidate, which I liked a lot. Whole cast is very good (Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Janet Leigh), and Angela Lansbury is creepy as hell as the mother. One thing: that train sequence is weird as hell. Also, I watched the 2004 remake for comparison's sake and was surprised at how good that one is, actually. It's a smart update with some great work by Meryl Streep and Liev Schreiber in particular.

Updated list:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious. I have access to Taste of Cherry and Ten.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

4. 1940s: Mildred Pierce- I loved Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood, couldn’t stand Yankee Doodle Dandy, and feel that I need to see more Michael Curtiz. How about this supposed masterpiece that Todd Haynes is remaking for HBO with Kate Winslet. Also: I’ve never seen a Joan Crawford film.

5. 1950s: Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

6. 1960s: The Umbrellas of Cherbourgh- Love musicals, so why not check out a French New Wave one?

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The Right Stuff, Orpheus, The Manchurian Candidate

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Just watched Rear Window, a good movie, the build-up is phenomenal, no moment is wasted, the situation gets more and more desperate and dangerous, and the finale is pretty good, I probably would have loved this movie a lot more if it wasn't for the fact I knew how it was going to end, so almost all of the intensity is drained, with that said, I can appreciate the story, the characters, the cinematography and the build up. Its just not as good as it would have been had I not known anything about it before watching. Plus, I have an incredibly minor nitpick in the final scene, where the Main character falls from the window, that's a drat noticeable bad effect, at least by today standards (Although I can't help wondering if people noticed it was a special effect at the age this movie got released), overall, though, good movie.
Yet another 7/10

meanmikhail, you're watching Little Caesar, cause nothing beats Gangsters.

My list:

Shawshank Redemption - I am 100% sure it is incredibly over rated, and the concept bores me

The Godfather Part 2 - Enjoyed the first one, never got around to watching the second one, probably because I read the book and lost interest.

12 Angry Men - Actually don't know anything about this one

One Flew Over at the Cuckoo's Nest - Sounded boring

Once Upon a Time In The West - Not a big fan of Westerns, the Man With No Name trilogy being the exception

Memento - Now with the Cristopher Nolan craze due to Inception and The Dark Knight, I heard of this movie, which is apparently one of the best movies ever according to IMDB, and I was interested in it.

The Lives of Others - Never heard of it, read the concept now, sounds interesting

The Departed - Seems like a badass movie, was gonna watch it on the Cinema, but ended up watching another thing.

Reservoir Dogs - Not sure why, but I never thought of watching this movie before, even though I heard a lot about it.

There Will Be Blood - Heard great things about this movie, curious

Pulp Fiction 8/10 | Goodfellas 7/10 | Seven Samurais 6/10 | The Usual Suspects 7/10 | Rear Window 7/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SGRaaize posted:

Pulp Fiction 8/10 | Goodfellas 7/10 | Seven Samurais 6/10 | Rear Window 7/10

What movies are 10/10 for you?

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

SGRaaize posted:

12 Angry Men - Actually don't know anything about this one
One of my favorite movies ever.

The Great Dictator is a strong movie made even better when you put it in context of when it was filmed. The slapstick bits were humorous, the globe bit was amazing, and the message really weighed heavy with what was going on during 1940.

New List:

1. Some Like it Hot - Have never seen a movie with Monroe.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me (I love a good action movie).

4. The King's Speech - Number 4 goes to the most recent best picture I haven't seen. And this one is about as recent as you can get.

5. Dial M for Murder - Hitchcock all day every day.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Cars - The only Pixar movie I've never seen. I know it's not a CD favorite, but I've still heard good things.

8. American History X - All I know is swastika tattoo, curb stomping, and Fight Club like fanbase.

9. The Philadelphia Story - I know nothing about it other than the 3 stars of the movie.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8/10

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

What movies are 10/10 for you?

10/10 = Perfect
I doubt I'l ever give that rating to any movie I see. My 9/10's are the equivalent of the general 10/10, but who knows, maybe someone has made a perfect movie I didn't know about. Or maybe someone will make a perfect movie somewhere down the line.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SGRaaize posted:

10/10 = Perfect
I doubt I'l ever give that rating to any movie I see. My 9/10's are the equivalent of the general 10/10, but who knows, maybe someone has made a perfect movie I didn't know about. Or maybe someone will make a perfect movie somewhere down the line.

like the saying goes, great movies are rarely perfect movies. i mean, lord knows Casablanca isn't perfect, but christ, simultaneously, there's absolutely nothing I could possibly bear to see changed about it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SGRaaize posted:

10/10 = Perfect

:rolleyes: alright then, what movies are 9/10 for you?

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

:rolleyes: alright then, what movies are 9/10 for you?

Nothing comes to mind right now, these are the first movies I rated and I am too lazy to go check the movies I already watched and try to see which ones I would rate 9/10

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
Just watched 12 Angry Men, the fact I didn't know anything about this movie was a point in its favor, its a predictable movie, but one that does many things right, the characterizations, although arguably too in-your-face, are great, the story is great, the proof discussion and all that is average, but that's not the point, this movie is great for the characterizations alone, and its a pretty exciting and tense movie. As I said before, some characterizations are too in-your-face and the discussion is not Agatha Christie level, but the whole movie clicks nicely, enjoyed it a lot, plus, its short and to the point, no scene is wasted.
8/10

marioinblack, you're watching American History X, heard that movie is great, and yeah, it has one of the most famously known violent scenes of the cinema with the guy kicking the head of the guy on the sidewalk.

My list:

Shawshank Redemption - I am 100% sure it is incredibly over rated, and the concept bores me

The Godfather Part 2 - Enjoyed the first one, never got around to watching the second one, probably because I read the book and lost interest.

One Flew Over at the Cuckoo's Nest - Sounded boring

Once Upon a Time In The West - Not a big fan of Westerns, the Man With No Name trilogy being the exception

Memento - Now with the Cristopher Nolan craze due to Inception and The Dark Knight, I heard of this movie, which is apparently one of the best movies ever according to IMDB, and I was interested in it.

The Lives of Others - Never heard of it, read the concept now, sounds interesting

The Departed - Seems like a badass movie, was gonna watch it on the Cinema, but ended up watching another thing.

Reservoir Dogs - Not sure why, but I never thought of watching this movie before, even though I heard a lot about it.

There Will Be Blood - Heard great things about this movie, curious

No Country For Old Men - Saw the beginning of the movie, until the scene the Serial Killer shoots the Police with a empty gas canister, but for some reason (forgot what happened), stopped watching it, and haven't touched it since then. Plus, I've been spoiled about a fairly important scene that happened mid through.

Pulp Fiction 8/10 | Goodfellas 7/10 | Seven Samurais 6/10 | The Usual Suspects 7/10 | Rear Window 7/10 | 12 Angry Men 8/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
SGRazzie, I can't imagine anyone calling One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest boring. Why don't we see what you think.

I generally don't like stories about prostitutes. The characters almost always feel cliched, and Mona Lisa is only slightly better than usual. Bob Hoskins is great as a low level gangster who isn't very smart, so has no hopes to gain power in the mob. The scene in the elevator was tense, and very well shot. 3/5

Bed and Board
Hearts and Minds
A Bittersweet Life
Beauty and the Beast
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
Brief Encounter
Its gonna be a Lean night.
Night of Cabiria
I'm going to reserve a spot on my shameful list for the movie on the most lists at iCheckMovies. I don't really know anything about this one, I hadn't even heard of it until a few months ago, but its on 21 lists.
Gun Crazy
This got some love on Filmspotting. I haven't seen enough noir, besides the essentials.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

SGRaaize posted:

the discussion is not Agatha Christie level

What does this mean? It's an expression I've never heard before.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
Basically, what I mean is that the twists and turns on the evidence are fairly obvious. Not like Agatha Christie, that hides evidence very very well.
So, for example, a random Dentist Vest in the baggage of a person might not look like anything, but then at the end you find out that it was what changed everything.

Meanwhile, in this movie, the whole "the train was too loud" and "he couldn't have run if he had a bad leg" aspects were not hidden, they were fairly obvious at first check.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

TenSpadesBeTrump, give Brief Encounter a shot. It's a heartbreaking love story, and while many of his films are quite long, this one is comparatively LEAN! (I hate myself and I want to die)

Little Caesar- I was a bit disappointed at first. Edward G. Robinson's performance seemed like every "yeah, see!" gangster cartoon I'd ever seen, and it got on my nerves. But it's a pretty tightly directed movie and he becomes more human (if more ruthless) as time goes on. Also, am I the only one who sees he has some sort of thing for Douglas Fairbanks? Can't blame him. He is one fine looking piece of man.

Updated list:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious. I have access to Taste of Cherry and Ten.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: I Am A Fugitive on a Chain Gang- I liked Little Caesar pretty well, so logic says I’ll like Mervyn LeRoy’s other most famous movie. I have never seen anything with Paul Muni.

4. 1940s: Mildred Pierce- I loved Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood, couldn’t stand Yankee Doodle Dandy, and feel that I need to see more Michael Curtiz. How about this supposed masterpiece that Todd Haynes is remaking for HBO with Kate Winslet. Also: I’ve never seen a Joan Crawford film.

5. 1950s: Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

6. 1960s: The Umbrellas of Cherbourgh- Love musicals, so why not check out a French New Wave one?

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Finally seen (NOW WITH RATINGS!): The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+)

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

SGRaaize posted:

Basically, what I mean is that the twists and turns on the evidence are fairly obvious. Not like Agatha Christie, that hides evidence very very well.
So, for example, a random Dentist Vest in the baggage of a person might not look like anything, but then at the end you find out that it was what changed everything.

Meanwhile, in this movie, the whole "the train was too loud" and "he couldn't have run if he had a bad leg" aspects were not hidden, they were fairly obvious at first check.

But the movie wasn't really about solving a mystery, was it?

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

BisonDollah posted:

Part of 12 Angry Men's appeal is the way it keeps the kid's guilt in suspicion. If you want to look at it as them trying to solve a mystery then why not? It is a large part of being in a jury and it's one of the primary focuses of the film.

Yeah it's about a lot more than that, but it's perfectly ok to look at the flick SGRaaize's way.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

meanmikhail you get to watch Yi Yi (A One and a Two). I do hope that the movie lives up to it's standard cause it's going to get on my list of shame at some point.

Loved Magnolia! Those three hours felt short really. Kinda amazed that such a young director, and at the start of his career managed to make such a long and intricate movie and come out on top.(Well..YMMV) The superb acting, the fantastic long takes, the great choice in music all that was just perfect. All the coincidences and the connections didn't feel forced like some other movies(CRASH), everything just flowed nicely. I guess the weak link is the weird frog rain, which yeah it comes out of nowhere and seems to set things right, could use maybe a bit more foreshadowing(No dropping around bible cues don't count) but I'm ready to let that go cause everything else was so good.
Still I prefer There Will Be Blood to this, cause despite how fantastic every actor is in this, Daniel Day Lewis is just loving brilliant in that.

Need to work now on the rest of PTA backlog. Well...someday.

The Shame List:

Throne of Blood Only Samurai movie from Kurosawa that I haven't seen.

Once Upon a Time in America It's so long...

Dial M for Murder And now in 3D!

Bicycle Thieves Never finished watching this one, should watch the rest of it but I'm lazy. Way to lazy.

The Shinning I never watched it in it's entirety, I seem to always catch it half way through when it's on TV.

Infernal Affairs Now that I have seen The Departed, got to watch the original!

La Grande illusion Sounds like a good place to start Renoir as any other.

La Dolce Vita 8 1/2 is one of my favorite movies, but I gave up watching this one the first time. I shall endure it this time!

Days of Heaven Only saw TTRL from Mallick, need to get around the rest of his catalog.

Brazil Another movie that I just keep delaying from watching for no real reason.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

Loved Magnolia! Those three hours felt short really. Kinda amazed that such a young director, and at the start of his career managed to make such a long and intricate movie and come out on top.(Well..YMMV) The superb acting, the fantastic long takes, the great choice in music all that was just perfect. All the coincidences and the connections didn't feel forced like some other movies(CRASH), everything just flowed nicely. I guess the weak link is the weird frog rain, which yeah it comes out of nowhere and seems to set things right, could use maybe a bit more foreshadowing(No dropping around bible cues don't count) but I'm ready to let that go cause everything else was so good.
Still I prefer There Will Be Blood to this, cause despite how fantastic every actor is in this, Daniel Day Lewis is just loving brilliant in that.

Need to work now on the rest of PTA backlog. Well...someday.

Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't give you Magnolia, but I'm glad you loved it, as it is my favorite film of all time.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

Brazil Another movie that I just keep delaying from watching for no real reason.

This is a memorable one, for sure.

I appreciated Annie Hall. The script was witty, containing many classic scenes. The simultaneous therapy sessions and Allen continually breaking the fourth wall contributed to an effect like being at a play, at times. Reflections on the stages of a romantic relationship were incisive and relatively mature. The "latest" Woody Allen film I've seen, after Bananas and Sleeper. Will be adding Manhattan to the list.

Updated list:

The 400 Blows One of those classics obliged to watch at some point

The Bicycle Thief Languishing at the top of the queue

La Dolce Vita Have never seen this or any other film by Fellini

The Asphalt Jungle Catching up with Huston and noir

The Hill Off the radar but still sounds interesting

Reds Seems to be the most epic in scope of Warren Beatty

Bringing Out the Dead I like the potential of this one

Gandhi Can this movie hold my attention for the running time? The Academy believes it's worthy.

Barton Fink Recommended to me as a Coen brothers film.

The Insider I can get down with Michael Mann and Al Pacino any time, plus, intriguing subject matter.

Watched: Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep, Army of Shadows, On the Waterfront, Fantastic Planet, Annie Hall

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

That's exactly what I said in my review, it doesn't have flips and turns in the mystery, but that's not what it is about.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Noctaurus, you get Barton Fink

The Battle of Algiers is one I'll be thinking about for a while. It really pulled no punches in presenting both sides of a revolution. It's hard for me to believe a better film about similar subject matter has been made. Just harrowing, powerful stuff. One of the best films I've seen for this thread, which is saying a lot.

1) Gojira- now for a different kind of monster movie
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Sleeper- I've somehow missed this Woody Allen film
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) The Wages of Fear- sounds intense
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Wings of Desire- picked this up in the latest Criterion sale because it intrigued me
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

SGRaaize posted:

That's exactly what I said in my review, it doesn't have flips and turns in the mystery, but that's not what it is about.

Yeah, you did. I just found comparing it to Agatha Christie a little out of left-field, glad you enjoyed it though dude.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Mistletoe Donkey, The Wages of Fear definitely is intense.

Brief Encounter was a beautiful romance. I generally don't go for movies where the central story is a romance (because I have no emotions), but this one sucked me in right away. Both leads were convincing and they had excellent chemistry. Celia Johnson could say a lot with just a flutter of her eyelashes. 4/5

Bed and Board
Hearts and Minds
A Bittersweet Life
Beauty and the Beast
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
Night of Cabiria
Gun Crazy
This got some love on Filmspotting. I haven't seen enough noir, besides the essentials.
Laura
This has been on my must watch list for a while, never gotten around to it.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TenSpadesBeTrump I give you Laura, one of my first noirs and still one of my favourites.

Husbands is pretty typical Cassavetes with a stream of consciousness feel and some enjoyable but troubled characters. Maybe it was my mood but I felt a little less engaged than by his other films, the characters being a little too superficial and their troubles too undefined. Even so it was both funny and tragic and had a lot of great scenes, Falk in the casino comes to mind, just wish it came together a bit better.

Updated list:

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

The Hawks and the Sparrows Salo aside, I think I like Passolini so I should check this out.

Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray Criticker says I'll love this, it's French and it won the best Foreign Film Oscar.

Drunken Master I've never seen any Jackie Chan's pre-Hollywood film. Figure this is a good place to start.

El Sol del membrillo Curious about this, didn't even know it was a doc until just now.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 ,

What happened here?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Just finished Taxi Driver so we'll make the Scorsese connection.

Taxi Driver will stay with me for a while. The build up, the ending- it was all done very well and left me thinking. I couldn't help but wonder how much Alan Moore took from this film when he was penning that first issue of Watchmen. I'm really surprised that I hadn't seen this movie at one point or another. I am glad I did.

The LIST:
Hardware- B movie option. A cult sci-fi flick I saw on a list of "best science fiction you've never seen". Welp, I've never seen it and it has an Alien meets Terminator vibe.

Dog Day Afternoon- Dustin Hoffman, right? I love that guy. edit: I'm totally wrong. It's Pacino.

Network- I know there's a prophetic speech about television. Or cathartic. One or the other.

Blood Simple- Coen Brothers debut. Neo-noir. Dan Hedeya. I gotta see it.

Bonnie and Clyde- I know how this one ends.

The Maltese Falcon- I really want to see this one. Huston, I think.

The Searchers- A good John Wayne movie. I like westerns.

Cabaret- Let's do a musical.

Fatal Attraction- A thriller featuring an obsessive psychotic?

Popeye- Yes. The one with Robin Williams.

No longer ashamed: The Godfather, Taxi Driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Jack Does Jihad posted:

What happened here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_and_Forth_%28film%29