Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
1) Since no rules have been broken (according to LOAF) then play on. If the keeper wants to wear silly gloves, then it's up to him, provided no regulation has been violated. Whether there are regulations governing kit for any given competition is another matter however.

2) This is quite subtle, the defender has made a deliberate attempt to stop the ball going into the goal, albeit unintentionally with his hand. I'd be inclined to agree with Robert Patrick and award the penalty. Fact of the matter is, his actions were deliberate, even if the handball was not.

Besides, the big wuss should have taken one for the team and collided with the post.

3) Given that the match has not actually started, I would allow the change. Team sheets are submitted 30(?) minutes before the game, but if something were to happen during that time to any of those players before kick off, surely any manager should be allowed to field a full team regardless of the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The last ones pretty simple since I cant even count how many managers have swapped out players injured in warm ups/fell over in the tunnel/whatever.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bhyo posted:

The last ones pretty simple since I cant even count how many managers have swapped out players injured in warm ups/fell over in the tunnel/whatever.

Yeah, hasn't it happened to Barton and Vidic in the past couple of months?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, hasn't it happened to Barton and Vidic in the past couple of months?

Most recent was Ferdinand I believe, pulled up in the warm up.

Unless its a trick question and there is a specific rule about 'once the players are on the pitch to begin the game' I cant see why it wouldnt be allowed.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bhyo posted:

Most recent was Ferdinand I believe, pulled up in the warm up.

Unless its a trick question and there is a specific rule about 'once the players are on the pitch to begin the game' I cant see why it wouldnt be allowed.

I think you're right, it was Ferdinand I was thinking of.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's probably a law saying that once the teams have shaken hands/entered the field/done the coin toss, a sub has to be made in this situation.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1 - I'm going to assume there's a law about gloves and this question is more "How do you handle it", in which case I'm stopping play right there, waiting for him to change them and booking him.

2 - I'd feel bad about it but red card and penalty.

3 - It's really a question about when the match starts. Again I don't know the rules but sense to me suggests it's the whistle so I'll allow it.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

1st one shouldn't really ever occur as the 4th official (or linesman if there isn't a 4th official) should check the substitutes equipment. At worst they would hold the player on the sideline for the refs decision, they shouldn't be allowed to just run on the field. Personally I'd refuse to let him on the field with those silly gloves. Make him take them off and play barehanded for being an idiot.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
1 - booking for unsporting conduct, make him change them
2 - red card and penalty, if you give anything else then football will be filled with players diving to the ground while brushing their hand against the ball and claiming it was accidental
3 - of course he can

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Stop.

Hackett time.

quote:

1) The away side know that the size and shape of gloves isn't covered in the laws of the game (other than the requirement that they are not dangerous) – so technically gloves like this are fine. However, you need to consider whether the keeper is trying to gain an unfair advantage. Would he really have worn these gloves from the start of the game? The answer to that has to be no: they'd make holding the ball very awkward. So you need to intervene to stop the team introducing an artificial aid to gain an unfair advantage: have the gloves removed. Vinai Solanki wins the shirt.

2) It's a tough call: the opposition have been denied a clear goal by a player who was making a deliberate lunge to stop the ball. However, your decision must be based on whether he was making a deliberate attempt to stop it using his hand – and, clearly, he was not. So, while it's tough on the opposition, you should restart with a corner. Thanks to Len Corner.

3) Tell the manager he can indeed make a change to his starting line-up without sacrificing a substitution, because the game has not kicked off. The injured player can either be named as a sub, or the manager can add a different player to the bench. Thanks to David Froom.

Corner for Len Corner! If the question had been sent by John Penalty, would he have given a penalty?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I can't begin to agree with number 2.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
#1 seems like the most reasonable solution to a ridiculous problem

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Dudley posted:

Why not? It's exactly the same principle that says that if a defender gets a ball kicked at his face or his goolies at close range, there's no chance of him suppressing a reflex action to defend himself, so it can't be deliberate handball.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Handball is usually given, especially in the box, even just for having your arms raised and the ball hitting them. You can't be 100% certain it wasn't just an extremely impressive act. How many more players are going to try to pull this stunt once they know they can get away with it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Popehoist posted:

Handball is usually given, especially in the box, even just for having your arms raised and the ball hitting them. You can't be 100% certain it wasn't just an extremely impressive act. How many more players are going to try to pull this stunt once they know they can get away with it?

It's irrelevant. The question presupposes the act itself was accidental, not deliberate and came as a result of a player trying to stop himself from crashing headfirst into the goal post. It's not a deliberate handball.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Dudley posted:

you deliberately move your hand to protect your face and that's not a penalty. Raising your hands isn't the rule either or loads of sending off's i've seen would have been unfair

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think 2 is a case of following the deliberate wording of the question but in practice would be a sending off every time. There is no way a ref could see that and know it was accidental.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Bhyo posted:

I think 2 is a case of following the deliberate wording of the question but in practice would be a sending off every time. There is no way a ref could see that and know it was accidental.
But a ref could see it and think it's accidental. There's no way to know anything for sure on the pitch, so that doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure what the uproar is about. Either way a team gets screwed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Trin Tragula posted:

Why not? It's exactly the same principle that says that if a defender gets a ball kicked at his face or his goolies at close range, there's no chance of him suppressing a reflex action to defend himself, so it can't be deliberate handball.

It's not like that because it's not a surprise, he ran towards the drat post, it's not like it's come out of nowhere. Question even says he's "lunging", he's making a deliberate move that way it's his responsibility to keep away from the ball.

Or to put it another way, there's no chance of "post to hand".

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Popehoist posted:

"Deliberate" handball includes having your arms in an unnatural position. So, you can't just stand stock still on the line with your arms out like you're loving Raven or something and then claim it was ball-to-hand. It's obviously going to be a case of referee's discretion, though.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Dudley posted:

It's not like that because it's not a surprise, he ran towards the drat post, it's not like it's come out of nowhere. Question even says he's "lunging", he's making a deliberate move that way it's his responsibility to keep away from the ball.

Or to put it another way, there's no chance of "post to hand".

so your saying a footballer in that position should just let his head slam into the post in case the ball hits his hand?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Self-preservation usually trumps a deliberate handball. I certainly wouldn't send the player off unless he does it thrice a game.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

so your saying a footballer in that position should just let his head slam into the post in case the ball hits his hand?

I'm saying if he deliberately runs towards a solid object he takes the risk of causing a handball.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Popehoist posted:

Oh yes let me just hurl myself at this goalpost and there is absolutely no danger whatsoever of getting hurt if I hit it with some part of my body other than my head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTzzm4sxAZM

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

1. Give the original foul, book the player for blowing the whistle. I'm not sure you can do anything to the defender that does the foul unless it was violent.

2. Don't see the problem here at all, goal stands. You could stop play if there was a head injury, but probably wouldn't have time to before the goal.

3. Book the keeper for unsporting conduct.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

1) Book the defender for filling your whistle with saliva.
2) Award him marks of 5.7 for technicall difficulty, but only 3.3 for artistic impression.
3) Tell the striker to grow a pair, when I was at school we played in conditions like that all the time, and had to worry about more than water getting flung at us.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
1) Book the defender (potentially send him off? I don't know, blowing the ref's whistle seems like something you shouldn't gently caress with) and send off the one who hacked down the striker for violent conduct. Letter of law: restart with a drop ball. Actually: start from the original foul.

2) Goal stands what kind of question is that

3) Booking for unsporting conduct, IDF from the location of the foul.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

1) The defender hasn't really done anything wrong: It was your clear intent to blow for the foul, but you dropped your whistle. He's doing a good deed and you should buy him something nice. Play restarts from the site of the original foul. If the second foul is a bad one, then book the player who committed it.

2) I think this is a case of the striker gaining an unfair advantage from climbing the other player. Think about it like this: If the striker had piggy-backed another player to gain height to head it in, you would definitely not allow the goal. However, in this case, it was accidental, so allow the goal.

3) I question how you can book the goalkeeper for deliberately flicking water into the strikers eyes. In real life, he would always claim it was accidental and you would be pretty hard-pushed to prove otherwise. However, because we're omniscient and know that it was deliberate, it's got to be a free kick. If it was in the box, it's a penalty. Send the keeper off for unsporting behaviour.

Edit: I would be a very bad referee.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 25, 2011

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

1) Book the defender (potentially send him off? I don't know, blowing the ref's whistle seems like something you shouldn't gently caress with) and send off the one who hacked down the striker for violent conduct. Letter of law: restart with a drop ball. Actually: start from the original foul.

I think there was one recently where the whistle wouldn't work and it said that even though the whistle hadn't been blown, because the ref had intended on blowing it, play should come back to that point. Seeing as the game had been stopped, I don't think you can do anything about the later foul unless it was violent conduct, which it doesn't seem to be.

Scientastic posted:

2) I think this is a case of the striker gaining an unfair advantage from climbing the other player. Think about it like this: If the striker had piggy-backed another player to gain height to head it in, you would definitely not allow the goal. However, in this case, it was accidental, so allow the goal.

I don't think it would be against the rules to piggy-back a teammate.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

1) Play stops when the ref decides, blowing the whistle is only the signal to the players that he's made that decision. So it goes back to the original foul. "Brutally hacked down" sounds like violent conduct to me, so send him off. Don't see any need to book the guy who blew your whistle, pretty stupid of you for not having your main and spare tied to your wrists anyway.

2) Don't see a problem at all, as far as I'm aware piggy backing a team mate isn't illegal?

3) Unsporting conduct, book the keeper. Unless that counts as :siren: DOGSO :siren: ?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Mickolution posted:

I don't think it would be against the rules to piggy-back a teammate.

Im sure there was something a while back with a player being lifted by teammates to head in a corner like players do in rugby to catch a lineout that was deemed as gaining an unfair advantage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Didn't the rule change partly after North Korea used like a 4 man tower to head the ball in against Italy in a world cup?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In 1, the picture suggests it's a player on the defending team blowing your whistle, but the text sounds like the attacking team is blowing. Book everyone involved, including yourself for being such a tit, restart with a drop ball in the centre circle or something.

2) Goal
3) Goal

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

sassassin posted:

3) Goal

You'd make a great ref, giving a goal when he missed

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Oceanbound posted:

He just missed a step:

3) Take a backhander from the attacking team before the game, goal.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Oceanbound posted:

Don't be mean to young Atwell

Looking at balls all day is hard

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Mickolution posted:

Ok....

1) Book the player who blew, book or send off the player who fouled depending on the situation, give the foul, retrieve the whistle, report yourself for not having a spare.

2)Yes.

3) I call that a foul. You could make the argument it's spitting (i.e - violent conduct) but I wouldn't go that far. Shot fluffed so not a clear goalscoring chance so I'm just giving a free kick / penalty wherever it is.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dudley posted:

3) I call that a foul. You could make the argument it's spitting (i.e - violent conduct) but I wouldn't go that far. Shot fluffed so not a clear goalscoring chance so I'm just giving a free kick / penalty wherever it is.

Huh? Splashing water at the striker isn't violent conduct, it's being a cock.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

e: WRONG THREAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
1) Book the player blowing the whistle, no matter is he's right about your attempt to stop play, he shouldn't blow to stop play. Oh, and book the defender for his challenge.

2) Goal, intent does seem to account for a lot in these situations, such as the defender twatting the post but blocking with a hand.

3) Clearly unsporting, book the keeper and award a IFK.

• Locked thread