Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Desertfox621 posted:

About 15 MPH. I got chucked off a good bit. Neither of them spoke English well...and when the police arrived they tried to blame it on me. They said "He was coming from the (perpendicular street) and shot right in front of us. I just about said "Liar!"...but the cop pulled me aside and said "Don't worry...it's pretty obviously their fault..." Physically though, leathers and helmet did their job!

Thank goodness for cops who know the score. Man.

Glad you got away unscathed. That rear ending poo poo is scary. Between being punted into traffic or used as a ramp there aren't alot of good ways to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Crayvex posted:

You have to understand that this guy is an ex-army intelligence officer who was as conservative as they come. It was a really weird discussion that stopped being civil pretty quickly. Hey, I get pissed off by people who ignore traffic laws all the time regardless if I'm in a cage or on my bike, but I don't run people off the road or whatever.

I have to admit that many bikers do poo poo that piss people off:
- Loud baby waking ear bleeding pipes
- Darting through traffic
- Popping wheelies
- Being all around awesome which fills the cagers with jealousy

You really should proofread your posts dude. Your last point covers the first four.

e: as pennance, pull a horn mono past a line of cars this evening. Bless you my son.

Saga fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 18, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Now it's my turn.

I was going back home from St. Patty's Day festivals at 2:40am this morning. My gf was riding on her new SV behind me, and another friend was driving her SUV behind us both.

A 1968 Ford pickup truck ran a stopsign right in front of me, while I was going 45-40 mph. I braked immediately, but hit the truck.

I flipped completely head over heels. I remember the rear tire losing traction due to the hard braking. I remember the impact and the world quickly whirling through my visor.

I found myself laying on my back inside the bed of the pickup truck, my head resting against the spare tire. My legs sticking out the other side. Astonished and confused to where I was.

Here's a pic of the same truck model, and where I hit:

I remember my leather Scorpion All-In jacket and my helmet being quite comfy, along with the quite full backpack that I was carrying on my back (full of books, papers, and other school stuff, all undamaged).

My girlfriend got off her bike and started screaming and cursing at the driver, thinking I had gotten killed. My legs were just sticking out of the truck.

I rose my upper body up by my arms and started screaming and cursing at the driver. She was a 22 year old girl. She started crying and stuff. A male passenger with her tried to calm her, and us, down, and started apologizing profusely to us.

I looked over myself and my lower body. Then paramedics, cops, a firetruck, and even Channel 10 News arrived within minutes (that intersection was a few blocks away from a hospital). WTF tv news?

My upper body was fine except my lower back felt sore. My legs got banged up pretty good - my left knee and lower right leg were feeling hellaciously sore.

I was wearing jeans and a pair of North Face boots (I'm supposed to get leather riding pants in the mail any day now. grr). I know, stupid.

My SV had bounced off the truck and onto the ground, and was still running like that and got turned off by the girlfriend. And it left only a small dent on the drat truck.

I went into shock, naturally, shaking uncontrollably. Paramedics tended to me and made sure my limbs were fine, etc. I just stayed there sitting on the pickup truck's bed side, yelling at the police to check the girl's alcohol level and exclaiming how lucky I was.

After the police filed a report and dragged off my bike to a side street, I went to the hospital in my friend's SUV. Stayed up all night to get Xrays. No broken bones. Just very, very sore legs. There was a vicious bump on my right lower leg that's since subsided. Hard to walk.

Thank god it was a pickup truck. I don't know how it'd be like if it was a SUV, or a car. Man.

I'm pretty pissed off. I went back to the bike after I got out. The sliders saved the body behind the front. I'm waiting for a claims rep to come and check out the bike.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 18, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Well, the important thing is you're ok. The bonus to those weedy SV forks is they bend really easy in accidents and tend to absorb the forces that'd otherwise tweak the frame.

Now it's time to use the money from the insurance settlement to get the frame checked, swap on a GSX-R front end, and do those suspension upgrades you were dreaming of!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Was she drunk, or just stupid?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

the walkin dude posted:

I was going back home from St. Patty's Day festivals at 2:40am this morning (barely any booze in me). My gf was riding on her new SV behind me, and another friend was driving her SUV behind us both.

Too bad you hadn't been more drunk, you probably would have gotten less hurt.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Glad your ok but you should probably edit that oozbay part.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yeah, glad you're alright.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 18, 2011

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

Now it's my turn.

Time for ANOTHER SV.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Looks like stupid. Cops didn't swarm around her as a drunk driver would possibly indicate. I was in shock the whole time and didnt see her get tickets...

yoiks, editing.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Been meaning to write this up for a while, but it took this long for the aggravation to fade. In retrospect it's pretty friggin' hilarious I guess. It sucked at the time of course, but most good stories do, I think. Sorry if it is a bit long.

When I was a teenager my friend Mike and I used to ride trails out in the woods by our homes, and we knew the area like the backs of our hands. Eventually we both moved off in different direction and lost touch. I stopped riding for like 15+ years and only started again last year.

Through a total fluke, me and Mike both happened to have moved back to the same area again, and then met up through a friend of a friend. While we were catching up I mentioned I had a DRZ400. He got all excited and told me about the 450EXC that he had sitting in his garage, but barely ever rode because everyone he knows is either a Harley guy now or gave up bikes altogether.

He desperately wanted to go riding, not sometime in the future, but RIGHT THE gently caress NOW! Now this was mid-January, when we had like a foot of snow on the ground. I balked of course, but he called me a pussy and reminded me how a little bad weather never would have stopped me "back in the day."

Well saddle up, motherfucker.

We agreed to hit the trails that upcoming Sunday. I worked my rear end off getting the DRZ up and ready, put the best snow knobs I could find on it, and bundled myself up like the little brother from that "Christmas Story" movie. Most of the ride was filled with low-speed crashes into snowbanks, freezing wet misery, and decades of pent up insults getting thrown between the two of us. In other words, it was awesome!

poo poo didn't hit the fan until we were so cold and wet that we figured it was time to head back. We hit this one trail that was pretty well used by riders in the area, so most of the snow had been cleared off. It's a pretty fast trail that runs alongside a small reservoir that feeds some cranberry bogs.

We probably rode down this trail three thousand times when we were younger, so we were confident enough to push the speed. His bike was definitely better suited for the terrain so he pulled off ahead of me, which quite possibly saved my rear end that day. You see, sometime during the past, the bog owners dug an irrigation canal from the reservoir to the bog itself, which cut right across the path of the old trail. The trail had been adjusted to curve off to the left, over a small bridge, and then back to where it had been cut off.

Of course, we didn't know this. And it was getting dark, and the snow not only obscured the point where the trail turned to the left, but also created a convenient little ramp that Mike happened to hit at a pretty good clip in third gear. He probably saved himself from serious injury by bailing just as the bike launched (though he did end up with a sprained ankle we found out later).

The bike itself wasn't so lucky, though. It shot up into the air, out over the irrigation ditch, and knifed down through the ice like an olympic diver into a swimming pool. I mean, by the time we both crawled up to the edge and looked down, all we could see was the perfect silhouette of the bike and two handlebars in the snow, while icy water bubbled up from below. The loving thing had shot to the bottom like a stone, in water we would later find out was almost six feet deep.

The ditch was steep on the sides, and the ice was too thin to stand on. I was almost tempted to just say "Leave it til spring." I knew that wouldn't fly, though. Our only saving grace was that the bridge that crossed the canal was only a short distance away, and it was an actual dirt road wide enough to bring a truck down. We hopped double-up on the DRZ, rode back to his house, got his truck, and brought it back.

It was dark, freezing cold, and we were both dead tired and frustrated to holy hell by this unseen turn of events. All we had were the headlights and a couple flashlights to see. Mike, the crazy motherfucker, was so angry by that point he just grabbed some cord and jumped right down the slope. He smashed through the ice, and dove down in, and somehow managed to hook the cord up through the back wheel.

"Just yank the fucker out." He said when he emerged, shivering like a bastard. He scrambled up the ditch and jumped in the cab to warm up while I rigged the cord. Because of the angle I had to string it around a couple trees, but at that point we just wanted to get the drat thing out and get home. It took about an hour of fighting with the truck and the cord, but eventually we got the bike up through the ice, and up the embankment. We threw it into the back of the truck and rode home in dead silence other than the chattering of teeth.

Honestly, the KTM is pretty much hosed. Just about every piece of plastic on it was either torn off by the ordeal or scuffed beyond recognition. The forks are bent from the initial impact and the rear wheel got bent and snapped some spokes when I yanked it out with the truck. I'm guessing the bars, pegs, shifter, levers, and lots more are messed too. And oh yeah, all the mechanical/electrical parts spent 2 or 3 hours submerged in muddy frigid bilgewater. I'm pretty sure he hasn't even touched it since then, and it's sitting in a heap at the back of his garage.

For all the trouble we went through I kind of wish we had just left it there. Nobody would have ever known and we probably could have gotten it out now that it's warmer while causing a lot less damage in the process.

In related news, I'm now looking for a new riding buddy!

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
edit: ^^ haha thats great
If you would've left it there wouldn't everything electrical and internal to the motor been corroded beyond repair in a month?

n8r posted:

Too bad you hadn't been more drunk, you probably would have gotten less hurt.

I'm glad you're internet-BAC-tester is working so well. Have you secured funding for that poo poo?

aventari fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 19, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

aventari posted:

I'm glad you're internet-BAC-tester is working so well. Have you secured funding for that poo poo?

Expecting substance from a n8r post? We should check the results of his BAC tester on you! :v:

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

aventari posted:

edit: ^^ haha thats great
If you would've left it there wouldn't everything electrical and internal to the motor been corroded beyond repair in a month?

I'm pretty sure all the internals are wasted anyway. You're probably right though, sitting in swill for two months wouldn't have helped it.

My mindset is that at this point we would probably see salvaging it as an adventure and a fun project. Instead, the way the bike sits now, he just gets angry and changes the subject when I bring it up. I seriously won't be surprised if he just tosses it in the back of his truck and unloads it at the local landfill one of these days.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

aventari posted:

I think he is referring to the wide spread belief that being drunk during an accident makes you less likely to tense up, reducing injury as you're more likely to 'roll with the punches' than resist motion and increase stresses. I remember reading a paper disproving this theory so...

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
ah, it sounded like we has being dickish for the guy riding within a week of having a beer. eh whatever

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I think he is referring to the wide spread belief that being drunk during an accident makes you less likely to tense up, reducing injury as you're more likely to 'roll with the punches' than resist motion and increase stresses. I remember reading a paper disproving this theory so...

Sounds iffy to me. The best way to avoid injury is to attempt to slide on your hips, rear end, back, whatever, and to not just flop around and possibly start tumbling. This is assuming, of course, that you're not a dumb-dumb and are wearing abrasion-resistant clothing that covers your entire body. Sliding is such a serene experience, relatively speaking, that racers often try to get back up before they've come to a halt, resulting in some pretty funny stumbles.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Sounds iffy to me. The best way to avoid injury is to attempt to slide on your hips, rear end, back, whatever, and to not just flop around and possibly start tumbling. This is assuming, of course, that you're not a dumb-dumb and are wearing abrasion-resistant clothing that covers your entire body. Sliding is such a serene experience, relatively speaking, that racers often try to get back up before they've come to a halt, resulting in some pretty funny stumbles.

To be fair, that's a largely car-related held belief. It's said that just flopping around in your seat, held in by your belt, is better than going all Stiff Steve in a wreck. Like he said though, it's bullshit.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Unless you're a supermoto rider

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
That guy has some great videos. This guy didn't fair so well, his shoes have a special 'break-away' mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgKoXzbw13E&feature=related

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Shouting Melon posted:

Got sideswiped by a ute and trailer doing an extremely aggressive overtake past me on my way home last night, about five minutes from where I live. Guy didn't stop, but one of the cars that was behind me managed to chase him down and get his number plate, so the police will hopefully be nailing him to the wall fairly soon.

They get this guy yet?

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

hayden. posted:

They get this guy yet?

Last time I checked there wasn't a report attached to the incident number they gave me, so it hasn't even been entered into their database yet. I probably won't hear anything unless it goes to court.

Bike's getting picked up by my insurer this afternoon, which is nice.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

giundy posted:

That guy has some great videos. This guy didn't fair so well, his shoes have a special 'break-away' mode.

Do people just hang around at that corner with a camera, waiting to get crash footage?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

SlightlyMadman posted:

Do people just hang around at that corner with a camera, waiting to get crash footage?

They film actual riding too. I think they're a group that sells high-quality photos and videos to riders, a lot like track photography.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SlightlyMadman posted:

Think KillBoy only in California.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

giundy posted:

I wonder how many time that guardrail has had to be repaired/replaced.....

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, "Killboy in California" is a pretty good description. If I recall correctly, they also catch a lot of crashes at that corner because it's decreasing radius (?) and looks like it ends sooner than it actually does, so people tend to get on the gas too early and crash.

There is some video of actual riders, though.

Darko: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGCGoYuX7fI

BusaFalconer (guy can actually ride a Hayabusa!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5hl3ElcbU

Quickvr4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFm4jJ8IAs

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Holy poo poo, this is horrific but I can't look away:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1UYkrxFls4&feature=relmfu

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

-Inu- posted:

Yeah, "Killboy in California" is a pretty good description. If I recall correctly, they also catch a lot of crashes at that corner because it's decreasing radius (?) and looks like it ends sooner than it actually does, so people tend to get on the gas too early and crash.

It's not really the radius of that corner that gets people, it's the camber. It switches from being fairly banked to going off-camber midway through, and while you can't see it in the videos, it really will gently caress you up if you're already pushing your traction limits.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

This is why tank sliders are a must on the 06+ R6.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Hey guys I'm tots ready to go foot-draggin' on my scooter :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Might wanna edit that photo dude, it's proof you wear crocks

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
He's part of the deaf community. From my time at RIT, I've learned that they have no shame. :v:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Crocs on a scooter? Were you that dude who nailed the guardrail on Mulholland?

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly

SlightlyMadman posted:

FS - Yamaha R6. Been dropped once, otherwise good condition.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Surly posted:

quote:

Owned by smoker

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Surly posted:

quote:

Owned by smoker

quote:

L@@K HOT HOT HOT R6!! 4 sale QUICKKK!!!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

quote:

My boyfriend's bike, need 2 sell quick 2 pay 4 his funeral

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

R6 4 sale, open 4 trade w/ skin transplant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It's not really the radius of that corner that gets people, it's the camber. It switches from being fairly banked to going off-camber midway through, and while you can't see it in the videos, it really will gently caress you up if you're already pushing your traction limits.
There we go. I knew it was something along those lines.

Z3n posted:

This is why tank sliders are a must on the 06+ R6.
Amen. I can live with replacing plastics, rearsets, clipons, exhausts, whatever. But having every piece of the bike completely melt down isn't something worth risking over buying a $100 set of sliders.

• Locked thread