Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jim Bergerac
Jul 18, 2010

Cait posted:

Kia ora folks!

I'm trying to track down an old coin-op arcade game that I played as a very young teenager. Sadly I don't remember the name of it, but was hoping that, given enough info, someone might remember it.

It's a side-scrolling RPG themed game (though it behaved like a Contra styled game), where the main character is some kind of wizard/warlock and can shoot various magic attacks. There was a powerup that could turn you into a dragon mage and you gained a flamethrower type attack. Various powerups made you different kinds of mage, if I recall correctly.
That's about all I can remember, except that it seemed totally awesome and amazing and I barely ever got to play it because the machine was at the airport and it cost $2 a pop :-(

Much love to anyone who can give me any info.

Are you thinking of Magician Lord?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magician_Lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cait
Aug 10, 2010

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Jim Bergerac posted:

Are you thinking of Magician Lord?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magician_Lord

YES!!!
You legend. I thought I'd die without knowing what this game was called.
I wonder if I can find a machine somewhere in working condition...

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Cait posted:

YES!!!

The Neo-Geo is exceptionally well emulated. That's also one of the more common carts.

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.
I remember as a kid playing the very starting part of a game, and I couldn't get past the first 30 seconds of it without dying. All I remember is it had a light blue cartridge. It was for the NES.

Deep-Friar
Nov 6, 2010

Roses are red. Violets are blue.

I must eat Yogurt off of you.
Alright let's see if SA can work it's magic....

It was a WWII...or WWI...It was a war game, RTS, except you only commanded 3-4 soldiers.

Each soldier had specific skills, one would be able to set traps, the other would be able to cut fences etc.

I can scarcely remember one mission/scenario:

You started behind a windmill, with the task of infiltrating an airbase. You could never rush in, as your men would die instantly. You would have to set a bear trap, and lure them in, afterwhich you can make your way into the base by cutting through the fence.

Any help would be appreciated!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

JohnnyDavidson posted:

I remember as a kid playing the very starting part of a game, and I couldn't get past the first 30 seconds of it without dying. All I remember is it had a light blue cartridge. It was for the NES.

Bible Adventures has that color of cartridge. Is that it?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Deep-Friar posted:

Alright let's see if SA can work it's magic....

It was a WWII...or WWI...It was a war game, RTS, except you only commanded 3-4 soldiers.

Each soldier had specific skills, one would be able to set traps, the other would be able to cut fences etc.

I can scarcely remember one mission/scenario:

You started behind a windmill, with the task of infiltrating an airbase. You could never rush in, as your men would die instantly. You would have to set a bear trap, and lure them in, afterwhich you can make your way into the base by cutting through the fence.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sounds like Commandos or one of the sequels.

edit: Wrong game, dummy :)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Cait posted:

YES!!!

Additionally, it's also available on the Wii, PSP, and PS2 as part of the SNK Arcade Classics disc, or on the Wii Virtual Console.

Alright, here are a couple of old arcade games I probably played around 1989 or so when I was 4 or 5. I can only remember the vaguest of details. The first was some sidescrolling run and gun with a Rambo-esque hero (yeah, that narrows it down.) The biggest details I can remember are the first stage took place at night, your shots had a red tail/trail on them with a white tip, and at some point in the first level you could climb into a stationary turret and gun guys down. I think there may have also been a driveable jeep-type vehicle.

The second is a side-scrolling beat-em up or martial arts action game where the guy wore a purple or blue gi. He was super-deformed style and so were the enemies, I think. I remember very little about this except that the boxart for Mighty Final Fight for the NES sort of reminds me of it. He kind of looked like Guy.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Discount Viscount posted:

Additionally, it's also available on the Wii, PSP, and PS2 as part of the SNK Arcade Classics disc, or on the Wii Virtual Console.

Alright, here are a couple of old arcade games I probably played around 1989 or so when I was 4 or 5. I can only remember the vaguest of details. The first was some sidescrolling run and gun with a Rambo-esque hero (yeah, that narrows it down.) The biggest details I can remember are the first stage took place at night, your shots had a red tail/trail on them with a white tip, and at some point in the first level you could climb into a stationary turret and gun guys down. I think there may have also been a driveable jeep-type vehicle.

The second is a side-scrolling beat-em up or martial arts action game where the guy wore a purple or blue gi. He was super-deformed style and so were the enemies, I think. I remember very little about this except that the boxart for Mighty Final Fight for the NES sort of reminds me of it. He kind of looked like Guy.
For the first one, I can only guess MERCS or Rush 'n Attack, though I dunno about the first mission being at night.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kageki?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

It lacks turrets but you could be thinking of Data East's Midnight Resistance. Here's the Genesis port: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdN9a5Z8cbw I don't think it's in this one but the game's spread gun has large projectiles that flash red and white.

The martial arts one could be a few games too. If it's not Kageki don't worry, Taito owns this sort of game. Check out Bonze Adventure, Kuri Kinton, Ninja Kids and Kid Niki: Radical Ninja.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tC4WB8S_DU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwRPfhHFBq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iq8KeTF_9E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gry_xtTaHi8

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Bah, I don't think any of those mentioned so far are on the money, sorry, but all great guesses. Midnight Resistance is awfully close to what I had in mind, I think, but the characters are too small if I'm recalling things correctly. Kageki looks more like a fighting game, like an SD Violence Fight, and I'm pretty sure the game I'm thinking of scrolled left to right and the dude in purple wasn't so fugly.

Yeah, Neo, I have both of the Taito Legends games on PC and none of those are it, but you're right about Taito having a lot of these up their sleeve. There were several games I'd forgotten about until I got them, including Plotting, Growl, Violence Fight, and Jungle Hunt (which I only knew from my uncle playing the Atari version.)

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JohnnyDavidson posted:

Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu. If it isn't that game, then it's definitely one of the other games made by Color Dreams, or if it was Bible-themed, then it was made by Color Dreams after they changed their name to Wisdom Tree.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I remember seeing this kid I knew playing this game on a NES or SNES or something. He's in a hotel/building and when you try to get out of the exit it is actually a wormhole and you die.

There's paintings on the walls and sometimes people are hanging in corners. That's all I remember. It's probably my earliest memory of a video game and I always wondered what it was. :ohdear:

Deep-Friar
Nov 6, 2010

Roses are red. Violets are blue.

I must eat Yogurt off of you.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Sounds like Commandos or one of the sequels.

edit: Wrong game, dummy :)

Perfect! Thankyou for this.

Now I just have to get my hand on the game.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Deep-Friar posted:

Perfect! Thankyou for this.

Now I just have to get my hand on the game.

All on Steam! I think they go on sale every so often too.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
I'm trying to remember a fantasy themed puzzle game, probably for the SNES or Genesis. All I can remember is that it was very similar to Columns and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, only instead of colored blocks you had wizards, knights, rogues, etc to match up.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Dossun?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

This has bugging me for several years. I remember, as a kid, playing a PC game at someone's house. It involved bikers on a highway and at some point there was a gap that required you to acquire a hover pad to install on the bike so that you could hover across the gap. It might have been an adventure game...or maybe even an educational game? I honestly have no idea, it's a really blurry and vague memory.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

DO IT TO IT posted:

This has bugging me for several years. I remember, as a kid, playing a PC game at someone's house. It involved bikers on a highway and at some point there was a gap that required you to acquire a hover pad to install on the bike so that you could hover across the gap. It might have been an adventure game...or maybe even an educational game? I honestly have no idea, it's a really blurry and vague memory.

Full Throttle?

Xovaan posted:

I remember seeing this kid I knew playing this game on a NES or SNES or something. He's in a hotel/building and when you try to get out of the exit it is actually a wormhole and you die.

There's paintings on the walls and sometimes people are hanging in corners. That's all I remember. It's probably my earliest memory of a video game and I always wondered what it was.

Alone in the Dark? fast forward to 4:50

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 22, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Twitch posted:

Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu. If it isn't that game, then it's definitely one of the other games made by Color Dreams, or if it was Bible-themed, then it was made by Color Dreams after they changed their name to Wisdom Tree.

They also used the label "Bunch Games" for some of their releases.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Myron posted:

Dossun?

That's not it, although Dossun is another cool game I forgot existed.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

HoldYourFire posted:

Full Throttle?

Just looked this up and holy poo poo, I think that's it. I definitely remember a limo being in there somewhere for sure. Thanks man!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/jackiechan/jackie2.htm (it's down the page a bit)

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I remember playing a DOS game when I was really young. The DOS command for it was "pega" if I remember correctly...so we always just called it Pega (though Google searching yields no game with this title). You're this guy who perpetually has his arms outstretched in a "STOP!" gesture and you run around moving blocks and stuff to trap enemies. The only enemies I remember were spiders. Also, when you die you turn into a pile of ashes. I think that's all I can remember about it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LargeHadron posted:

I remember playing a DOS game when I was really young. The DOS command for it was "pega" if I remember correctly...so we always just called it Pega (though Google searching yields no game with this title). You're this guy who perpetually has his arms outstretched in a "STOP!" gesture and you run around moving blocks and stuff to trap enemies. The only enemies I remember were spiders. Also, when you die you turn into a pile of ashes. I think that's all I can remember about it.
Paganitzu

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Xovaan posted:

There's paintings on the walls and sometimes people are hanging in corners. That's all I remember. It's probably my earliest memory of a video game and I always wondered what it was. :ohdear:

Okay this is a random almost certainly wrong and stupid guess, but the way you describe it makes me think of Beetlejuice for the NES and this part of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6HjcNstq4

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I'm trying to remember a fantasy themed puzzle game, probably for the SNES or Genesis. All I can remember is that it was very similar to Columns and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, only instead of colored blocks you had wizards, knights, rogues, etc to match up.

If you're misremembering a bit, could it have been one of the Magical Drop titles? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1esEqihTuo

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Paganitzu

Thanks! Just seeing a screenshot made me feel like I was 4 again.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

HoldYourFire posted:

Full Throttle?

Alone in the Dark? fast forward to 4:50

It's closer to this than the Beetlejuice hybrid game Drunk was talking about, but the game was a first-person game. That portal thing is definitely in this game and the doors look similar but it wasn't third person.

Maybe I'm just insane?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

techknight posted:

If you're misremembering a bit, could it have been one of the Magical Drop titles? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1esEqihTuo

I don't think so, I'm also pretty sure it was a full screen puzzle, not a 1v1 deal like that one.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I'm trying to remember a worms-like game, set in space, 2d, turn-based, where each player had a spaceship and there were randomly generated planets that had their own gravity. The planets were destructible, you could choose your type of shields, and they had a weapons-editor.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys

tranceMiNuS posted:

I'm trying to remember a worms-like game, set in space, 2d, turn-based, where each player had a spaceship and there were randomly generated planets that had their own gravity. The planets were destructible, you could choose your type of shields, and they had a weapons-editor.

Warheads SE.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
These three are for the older folks: #2 is definitely a C64 game, and I think #1 is, but it may be early EGA era PC. #3 was on Amiga. I believe I remember true red and green in #1.

1) It's a sidescroller with a dude that has a sword. You could jump, swing the sword, and move from screen to screen. I believe there was a dragon to fight among other things, and it reminds me a bit of a rudimentary Faxanadu. I remember it having badass music for the time.

2) It's certainly a C64 game where you were trying to get from one end of the screen to the other, but monkeys keep jumping on your back!

3) All I remember about this was a badass lizard leaning back against a brick wall that had graffiti on it.

Entirely unrelated P.S.: Has anyone done a The Magic Candle (original) Let's Play? I wonder how well that would go over if anyone were brave enough to do one.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Nautatrol Rx posted:

These three are for the older folks: #2 is definitely a C64 game, and I think #1 is, but it may be early EGA era PC. #3 was on Amiga. I believe I remember true red and green in #1.

1) It's a sidescroller with a dude that has a sword. You could jump, swing the sword, and move from screen to screen. I believe there was a dragon to fight among other things, and it reminds me a bit of a rudimentary Faxanadu. I remember it having badass music for the time.

2) It's certainly a C64 game where you were trying to get from one end of the screen to the other, but monkeys keep jumping on your back!

3) All I remember about this was a badass lizard leaning back against a brick wall that had graffiti on it.

Entirely unrelated P.S.: Has anyone done a The Magic Candle (original) Let's Play? I wonder how well that would go over if anyone were brave enough to do one.

I'm gonna guess Rastan, Congo Bongo, and Gex

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

techknight posted:

I'm gonna guess Rastan, Congo Bongo, and Gex

Aha! Congo Bongo is spot-on! Thanks.

For the other two:

#1 has pixel graphics on par with Congo Bongo

#2 Is waaay older than Gex and had a better but still blocky look to it. Pretty sure it was pre-snes

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Nautatrol Rx posted:

Aha! Congo Bongo is spot-on! Thanks.

For the other two:

#1 has pixel graphics on par with Congo Bongo

#2 Is waaay older than Gex and had a better but still blocky look to it. Pretty sure it was pre-snes

1. C64 Wonder Boy in Monster Land? http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2887

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm trying to remember a Megadrive/Genesis game I rented some time in the mid 90s. It was some sort of top down action RPG hybrid. It looked alot like the Chaos Engine or Shadowrun. It had magic in it but was set in a more futuristic fantasy scenario technology wise. I think the 2nd level was some sort of junkyard but the whole game as much as I played it had a sort of junkyardy look to it. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Dixie Flatline posted:

I'm trying to remember a Megadrive/Genesis game I rented some time in the mid 90s. It was some sort of top down action RPG hybrid. It looked alot like the Chaos Engine or Shadowrun. It had magic in it but was set in a more futuristic fantasy scenario technology wise. I think the 2nd level was some sort of junkyard but the whole game as much as I played it had a sort of junkyardy look to it. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Technoclash? Was just looking at this - http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/genesis/2009/08/sega-genesis-megadrive-rpg-library-page-2.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
A SNES game. You were this dude and you had to enter this house, maybe it was spooky or something, I don't remember. I think you had to find the key in the yard somewhere to get in.
I never got in the house as a kid because at that time I couldn't read or speak English so I had no idea what was going on.