Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

northward posted:

Got a new guitar today

Plays beautifully

Need it. Want it. Gotta have it.

I got one of these:

...which will help me A) actually practice in my tiny apartment and B) more easily test out the new fuzz pedals I'm designing/building. Also got a bag full of pots/knobs/LEDs today from Small Bear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Custom pedal by SoulSonicFX:

It's called, er, Active Loop. It's a true bypass, active loop with manually adjustable gain reduction and makeup gain, and an adjustable treble boost on the output. Martin worked with me in planning the concept and put it together really well. I haven't fully put it through its paces yet because I've been more concerned with all the worrisome stuff in Japan, but tomorrow I'll be testing it fully to see if it pulls the trick it's designed to pull.

I use a bunch of different guitars and I like the way that they all sound different through my dirt pedals. I do not, however, like the way they all sound different through my effects section. Higher or lower output guitars, brighter or darker pickups force a lot of adjustment on the pedals that I'd rather not have to mess with since I really like the settings I've got dialed in on them. So, to combat this, Martin specced out this pedal based on my request. Effects go in the loop, the loop send has discrete gain attenuation, the loop return has a discrete gain boost, and they're tuned such that at reciprocal positions the end result should be roughly unity, give or take (easy to fine-tune it to make it just right). The treble boost is to make up for different guitars' sonic or pickup differences relative to what's in the loop. Ta-da.

Well, hopefully ta-da. It seems to work well but I haven't tested it very much. Tomorrow I'll know for sure if it manages to do what I was after. In any case, I can definitely commend Martin's construction quality, good parts used, neat metallic copper paint job with some dimensionality to it if you move it around in light, and willingness to suss out specific needs and put together a competently designed circuit at a fair price. Even uses a custom PCB, which was a touch I didn't expect but which I do appreciate for durability. He definitely takes pride in his work.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Picked up one of these bad boys tonight

Getting sick of not being able to save my loops on my DL4s, sucks when we start a song with a loop and I have to prep the sample before we play. Really kills the flow of our set.

Now I get to spend all night recording my samples and downloading movie clips!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Yarbald posted:

... and downloading movie clips!

YES!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Custom pedal by SoulSonicFX:
He definitely takes pride in his work.

He comes across as a really nice guy online, contributes a lot to the DIY sites. I think some of the blurb on his site is a bit waffle-y (mil-spec, audiophile components etc) but I guess that's what the market is asking for.

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.
I've acquired some new toys over the last few months - just added an X-Amp Reamp box, a Pro Co 4 channel passive DI (for use with live backing tracks and stuff), a Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp to go with the Axe-Fx (its the old 2 space design, not the new slimmer one).

The 4 channel DI is there at the bottom ^^
Here's what my home setup looks like now:

Oh and I built an e-drum kit out of my old PDP kit which had been lying in disrepair for a couple years. Someone snuck off with most of my old hardware and cymbals so I've been pretty stingy with this project. The module is a Alesis Trigger IO going into my Macbook Pro with Superior Drummer.

I built a couple different trigger designs (including the Roland style of having the trigger in the middle) before settling on the way it is now, and made the cables myself (Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors). The ride and snare are two-zone triggers, I put a second trigger in the kick but it hasn't been necessary so far.

I'll probably replace the Pearl mesh heads on the toms with more Hart ones when I have extra cash, but the Pearl ones work okay for now. Gonna make some crashes soon (right now I'm using the second tom as a crash).

gingivitis the wart fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 15, 2011

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Found sound I was looking for in the 1988 Roland D-110's LA synthesis, picked up a PG-10 programmer along with it for 90€ total (with shipping).

Gonna be a day or two until I figure out how to program properly. Surprisingly nice and clean sound for what it is, often a pleasure for the ears, nice amount of sysex appliable patches online for it.

e: Spent 15 minutes listening to the same C2 notes from the same patch just toying with the programmer seeing what I could do for a bassline. There's good poo poo to be had outside of analogue gear and VAs I tell you that. Just not that fun without a programming unit. I'm scrapping my idea of getting a 303 clone for basslines, this one does the trick and sounds original!

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 17, 2011

Ozymandius
Oct 9, 2007

Someone decided to get me a gift! I'm up to how many amps now?

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
I am thinking about getting a Technics SX-PV10, but I cannot find any reviews. Has anyone played one?

http://imgur.com/0UrkD

The Age of Decay
Mar 17, 2005

I am good at computer,
I just picked up a USA made G&L L-2000

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That'd probably be the bass I would get if I could afford to have whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I had a horrible experience with Rondo Music when I decided to get my first 8 string. I ended up returning the Septor and dealing with Drum City Guitar Land instead and bought the guitar I really wanted in the first place. I ordered a Schecter C-8 Blackjack in lovely aged white. Without sounding like a lovely generic review, I just want to say DCGL is an amazing place. They sent me an email asking me how I wanted my guitar set up (gave me an extra set of strings too), what picks I used (they gave me 8-9 free picks of my choice, what size shirt I wore, and so on. I ended up with a flawlessly set up guitar and tons of free swag.

:gizz:

Extended range family portrait

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 18, 2011

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Age of Decay posted:

I just picked up a USA made G&L L-2000

Ugh, I sold my G&L L-2000 a year ago and I still miss it. Bad decision. :(

Mine looked exactly like yours, too, just a righty.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
My bassist was going crazy buying and returning Squiers. I finally talked some sense in to him...or perhaps just steered the crazy in the right direction.

My modified MIM P-bass is on the left.

Yes, it is the best sounding bass I've ever played.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got a new amp.

I've been playing so much I forgot to get food. I am going to go get food and will do a write-up in a minute.

Regardless, here is a recorded sample. GUESS THE AMP!
http://tindeck.com/listen/hqni

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

I had a horrible experience with Rondo Music when I decided to get my first 8 string. I ended up returning the Septor and dealing with Drum City Guitar Land instead and bought the guitar I really wanted in the first place. I ordered a Schecter C-8 Blackjack in lovely aged white. Without sounding like a lovely generic review, I just want to say DCGL is an amazing place. They sent me an email asking me how I wanted my guitar set up (gave me an extra set of strings too), what picks I used (they gave me 8-9 free picks of my choice, what size shirt I wore, and so on. I ended up with a flawlessly set up guitar and tons of free swag.

:gizz:

Very nice! I'm curious though, what happened with Rondo? I've always heard/had good experiences with them.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Barn Door posted:

My bassist was going crazy buying and returning Squiers. I finally talked some sense in to him...or perhaps just steered the crazy in the right direction.

My modified MIM P-bass is on the left.

Yes, it is the best sounding bass I've ever played.

How is it modded?

The Age of Decay
Mar 17, 2005

I am good at computer,

Scarf posted:

How is it modded?

I see an aftermarket neck with weird string trees.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Manky posted:

Very nice! I'm curious though, what happened with Rondo? I've always heard/had good experiences with them.

My guitar came with a cracked fretboard and Kurt tried to say I probably broke it myself and am trying to get another guitar off them. He then wouldnt respond to any of my emails so i sent it back for a refund (still waiting for the money to clear). They're definitely not getting business from me as long as they have him involved. I'm not really a fan of their straight from the factory approach either. Basically they rubbed me the wrong way entirely. I'm sure others have had nice experiences though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
How the hell do you crack a fretboard?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

My guitar came with a cracked fretboard and Kurt tried to say I probably broke it myself and am trying to get another guitar off them. He then wouldnt respond to any of my emails so i sent it back for a refund (still waiting for the money to clear). They're definitely not getting business from me as long as they have him involved. I'm not really a fan of their straight from the factory approach either. Basically they rubbed me the wrong way entirely. I'm sure others have had nice experiences though.

My AL-3100 had a low E fret buzz and after suggesting a few ways to fix it offered to let me send it back and get another.

It really just needed minor adjustments, though. I had a really positive experience.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

How the hell do you crack a fretboard?

Send it through UPS.

Or really screw up a truss rod adjustment.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Sold my Ibanez Prestige S5470 and Epiphone Slash Goldtop... picked this baby up on eBay earlier today, hopefully will have it by next weekend.

It will replace my Single Rectifier.... I am stoked! I was between getting this, the Mark V, or a Roadster.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 21, 2011

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

I looked at a copy of a background check that my employer ran on me, and saw a "complaint" filed by my downstairs neighbors, of them bitching to the cops about my guitar playing. fuckers!

with that known, i picked up an iRig, and a fender pack, for late night jams.

Its quite decent sounding for solid state emulation. Definitely worth checking out if you're too drat cheap to buy a pocket pod.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
They tell me there ain't nothing like a Tele. Too bad this ain't nothin' like a Tele.

Or is it? Well, I'll find out when I get home. Till then, I guess I got to keep it in the closet.

Update:
Oh yeah. This was worth every penny. The neck feels fantastic compared to the old baseball bat, and the body is comfortable sitting or standing, and it just sounds good. Not clean. Good. That twang is exactly the little feedback you want when playing. The humbucker in the neck works just fine for rhythm, but the bridge is a beautiful thing. Yeah, I'm done for a while, I think. Well, till I rebuild the Strat again. This thing has to be half the weight of the parts-o-caster. Can't be more than six or seven pounds. (yes, that means the partsocaster is insanely heavy.)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 22, 2011

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hammer Floyd posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Firstly, I am so in love with this amp. Each time I walk into my room and see it, I cant help but grin like a doofus.

The only flaw with this amp is the lack of reverb. Easily fixed by getting a reverb pedal and leaving it plugged into the FX loop. I was thinking of the EHX Holy Grail Nano, but the Red Witch Seven Sisters Delay has a Lithium Ion battery. In other words, I leave it plugged in at home, then when I gig (2 more rehearsals...if they go according to plan, we start looking) or rehearse or whatever, I unplug it and the battery stays charged for the whole day easy. That's more convenient but those aren't out yet.

So apart from those two possibilities, any suggestions?

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Hammer Floyd posted:

Firstly, I am so in love with this amp. Each time I walk into my room and see it, I cant help but grin like a doofus.

The only flaw with this amp is the lack of reverb. Easily fixed by getting a reverb pedal and leaving it plugged into the FX loop. I was thinking of the EHX Holy Grail Nano, but the Red Witch Seven Sisters Delay has a Lithium Ion battery. In other words, I leave it plugged in at home, then when I gig (2 more rehearsals...if they go according to plan, we start looking) or rehearse or whatever, I unplug it and the battery stays charged for the whole day easy. That's more convenient but those aren't out yet.

So apart from those two possibilities, any suggestions?

Depending on your price point, there are lots of good options out there.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Depending on your price point, there are lots of good options out there.

I don't have one, but if you're rich the Strymon Blue Sky is supposed to be awesome. I love my El Capistan tape echo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Narwhale posted:

Send it through UPS.

Or really screw up a truss rod adjustment.

The shelf area below the 24th fret looked like it was broken and glued back on at a weird angle. No idea how they managed to do that.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's been a good first quarter of 2011. I scored a crappy acoustic gig last Sunday and decided it might be time to upgrade from the Alvarez.

I got it used at Gtr Ctr for $625 plus case. Love the thing. Sounds good plays good and manages feedback really good. Well. Gooder than the Alvarez. And then figured, poo poo, I'll need one of them Line6 DL4s with the looping and poo poo. Sure, why not.

I hate music stores.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
WHAT WHAT

1997 (Japanese) Squier Venus. These were only produced for about two years and it's a great player, really nice surf-type tone and a satisfying neck. The neck pickup is versatile and nice response, the bridge pickup is okay but a little cloudy (though it sounds okay with a little dirt); I'm considering swapping it out but given the lack of tone control, I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort. Note the lack of a tailpiece and the binding on the neck. Also Courtney Love helped design this.

BUH BO

Rumble 30 bass combo, aka another impulse buy. A local mom & pop music store was getting ready to move to a new location and was cutting some deep discount prices so they'd have less poo poo to haul around. These sell for $180 online and they let me have it for $135 + tax. I was eyeing the larger (75 & 150 watt) Rumble combos there even though I realize that road would only lead to hearing damage and a torch bearing mob in front of my house. This thing is plenty loud for basement jam sessions and could probably make an okay stage monitor or backyard PA in a pinch. It also has built-in distortion and an RCA line if you want to jam to a backing track.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Something new just came to my door in a big brown truck. It's a Gold Tone Paul Beard signature square neck resophonic. I thought my cheap Johnson reso sounded good but this thing is on an entirely different planet. The tone is richer and the sustain rivals my electric lap steel. It really sounds plugged in even though it is an acoustic.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I'm starting to put together an album after sitting on dozens of songs-in-progress for years now, and made a couple purchases to supplement my home studio:

A BCF2000 MIDI interface with motorized faders - this thing works awesome with REAPER, especially since someone on the REAPER forums already made an awesome program setup for it.

A Studio Projects C1 large condenser. I'm actually a little disappointed in this one - the mic is great and all, but I already have a Rode NT1a, and for some reason I thought the C1 would give me a little bit different sound, but they sound almost completely indistinguishable from each other... I should have done a little more research before I impulse-ordered it, especially since zzounds doesn't accept returns on microphones :/ I'm now thinking of sending it in to this guy to mod it and give it more low/mid punch.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I know I mentioned this purchase a couple of pages ago but I just noticed something a little... Uh, well...

On the Left, you have the lady's Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation unit, and on the right, you see the In-ear monitor receiver. No, there's NO WAY this can result in a hospital visit. Nope.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
I'm gonna tase you and take your StudioLive

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh, that's not a taser he's got there!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I found my reverb pedal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cMpaEDSF8M

If you've ever been interested in a reverb pedal, do yourself a favour and check this sucker out. For 150 bucks this is pretty loving impressive.

Ordering it as we speak.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I want that reverb pedal and have tossed it in my wishlist, but... not yet.

Slightly better picture of the Telemaster. It's everything I wanted and more. Might reverse the control panel later, when I get around to screwing with swelling while playing, which is part of why I went for this and not the Malden version.

And if you like Teles... check this out.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Apr/RS_Guitarworks_TeeVee_Custom_Electric_Guitar_Review.aspx
The TeeVee. Nifty! But expensive. Still cheaper than a _real_ telemaster, though.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Feb/Fender_Custom_Shop_Telemaster_Prototype.aspx
Six grand for this? I think not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

NWS that poo poo man, it's the guitar equivalent of a triple penetration scene.
I recently picked up a Harley-Benton something or other 7 string off Ebay for £80- came fitted with a .52 low B. WHY?!?!?! .60'd that poo poo straight away, made a huge difference. Don't have a pic, but it looks like somebody has been studying Ibanez very closely.